Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

AI will NOT replace Artists

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
At least, I hope not.

I could be wrong.

The release of Midjourney, DALL-E 2, Stable Diffusion, and other similar programs, have made a big splash in the art community, with some artists reasonably concerned that it signifies the end of commercial art careers.

As someone on Twitter said, “If creative jobs aren’t safe from machines, then even high-skilled jobs are in danger of becoming obsolete. What will we have then?”

An AI artwork even won an art competition.*

(* The guy who ran the AI prompts said it took him 80 hours of work, so there’s still a good amount of labor to find the really good stuff.)

In first impression, the artwork generated by AI is mind-blowingly good, but rendering a concept is really only the beginning stage of the creative process. You still need to go through rounds of changes to improve an design to get closer to what you (or a client) exactly want.

The intrinsic problem with AI, at least for right now, is that you can’t really make any changes. You can run a prompt again, with a revised set of keywords, but the results are random. With each render you might get closer to what you want, but equally you might also get farther away. It’s a roll of the dice.

Human artists, engaged in the process of refinement, are more linear.

So why not just program an AI to make design decisions like a human?

Because it’s incredibly hard. So hard, in fact, that in AI research a problem that requires an AI to be as intelligent as a human to solve is called “AI-hard” (great name, folks) or “AI-complete”. There’s also significant doubt among AI researchers that it’s even a possible outcome or worthwhile pursuit.

I’m willing to bet design is an AI-complete problem.

To make a fully automated designer you have to first program an AI that is as smart and creative as a human being. In that case you might as well hire a qualified human.

It’s more likely that AI will become a tool for designers to use in parts of the process where it makes sense. Crunching large amounts of data and identifying patterns. Or generating a wide variety of possible solutions and selecting the best based on inputs and criteria from human designers. In fact, it already is being used this way with generative design tools.

It’s possible that AI tools will replace or enhance some parts of a designer’s craft. But a designer’s tools have always been evolving. CAD software has totally replaced paper drafting. Fast, easy, photo-realistic rendering has made high-fidelity visualization by hand all but obsolete. 3D printing has replaced foam shaving.

Emphasis will shift to more of the synthesizing, integrating, and refining parts of the design process that can’t be easily automated. These higher-level functions are where future designers will hone their craft.”

(Source: https://www.anson.design/newsletter/will-ai-take-your-design-job)

Artists will not be replaced, but artists will need to adapt.

thermodynamic

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Simply put - art is not so much about the quality of the art but who painted it. Theres a guy who drips paint on canvasas like a three year old and his painting sell.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
First, OP is right. AI is lacking a pineal gland and hence, imagination. Secondly, to @thermodynamic's point, modern art is to a large degree a money laundering scam.

Gamisch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Unfortunately I believe eventually artists will be replaced by ai, although there will always be the human awareness . A great artist is able to trigger emotion. What form he uses is up to him.

The same will happen with music. Already ai is being used to by big producers to mix songs. Most great chord progressions and melodies are known and used frequently already (think the jazzy 2 5 1 progression ect). Music already sounds very digital for years anyway. You wont be able to tell whether a human or AI made a song.

The cool thing is tho, that maybe in the future they can perfectly sample the voice of dead artist like Tupac , Elvis or who ever, and make new songs like this.

The benefit painters and other physical artists have over musicians for now, is that the materials that they use and how the execute matters. I think it's more digital designers feeling the heat than actual painters.

And let's be honest . If somebody shows you art online, you already wont be able to tell if it's machine made or men made.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Unfortunately I believe eventually artists will be replaced by ai, although there will always be the human awareness . A great artist is able to trigger emotion. What form he uses is up to him.

The same will happen with music. Already ai is being used to by big producers to mix songs. Most great chord progressions and melodies are known and used frequently already (think the jazzy 2 5 1 progression ect). Music already sounds very digital for years anyway. You wont be able to tell whether a human or AI made a song.

The cool thing is tho, that maybe in the future they can perfectly sample the voice of dead artist like Tupac , Elvis or who ever, and make new songs like this.

The benefit painters and other physical artists have over musicians for now, is that the materials that they use and how the execute matters. I think it's more digital designers feeling the heat than actual painters.

And let's be honest . If somebody shows you art online, you already wont be able to tell if it's machine made or men made.
Imo the AI for music will have to be extremely, extremely advanced. The best music exists very slightly off the beats and notes and has subtle volume/feel variations based on the emotional state of the player. The uncanny valley is real, just listen to the music of the last 12 or so years. AI has an uphill battle imo.

You can sample Elvis, but you can't create new songs with him. He's simply too inimitable. It would be like comparing an impersonator to the man himself.

To give a personal example, I have healing touch/reiki ability and it comes through in my guitar playing. AI can't imitate that. There's simply no spirituality in artificial intelligence.

Last edited:

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It really just depends on who you call an artist. I knew a lot of people who claimed to be artists, but it takes a lot of time to get good at it. Most of them are hacks, and AI will replace the hacks easily.

Xenom0rph

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Simply put - art is not so much about the quality of the art but who painted it. Theres a guy who drips paint on canvasas like a three year old and his painting sell.
The world of art collection and dealing are one of the ways the ultrawealthy launder money and offer bribes.

Veréngárda

Banned
Reaction score
You're right. They'll become artists.

I believe pretending that older is better is what the Mature Man forum is for.

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It really just depends on who you call an artist. I knew a lot of people who claimed to be artists, but it takes a lot of time to get good at it. Most of them are hacks, and AI will replace the hacks easily.
I read a comment by a senior concept artist who said it will get harder for junior artists to break into the industry.

There are many artists who are better described as technicians. They know the tools, have technical knowledge, and enjoy the technical process, but creativity and art direction is not their strong suit.

These artist technicians are going to have to adapt by improving their skills with art direction.

Veréngárda

Banned
Reaction score
I read a comment by a senior concept artist who said it will get harder for junior artists to break into the industry.
Good. At least now there will be some actual skill involved instead of a bunch of dumb****s eating paint and throwing it up over some paper.

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good. At least now there will be some actual skill involved instead of a bunch of dumb****s eating paint and throwing it up over some paper.
For clarity, I'm talking about commercial art jobs. The standards to get into commercial art are already high.