Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

2011 - Outlook and concerns

TheHumanist

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
2011... incredibly cliche, but time flies. I am now a senior in college in my last semester. When I first came here, I was a senior in high school. But, not here just to delve in some nostalgia or some **** like that. I have a few concerns now that I am facing the end of college that I want to hear some advice.

OK, to be honest, what I really want to hear is reassurance, who really want to hear something like "yeah, you're right, you're screwed." For that is what I am foreseeing in my future after college though I rarely say that outloud to myself.

I guess the biggest sore to my outlook is while I will graduate with a degree in computer science (I have I been assured in the past that a CS degree is quite valuable and my school have a good amount of name recognition), I will graduate with a pretty low GPA and I still don't feel my programming skills is up to snuff compared to a good number of my classmates.

The second major sore is I don't think I have the social acumen that many times counts even more than academic performance. Ironic since it been four years since I came here with all its archive of building social skills and I feel that I have less than I assessed myself as a senior in high school.

While I am an extrovert and it is not like I struggled with only a few friends who are some kind of creepy bottom of the totem pole people. (In fact, one of the biggest signs of progress is I have several circles of friends that treat me well. It will be sad as many will scatter all over the world and country, but I can confidently say they will give a **** about me. Compared to high school, I only have one friend that I can confidently say that I really keep on contact and memories that alot of people I stuck around with either treated me as an outsider or just bull**** level of disrespect.)

Yet, I lack a major ability to win people over. One example is a co-worker of mine seem to be to talk to anyone (and in the later anecdotal story, this include the boss of my boss) and win their good side. Now I know that I can't win everybody, but I find it a major concern when I win their bad side without knowing what I did. In one example, I am technically an IT worker, but I am currently just a computer lab attendant. Working as an IT guy, I managed to somehow win the disdain of my bosses. If I didn't switch over to working in the computer lab and had the help of my direct boss who is a nice guy and likes me, I probably would have been fired. It is not bad of a deal that I work in a relatively laid-back job with the pay rate of an IT guy, but the reasons why I work down there and have no option to go back and work upstairs isn't so great.

Another important thing to point out is while as I read Roissy, I also read some of the blogs he links. They paint a message that also says I am screwed. One post, for example, is Half Sigma's Why a career in Computer Programing sucks Granted, it is computer programing is not computer science, but it is a major aspect and it never feels good to think that I will struggle in a few months time in a chosen field, meanwhile most mainstream rankings says computer related tracks are the best. Also, reading about HBD from those bloggers (in this case, that IQ matters) and their backing looks pretty sound, it brought a new importance about intelligence.

So in short, while things are relatively tranquil. This little bubble of a world is going to end soon and I'm going to come out with a relatively low gpa and a lot of self-doubt of my social abilities. To my understanding, both are pretty damn important to making something in the real world. On top of that, the economy sucks (and many, including many here, going to collapse) and I am questioning myself if I have the innate IQ to really achieve what I want to achieve in life instead of settling for mediocrity. Oh yeah, reading out how feminism is screwed the world and in turn me isn't encouraging either.

Okay, that pretty long. But I don't want to just end it with just writing what's been on my mind without noting what I plan to do about it.

1. End college with an academic bang. For my final semester, I plan on taking two CS classes (Databases and Theory of Computing) with two lighter class (Graphics design and Acting). I also plan on taking two PDP (Athletic classes for fun - Marathon training and Sailing). Hopefully by taking a lighter workload, I'll be able to go out by acing all my 4 class and end it with the Dean's List. It is probably too little, too late for academics and it won't fully shake off my self-doubt as it doesn't match with the workload I tried to take on before, but it will help.

2. Find a job. Simple as that. I have some ideal CS jobs, but I'm not in a position to be picky.

3. Entrepreneurship - It is something I been dabbling for about a year, but this last semester, I really need to start a real fire. For about a years time, I been talking with different groups of people with plans on starting some ventures (cs related) and with one person, helping design and program a video game as a startup video game company. Now I really need to start making some headways in new ventures and also help push the video game to some alpha-build form.

4. iPhone/Android Development - its kinda related to the Entrepreneurship thing, but I been working on an iPhone app that I need to finish and see it published and need to pick up more Android so I can join in with my University's development team (maybe if I do well, they can offer me a job... or perhaps I can go independent)

The two below doesn't really help me in the long run, but as long I am listing my plans for 2011, I might as well include it

5. Enjoy the last semester. As I noted above, many of my friends are going to scatter all over the world back to their respective home state/country. In the past semesters, I been giving on minimal time. Now with a lighter workload, I think I put a bit more time to just enjoy time with them before they are gone.

