Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Age, man......

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm 38 years old and for the first time in my life, really the past 3-4 years or so, I'm starting to experience age.

I had back surgery at 28, and I have recovered nicely from that, and instituted a religious stretching program, but I had to stop a lot of impact things and weight-lifting and such. I didn't realize how out-of-whack my body really was, and the pressure it had put on joints and tendons all those years. Now, if I do anything wrong at all, I hurt. It's gotten insane.

I finally decided to go run some sprints, and now I've aggravated my back again.

I want to do bodyweight pullups, and I pull a bicep and ultimately hurt my shoulder.

I try to throw balls with my son, and shoulder stays hurt.

I do yoga, I pull hamstrings from time to time. As soon as one heals, I hurt another.

Not to mention how tough losing weight is, especially around the gut.

Energy levels fluctuate.

Have any of you older guys found the fountain of youth???

Billtx49

Reaction score
I had back surgery at 28, and I have recovered nicely from that

I finally decided to go run some sprints, and now I've aggravated my back again.
Apparently not if physical problems are continuing …

Do your exercise smarter, don’t do body jarring running, get it on a bike…

Every man, healthy or not, needs to know and accept his physical limits.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Billtx49

Reaction score
So, this actually helps inflammation and such? Or is it just more of a pain killer.
If it’s a muscular inflamation issue consider an anti inflammatory steroid like prednisone, etc. or chiropractic help …

DelayedGratification

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

This. I switched to biking in my early twenties when a runner's high messed up my left knee and I basically couldn't run even a mile anymore. Bicycling is as good or better for exercise and is all but zero impact. Plus you can sustain it longer (once you're in shape a two hour bike ride is easily in reach), and it's also practical as you can use your exercise time as transportation. I used to bike commute regularly when I was working in the Boston area.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So, this actually helps inflammation and such? Or is it just more of a pain killer.
Yes, both. You can actually watch swelling go down when a quality product is applied. There is also preliminary research to suggest that cbd blocks the "bad" signals back to your brain, without blocking all signals like opiods, which are basically synthetic heroin and make up the bulk of all pain pills.

"Full Spectrum" hemp products are the best. They contain many other beneficial compounds in addition the the cbd. And yes, there can be trace amounts of thc, but topicals work on the cns without entering the blood stream. That's why no one rubs weed on themselves to get high.

There are a lot of good products for sale out of Colorado and Kentucky. I believe you live in a hemp state, but direct to consumer flower sales by farmers are prohibited, mostly due to lingering war on drugs politics.

Epic Days

Banned
Reaction score
It’s your environment. Talk to me about that.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
Don't rush into exercises, it has to be gradual so that ur body has time to adjust and heal after a workout.

Not sure what ur back injuries are but it would be wiser to seek advice of a doctor before doing weight lifting.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

It still flares up from time to time, but for the most part, my stretching/yoga has cured it. Unfortunately here lately I've gained a little weight. And when I get pain-free, I start thinking I'm bullet proof and do something stupid (like those sprints).

Back injury was an L5/S1 rupture. Had to get a microdiscectomy to clean the disc fluid off the nerve. Felt like a knive was cutting from your low back down the back of your thigh, to the front of the calf, to the middle foot. Where the nerve is, in essence.

But even beyond the back, it just seems like it takes longer to recover from anything, whether it's physical work or just a bad meal.

One thing that has never let me down is my widow-maker squats and endless lunges. Never been hurt doing those. Dips and pull-ups used to be a staple until I started hurting my shoulders. I think I'm starting to uncover some old weightlifting imbalances from my 20s.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't rush into exercises, it has to be gradual so that ur body has time to adjust and heal after a workout.

Not sure what ur back injuries are but it would be wiser to seek advice of a doctor before doing weight lifting.
Agree with this. Definitely talk to a doctor and don't push it too hard too early.

I still lift, but I've noticed that building muscle is more difficult at my age. And losing fat - yeah that's tough. When I was younger I could whip myself into shape in a few months. Today I get stuck at a plateau and it's hard to break through. BUT it's all about making little changes so you don't overwhelm yourself. I was doing 30 minutes on the treadmill (I hate running outside) in the spring and am now up to 50...but I run every 2-3 days. Otherwise my legs are no good. I also started biking, more for recreation but it's a nice "extra" form of exercise. I also moved to a more outdoor-recreation-friendly city which has helped a lot with motivation. The more habitual or normal it is the more energy I have day to day, but there are some days when I know I just need to sit/lie around and rest.

Obviously the other part is diet. @speed dawg if I remember from your posts, you know about good nutrition. I try to steer clear of beer, deep fried foods, and processed foods. Basically I eat smart at home and if I'm out with friends at a restaurant or party, I eat what I want.

Epic Days

Banned
Reaction score
Sprints are an art form. It is a science within its self. The potential for injury is high if you don’t understand how to warm up and even work your way up to full speed.

If you haven’t run them before or not in a long time your central nervous system won’t fire correctly in time with your effort.

Sprints are a fight or flight adaptation used for maximum escape spreed from a threat. Your body thinks you are running from a deadly threat. A tiger or a bear.

