Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Downhill

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm posting this here since it references male and female gender roles, as well as husband/father/wife/family interactions.

I saw this movie "Downhill" (2020) with Will Ferrell and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, which is a remake of a 2014 movie called Force Majeure (which I haven't seen but may watch at some point). The movie revolves around a central event: The family is eating lunch outside, and they notice an avalanche coming down the mountain at a ski resort. It doesn't look threatening until the last moment when it appears they are going to get hit. Will Ferrell (the father) gets up and runs. His wife and two sons are sitting at the other side of the table and can't get away. It looks bad, but they are only left with a light covering of snow. The rest of the movie deals with the wife and kids resentment of their father for abandoning them.

Here's what I kept thinking: The wife seemed to expect that he would stay there and die with them (if it came to that), and even Will Ferrell admitted it was a cowardly act. But I don't see what good him getting buried by the avalanche would have done. He couldn't have saved them, they were on the other side of the table. Wouldn't it be best if he survived, then he could have come back and tried to dig them out before they suffocated (if it had come to that)? It's a variation of the "you have to help yourself before you can help others" concept. There were other people dining outside, by the time anyone would have gotten to them they would probably be dead. A live Will Ferrell would be their best bet. Anyone have a different take?

Billtx49

Reaction score
Similar situation to a military patrol surprise ambush. A hero doesn’t leave the scene and come back later with help. He’s immediate help for the others and faces the risk, and if he dies in the process, he did his best and tried…

He could have grabbed the kids almost as fast and run with the wifey following.

Lynx nkaf

Banned
Reaction score
I'm posting this here since it references male and female gender roles, as well as husband/father/wife/family interactions.

I saw this movie "Downhill" (2020) with Will Ferrell and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, which is a remake of a 2014 movie called Force Majeure (which I haven't seen but may watch at some point). The movie revolves around a central event: The family is eating lunch outside, and they notice an avalanche coming down the mountain at a ski resort. It doesn't look threatening until the last moment when it appears they are going to get hit. Will Ferrell (the father) gets up and runs. His wife and two sons are sitting at the other side of the table and can't get away. It looks bad, but they are only left with a light covering of snow. The rest of the movie deals with the wife and kids resentment of their father for abandoning them.

Here's what I kept thinking: The wife seemed to expect that he would stay there and die with them (if it came to that), and even Will Ferrell admitted it was a cowardly act. But I don't see what good him getting buried by the avalanche would have done. He couldn't have saved them, they were on the other side of the table. Wouldn't it be best if he survived, then he could have come back and tried to dig them out before they suffocated (if it had come to that)? It's a variation of the "you have to help yourself before you can help others" concept. There were other people dining outside, by the time anyone would have gotten to them they would probably be dead. A live Will Ferrell would be their best bet. Anyone have a different take?
Same take as you. Its why I didn't go see it. I knew they'd be picking on him the whole movie.
I'm tired of seeing Hollywood scripts pick on men.

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Female delusion injected into a movie, like its not his fault you had kids with a beta, in fact, we should really be praising this guy and the fact that he got this far already, got a lil' family now.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
He could have grabbed the kids almost as fast and run with the wifey following.
I don't think he could have ran around the table to grab the kids, it was a nearly instantaneous thing. They didn't realize it was an issue until the moment before it hit. I see it more like a drowning situation. If you drown yourself, you can't save anyone else.

Same take as you. Its why I didn't go see it. I knew they'd be picking on him the whole movie. I'm tired of seeing Hollywood scripts pick on men.
From what I've read, the Swedish/International version has a more redemptive ending for the husband/father. Not surprising the Hollywood version changed that.

Lookatu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I didn't see the movie but as a father and family man, I would've done whatever to save my family, even if it meant me dying. I would rather die than to live with the guilt that I couldn't do anything for them.

My father/mother worked 14-16 hour days all their lives to support me and my sister growing up. They sacrificed a lot for us. I guess that is where I get this kind of thought process from.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just realized something else about this movie. I saw it on HBO, and in the rating beforehand it had a Rape warning. There were only two sexual scenes in it, so I'm wondering what they considered rape. There was a scene where the husband walked into the bathroom when his wife was going to take a shower, I guess that could have been it. Then there was another scene where a ski instructor was trying to seduce the wife, he was massaging her calves (with permission), and there was a suggestion he may have groped somewhere without getting written consent first. She also kissed him without getting written consent first, so I suppose it must have been one of those things. Snowflakes today, I tell you.

I didn't see the movie but as a father and family man, I would've done whatever to save my family, even if it meant me dying.
I'm just thinking their chances of survival were much better if the father was alive.

