Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Ab work that’s easy on the lower back

Atom Smasher

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need to work on the abs but I have a very bad lower back. It was fractured 10 years ago. Had L1 and L2 fused and now I get a lot of pain below that area, especially on my left side. Most of that pain flairs up when lifting or carrying heavy objects.

I do what I can with normal lifting, for example, I use a curling bench to get that stress off my lower back.

Is there anything I can do to strengthen my abs and my core in general that is not too hard on the lower back?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Brazilian jiu jitsu was always a great ab workout for me. If you can get a mat to lay on, exercises like leg lifts work the abs. Stretching and flexibility is the real benefit, which prevent future injuries.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Similar problems with back coz I ve got a sports hernia and back tightens up trying to protect the area. So...

Reclining exercycle.

Weighted walking. Cans of beans in a backpack for a start.

Dummbell weights on the bed with both legs bent like u were doing crunches.

I stay away from pressing movements as I m maintaining my shoulders for tennis. PM me if you d like specifics.

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am doing variations of levers on rings.

YouTube fitness faq. The kid is a G. You can do this variation and not worry about the torque you have from crunches.

Lastly, abs made in the kitchen not the gym. Diet bro. Static holds in variations in a lever like position likely less aggressive on your back.

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Similar problems with back coz I ve got a sports hernia and back tightens up trying to protect the area. So...

Reclining exercycle.

Weighted walking. Cans of beans in a backpack for a start.

Dummbell weights on the bed with both legs bent like u were doing crunches.

I stay away from pressing movements as I m maintaining my shoulders for tennis. PM me if you d like specifics.
You fellas should look up and ig youtube Ido.

"If you love women, you must read the SoSuave Guide to Women. It's fantastic!"

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
We have and tried a lot of it. I ve posted the results - what s worked for me.

AttackFormation

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My ab exercise is weighted planks (but I flex and release for reps like a normal set instead of just being static), and one of the reasons why is that it doesn't rely on tensing your hip flexors. Any ab exercise that involves tensing your hip flexors is likely to aggravate your back, because your hip flexors are likely to already be tight due to chronic sitting aggravated by lack of stretching and a conversely weakened posterior chain. So when the hip flexors flex further it'll pull on the lumbar bones that the psoas muscle is connected to, and cause stiffness and a wearying pain.

Hope you find a solution.

metalwater

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
if wanting to get definition of abs, just lowering body fat can do it if already have muscle under. if you can still sprint, that can help pop out the abs some. when older, the fat over the abs can be the last to go. if you had a physical therapist for the recovery and still have a contact with them they probably could suggest something that would be safe.

sosumba

Don Juan
Reaction score
I would advice not to do planks if you have back problems.

xplt

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've back problems and exercices that I can perform without issues are russian twists, side planks, leg raises on dip station i.e.

My doc told me not to deadlift, but it was the only exercice, that nearly eliminanted my problems and gave me a strong back again.
I started with romanian deadlifts.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need to work on the abs but I have a very bad lower back. It was fractured 10 years ago. Had L1 and L2 fused and now I get a lot of pain below that area, especially on my left side. Most of that pain flairs up when lifting or carrying heavy objects.

I do what I can with normal lifting, for example, I use a curling bench to get that stress off my lower back.

Is there anything I can do to strengthen my abs and my core in general that is not too hard on the lower back?
Yoga did the trick for me. Loosened me up the point to where I have no real pain. I had a microdiscectomy in 2008. After that, you can start doing normal ab exercises again, that I never thought I'd be able to do.

Don't just accept the back pain. Yoga can cure it.