Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Business Struggle

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So 4 deals in a row have fallen through in the last 3 months, through no fault of my own. In my business, you can be perfect up to a point but ultimately the final decision is out of our hands and these things happen. The sum of these deals was £73,000 or $90,000 which is enough to see me through 12 months if I budget and that's now all down the toilet, although I made 2 deals in Q1.

I'm not in panic yet mode as last year was good and although my outgoings are very high I've budgeted accordingly.

My problem is my usual BD (business development) method is not working, no new clients this year, my pipeline is ok, but my existing clients are either being difficult or have nothing for me to work on.

I'm now forced with the decision to go back to working 12-16 hour days (I've been working about 10-20 hours a week most of this year) to make things happen and pop off again. As a consolation, 2 other guys who left my team in 2020 covid era to start our own firms are experiencing the exact same issue.

I think I'm just suffering from my own lack of enthusiasm and motivation, which I have posted about before. It's like feast or famine, when I make money I just switch off, until I feel the pressure and ramp it up and save the day.

I just want to be a machine, but I don't think I can really be that 6am every day working and grinding kind of person. Sometimes I feel I'm not cut out to be an entrepreneur and could take my experience and sit on a nice basic with bonus and live a normal life working for someone else. Then I remember the issues I had doing that in my 20s and can't bring myself to work for someone else.

Just venting. I'm here on a Sunday at 10pm been working the last 6 hours trying to make **** happen for this coming week.

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Go for a walk. Clear your mind, meditate, have a good think. The solution is out there. But you’ll have to be creative. Are there new avenues to drive business toward you etc.?

Sometimes in business it’s easy peasy. Other times it’s a grind, think and consider what kind of need your business meets and in this environment what kind of customer needs your business product or service.

If you figure out who needs you and WHY the deal making will solve itself. Trust the process and be open to novel ideas and solutions.

Cheers

Stoic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I’m self employed.

I always have goals. I even pay a coach $350 a month to call me each week for a 20 minute goal to keep me accountable on the things I said I would do like create/implement a system or process , make 100 calls, whatever other important task is needed but that I sometimes otherwise would not get to. I have somebody holding my feet to the fire so that I do what I said I was going to do.

corsica

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
What they don't tell you about opening your own business is that most businesses fail in the first year (I'm not saying it's your case) and how stressful it is to maintain one. You can come and go as you please, do your own schedule... But you'll be thinking about your business 24/7. I'm not going give you advice on management since books were written about it and I imagine there is not much I can add to your strategy.

I used to own small businesses (12 employees) and it was stressful. One period you make a lot of money but you're afraid of spending because you don't know if the revenue stream will continue. Then you have variables that are not in your control. Right now the period of easy money is over and interest rates are going back to normal. You don't see VCs throwing money everywhere (hiring spree, acquisitions, crazy valuations in companies that make no money...).

Now I make $100k/year working 6 months out of the year. I'm not enjoying myself for half a year but when I'm done, I shut off completely from work and I can enjoy myself (go whatever I want for months), stress-free. The only way for me to make more money is moving-up (doing courses to upgrade) but it requires time. And there is a cap in how much I can make. And I would still have to work those 6 months per year, staying away from family and loved ones. It's a trade-off and in my case, I prefer to work for somebody else and don't stress.

My recommendation is:
You should have a stable income (usual job) so you can take more risks (more upside) in your business. If your business is not doing fine (temporarily hopefully), you won't stress. A common theme is having your wife (or your brother) with a stable job (career preferably) making enough money to pay the bills (rent/mortgage and all living expenses). And you with your business the upside (early retirement and some luxury like fancy travels).

FlirtLife

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
So 4 deals in a row have fallen through in the last 3 months, through no fault of my own. In my business, you can be perfect up to a point but ultimately the final decision is out of our hands and these things happen. The sum of these deals was £73,000 or $90,000 which is enough to see me through 12 months if I budget and that's now all down the toilet, although I made 2 deals in Q1.