6. Fencing - Kick ass. It's my last semester and I am going to go train with my team and win as many bouts as I can before I graduate. This would mean I plan on continuing on building my skill and training.

Pierce

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
CS major.... You do know Computer Science is one of the most top paid degrees along with engineering. What is your GPA?

TheHumanist

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I am aware that the rankings have said that. It doesn't mean anything if I can't get hired. Of course, we'll have to see if I will or not. Half Sigma seems to pose a scary reality that all those rankings could be a lie or the pay isn't that good as it looks (like lawyers, they can make well into the 6 figures, but also have to work 80 hours a week and at least in the video game industry, that isn't unheard of... without the 6 figures).

It is low enough to be embarrassing and would hurt interest from employers, but high enough that I wouldn't flunk out. I don't really want to say my GPA unless it is really necessary.

Razor Sharp

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
That's retarded. Even sh*tty programmers get paid BANK. One of my clients recently had an iPhone app developed. He paid the guy $500/hour to deliver the goods and not once did he inquire about his GPA. In the IT market most prospective clients don't care about anything except can you get it done?

My advice? The future of development is mobile and on the web. Learn Objective-C, C++ or even better - use a framework to leverage multiple compilers so you deploy apps to many platforms from one codebase.

http://rhomobile.com/

^^ THAT is thinking big my friend

And F*CK what statistics / grades have to say, they usually don;t mean sh*t. The only thing that matters to your profession is your productivity and the list of satisfied clients you will build over time. Build a decent skillset - be fluent and masterful in your work and people will always beat your door down, especially in this sector.

BigJimbo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You are screwed. The job market SUCKS for guys like you. According to the teenage boys here it is easy to become wealthy. We have a number of penny stock and no money down billionaires on this site (lol). The fact of the matter is that this is a horrible time to be looking for a job in America. Just a fact. Man, if you had graduated ten years ago you would be the s---! Seriously. However, times have changed. I am sure there are 1,000,000,000 dudes by the name of Vijay who can do more than you could do for $1.50 an hour.

My advice. Become an artist. Seriously. Take a dslr camera and travel. Go to Eastern Europe. Girls will flock to you. Trust me. The elites always love a poor artist. You will be accepted by all kinds. Maybe then they will listen to your ideas.

Plinco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BigJimbo said:
You are screwed. The job market SUCKS for guys like you. According to the teenage boys here it is easy to become wealthy. We have a number of penny stock and no money down billionaires on this site (lol). The fact of the matter is that this is a horrible time to be looking for a job in America. Just a fact. Man, if you had graduated ten years ago you would be the s---! Seriously. However, times have changed. I am sure there are 1,000,000,000 dudes by the name of Vijay who can do more than you could do for $1.50 an hour.

My advice. Become an artist. Seriously. Take a dslr camera and travel. Go to Eastern Europe. Girls will flock to you. Trust me. The elites always love a poor artist. You will be accepted by all kinds. Maybe then they will listen to your ideas.
The job market is better in Europe? I thought Spain had 50% unemployment for people under 30 years old.

Razor Sharp

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Plinco it depends on where you go. Greece, Ireland, Spain and Portugal are in really bad shape right now, but Germany and most of the eastern block are currently enjoying a boom thanks to augmentation of local markets, and the vacuum created by the windfall in the west.

Not that it matters in TheHumanist's case though - mobile application development is in HUGE demand anywhere you go, and I'd even argue that the central market for this is here in the States thanks to sheer penetration of the smart phone phenomenon. Apple is here, Google is here - and recession be damned these folks are pulling in record coin.

If we are just talking about iPhone developers alone there simply are not enough of them to meet the demand right now, which is why their rates are so high. You can outsource to a cheaper country like India, but for such time and money sensitive projects, I've found that people are glad to pay more for someone onsite (or at least a short telecommute away)

@BigJimbo, I see that the anti-american rhetoric really is all the "game" you got. Thanks for the heads up, now I know not to take anything you say seriously. :p

btw, what did america do to you to deserve this 24-hour smear campaign? Not judging, just curious.

TheHumanist

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, I guess based on what I been given. I will follow through my plan.

The only modification to my plans so far is from BigJimbo. I guess I can add that if all else fails, I could leave for Eastern Europe... It doesn't really change anything right now though. I still would like to hear more advice and possible viewpoints of my options and my self-doubts.