Are Protein Bars Even Worth It?

soulforge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I generally try to avoid these protein/bars shakes you can pick on the high street.

However odd occasion when I don't have access to actual food, I will pick a couple of them up, out of necessity.

I don't know why, but when eat these protein bars, I feel dirty afterwards.

The sugar count seems to be quite high in some of them. Then you have some which are low sugar, but very high in carbohydrates & my carbs intake is low.

Then it's a matter of the quality of protein in these bars?

Anyone eat these and should we avoid them altogether.

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everytime I walk across the aisle in the store, both protein bars and grain bars, all of them are loaded with sugar. If it was just a tiny bit, I can tolerate it. But our food is having everything being filled with sugar. It's becoming insane.

pipeman84

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
However odd occasion when I don't have access to actual food, I will pick a couple of them up, out of necessity.
If you're not 4% body fat and without access to actual food for a day, then there's no real necessity to eat them. They're basically ultra processed foods and will mess up your GI.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a bunch of Atkins bars in my freezer, but I rarely eat them.

Even though they are allegedly low card (sus) the sweetness makes it hard to eat only one, so I stay away.

soulforge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're not 4% body fat and without access to actual food for a day, then there's no real necessity to eat them. They're basically ultra processed foods and will mess up your GI.
Agreed, after consuming one, instantly feel dirty.

I find them no different to eating a normal candy bar.

soulforge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have managed to find some high protein yoghurts recently, maybe the yoghourts are a better option.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I bought them for my grandma when she was in the nursing home. Institutional food is awful. Protein is expensive so they skimp on it. Protein bars are better than not eating at all.

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Protein bars are simply genius marketing, most don't even have the protein count they say they do, Amino Spiking is what they use to artificially inflate the protein amount so not only are you getting ridiculous amount of carbs but it shouldn't even be called a protein bar to begin with.

The article says they use it to market protein powder which is also true but its more prevalent in protein bars

soulforge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Protein bars are simply genius marketing, most don't even have the protein count they say they do, Amino Spiking is what they use to artificially inflate the protein amount so not only are you getting ridiculous amount of carbs but it shouldn't even be called a protein bar to begin with.

The article says they use it to market protein powder which is also true but its more prevalent in protein bars

Thanks for this, it's a fascinating read.

AureliusMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I generally try to avoid these protein/bars shakes you can pick on the high street.

I don't know why, but when eat these protein bars, I feel dirty afterwards.

The sugar count seems to be quite high in some of them. Then you have some which are low sugar, but very high in carbohydrates & my carbs intake is low.

Then it's a matter of the quality of protein in these bars?

It iss just added sugar/energy and pretty useless. Buy a banana instead.

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rich Piana might of been a steroid freak but you can still learn a lot from his videos, the entire series is worth watching

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I have managed to find some high protein yoghurts recently, maybe the yoghourts are a better option.
Depends. At least half of people have issues with concentrated dairy...see Greek yogurt and whey protein and will find it causes bloating and water retention from inflammation.

This is why there are so many people who get "stuck" and then claim "But I'm eating healthy foods!"

Bottom line is there is no such thing as a healthy food. Only one that either works with your body chemistry or causes inflammation in your body.

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Depends. At least half of people have issues with concentrated dairy...see Greek yogurt and whey protein and will find it causes bloating and water retention from inflammation.

This is why there are so many people who get "stuck" and then claim "But I'm eating healthy foods!"

Bottom line is there is no such thing as a healthy food. Only one that either works with your body chemistry or causes inflammation in your body.
Also worth noting, inflammation causes insulin resistance, increases blood sugar and increases fat storage as a result

Manure Spherian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hardly. I only choose them when I’m without food for hours, which is rare.

Meal and snack prep in advance and if you’re going to be out of the house for hours and not going to a restaurant or deli. Yes, like a bodybuilder with Tupperware and a mini-cooler. (Former bodybuilder here.)