Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

10 Years On

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Last month my wife and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary. It's no secret to this forum that I have a very good marriage and I'm constantly asked what my 'secret' is for keeping thing positive. This forum in particular is littered with stories of guys and their divorces contrasted against the stories of single guy's decaying LTRs or dealing with recovering from them. This makes my experience a bit unique. I don't say that to gloss myself, but more from a sense of being a wild card. Guys with successful marriages (a dubious term at best) don't really have the motivation to come to forums like this and share their insights. Why bother if that area of one's life is more or less taken care of? So in light of this, I'll share a few things I've learned in the last 10 years that make for a good marriage from my perspective.

Let me begin by giving you all some background; Mrs. Tomassi is my first marriage and Bebe Tomassi is my one and only daughter. As i said before, by society's current standards I'm a freak. I'm a freak in that I met my wife and we dated (non-exclusively) for 6 months before I proposed to her. I was 28 when we married. After 2 years being married we decided to have one child - by design. My wife expected me to be a Man and I in turn expected her to be a Woman. I did not knock her up and then marry her. She was not a single mother, nor did she have excess baggage from previous relationships.

This is important to know, because when I relate stuff like this I often get the "well, you did everything right" response, when in fact every bit of what I enjoy with my wife today is due to me doing everything wrong. I had to unlearn what 26 years of feminized and emasculated teachings had taught me up to that point. I had come across a unique situation - a woman who actually wanted a Man to be a Man, and in all honesty I was completely unprepared for it. I was an AFC (really an rAFC by that point due to a psychotic, 4.5 year relationship prior to all this) and there was no SoSuave.com back then to inform me otherwise. I had read some of Warren Farrell's books, but that was the extent of my own self-understanding with regard to my own gender conditioning.

Now I had come across a woman who on our first date insisted that I drive HER car. My truck was a piece of sh!t of course , but after years of this gender equality brainwashing, a woman, upfront, wanted me to take control. Since then I've always been the driver (with the exception of her driving us home after I had my wisdom teeth pulled). This was symbolic of how the next 10 years would play out.

Mrs. Tomassi is no push-over and she most certainly gives me sh!t tests even to this day. In fact I've described marriage as one life long sh!t test and I still hold to that mark, but from the begining she's EXPECTED me to be positively masculine - to be the decider, to be the initiator, to have the ideas and to confidently execute them. Even in my worst failures, the fact that I attempted was more important than the outcome. This may not have been the case in the short term, but in the long term is where you can see the appreciation in the behavior. We compliment each other in our understanding of our gender roles.

When we met my wife was dating 2 very rich men (we were non-exclusive, remember?), I had 2 nickels and a beat up pickup truck to my name. Mrs. Tomassi is a medical professional and the men she'd dated prior were E.R. doctors and radiologists; guys making well over $300K annual. They had boats, cars, large homes, status, dispoasable wealth, and yet despite all of that I'm the one she pursued and locked in with (her Mom thought she was insane to marry me at the time). They had it made, but for all that wealth they were still clueless when it came to being Men - they were uncomfortable in their own masculinity. A lot of guys mistakenly believe that having a large bank account is the key to getting women, and while that might be true in the short term, in the long term it's to your own detriment (she'll end up with half after the divorce) if you don't ultimately kill the inner AFC and fearlessly embrace the postiveness of your own masculinity.

There are so many aspects I can detail about what makes for a good marriage, but all of these really boil down to 2 things, desire and mutual respect. Too many couples become complacent and comfortable in their marriages and this leads to a decline in both of these areas. A certain degree of subtle anxiety and constructive discontent is necessary for a good marriage. That comes off as negative, but it's really what makes each partner want to be better for themselves and each other. Taken too far it becomes abusive, but none at all and the marriage becomes stagnant which is equally dangerous. In the right proportion, this anxiety makes for a marriage that retains it's mutual desire (which is really IL) and mutual respect.

So how does this anxiety manifest itself? The easiest example is staying in shape together. I can honestly say my wife is as hot (if not more so since the boob job) as the day i married her. I WANT to bang my wife as often as humanly possible, how many men married for 10 years can make that statement? My wife is a piece of ass and I see guys eye her all the time. Likewise I'm a bodybuilder and keep myself in peak condition. I get women in their 20's flirting with me often enough, and this confirms for her and myself that we are both desirable people - this is one example of this anxiety, and we both recognize it and respect each other for it.