Sprints are not a “no pain - no gain” exercise. Never run sprints full out unless your body and mind are a go. Two high quality sprints, if that’s all your body and energy levels can produce in a given day is enough. Stop when your last sprint is not as high a quality as the one you did just before. Injury will result.

Last edited:

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
Sprints are an art form. It is a science within its self. The potential for injury is high if you don’t understand how to warm up and even work your way up to full speed.

If you haven’t run them before or not in a long time your central nervous system won’t fire correctly in time with your effort.

Sprints are a fight or flight adaptation used for maximum escape spreed from a threat. Your body thinks you are running from a deadly threat. A tiger or a bear.

Sprints are not a “no pain - no gain” exercise. Never run sprints full out unless your body and mind are a go. Two high quality sprints, if that’s all your body and energy levels can produce in a given day is enough. Stop when your last sprint is not as high a quality as the one you did just before. Injury will result.
I don't sprint much nowadays but I make sure I walk alot every day, it's habitual now.

In my 40's I've realised that if I want to enjoy my old age I've got to be able to climb steep hills (since the land I own has plenty) but I don't need to destroy my knee joints which running will obviously do.

Bit of a conundrum as I enjoy jogging regularly even if it's for 30 minutes, maybe I'll take up swimming.

Anyhow I get ur meaning as I think it's important to be able to control breathing and being tied to one's pulse rate.

EyeOnThePrize

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It still flares up from time to time, but for the most part, my stretching/yoga has cured it. Unfortunately here lately I've gained a little weight. And when I get pain-free, I start thinking I'm bullet proof and do something stupid (like those sprints).

Back injury was an L5/S1 rupture. Had to get a microdiscectomy to clean the disc fluid off the nerve. Felt like a knive was cutting from your low back down the back of your thigh, to the front of the calf, to the middle foot. Where the nerve is, in essence.

But even beyond the back, it just seems like it takes longer to recover from anything, whether it's physical work or just a bad meal.

One thing that has never let me down is my widow-maker squats and endless lunges. Never been hurt doing those. Dips and pull-ups used to be a staple until I started hurting my shoulders. I think I'm starting to uncover some old weightlifting imbalances from my 20s.
weight gain is tackled mainly by diet. you can maintain a low weight without exercise if you have the mental discipline to stick to a low carb diet. carbs spike your insulin. when insulin levels are high food is stored as fat, when levels are low fat is burned. the keto diet is replacing carbs with healthy fats. this keeps your insulin from ever spiking so that your body is constantly burning fat and never storing it. if you want to mix in exercise(i have to since it helps with eating discipline) then you'll have to have one or two days per week where you do eat carbs to restore your glycogen(which is necessary for gains). keto also takes a lot of research to do properly. you need to take vitamins or otherwise find friendly sources of magnesium and potassium at least. if you want to get into it a good book is The Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald. It's very dense but is probably the only book you'll ever need on it.

the gut is the first place that the body will store fat so it's naturally the last place you'll lose fat when shedding weight. maintaining a 500 calorie deficit with a keto or cyclical keto diet will get you shredded in a few months. the mental discipline required is very high though.

if like me exercise helps you maintain your diet discipline then i'd recommend either swimming or calisthenics. both can be done from the day someone comes out the womb to the day they die. swimming requires proper form to avoid rotator cuff issues and calisthenics requires patience and constantly listening to the body so as not to overdo anything. i would only recommend swimming if you plan to get proper lessons so that your form is tip top, and then to never swim so long that your form starts to slack.

form > distance.
form > speed.

as others have mentioned biking is good as there's no impact and is great for sustained high heart rate. biking does impose knee problems if you constantly break parallel and can exacerbate a hunched posture if you do it constantly.

i've found calisthenics(bodyweight fitness) to be more available since i don't need any equipment. in my opinion the healthiest exercises are static holds since there is literally no movement to aggravate the joints or cause repetitive strain injuries. calisthenics is full of progressions to always keep you busy and challenged but requires a lot of patience and consistency. for example you need strong wrists. to build strong wrists you have to very slightly break down the tendons in your wrists and give them extra time to heal. this can be done by performing push ups on the backs of your hands(obviously there are progressions to this). since tendons have much less blood flow than muscles they take much longer to repair. but once they heal they retain their new size for much much longer.

think yoga but with more and more challenging poses. yoga has the added bonus of stretching you out at the same time.

grip strength is also extremely important and beneficial to the body from better blood flow to overall better control of any exercise.

calisthenics can definitely impinge nerves and such if done incorrectly so stretching and form are paramount, but if you can master a full scorpion, a full planche, a front lever/back lever, a L/V sit, an iron cross on rings, 10+ dragon flags, a 10 minute+ dead hang(some fit nuts will probably chime in with a bunch of others) you'll be extremely in tune with your body and as a result have an amazing physique and cardiovascular system. obviously these are all the final stages of long progressions so please be patient with yourself and do constant reading on the subject to keep from hurting yourself.

ideally you want to have an elevated heart rate for at least 20 minutes at least three times a week. that's actually really easy with calisthenics since you can get creative with HIIT or circuits of your own.

the #bodyweight and #calisthenics filters on instagram can be good inspiration, sometimes they even have tutorials.
https://www.instagram.com/calisthenics.women/
https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/calisthenics/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/bodyweight/?hl=en

some interesting people,
https://www.instagram.com/simonsterstrength/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/moderntarzan/?hl=en

and age is just a number, there's tons of videos of people 70+ doing things neither of us can do.