I'm not in panic yet mode as last year was good and although my outgoings are very high I've budgeted accordingly.

My problem is my usual BD (business development) method is not working, no new clients this year, my pipeline is ok, but my existing clients are either being difficult or have nothing for me to work on.
I'd highly recommend visiting the library and looking for case studies in the "Harvard Business Review" (periodical). Experienced CEOs and leaders analyze problems and give ideas for solutions. While Harvard Business School is no longer the top ranked, it's reputation and ranking are still top 5.

Are any of those failed deals from the same customer? If they're costing you time and effort, and providing no business, maybe you need to reduce the time you spend on them?

If you spend that time trying something new, or creating ads in a place you hadn't considered, you might get fresh leads that are more valuable than your worst customer.

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I’m self employed.

I always have goals. I even pay a coach $350 a month to call me each week for a 20 minute goal to keep me accountable on the things I said I would do like create/implement a system or process , make 100 calls, whatever other important task is needed but that I sometimes otherwise would not get to. I have somebody holding my feet to the fire so that I do what I said I was going to do.
I kinda had 2 other guys I would have check in's with, they used to be on my team 3 years ago and we all set up our own firms. 1 is now working from Colombia/Australia with his gf and the other is thinking about jacking it all in. My business is into it's third year and been profitable from the first 3 months. I did struggle with accountability and organisation in year 1 but I fixed that myself over the last couple years

My recommendation is:
You should have a stable income (usual job) so you can take more risks (more upside) in your business. If your business is not doing fine (temporarily hopefully), you won't stress. A common theme is having your wife (or your brother) with a stable job (career preferably) making enough money to pay the bills (rent/mortgage and all living expenses). And you with your business the upside (early retirement and some luxury like fancy travels).
I am on my own with a limited family and no siblings so it's all on me, I could get a regular job and work my business part time/out of hours. That's a last resort/safety net though, I'm definitely not there yet

I'd highly recommend visiting the library and looking for case studies in the "Harvard Business Review" (periodical). Experienced CEOs and leaders analyze problems and give ideas for solutions. While Harvard Business School is no longer the top ranked, it's reputation and ranking are still top 5.

Are any of those failed deals from the same customer? If they're costing you time and effort, and providing no business, maybe you need to reduce the time you spend on them?

If you spend that time trying something new, or creating ads in a place you hadn't considered, you might get fresh leads that are more valuable than your worst customer.
Good idea thanks.

Yes all same customer, 200k employees globally, I've been working on two projects in Michigan and Ontario for them, I've made good money from them since 2021 but now I feel that I'm just wasting time with them.

Trust the process
The amount of times I've heard this over the years haha.

It's true though, I'm going back to basics and going for the quickest wins and easiest route to money.

I made a new plan last week to pivot away from them into other existing clients and into new clients, going to review at the end of next week.

Appreciate all the advice, sometimes you just have to suck it up and grind it out.

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Update:

Went back to my automation route and utilising AI as I did in 2020/2021. I pulled 3 clients last week, small french boutique, UK based global consultancy and an Ontario based construction firm, EllisDon (leveraged off the back of 2 clients I have in Toronto) 5 billion a year construction company. Now c*vid v*x is not needed for entry into Canada scheduling a face to face meet.

Also scheduled a face to face in Graz (near Vienna) with a long standing client, just booked my flights.

We back at it, taking what's ours. Happy Monday, let's get it.

Dr.Suave

Reaction score
I’m self employed.

Bro, I can call you for $199 to keep you accountable As f0ck.

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I'm now forced with the decision to go back to working 12-16 hour days (I've been working about 10-20 hours a week most of this year) to make things happen and pop off again. As a consolation, 2 other guys who left my team in 2020 covid era to start our own firms are experiencing the exact same issue.

I think I'm just suffering from my own lack of enthusiasm and motivation, which I have posted about before. It's like feast or famine, when I make money I just switch off, until I feel the pressure and ramp it up and save the day.

