Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Alternate activity to squats

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I squatted too heavy and hurt my back like an idiot. I've taken 2 weeks off of lifting. (although I did play alot of basketball one of the weeks)

My back feels OK now, but I am hesitant to do heavy squats or leg presses.

So I am thinking of doing sprint training and using hamstring curls and calf raises.

I also hurt my shoulder while benching. I am going to do lighter work with dumbbells, and or go for a more narrow grip on the bench, which will work more of my triceps, but also limit the strain on my shoulder.

I'm thinking of going to a more functional strength workout. Adding pullups for my back and arms and dips (instead of the lat pulldown, skullcrunchers or triceps dummbell extensions, and heavy dumbbell curls for the bicep).

I think this will give me a break from the heavy training I've been doing without causing too much decline in mass.

Does anyone else have any other good training ideas for someone with injuries?

The-Missing-Link

Don Juan
Reaction score
You could pay more attention to your abs and lower back, at least i did that when i injured my shoulder. It paid off too.

wheelin&dealin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why don't you work on your form at lower weights instead of getting a big ego by lifting heavy weights with bad form?

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I thought I was being pretty careful with form. I've been lifting for several years, but my weights were starting to get a fair amount heavier than they used to be, by persistent training.

I don't think my shoulders were ready for the weight I was using that day.

It was in the heavy, low rep range 5-6 reps.

Phrozen

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you are lifting with proper form I don't even know how you could mess up your back. You wear a belt when squatting right?

You're back should remain straight for each rep there should be no movement anywhere except in your legs.

Soshyopathe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you wear a belt during lifting, you don't develop your inner core of power. Your inner abs under the rectus abdominus and spinal erectors don't get worked like they should. You're asking for injury down the road if you train with a belt.

Before you start squatting heavy, do heavy abwork for a few weeks. Hug a plate and crunch on an incline bench. Do some hyperextensions or goodmornings for your lower back. When you're ready to step inside the power rack again, start in the 12 rep range, and work your way back down to 8 or so. A 5-6 rep squat is hard work for anyone. It's not dishonorable to take a few plates off so you can go down slower, back straiter, ass lower. The experienced guys will respect you for it.

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This happened to me awhile ago, but because I hurt my back clean and jerking, then reinjured it squatting. Nothing major though. What you do is tighten your abs like a plate of armor when you're squatting or cleaning. This works WONDERS, not to mention works more muscles when you do the actual exercise. Haven't had any back problems since.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't use a belt and I probably didn't tighten my abs.

I'm taking a bit of time off squats. I took 2 weeks off of lifting alltogether due to a shoulder injury as well.

I will be more careful that's for sure!