alpha male vs. beta male

Reaction score
Originally posted by squirrels
Also, the alpha-beta scale is NOT absolute. It's possible for for there to be, say, three people where between A and B, A is alpha, between B and C, B is alpha, and between C and A, C is alpha.

Which means in the group of the three of them, not one of them really excels as the proverbial "alpha male".
no this kind of thinking is wrong, an alpha male is an alpha male in all settings, and they are rarer than many in this thread suggest.

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
Originally posted by seabreeze
I think for women, we choose a man based upon what we personally feel is alpha and not so much on what is dictated by society. At least mature women do.
SB
MATURE women do, yes, but so do MATURE men.

One of the biggest flaws in female thinking is the way they believe that the are NATURALLY gifted with understanding romance and romantic relationships SOLELY by the virtue of being female. This is a stereotype and a myth perpetuated by society. The average woman knows as much about love as the average man...which is to say they know jack sh!t.

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
Originally posted by huge_guy_pimpin
no this kind of thinking is wrong, an alpha male is an alpha male in all settings, and they are rarer than many in this thread suggest.
Yes, the TRUE alpha is someone who doesn't care what ANYONE thinks. But don't tell me you've never been in one situation and not given a f**k, but then been around a different group of people and suddenly been very conscious of what they thought of you.

The mystical ideal of "true Alpha Male" is hard to achieve...and may even be detrimental.

m4a1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by huge_guy_pimpin
What happens when you put a bunch of alphas together?

Marcopolo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I notice a trend-most of the people who think that being an Alpha is absolute and that they all have a certain set or traits (i.e. dumb jock, or "jerk" traits), these people are still in high school. Once you get out of high school you will realize the world is not quite so simple.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Put this in the pot while you're about it.

By nature I would say I am a beta:eek: :eek:

However I have 'learned' the ability to be an Alpha, to adopt the mindset and only recently, been able to dominate the pecking order after a while in most groups.

Now sometimes it's more expedient to be the Alpha. Quite often though I prefer to be a beta and manipulate the group via influencing the alpha.

Crafty little fvcker sometimes.;)

seabreeze

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ya, I agree, Marco. I think the alpha thing is arbitrary even with "alpha male." One guy might behave in an IDGAF attitude in one situation, but undoubtedly he'll be faced with another one where he has to care. I think all men possess the ability to flow in between being alpha in one instance and beta in another.

Usually, once a woman falls in love with a guy she views all of his actions as alpha. Even when they don't make sense to her!

And squirrels, a wise woman knows that she's no better at quantifying what true romance and love is than a man. And an even WISER woman looks forward to learning even more about all of that from the man that she loves, instead of thinking she already knows all that there is to know about it.
SB;)

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
An Alpha Male takes charge, commands respect, not afraid to talk to people, and is generally the leader.

Beta follows instead of leads. Take this as the "submissive" type of guy. Quiet, reserved usually. You would never think of them as a leader.

It is a womens preference as to which type of guy they like. Some like the guy to take charge, while some like the guy to be all "yes mastriss."

m4a1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It is a womens preference as to which type of guy they like. Some like the guy to take charge, while some like the guy to be all "yes mastriss."
I believe it's "mistress". :cool:
mastriss lol.

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by m4a1
I believe it's "mistress". :cool:
mastriss lol.
I still like "mastriss." Almost like "master," but with that femine sound. :p

seabreeze

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mmmm. Sorry to admit this but, I like the sound of that "mastriss" word. For two reasons, it does sound more like the word master but it also sounds like the word mattress. Do you think maybe I'm an alphemale?
SB

genomik

Reaction score
While I think Alpha, Beta are somewhat relevant, I play by a different game. I am an alpha in my own game. There are many different measures of alpha vs beta - for some it is money, others style, others accomplishment, others muscle. For me it is more like wit, style, confidence and some others. I try to go out of my way NOT to play the alpha game in general.

Many quality women see that I do not play the game, rather i surf the game of alpha/beta and I think this makes me interesting. Girls like guys who do not play the rat race game, or at least the women I like.

Because if you play the game (money or muscle for example) then you will attract for instance gold diggers. Later if you lose the money or muscle, you lose the girl!

I think actually an alpha is someone who is a free thinker, does not play alpha games, but is still sort of an alpha in their own mind, and to the women that they want to meet.

Many that wear alpha on their sleeve are not actually alpha, but are insecure deltas. Many alpha business guys step into my club world and are fish out of water. Alpha is mostly irrelevant.

m4a1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I like the way you think, genomik, nice first post. :D

Ladiesssman

Don Juan
Reaction score
If being alpha is natural being a leader, would it be circumstancial?

Example, Clinton is a leader in politics, but if he was put in military, would he be still alpha. What if he doesn't have the physical and mental ability as military strategist? What if he chickens out when it comes to killing and getting shot at. What if he's so afraid of life and death?

Wouldn't someone be a leader in social situation, yet not in other kind of situations?

I would say Buddah is alpha. He knows what he wants. He's probably alpha in both his religous and phisiological doctrine and would have been the same if he were to pursue in military and political term. Buddah, before he was born, his father the king had a fortune telling on him. The fortune teller says that when he's born, he'll be either be the greatest emporor which conquer half of the world, or he'll be a monkhood Buddah. Either way he choose, he becomes great. He chose to be Buddah. Why??? I think because of his personality. He knows what he wants and he's determined to have his goal achieved.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Originally posted by squirrels
Yes, the TRUE alpha is someone who doesn't care what ANYONE thinks. But don't tell me you've never been in one situation and not given a f**k, but then been around a different group of people and suddenly been very conscious of what they thought of you.

The mystical ideal of "true Alpha Male" is hard to achieve...and may even be detrimental.
well to truely say i dont give a **** wut people think wud mean im some type of anti-social freak, but apart from hygiene i really dunt care wut people think.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Marcopolo
I notice a trend-most of the people who think that being an Alpha is absolute and that they all have a certain set or traits (i.e. dumb jock, or "jerk" traits), these people are still in high school. Once you get out of high school you will realize the world is not quite so simple.
u have no idea of the topic at hand and your rather immature remarks do a disservice to anyone associated with you.

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by seabreeze
Scrum...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm afraid of men who appear to be beta males. I don't view the nice, quiet type guy as a pushover weak guy, like some women do. Sometimes these types of guys are damn brutal!
Are you saying you think nice guys put up a front?

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Are you saying you think nice guys put up a front?
Yes they do, the so called AFC is after the same thing every other guy is, he just thinks that being a nice guy/doormat will get him in the girls pants faster then just being himself.

If you think about it, the actual "nice guy" is the biggest manipulator of all.

Silquee Smoove

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
An Alpha Male takes charge, commands respect, not afraid to talk to people, and is generally the leader.

Beta follows instead of leads. Take this as the "submissive" type of guy. Quiet, reserved usually. You would never think of them as a leader
Very well put in most social situations and is on-point.;)

The idea of being "alpha" is figurative to me.

If you follow any religion or form of thought, then you're following and adhering to it's precepts, thus you're both a follower of the religion/school of thought and also, a leader acting as its teacher to the uninitiated.

If you are buying those nice Nike Air Force Ones or those stylish Lugz then you're wearing their brand and are in fact, free advertising for them.

That's why businessmen have a tendency to promote their own underground product vs. that of someone else's.

Many that wear alpha on their sleeve are not actually alpha, but are insecure deltas. Many alpha business guys step into my club world and are fish out of water. Alpha is mostly irrelevant.
I've noticed that too, Genomik, being "alpha" is situational and really only truly occurs, after you have had the experience and wisdom to know what you are doing and to take charge.