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just realized something else about this movie. I saw it on HBO, and in the rating beforehand it had a Rape warning. There were only two sexual scenes in it, so I'm wondering what they considered rape. There was a scene where the husband walked into the bathroom when his wife was going to take a shower, I guess that could have been it. Then there was another scene where a ski instructor was trying to seduce the wife, he was massaging her calves (with permission), and there was a suggestion he may have groped somewhere without getting written consent first. She also kissed him without getting written consent first, so I suppose it must have been one of those things. Snowflakes today, I tell you.

I'm just thinking their chances of survival were much better if the father was alive.
The rape was likely husband walking in the shower. Allowing the wife transgressions is allowed within the imperative.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Only pre-viewed the first 20 minutes of Force Majeure but haven't fulfilled my own commitment to view the rest of the movie as of yet.
Looking at the ratings (ie, Rotten Tomatoes, IMDB), and knowing this is an Americanized remake of an internationally acclaimed movie, it just looks like a rip-off with someone trying to make a quick buck with one old A-list comedic actor. Hard pass. All indicators show Downhill (2020) is a rip-off of true art.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All indicators show Downhill (2020) is a rip-off of true art.
Most things I've read said Force Majeure was the better movie, and I don't doubt that is the case. It's free right now on Tubi, so I'll likely watch it. That aside, a lot of people didn't seem to like Downhill. I'm guessing they probably saw Will Ferrell's name and expected it to be a comedy, which it really wasn't. I thought it was a decent watch.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most things I've read said Force Majeure was the better movie, and I don't doubt that is the case. It's free right now on Tubi, so I'll likely watch it. That aside, a lot of people didn't seem to like Downhill. I'm guessing they probably saw Will Ferrell's name and expected it to be a comedy, which it really wasn't. I thought it was a decent watch.
Amything with Will Ferrels name after Sherlock and Watson, 2018, undermines the credibility of the movie. Before even looking at the critical and user reviews I did not care about the movie once his name was on it. When I see Will I think razzy award contender, lol!

That being said, would you have visited a real cinema and paid money to watch this? Would you rewatch the movie? Did any aspect of it stand out? Did it have great scenery or camera or score?

Its okay I like M Night Shyamalan movies which are usually critical review fails. Just because it does not have high marks does not mean it is bad.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
Movie was boring. Thanks for wasting 2 + hours of my time @zekko. JLD looked horrible. She was barely recognizable from Seinfeld. With all of that royal money she has, one would think she'd have a good plastic surgeon.

Billtx49

Reaction score
Amything with Will Ferrels name after Sherlock and Watson, 2018, undermines the credibility of the movie. Before even looking at the critical and user reviews I did not care about the movie once his name was on it. When I see Will I think razzy award contender, lol!

That being said, would you have visited a real cinema and paid money to watch this? Would you rewatch the movie?
Yep, his newest cinema low is Eurovision, a 50/50 mix of silly and nonsense…

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Movie was boring. Thanks for wasting 2 + hours of my time @zekko. JLD looked horrible.
Eh, I liked it. But I said it was decent, not great. But I agree JLD has hit the wall. But hey, she's 59, what do you expect? She doesn't look bad for 59, I don't think.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yep, his newest cinema low is Eurovision, a 50/50 mix of silly and nonsense…
The indicators seem to show it is a good streaming movie (not necessarily a good cinema movie). I've pre-viewed the first 20 minutes and have yet to fulfill watching the rest of the movie. However, what I did see was dazzling scenery, I learned about ABBA's Eurovision contest and looked up archival youtube footage and since I like the Abba group, but didn't know about Eurovision, I thought it this at least had expanded my knowledge of this.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That being said, would you have visited a real cinema and paid money to watch this? Would you rewatch the movie?
Nah, I never would have seen this in the theater. I would have probably gone if someone else wanted to see it, but I never would have initiated it. This isn't the type of movie I go see. I don't see myself rewatching it either, although I'm open to seeing the original version. I seldom rewatch movies these days, although I did watch Whiplash again a few weeks ago. Now that's a movie I would recommend.

The main reason I made a post about it was because of the gender roles and behaviors involved in it.

Rainman4707

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I have'nt seen the movie. It's one of those situations where you would'nt have much time to think about it.

I've been watching historic wars. Before i read this, I was thinking of a similar situation last night.

I imagined a had a wife. Band of men took her from me. They were going to slit her throat. If i fight them i am outnumbered 50/1.

I knew i could save myself and then at least one of us would live. My wife even shook her head telling me not to fight them (save myself)
I could'nt do that though. Leave her to die without at least trying to fight.

On reflection. Brain would say flight. Heart would say fight.