There are other ways this anxiety can be applied, for instance C&F goes a long way in marriage. Mrs. Tomassi loves just enough C&F attitude from me to reaffirm her perception of my confidence. As I said early, marriage is a life long set of sh!t tests and carefully used C&F is a tool that can be used to diffuse a lot of these before they even happen. Confidence is still the thing that makes a woman want a man, even in marriage. Generally a sh!t test IS a test of confidence. Prior to marriage, it's latent purpose is to help a woman determine whether a guy can provide for her long term security. After marriage, a sh!t test is used to reassure a woman that she married the right guy.

I have a lot of rules I pop off with about LTRs & marriage on this forum. I emphasize that a man not even become monogamous until he's 28 and that he shouldn't consider marriage until his mid 30s. Again, I state this not because I did so myself, but from my side of the fence I can see the huge advantages to doing so now. Marriage should be a last resort, something to be forestalled until a Man, by virtue of years of experience, has the ability to recognize with measurable accuracy, a woman who deserves what he provides her. The PRIZE mentality is essential. A man must be a Prince first, before he can be a King when he marries. After 10 years of marriage I can honestly say there are no appreciable advantages (outside of raising children) that a man cannot enjoy single that he can married. That's not meant to be pessimistic, but rather a caution to emphasize how important it is to disabuse yourselves of this AFC, romanticized, marriage-as-goal mentality. It's also not to say marriage is never worth it - remember I have a great marriage - just that marriage is complete advantage for women with negligible benefit for men. Marriage will either make a man's life or destroy his life; enter into thinking about it like this and you'll do well - is this person deserving of what I provide? Women will NEVER, even in the best of marriages, fully appreciate the sacrifices a man has to make in order to fulfill his commitment of marriage. This is why you have put your head into thinking whether she's deserving of your provisioning, security, confidence, attention, etc. even when it goes against what you think is your kind and good-hearted nature. You must be as self-concerned about marriage as you would be in saving your own life.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollo, great post, and I have a question for you.

We all go through certain things in life that can knock or shake your confidence, whether it be with women, jobs, socially, whatever. I've been told by many that one of the perks of having a "mate" if you will, is being able to tell them anything and essentially, having a friend and lover to share life with. My problem is when something happens that rattles me, is it or is it not ok to talk with my gf about it? This forum and your post esp. says women love confident men, and you must stay confident to keep the anxiety and attraction high, hence a good relationship. Well, does your wife ever sense it if you're confidence takes a hit? I mean, it has to, and when you're essentially living your life with someone else, you can't hide everything. I guess the key is being confident no matter what, but I believe we all go thru ups and downs throughout life, and I'd hate to think that my potential wife would turn on me and lose interest if my confidence takes a temporary hit.

I've had to endure some setbacks lately, and I really don't want to go AFC just because of it, but it's hard to keep things inside sometime behind my so-called tough exterior.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My problem is when something happens that rattles me, is it or is it not ok to talk with my gf about it? This forum and your post esp. says women love confident men, and you must stay confident to keep the anxiety and attraction high, hence a good relationship.
I can share my experience with this. You are human, and you're not going to be feeling 100% all the time. You can have your moments of weakness, but don't thrive on them. If your confidence takes a blow, that's fine as long as it's not a permanent breakdown so-to-speak. Women expect you to be human.

I'll relate something that I've been through. I got sick a few months ago with the goddam flu. It knocked me flat on my ass and I had to take a week off work. My gf was able to deal with it for the first couple of days, but seeing me weak for five days was hard for her to deal with. She can't stand seeing such a strong person knocked flat on his ass for a long period of time. Of course after I recovered, I returned to my strong, confident self, and she was happy that I was back to normal.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can dig that. I've been injured lately, can't work out like I like to, plus been frustrated at work, and I had a big guy try to fight me for no reason a couple of weeks ago. All this working together sort of shook me, and caused me to feel jealous more than I should, and kind of gave me the attitude that people are out to get me, like I can't trust anyone. I want to tell her what's going on, but I don't want to reveal my weak side.

