Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

A question about weights from a beginner

LionFox

Don Juan
Reaction score
When people talk about weightlifting, they always say I can benchpress 200 lbs, or 250 or whatever, or I can lift that much..

My question is how exactly is that calculated? I know this sounds dumb, but I'm serious.

For example, If I'm using an olympic bar bell that weights 45 pounds by itself, and then a 20 pound free weight on each in, is that considered lifting 85? or just 40?

What if you are using a smith press machine with the rolling bar adjustments vs. free lifting?

KiLLer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Usually when they say "I bench 100 lb." they usually mean 2 plates that are 50 lb. each. People don't really count bar inside.

I'll leave the rest of the questions to other.

DJ Girevik

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't listen to KiLLer, he's full of crap. Around here, everyone who talks about weightlifting totals, bench or otherwise, includes the bar in the total. So, you're lifting 85 pounds.

misunderstood??

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes. most people include the bar when they talk about how much they can lift. If what they say sounds kinda suspicious then u can ask questions. Like if you someone said they can bench 90lbs, odds are they mean 90lbs + bar because it wouldn't be convient to put 27.5lbs on each side of the bar. If the weight seems a lil' heavy then they could be talking about bench press but most people you asked what their max bench was would say the weight of the dumbells + the bar. So if you want to tell people who much u can bench, include the bar.