Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Creeping weight gain

anonymous12345

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
During the last year I’ve gained weight from 64.8 kg to 70.2 kg, that’s about a steady gain of 0.5 kg per month. 170 cm, athletic build. The change is a little bit visible on photos, I think.

I work out about 4-5 times a week, of which 3 lifting sessions: StrongLifts, compound movements. I run 1-2 8x3 Tabata sprints at 17km/h per week. I eat healthy, a lot of vegetables. No fast food or candy. Gonna cut out the morning orange juice, that’s 9% sugar. Compared to one year ago I have in one sense less stress, are less active, and sleep much, 8-9 hours.

I don’t eat exaggeratively much, but has to a bit, otherwise I can’t lift. Anyone else has experience with a similar background and this kind of weight gain? Might be a question of bulking/cutting. My answer so far is to have a more active, stressy, perhaps cumbersome life.

IMG_2735.png

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Is it muscle or fat? You should be putting on muscle and gaining weight that way if you are doing things properly. Not all weight is bad weight.

anonymous12345

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree, muscle gain is of interest.

If I look at the history of my exercises, I haven't upped the weights that much to correspond to the weight gain I would say. If I look at pictures then and now, I think I see slight belly fat.

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're concerned, you should go to a sports doctor. Your question can only be answered by doing a full medical evaluation with blood testing and fat measurements. It could just be muscle as @BackInTheGame78 said, or it could be the first signs of a medical problem.

One guy I used to work for was fat and pear shaped. It didn't matter how much he dieted or how much he worked out, he could not lose weight unless he went on an ultra-strict keto diet.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
One guy I used to work for was fat and pear shaped. It didn't matter how much he dieted or how much he worked out, he could not lose weight unless he went on an ultra-strict keto diet.
This is nonsense. His problem as is always the case with someone carrying fat in their midsection, was insulin resistance. You don't need to go on a Keto diet to fix that.

He likely was making poor food choices relative to fixing his insulting resistance issue. The type of carb matters. If you eat high glycemic carbs and expect to lose weight, especially with an insulin resistance problem, you aren't going to be successful.

The real problem was he simply didn't understand the reason he was too heavy(outside of eating too much), and as such, solving problems without knowing what the problem actually is not usually very successful without a ton of trial and error.

There is no such thing as "I can't lose weight". Only that many people don't understand how the body works so their attempts to lose weight outside of cutting calories are poor at best.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I agree, muscle gain is of interest.

If I look at the history of my exercises, I haven't upped the weights that much to correspond to the weight gain I would say. If I look at pictures then and now, I think I see slight belly fat.
Do you have calipers? Tape measure?

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is nonsense. His problem as is always the case with someone carrying fat in their midsection, was insulin resistance. You don't need to go on a Keto diet to fix that.

He likely was making poor food choices relative to fixing his insulting resistance issue. The type of carb matters. If you eat high glycemic carbs and expect to lose weight, especially with an insulin resistance problem, you aren't going to be successful.

The real problem was he simply didn't understand the reason he was too heavy(outside of eating too much), and as such, solving problems without knowing what the problem actually is not usually very successful without a ton of trial and error.

There is no such thing as "I can't lose weight". Only that many people don't understand how the body works so their attempts to lose weight outside of cutting calories are poor at best.
He wasn't just trying different diets to see what worked, he was under medical supervision on how to conduct his diet. I heard more about glycemic index and what the correct carbs from him than I ever cared to hear. I even watched him cut out carbs completely and it barely made any difference.

There is such a thing as can't lose weight. Just because lazy land whales claim it as an excuse doesn't make it not true.

Robert28

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have never seen an overweight person that drank alot of water. I’m talking throughout the day, every day no matter what. It’s the simple things when it comes to dieting and you’d be surprised how much sugar a person eats in a day without even realizing it.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Stop eating vegetable oils (canola oil, soybean oil, etc), it causes gut inflammation, bloating, increased body fat, amongst a myriad of other health problems.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
He wasn't just trying different diets to see what worked, he was under medical supervision on how to conduct his diet. I heard more about glycemic index and what the correct carbs from him than I ever cared to hear. I even watched him cut out carbs completely and it barely made any difference.