Bottom line is, I must pull myself out of this rut, and I don't want to feel like she would leave me because of it.

RedPill

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In the last two years, since I figured out I had been a lifelong AFC and began reading and participating on this forum, I can honestly say that this piece of wisdom, which you've reinforced in your advice to posters here time and time again, has been the most beneficial bit of wisdom I've ever received in life, hands down. Your takes on positive masculinity, and the no-BS realities of marriage, have accelerated my personal development tremendously, without me having to experience many of life's vicious pitfalls.

Thanks Rollo, and congrats on your 10-year.

RedPill

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I want to tell her what's going on, but I don't want to reveal my weak side.
You can tell her about the 5hit that's going on in your life, just put a positive spin on it. Just say something like, "Life's firing some nasty blows at me, but it won't last forever. I've been through worse, and It's only made me stronger." If you put it in this type of a context, not only will she be happy to see that you go through 5hit moments, but she'll respect you for working at remaining positive through it all.

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Life Cycles

RT seems to have gained a certain amount of awareness and control over his life, which, seems obviously fundamental for any LTR. Out of this control, a person demonstrates a certain "stability" that is so desirable, yet, from this control a person is able to create a perception of "instability", "challenge", and "freshness".

Speed brings up a good topic, and that is the "repeating pattern" that people sometimes have in their lives. I have had a pattern, like a broken record, that has plagued me most of my life. This pattern was essentially that something would "shake" me, then my house of cards would fall down again. Only lately, after finding this site, have I started making steps to stop this cycle from repeating.

In the past, something would happen in my life that would off start a chain of events that would leave me broke, alone, and depressed. My pattern has been this:

1. get a good job
2. develop a circle of friends
3. get a woman (not necessarily a good one)
4. things go well
5. after a while, something nasty happens: problems at work, car problems, family problems, trouble with the law, etc. From this life trauma, I develop a sense of "being handicapped" and my confidence is negatively effected.
6. my negativity overflows onto everything good in my life and I start to lose them...
7. lose job
8. lose woman
9. lose friends
10. I spend time broke, depressed, alone, and miserable until one day I wake up and...
1. get a good job

Nowadays, I'm weary of building another "house of cards". Instead, I'm working on a concrete foundation and taking the time to build one quality floor at a time, each floor being made of brick. Granted, some floors start off as straw, but if they fall... they fall down on the completed brick floor below: I've promised myself I'd never hit bottom again.

RT seems to have broken that cycle also. After typical failures, he woke up and got a good job. He accepted his masculinity and empowered himself to build the floors out of stable bricks. At the top, he built the penthouse suite that is marriage. Some guys have a hammock, some guys have a loft, others have a mattress on the floor... but RT took a little extra effort and went full on with marriage... a decent one. If RT could give us the blueprints, you'd probably see floors made of goals, morals and values, financial stability - present and future, emotional stability, health, and attitude. The outside of his house is most likely a low maintenance brick or vinyl siding - visually appealing yet tough to stand up to the harshest elements and stand the test of time.

It's really only after the house is built that a woman can move in and live with you. We are all here building our houses. Sometimes a woman can move in and sleep in your hammock, but she needs to see you working on building the penthouse. If she's a good woman, she'll help lay the bricks. Perhaps RT's wife did the plumbing or the wiring, but she obviously had a little something to do with it. Maybe she brought lunches and lemonade to the job site, but she was patient and minded her place until construction was complete.

Let's hope that we can all someday be as fortunate as to find a quality woman as well.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
SPEED, as DES posted, you're not going to be 100% all the time, but by the same token you're not going to be 0% all the time either. It's more important to think in terms of how you're dealing with the bricks life is throwing at you rather than getting preoccupied with how well your wife sympathizes with you. The first part of self-esteem is 'self'. When I have been at low points in my life it's never been an issue of confidence so much as circumstance. In fact worrying over what my wife's perception of me in those times would be a lack of confidence, because then I'm looking for her affirmation, and that's an AFC mindset.