I just want to be a machine, but I don't think I can really be that 6am every day working and grinding kind of person. Sometimes I feel I'm not cut out to be an entrepreneur and could take my experience and sit on a nice basic with bonus and live a normal life working for someone else. Then I remember the issues I had doing that in my 20s and can't bring myself to work for someone else.

Just venting. I'm here on a Sunday at 10pm been working the last 6 hours trying to make **** happen for this coming week.
What is your business? If you are in a major metro area, look up Entrepreneurs Organization (EO). They are pretty much in every major city around the world. You most likely will not qualify as of yet but they have an accelerator program where you can receive guidance and mentorship from high level Entrepreneurs in your area. It is basically a feeder program to eventual membership. It is a tremendous resource and great organization.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I’m self employed.

Phuck, hire a dominatrix to do that for a full hour

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would love an accountability coach but I feel I have a good support system.

I think I've been a victim of my own success, most important lesson I learned is to "stay on they necks" and grind hard even when it's going good.

I traded my simple easy life to be my own man and that freedom requires effort.

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would love an accountability coach but I feel I have a good support system.

I think I've been a victim of my own success, most important lesson I learned is to "stay on they necks" and grind hard even when it's going good.

I traded my simple easy life to be my own man and that freedom requires effort.
Find someone who has done what you are trying to do or has done something similar. If your support system does not include them, you should seek them out. Traction- get a grip on your business is great book that I have seen many people implement with a lot of success. You can also hire coaches to work through this specific system as well. They help you clearly define goals and create action steps to get there. To scale, you have to stop relying on yourself to do everything. It is a challenge many have faced, myself included. It can cost money upfront but in the end there are massive benefits. It is the difference in just being self employed and owning a business. Built to sell is another great book as well.

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I thought I just bump/update this thread, 5 months later on back on track. Turns out I should have had 2 deals in December 2022 and Jan 2023. I spoke to my client today and they’ve agreed to pay 2 invoices worth £32,000. It’s money I already worked for in Q4 2022.

I have a candidate flying from Krakòw to Munich this Monday to finalise a deal worth €18,000 to me.

It’s been a slow year, the worst I’ve had since starting in 2020 and I’ve learned a lot. I took a freelance recruiting contract paying £250 a day for the last few months while I worked my business alongside. I’m about to do a £50k month from 3 invoices not including my contracting. My savings have been ravaged this year so this will be welcome income.

Pipeline is looking healthy. Signed a deal with a consultancy paying me 10% on all billings for any leads/clients I bring them. I leverage my own existing clients and made a deal early doors. I’ve been automating the cold business development outreach so basically no effort and have another client signed for them. They pressed me to use their email address but I know they just want my contact list/bd approach which I refused.

Been a bit absent from the forum and everything in general, working 3 jobs, 7am-10pm most days, all self employed. Hoping to smash the last quarter and ultimately have a successful 2023.

I never gave up hope.

Stoic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I thought I just bump/update this thread, 5 months later on back on track. Turns out I should have had 2 deals in December 2022 and Jan 2023. I spoke to my client today and they’ve agreed to pay 2 invoices worth £32,000. It’s money I already worked for in Q4 2022.

I have a candidate flying from Krakòw to Munich this Monday to finalise a deal worth €18,000 to me.

It’s been a slow year, the worst I’ve had since starting in 2020 and I’ve learned a lot. I took a freelance recruiting contract paying £250 a day for the last few months while I worked my business alongside. I’m about to do a £50k month from 3 invoices not including my contracting. My savings have been ravaged this year so this will be welcome income.

Pipeline is looking healthy. Signed a deal with a consultancy paying me 10% on all billings for any leads/clients I bring them. I leverage my own existing clients and made a deal early doors. I’ve been automating the cold business development outreach so basically no effort and have another client signed for them. They pressed me to use their email address but I know they just want my contact list/bd approach which I refused.

