Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

abs every day?

DarthJuan

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a hard gainer. I'm wondering if it's okay to work the abs everyday.

Also, I don't feel any burn when doing regular crunches. I'm pretty sure I'm performing them properly, but it seems like I can do them forever and not feel like I'm accomplishing much.
But if I do "bicycle" crunches, I tire out and feel the burn.

Thanks.

Griffith

Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't work them every day -- abs are like any other muscle and need rest.

NYtomb

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ditto. I dont know why people think they can work every day and magically get stronger without rest. Ill work them monday and thursday, thats it for the week.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Griffith
Don't work them every day -- abs are like any other muscle and need rest.
They're not like any other muscle. They have much less potential to grow and recover much quicker.

You're safe working the abs every day as long as they're not sore. I hear about people injuring their arms, chest, legs, and shoulders from over-training all the time (and it's happened to me also, before I knew what I was doing). I don't think I've ever heard of someone hurting their abs. I certainly never have and I work them 5 times a week (would every day if I had time).

Also, I don't feel any burn when doing regular crunches. I'm pretty sure I'm performing them properly, but it seems like I can do them forever and not feel like I'm accomplishing much.
But if I do "bicycle" crunches, I tire out and feel the burn.
Do what works and mix it up so you don't get bored. I do bicycles, foot circles, flutter kicks, and scissor kicks (just like they sound - lie down with your hands under your butt and kick and move your feet). If you have a punching bag, wrap your legs tightly around it and jab/cross every time you do a sit-up. Go into pushup possition, but on your forearms instead - hold that possition for 1 minute. When this gets too easy, raise one foot. If you have a decline bench, do weighted crunches with that. Think of yourown.

dirtysanchez

Don Juan
Reaction score
Working the abs 2-3 times per week is optimal for most people.

Generally, I find it to be a good idea to alternate between high rep, low resistance abdominal work (like abdominal circuits) and low rep, heavy weight abdominal work (i.e. weighted crunches, standing/seated cable crunches etc.), with your workouts...

NYtomb

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by dirtysanchez
Working the abs 2-3 times per week is optimal for most people.

Generally, I find it to be a good idea to alternate between high rep, low resistance abdominal work (like abdominal circuits) and low rep, heavy weight abdominal work (i.e. weighted crunches, standing/seated cable crunches etc.), with your workouts...
yeah.
Also dont neglect the serratus and lower back.

The_Lifter

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've never worked my abs directly and they've come along fine. Given that they don't encompass much potential for hypertrophy there is little point in doing a **** load of direct work as they get worked as stabilisers in, for example, squats, deads...even pushdowns.