More often than not it's not a question of confidence, but how best to solve the problem. My wife knows when somethings not right, and we support each other when one or both of us needs it because we love each other, yes, but also because we have shared interests in each other's well being and the well being of our daughter. I usually describe this as playing on the same team. When you play mixed doubles tennis, both players have to cooperate in order to hit the ball back across the net and ultimately win the game. I can't do that if I'm hitting the ball at my wife on our own side of the court. This is what you need to determine in your own life with regards to your potential wife (much lateer when you're 36 and know better).

I'll give you an example of the first time I knew my wife had unquestionable respect for me. During the 2004 Presidential campaign I had gone to see Michael Moore speak at the university I was attending with my mother in law. It happened to be on the same night we had a church home group at my house and when asked where we were that evening my wife explained. One of these God fearing Krischun lady's flew off the handle at her - in my home - and told her how 'Sick' it was that we went. Needless to say we don't hold the same political beliefs as a good portion of our last congregation (though that's changed now) and she fought back on my behalf for the better part of a half hour before they'd left. That was the last home group we had, and we were ostracized from more than a few former friends, but my wife defended my name in my absence at the cost of some of these people's friendships. When I got home and she explained to me, shaking, what had happened, she said "when someone attacks you, they attack me." This is exactly what you need to determine in staying with someone over the course of a lifetime.

My wife an I have no secrets from each other. First because it's not really necessary. We're both mature enough to realize that we've had our own pasts and men and women will be men and women. Secondly, because it's inefficient. How can my wife be expected to play her best game (even in my absence) if I tear out pages of our playbook and keep them to myself or vice versa?

wayword

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
^ Interesting, well I actually believe that Christian women make better wives because they have the fear of god programmed into them, as well as sexual guilt, submission to her man, family-oriented, etc. I was wondering what kept your wife so well-behaved, now I know.

Cuz what I've learned is that a LOT of a woman's behavior is really independent of you - and she is likely to run the same pattern consistent with her belief system/personal bounds with EVERY guy she's with (no matter who they are or what they do) - because that's simply who she is.

Well, I'm not Christian, but if I was, I know I could find a good wife from that pool.

FARR more difficult in the NHB secular pool, though...

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to think that I liked sluts, but being married to one cured me of that. Now I usually date churchy girls. Those women still tend to look down on adultery and divorce. They are not the easiest to lay, but in a way I respect that, as long as they are not frigid. They are also good practice of your game, because they play great defense. Spar with a church girl, and a regular American girl will be a pushover.

btw, congratulations on your anniversary.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks Rollo. Good to hear a success story, even though I do believe now that a man hardly gains anything from marriage. I'm just glad that it still can be done. You know, they say the path to a good relationship is communication, but they don't ever tell you HOW to communicate. Talking certainly doesn't do the trick.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My wife is far from churchy. We met in a club not at church camp and she had no problem getting after it with me by the 3rd date. We lived together for 3 months before we got married and we've watched porn together on more than one occasion. We both drink and live like normal people with normal concerns. That said, yes, we do have similar beliefs and I think spirituality is a necessary element to a good marriage.

wayword

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollo Tomassi said:
My wife is far from churchy.
Look, if you have church home groups and her peer group is ultra-Fundies who believe Democrats are Satanic - I think she qualifies as "churchy." Which is "good," as long as you are too.

In fact, her goody-2-shoes peer group likely has a HUGE effect on keeping her honest. Remember, women are robots to mass programming and slaves to peer pressure. And with an active churchy lady - you have both. An ideological robot who is kept in check by peers at regular church meetings. It's not much different than a recovering addict who attends regular meetings with a support group and a sponsor.

Now, take your average secular chick. Her programming is the mass media - with shows like "Sex In The City" or "Desperate Housewives" that glorify adultery and affairs...and deviant internet p0rn. Her peer group is a bunch of Saturday night sluts. So, how do you think she will act lockstep in line with?

