Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Cardio after lifting?

Skapride95327

Reaction score
Hello Everyone
I am sorry if this has been gone over before, but i was curious about when the best time to do cardio is. Should i do them on seperate days? One before the other? I have 4 days a week for gym time right now, but that will be changing soon.
I have Sunday, and Tuesday-Thursday. Thank you

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I typically run a mile before and sometimes after a workout. It probably doesn't matter when you do it though if its less than 10-15min.

Cardio is pretty worthless overall. I only run to improve my respitory health or as a warm up. Whatever you hope to achieve with cardio can be achieved much more efficiently through HIIT like sprints or high volume supersets.

Last edited:

2Rocky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Glycogen depletion from resistance training means your energy use will be from fat burning during the cardio.

Often HIIT and fitness classes will do that by alternating strength and cardio during a 60 minute class.

For performance enhancement, you resupply CHO's after depletion and your body super compensates and store MORE Glycogen.

If you want to burn more fat you really need to reduce CHO intake to ensure your body switches to burn fat for energy...

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Glycogen depletion from resistance training means your energy use will be from fat burning during the cardio.

Often HIIT and fitness classes will do that by alternating strength and cardio during a 60 minute class.

For performance enhancement, you resupply CHO's after depletion and your body super compensates and store MORE Glycogen.

If you want to burn more fat you really need to reduce CHO intake to ensure your body switches to burn fat for energy...
OP never stated what his goals were, we don't know if losing fat is even his priority. That's besides the point anyway, since cardio is by far the worst way to lose fat.

I would also think that HIIT/anaerobic exercise utilizes far more glyogen than endurance cardio, which is probably better for tapping into your fat reserves for fuel (if you're fasted or on keto that is).

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you’re natural I don’t recommend mixing cardio with weights. I’d focus on cardio during cuts with minimum weight training. Strength training with no cardio during bulks.

Heavy barbell training using squats and deadlifts will achieve adequate cardiovascular fitness for general health.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Heavy barbell training using squats and deadlifts will achieve adequate cardiovascular fitness for general health.
I highly doubt that, unless you're doing really high volume with short resting periods... at that point, why not just do a good HIIT routine or moderate intensity endurance cardio instead, and focus on building strength/power with lifting.

I can only speak from experience though, my cardiovascular endurance was always **** and lifting didn't improve it at all (then again I rarely did high volume short rest period routines). I had to specifically start going on runs in addition to HIIT to see my respiratory fitness improve.

Last edited:

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I highly doubt that, unless you're doing really high volume with short resting periods... at that point, why not just do a good HIIT routine or moderate intensity endurance cardio instead, and focus on building strength/power with lifting.

I can only speak from experience though, my cardiovascular endurance was always **** and lifting didn't improve it at all (then again I rarely did high volume short rest period routines). I had to specifically start going on runs in addition to HIIT to see my respiratory fitness improve.
This has been researched at nauseam. Heavy lifting will not specifically help you run a 5k or a half marathon like running will. However, all functional cardiovascular health metrics are improved by lifting- resting heart rate, vO2 max, stroke volume, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels. There is no need to do “cardio training” for general health as a supplement to barbell training.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This has been researched at nauseam. Heavy lifting will not specifically help you run a 5k or a half marathon like running will. However, all functional cardiovascular health metrics are improved by lifting- resting heart rate, vO2 max, stroke volume, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels. There is no need to do “cardio training” for general health as a supplement to barbell training.
I don't doubt any of that. But the fact that you need train specifically just to be able to run a fast 5k is indicative of how limiting it is to rely solely on lifting. General health is one thing, I'm talking more about having truly well-rounded physical fitness, which would require a certain level of training in different forms of exercise (calisthentic, cardio, HIIT, powerlifting, etc).

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't doubt any of that. But the fact that you need train specifically just to be able to run a fast 5k is indicative of how limiting it is to rely solely on lifting. General health is one thing, I'm talking more about having truly well-rounded physical fitness, which would require a certain level of training in different forms of exercise (calisthentic, cardio, HIIT, powerlifting, etc).
Yes, it depends on ones goals. Most people just want to look good and be healthy. A good barbell program alone can do that. That is what I was pointing out. For natural athletes, the recovery demands of mixing cardio with heavy weights are quite extreme. It’s best to choose one path, or cycle them during different times of year.

monkeybrain

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello Everyone
I am sorry if this has been gone over before, but i was curious about when the best time to do cardio is. Should i do them on seperate days? One before the other? I have 4 days a week for gym time right now, but that will be changing soon.
What is your specific training goal?

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Hello Everyone
Do 5 minutes of HIIT intervals after lifting. All you'll need. Sends growth hormone soaring

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When it becomes 20 mins, is when one would need to reduce the frequency then.

Skapride95327

Reaction score
What is your specific training goal?
Oh yeah, sorry i should have mentioned that. Im overweight, quite overweight. But I am still mobile. Anything that isnt pullups are doable for me. Im not as strong as i used to be. Of course i want to look better, but mostly i want to get back to how strong i was

rjc149

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Once you’re over 30 you’ll need to do cardio to stay trim and chiseled, unless you want to eat like a woman.

I finish each workout, whether lifting or calisthenics, with 10 minutes of moderate elliptical. I’ll do 15 minutes on weekends to burn off excess caloric intake from drinking and eating out.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Once you’re over 30 you’ll need to do cardio to stay trim and chiseled, unless you want to eat like a woman.

I finish each workout, whether lifting or calisthenics, with 10 minutes of moderate elliptical. I’ll do 15 minutes on weekends to burn off excess caloric intake from drinking and eating out.
At 32, can’t say I’ve had this problem.

Heavy barbell training burns a fvckton of calories. Find myself getting sick of eating at times