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
weight gain is tackled mainly by diet. you can maintain a low weight without exercise if you have the mental discipline to stick to a low carb diet. carbs spike your insulin. when insulin levels are high food is stored as fat, when levels are low fat is burned. the keto diet is replacing carbs with healthy fats. this keeps your insulin from ever spiking so that your body is constantly burning fat and never storing it. if you want to mix in exercise(i have to since it helps with eating discipline) then you'll have to have one or two days per week where you do eat carbs to restore your glycogen(which is necessary for gains). keto also takes a lot of research to do properly. you need to take vitamins or otherwise find friendly sources of magnesium and potassium at least. if you want to get into it a good book is The Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald. It's very dense but is probably the only book you'll ever need on it.

the gut is the first place that the body will store fat so it's naturally the last place you'll lose fat when shedding weight. maintaining a 500 calorie deficit with a keto or cyclical keto diet will get you shredded in a few months. the mental discipline required is very high though.

if like me exercise helps you maintain your diet discipline then i'd recommend either swimming or calisthenics. both can be done from the day someone comes out the womb to the day they die. swimming requires proper form to avoid rotator cuff issues and calisthenics requires patience and constantly listening to the body so as not to overdo anything. i would only recommend swimming if you plan to get proper lessons so that your form is tip top, and then to never swim so long that your form starts to slack.

form > distance.
form > speed.

as others have mentioned biking is good as there's no impact and is great for sustained high heart rate. biking does impose knee problems if you constantly break parallel and can exacerbate a hunched posture if you do it constantly.

i've found calisthenics(bodyweight fitness) to be more available since i don't need any equipment. in my opinion the healthiest exercises are static holds since there is literally no movement to aggravate the joints or cause repetitive strain injuries. calisthenics is full of progressions to always keep you busy and challenged but requires a lot of patience and consistency. for example you need strong wrists. to build strong wrists you have to very slightly break down the tendons in your wrists and give them extra time to heal. this can be done by performing push ups on the backs of your hands(obviously there are progressions to this). since tendons have much less blood flow than muscles they take much longer to repair. but once they heal they retain their new size for much much longer.

think yoga but with more and more challenging poses. yoga has the added bonus of stretching you out at the same time.

grip strength is also extremely important and beneficial to the body from better blood flow to overall better control of any exercise.

calisthenics can definitely impinge nerves and such if done incorrectly so stretching and form are paramount, but if you can master a full scorpion, a full planche, a front lever/back lever, a L/V sit, an iron cross on rings, 10+ dragon flags, a 10 minute+ dead hang(some fit nuts will probably chime in with a bunch of others) you'll be extremely in tune with your body and as a result have an amazing physique and cardiovascular system. obviously these are all the final stages of long progressions so please be patient with yourself and do constant reading on the subject to keep from hurting yourself.

ideally you want to have an elevated heart rate for at least 20 minutes at least three times a week. that's actually really easy with calisthenics since you can get creative with HIIT or circuits of your own.

the #bodyweight and #calisthenics filters on instagram can be good inspiration, sometimes they even have tutorials.
https://www.instagram.com/calisthenics.women/
https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/calisthenics/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/bodyweight/?hl=en

some interesting people,
https://www.instagram.com/simonsterstrength/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/moderntarzan/?hl=en

and age is just a number, there's tons of videos of people 70+ doing things neither of us can do.
They prove fitness can be maintained or even improved in older years. Required for quality of life.

Epic Days

Banned
Reaction score
There are late 60’s and early 70’s men killing it in So. California. Young pvssy too. You are never too old to be in fantastic shape.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have anklosing spondalytis so I can’t lift any weight on my spine. My deadlifting, squating days are over.

I have to do 3 hour long mobility and flexibility workouts. Well, I don’t have to, but if I don’t want to run the risk of being crippled in later life, I do.

I’ve found this to be amazing for men of our age speed dawg. You don’t need to do any of this when younger . Trying yoga and Pilates next.

and I agree about CBD, does a lot of good for my condition, better than the painkillers I get prescribed (not opioids, anti inflammatory, I’d never take oxy and that ****)

sadly I’m almost obese so don’t have a solution to the fat issue. But I’ve lost it befoe.

I’m also a big fan of avoiding gluten and starch and sugar.

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Have you considered using a personal trainer? I knocked the concept for a long time, but when you do get someone knowledgeable working with you one-on-one they're going to see all the small posture mistakes you're making when you're working out and help you work on the correct form. Not having my abs fully engaged is the difference between my shoulder getting tweaked with pulldowns and it being fine.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hear ya. I used to move large furniture all by myself and be successful. Now everything hurts my fvcking back.

I now have a very simple goal: Be in better shape than most men my age. I can still run around with my kid at the park because I'm not a goddam hippo. Most guys my age would keel over if they were to run half as much as I can.