If you really think about it, a lot of it boils down more to the woman's own personal beliefs and peer group - than you and your relationship. You arrive on the scene already waaaayyy after the fact.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WAYWORD, you have no clue what you're talking about. I understand your reasoning with regard to your generalization and I don't disagree with them in principle, but if my wife were in fact being kept in check by her peer group as you're suggesting, she would've gone along with them rather than violently defending me in this instance. This was an illustration of her respect for me, not an analysis of her socialization. So don't presume to tell me what does and does not influence my wife. I live with her everyday, and you're basing your assumptions on the few sentences I've typed here. I'll be the one to tell you if she's churchy or not.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
People react differently to the label of 'churchy.' I don't see it as the same as abstaining or being hung up on sex. "Frigid" is my own label for that. Personally, I tolerate hardly any rejection past the second date. If she's not interested in being physical at some level, I just stop calling and they get the point. Either I never hear from them again, or they call back when they want some excitement in their life. Either way is a victory.

edit: Notice how the same words mean different things to different people. I think of 'churchy' as a compliment.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollo Tomassi said:
My wife is far from churchy. We met in a club not at church camp and she had no problem getting after it with me by the 3rd date. We lived together for 3 months before we got married and we've watched porn together on more than one occasion. We both drink and live like normal people with normal concerns. That said, yes, we do have similar beliefs and I think spirituality is a necessary element to a good marriage.
Geez, that sounds familiar. Reminds me, of, me. Almost scary, LOL 3rd date and everything. Yet, we are both Christian, regardless of political stance.

P.S. Michael Moore, come on man I know you're smarter than that! jk

wayword

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollo Tomassi said:
if my wife were in fact being kept in check by her peer group as you're suggesting, she would've gone along with them rather than violently defending me in this instance.
Well, that was a political beef, not a religious one. And she's a mental slave to the Christian religion, not Republican Party - which is why she vehemently objected when they tried to force that additional stance on her (and you). To separate church & state...

But that is not the point.

The point is that when you're in the forest, you may not see all the forest. While you chalk up your successful marriage mostly to C&F and passing small shyt tests, I see a far larger external influence on her in the form of religious programming and peer group support that you did not mention except in passing. And that may actually be the bigger story here, that other guys should be well aware of.

What are her personal values and who are her friends? What's her dating history like? Who are her friends - faithful women in healthy LTRs, single sluts, single hornball guys? To me, this is a bigger qualifier of who she really is than shotgunning C&F at her.

Anyways, congrats and more power to you either way! :up:

Sinistar

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
First: Happy Anniversary and Congratulations!!

Second:
My wife an I have no secrets from each other. First because it's not really necessary. We're both mature enough to realize that we've had our own pasts and men and women will be men and women. Secondly, because it's inefficient. How can my wife be expected to play her best game (even in my absence) if I tear out pages of our playbook and keep them to myself or vice versa?
...I think is incredibly important on many levels. It communicates that she has good self esteem and is not the typical female obsessed with the perceptions of others. I would even dare to guess your positive masculine role boosts her esteem and helps her shed/minimize the wasted energy of worrying about perceptions. And it conveys that she is far from being dishonest or the worst of the worst, anonymous.

Third: Something you probably often wonder about. I have a feeling your role and awareness (ie having shed the AFC) will perhaps have the most positive impact on your daughter. Not only will she be exposed to a family setting where the man takes charge, has confidence and quite simply - leads. She will benefit by the fact this very approach will keep you together and happy. And finally, just think how she will implicitly take all this in and use it when she meets guys. She should have a positive, more immediate awareness of how 'wrong' if feels to be around AFC boys/guys. She could have a better awareness of the crappy programming we're all subject too. And hopefully she'll use it all to eventually bring home a decent guy that you won't have to take out behind the woodshed or steer to this site ;)

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You know, they say the path to a good relationship is communication, but they don't ever tell you HOW to communicate.
I'm going through a horrible mess with my parents at this particular point in my life, and it's teaching me something that is VERY important about relationships (and when I mention the word relationship, I'm not necessarily talking about one that involves sex). Communication isn't necessarily the key to a successful relationship. I'd place respect and trust higher up. Lack of communication leads to misunderstanding, but if there's respect and trust, you'll be able to deal with a misunderstanding much better. Once one of the parties loses respect or trust, the relationship becomes damaged.

My parents believe that communication is the key to a successful relationship. They talk, and I'm supposed to listen and let them have everything on their terms, including any aspect of my personal life. They cannot respect the fact that I am a successful adult who has their own life, and they don't trust me to know what I'm doing. As for me, I lost my respect and trust for them years ago. Communication is all we have left, and I'm almost ready to drop that one with them as well.