Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Anyone here cheap?

Jack12345

Banned
Reaction score
I need to work on my frugality, who here is cheap and not afraid to admit it?

What are some ways you save money?

What are some things you see people buy that’s a complete waste of money?

Why are you cheap? What’s the end goal?
I'm cheap af but I'm your worst advisor because my credit card is about to uncomfortably tickle some banker in a place where he once used to grow a mustache

P.S.

This is savage

P.S. #2

Zontyy

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm Frugal

Change my own oil, wiper blades, I know how to drywall wall, run electric. If I can learn it and do it myself I pretty much do that. The cost to pay someone to do it, I could invest in some high quality tools that I get to keep forever. When it comes to shopping I hit Ollie's and Aldi's first for discount food then walmart. Hell when I was in Aldi's parking lot after getting groceries I saw 4 carts out in the parking lot and quickly returned them for 4 quarters. I just cant help myself :D At my local Walmart 3PM and 7PM is when they mark down the meat that hasn't sold and is about to expiry. So I usually go in and grab a steak and walk over to the guy doing price markdowns and get him to mark down the steak. Discount stores like TJ Max but even then I'm buying clearance. If I eat out at a restaurant I plan ahead check apps for deals and only buy the deals. I drive a Prius not because it looks good but because of how long they last and how good their mileage is.

Too many things

I'm cheap so I can afford nice things with the money I earn. I recently purchased a very expensive umbrella made out of endangered wood from brazilian rainforest. Sometimes high quality rare firearm, I like to think all the high quality items I purchase that I will leave my future children. So I can have more money to invest in retirement and stocks maybe live off some fat dividends in my old age.

The only thing I seem to spend money on that I consider a waste is trips be it overseas or around the country. My father instilled experiences and the thrill of travel in me.

Last edited:

stovepipe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
More money saving tips for anyone. If you're going to buy a home, buy a home in which you can afford a 15 year mortgage. If you compare the cost savings it will blow your mind. That was a tip I learned from a Millionaire. My father made that mistake while his brother did a 15 year. My father still talks about it till this day wishing he had done it.

That's is one of the biggest cost savings tip I can think of in ones life. Yes, you might have to buy down a little and not get the fancier home you wanted. Being locked in for 30 years to me is ridiculous. After 15 years you could rent the home thats paid off and buy another home to live. That way your new homes mortgage is being paid by the renter or you come out of pocket a little. Either way it's a win win.

While you now have 2 homes after 15 years, and having your renter (almost) covering the cost of your new home, while the guy who got the 30 year mortgage still has 15 years to go to be where you're at. After another 15 years you now have 2 homes paid in full with the option to buy a 3rd. After 30 years you now have 2 homes paid off, tons of equity with the option to purchase a 3rd in which your mortgage would be zero with positive cash flow every month by renting the 2 homes. While the guy who got the 30 year mortgage got taken to the cleaners.

Car repair I always look for mechanics who work out of their home. I find them on forums for the specific car I own or on reddit. You end up saving a good chunk of money going this route. It will obviously be more difficult to find one depending on where you live. Currently I found one on reddit many months ago. He's like 10mins from me. He works in IT then does the car repair on the side out of his backyard where he has a separate garage. I save close to 50% by taking my car to him. For example, he recently did my transmission fluid change for $40 vs $80-$100 at gas stations or stealership. After doing the job he tops off all my fluids and looks over the engine for any issues I might have for no extra charge.

Clothes, I go to Ross, Marshalls or wait for the coupons for places like Khols. I'm a clearance rack hunter at any store. When seasons are about to change, places start marking down clothes to prepare for the next season. That's when I go in for the kill.

You'd be surprised what you can find on Ebay which most people have zero clue. Check that site for things before your purchase. Or check multiple sites for anything you're looking for to compare pricing. There are sites that offer gift cards at a reduced price. Sites where you purchase from their site for others sites that give you a % back in either paypal or check. Clearance items for most things when new models come out is a great time to buy electronics.

Credit cards have offers too, so always check to see what they have. Every $1 saved is a $1 earned. Most credit card companies "used" to offer up to $250-$500 cash back per item if you find a lower a price with $2500 max cash back per year. If you had lets say 4 cards that's $10k worth of free chit per year. I won't say how much I got over the years but that was a card benefit most everyone I knew had no idea about. Unfortunately the masses found out about it, abused it, committed fraud which ended the program from all credit cards companies.

There was a trick years ago where if a clearance item dropped at a particular store. You could buy it online, have it shipped to that clearance store, return it, rebuy it so it rings up at the clearance price. I did it with a 75" TV once. When the cashier scanned it after returning it the price came up to $750 from $2200. When the other cashiers noticed it, their eyes got big and said "wtf, how you do that, its a mistake, too late, my credit card already swiped. Flipped the TV made $1200.

I went a little off track there. You really need to study, keep your eyes open for sales, don't buy things you don't need, look for clearance items, set up alerts, sell things you no longer use. I just did that myself. I bought so much clearance stuff over years. My basement was stacked with things I'll never use or need. I sold most all of it in the past year. Sometimes it takes a year to sell something. It's ok to frugal. Some people might frown on you but who gives af. My friends all tip for places that don't require it. If you add up what they spent in tips vs what I tip which is close to nothing for those kind of places it would be in the hundreds or a little over a $1000.

