Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Alcohol doesn’t go down like it used to

jaymbrs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I’m reaching the point where drinking just isn’t much fun anymore. I end up feeling bloated and it throws my diet completely off. It’s like my body is telling me to chill out. And when I do go out partying, the buzz is weaker and if I do get drunk, I just get sleepy. I’m living the single life and unfortunately alcohol has netted me alot of *****. I guess I need to figure out something else. Anyone else hit a point like this as they got older?

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I’m reaching the point where drinking just isn’t much fun anymore. I end up feeling bloated and it throws my diet completely off. It’s like my body is telling me to chill out. And when I do go out partying, the buzz is weaker and if I do get drunk, I just get sleepy. I’m living the single life and unfortunately alcohol has netted me alot of *****. I guess I need to figure out something else. Anyone else hit a point like this as they got older?
Used to go out and drink water. Never was an issue. People actually respect it. Has led to quite a few conversations with random people including numerous women.

Alcohol is simply a crutch many people use. Once you stop, you realize it was never needed in the first place.

jaymbrs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yes, at around your age.

The sweet spot for the "buzz" between sober and too self-conscious and too drunk to communicate effectively gets narrower and narrower as you get older. Sometimes it only lasts a few minutes, literally.

This is partially tied into the increasingly bad hangovers. Mine last 2 days now. If Im drinking regularly (I dont anymore) I sober up and start hangover symptoms like irritability and anxiety WHILE DRINKING and I have to drink fast to outpace them. Beer hardly can be drunk fast enough.
The sweet spot for the "buzz" also takes longer to reach. Once there, I down 2+ more and go straight to drunk. I also get sleepy as soon as I stop drinking. So this may be related to what you're saying. It's a literal snowball effect: I'll drink at a reasonable pace my first 1-3 drinks, then the next 3 I'll drink them fast, and so on.
Your mental faculties get worn down with continued drinking. Im no longer more charming Even with the social anxiety reduced from alcohol, you'll find that you might even be more outgoing before you even take your first sip because you feel more confident in your thought processes. Almost the opposite result from when you were drinking younger and you were reasonably sharp even under the influence, or the alcohol even allowed you to be more intellectually flexible/experimental/reactive. Add in the added fatigue and generally boring demeanor with age, and alcohol just exacerbates your social negatives at a certain age in my opinion.

You start to resent yourself for abusing your body and brain when you drink rather than having fonder memories. Drinking when older doesnt have the level of energy it did when younger, when you felt a false sense of accomplishment and were surrounding yourself with attractive women.
I'm definitely going through this now. I train hard during the week, eat well and I just throw it all away over some drinks on a Saturday that usually end up being average. And we all know about metabolisms as we age. It's such a b*tch trying to lose a few now.

Good post, LA.

Barrister

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I haven't noticed a change while drinking yet. I still enjoy drinking although I try to avoid excessive drinking if I can. Reason being I have begun to notice that my hangovers last much longer the following day now even if I use hydration tricks the night before. Back in college, we always had a rule of drinking two large glasses of water or gatorade right before going to sleep if you were drunk. Normally, I woke up feeling pretty good the next morning so long as I did that. Now, it doesn't really seem to make a dent in me feeling like sh1t the next day. And if I have to go to work, having a bad headache from drinking is just a killer for productivity.

Dr.Suave

Reaction score
I liked to drink when I was underage, it was like the forbiden fruit. Then I turned 18 and it was like meh.

M

member160761

I like to drink wine once in a while. Wine is reinvigorating my spirit, while beer makes me tired or jittery and hard liquor gets the demons out of me. Also, with wine I have a headache the next day at most but my body feels cleansed, while too much of anything else feels like poison during and the day after.

threeforfree

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't like alcohol or what it does to me. The only time I drink it is when I'm in a bar or club where it's a social thing, and I limit my intake there. I much prefer something like Delta 8. No side or residual effects for me.