Been a bit absent from the forum and everything in general, working 3 jobs, 7am-10pm most days, all self employed. Hoping to smash the last quarter and ultimately have a successful 2023.

I never gave up hope.
Thats awesome man. Keep grinding!

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When the chips are down you find out what you are really made of. Good on you and Kudos for keeping going when the buzz saws came out.

Survival in tough times teaches you novel problem solving skills, grit and determination. It also stands as a constant reminder to set something aside during flush times, because you understand lean times.

Proud of you & know you are proud of yourself.

Cheers

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I never gave up hope.
The risk of going broke and becoming a failure is a great motivator lol For myself at least, nothing else lights a fire under my ass like major negative consequences, fast approaching deadlines and back against the wall. When you get to a point of being very comfortable it is really hard to keep that level of focus and drive. It is just human nature and can apply to so many areas like world powers, championship teams, large corporations etc As long as you are committed to do whatever it takes there is almost no problem that can't be solved or at least mitigated to a lot less than initially appeared. Nothing beats hungry and scrappy, good job

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When the chips are down you find out what you are really made of. Good on you and Kudos for keeping going when the buzz saws came out.

Survival in tough times teaches you novel problem solving skills, grit and determination. It also stands as a constant reminder to set something aside during flush times, because you understand lean times.

Proud of you & know you are proud of yourself.

Cheers
100% agree.

The risk of going broke and becoming a failure is a great motivator lol For myself at least, nothing else lights a fire under my ass like major negative consequences, fast approaching deadlines and back against the wall. When you get to a point of being very comfortable it is really hard to keep that level of focus and drive. It is just human nature and can apply to so many areas like world powers, championship teams, large corporations etc As long as you are committed to do whatever it takes there is almost no problem that can't be solved or at least mitigated to a lot less than initially appeared. Nothing beats hungry and scrappy, good job
I really didn't want to look for a job as I did feel that was failure but nothing seemed to be going right and my outgoings (business and personal) are so high I need constant income. I was scared at one point, I never stopped praying, I never blamed God. I think the biggest lesson I've learned is the value of money. I got too much too soon and didn't respect it. I took my foot off the gas and went travelling barely working in 2022. I respect it now, every penny.

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
100% agree.

I really didn't want to look for a job as I did feel that was failure but nothing seemed to be going right and my outgoings (business and personal) are so high I need constant income. I was scared at one point, I never stopped praying, I never blamed God. I think the biggest lesson I've learned is the value of money. I got too much too soon and didn't respect it. I took my foot off the gas and went travelling barely working in 2022. I respect it now, every penny.
Nothing wrong with being scared, I have been many times and can be a great motivator. Sounds like you are taking the lessons from each situation, which is the most important part.

Many times, a business's long term success is just having the war chest to ride out an extended period of time. I would suggest cut out any of the monthly luxury/not needed liabilities. Get that bare bones number as low as possible and build up a large cash reserve that can cover personal and business costs for at least 6 months if revenue stopped. Personally I like to keep at least a year but that might be overkill, I also have 30+ employees and never want them in a position where I could not pay them. That is my responsibility as an employer and will do everything I can to not break my end of the deal. For myself, took around 4/5 years to get to that point

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with being scared, I have been many times and can be a great motivator. Sounds like you are taking the lessons from each situation, which is the most important part.

Many times, a business's long term success is just having the war chest to ride out an extended period of time. I would suggest cut out any of the monthly luxury/not needed liabilities. Get that bare bones number as low as possible and build up a large cash reserve that can cover personal and business costs for at least 6 months if revenue stopped. Personally I like to keep at least a year but that might be overkill, I also have 30+ employees and never want them in a position where I could not pay them. That is my responsibility as an employer and will do everything I can to not break my end of the deal. For myself, took around 4/5 years to get to that point
This is what I have been doing, trying to get the outgoings as low as possible and stockpile the cash, it helped me ride out most of this year, I'll have enough to ride out 18-24 months without income. I plan to keep working as if I have £0 in my accounts and keep staying lowkey on the social front.