There is such a thing as can't lose weight. Just because lazy land whales claim it as an excuse doesn't make it not true.
It's all bullsh!t. They want to create a medical condition to treat so they can make money from it.

jimwho

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kotax, I believe some people zomby eat and deny it. Or sneak hide food and eat on the sly. Often I see women scarfing burgers on the freeway before they get home. I considered myself a amateur athlete for many years hovering around 6.2 230-250. Now old and 190-lbs and 5'11.11" How did I do it? Being hungry at all times every minute of every day.

Most people today can't do that. We are all into comfort. NO such thing as not being able to lose weight. Keeping muscle while losing weight/fat, now that is the real challenge.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Kotax, I believe some people zomby eat and deny it. Or sneak hide food and eat on the sly. Often I see women scarfing burgers on the freeway before they get home. I considered myself a amateur athlete for many years hovering around 6.2 230-250. Now old and 190-lbs and 5'11.11" How did I do it? Being hungry at all times every minute of every day.

Most people today can't do that. We are all into comfort. NO such thing as not being able to lose weight. Keeping muscle while losing weight/fat, now that is the real challenge.
You shouldn't need to be hungry all the time. IMHO, if you are eating nutrient dense foods with enough fiber that should greatly reduce or even eliminate hunger.

I wholeheartedly believe that there is a large portion of hunger that is nutrient driven, ie, no matter how much you eat, your body will keep telling you its hungry until you supply it with the proper nutrients. This is why people can eat 5000 calories of garbage but still be hungry while someone who is eating a wide variety of healthy foods can eat 1700 calories and literally be forcing themselves to eat because they aren't hungry.

IMO if you are constantly hungry something isn't right either with what you are eating or the nutrient content of it.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is why people can eat 5000 calories of garbage but still be hungry while someone who is eating a wide variety of healthy foods can eat 1700 calories and literally be forcing themselves to eat because they aren't hungry.
This is a key observation. I noticed it as well when I stopped eating meat. I thought for sure I’d be hungrier. The opposite as happened. I actually eat more total food now, albeit with fewer calories and more nutrients.

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Start doing waist measurements

jimwho

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Being hungry at all times every minute of every day.
You shouldn't need to be hungry all the time.
I read your post and agree. Good points. I can't think of a word for (I could eat) For instance it's 9:30 am & I'm off to work. Could I eat something? Yes, but I have no intention to eat until 9:00 pm. And not anything after midnight. It's what works for me. (Tonight=10oz meatloaf. 4-eggs-butter. Beans, B-rice, apple. About 1700?

I'm strict but drop my routine with family & friends. Sometimes beer and Pizza, all of it. Everyone should find what works for them and stay with it. Maybe hungry is too strong a word.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I read your post and agree. Good points. I can't think of a word for (I could eat) For instance it's 9:30 am & I'm off to work. Could I eat something? Yes, but I have no intention to eat until 9:00 pm. And not anything after midnight. It's what works for me. (Tonight=10oz meatloaf. 4-eggs-butter. Beans, B-rice, apple. About 1700?

I'm strict but drop my routine with family & friends. Sometimes beer and Pizza, all of it. Everyone should find what works for them and stay with it. Maybe hungry is too strong a word.
So you kinda do 20/4 intermittent fasting every day and do One Meal A Day(OMAD)?

I think it's hard to eat enough in a single meal. That's just for me personally...if that works for you then great. 1700 calories tho, is too low on a consistent basis. That's not even BMR level to maintain body function if you simply laid in bed 24 hours without opening your eyes or moving at all.

I'm not a big believer in the 6 meal a day strategy either. I haven't seen any real studies that have shown that style is superior in terms of results. Realistically, there isn't a study that has shown ANY eating style is superior other than some form of IF for fat loss(personally I prefer a 5:2 fasting style). Total calories in a 24 hour period are what is really important and not spiking blood sugar to the largest extent possible.