Bingo-Player

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In the UK binge drinking culture is still one of the strongest cultures here

During the weekend people of all ages like to drink like its their last day on earth

"going out for the sake of it" stopped appealing to me by about 26

now i am 30 i will need a lot of convincing to go out and would much rather spend my time making money or watching tv in bed with a takeaway

When i do go out i find myself being sick the next day and bed bound for at least 12 hours i just can't afford that kind of downtime for nothing

My Girlfriend (23) has started to see the light and enjoys staying in now too

We will share a bottle of wine in bed or something got no problem with that

jaymbrs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In the UK binge drinking culture is still one of the strongest cultures here

During the weekend people of all ages like to drink like its their last day on earth

"going out for the sake of it" stopped appealing to me by about 26

now i am 30 i will need a lot of convincing to go out and would much rather spend my time making money or watching tv in bed with a takeaway

When i do go out i find myself being sick the next day and bed bound for at least 12 hours i just can't afford that kind of downtime for nothing

My Girlfriend (23) has started to see the light and enjoys staying in now too

We will share a bottle of wine in bed or something got no problem with that
When I was in a relationship, staying in was MUCH easier and more appealing. But as a single man, I get FOMO (Fear of missing out) and feel obligated to go out on weekends to mingle and meet women. But I'm finding the positives of alcohol are being outweighed by the negatives, in particular when I either end up with a chick I don't care for or going home alone drunk.

In2theGame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I cannot hold alcohol like I used to in my late 20's early 30's. Now I have hangovers that can last up to 4 days.

I actually feel "down" after a few days when I drink heavily. I can have maybe 3 - 4 drinks max for me not to have a massive hangover physically/mentally.

I still love to go out and have a good time but the days of heavy drinking are out the window for me.

2Rocky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've noticed I get irritable after drinking and my hangover symptoms arrive sooner. I seldom have the classic hangover unless I really over indulged. Mostly it is feeling tired as if I had not slept well.

The 2-3 drink area is the sweet spot for me. But beer is less and less fulfilling.

Giovanni SouthSide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
very smooth rejuvenating combo. Sometimes I dont even finish the pinner, a couple hits and it gets me there. Girls will not turn down a hit if you make the ambient comfortable and set the mood right. Im in SoCal so maybe the culture is a bit different

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Huberman labs has a good podcast on alcohol.
One of the main reasons to limit drinking is it's negative effect on sleep. You also tend to make poor dietary choices.
I like to go out, just find my danger zone kicks in once i have 2 beers. Once i have a couple i end up several having more and it's so easy to have a couple beers unfortunately, which breaks down my willpower.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I limit drinking to social only, and maximum 2 for the entire night. Lately I prefer wine. Hard liquor makes me sick now and beer makes me pee every 5 minutes for the rest of the day. I am 33.

Jesse Pinkman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I limit drinking to social only, and maximum 2 for the entire night. Lately I prefer wine. Hard liquor makes me sick now and beer makes me pee every 5 minutes for the rest of the day. I am 33.
This is not normal. If I were you, I would get my Liver checked and get a full panel blood test (not the average one that doctors give you). For all we know it is nothing but it could be early signs of something serious that might get really bad as you get older.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is not normal. If I were you, I would get my Liver checked and get a full panel blood test (not the average one that doctors give you). For all we know it is nothing but it could be early signs of something serious that might get really bad as you get older.
I did. My liver and kidney function is all healthy. I don’t actually get “sick” literally, I just don’t like being intoxicated. Hard liquor feels worse than wine.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The sweet spot for the "buzz" between sober and too self-conscious and too drunk to communicate effectively gets narrower and narrower as you get older. Sometimes it only lasts a few minutes, literally.
This is also my experience, I've never really been a big drinker except for points during my twenties. I noticed this phenomenon probably by the time I hit my 40s. I've decided I don't have the alcoholic gene because I've never felt like I needed it, it's never gotten a hold on me. I almost envy alcoholics sometimes, because they seem to still get some sort of kick out of it, whereas at this point it doesn't really do anything for me and I have no real interest in it. These days I might have a drink every few years or so, if that.