Last edited:

Billtx49

Reaction score
If you can't get a 15 year mortgage, or already have a 30 year, making just one extra payment per year drops your amortization to 20 years.
Yep, paying $$ off the back end always saves interest spent. When the extra check is sent though, it has to be clear to the mortgage company that it’s for principle Only and not just an extra payment to get a month ahead…

Lookatu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
More money saving tips for anyone. If you're going to buy a home, buy a home in which you can afford a 15 year mortgage.

Car repair I always look for mechanics who work out of their home.

Clothes, I go to Ross, Marshalls or wait for the coupons for places like Khols.

You'd be surprised what you can find on Ebay which most people have zero clue. Check that site for things before your purchase.

Credit cards have offers too, so always check to see what they have. Every $1 saved is a $1 earned. Most credit card companies "used" to offer up to $250-$500 cash back per item if you find a lower a price with $2500 max cash back per year.
Luckily I only have 3 years left on my 15.

I've been working on cars since High School which allows me to drive nice used fancy cars. It's a good skill to have and doing all the basic maintenance isn't rocket science. Tools have also gotten very cheap(price and quality wise). It's definitely a good time to learn some basics to save some money.

I've hit up the stores you've mentioned but always like Burlington Coat Factory the best. I feel they may have better and more European influenced buyers that buy all their clothing lineup. YMMV. Another great resource for stylish and "fast fashion" clothing is Amazon. I just started this year and they offer free returns and you can usually gauge the fit through other buyer's comments and pictures.

Ebay is ok but don't forget Facebook Marketplace for deals on everything. Ebay charges buyers around 10% so smart sellers will mark it up accordingly to cover this cost. Marketplace is free to sell so no seller fees and hence a little cheaper sometimes.

Look for the best cash back cards and put EVERYTHING on the card as long as you pay it off each month. I generally collect ~$800 per year in cash back through my Costco Card. They pay out 4% gas, 3% restaurants, 2% travel, and 1% on everything else. They try to give you a Costco credit to spend at their stores but people don't know you can just request cold hard cash. Also putting everything on the card will help boost your FICO score. I got mine up to 850 currently.

stovepipe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Luckily I only have 3 years left on my 15.

I've been working on cars since High School which allows me to drive nice used fancy cars. It's a good skill to have and doing all the basic maintenance isn't rocket science. Tools have also gotten very cheap(price and quality wise). It's definitely a good time to learn some basics to save some money.

I've hit up the stores you've mentioned but always like Burlington Coat Factory the best. I feel they may have better and more European influenced buyers that buy all their clothing lineup. YMMV. Another great resource for stylish and "fast fashion" clothing is Amazon. I just started this year and they offer free returns and you can usually gauge the fit through other buyer's comments and pictures.

Ebay is ok but don't forget Facebook Marketplace for deals on everything. Ebay charges buyers around 10% so smart sellers will mark it up accordingly to cover this cost. Marketplace is free to sell so no seller fees and hence a little cheaper sometimes.

Look for the best cash back cards and put EVERYTHING on the card as long as you pay it off each month. I generally collect ~$800 per year in cash back through my Costco Card. They pay out 4% gas, 3% restaurants, 2% travel, and 1% on everything else. They try to give you a Costco credit to spend at their stores but people don't know you can just request cold hard cash. Also putting everything on the card will help boost your FICO score. I got mine up to 850 currently.
Working on cars is something I love and hate. You're right, it's not that hard if you take the time to learn the basics and go from there. I try to do my own work on things I feel comfortable with. I've been doing my own oil changes for the past 15 years, my own brakes, valve cover gasket, alternator, you know easy stuff. I don't own enough tools for certain jobs. Sometimes I just don't want to deal with it. I only drive cars that are easy to work on and considered reliable like Toyota & Honda. If you know how to work on cars, have the space & tools, you can make some really good money on the side.

Sucks Ebay now collects tax on purchases. But you can still find some really good deals on certain things. Good job on the Costco cash back. I used to sign up for Credit card offers that give $250-$400 for signing up after spending a certain amount. Those offers are becoming harder to find. Yes, they do hard pulls each time but an extra $700+ per year is worth it in my opinion. You can use that money to go in a nice trip each year or save it.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The chicks got low self esteem. That’s the reason why she’s living in her car, not because she’s trying to save money to travel or whatever rationalization she came up with.

You can tell by the types of guys she is manifesting. They treat her like sh1t because she treats herself like sh1t. People mirror your own beliefs about yourself. It’s wavelength.
If I lived in a car, the last thing I would have on my mind is dating.

"I am 35 years old, I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van down by the river".
The funny thing about that is both Matt Foley and this chick were 35 years old.

Jack12345

Banned
Reaction score
The chicks got low self esteem. That’s the reason why she’s living in her car, not because she’s trying to save money to travel or whatever rationalization she came up with.

You can tell by the types of guys she is manifesting. They treat her like sh1t because she treats herself like sh1t. People mirror your own beliefs about yourself. It’s wavelength.

If your dating life is incongruent, then something else is incongruent. As above, so below. Your outer manifestations are just a reflection of your inner mindset.

Having said all of that, I know people who have a lot of money who live in vans and RV’s because they love traveling year round. I even know a practicing bhuddist monk who lived in a van for a number of years before joining a monastery. But he was meditating 18 hours a day completely blissed out and didn’t want anything to do with society.

For me, owning one home is a liability. The first home I bought I didn’t even live in. I had construction friends fix it up and rented it out to people and used that money to buy another property in which I fixed up and rented out and used that money to buy another property in which i fixed up and rented out and used that money to buy Another property in which I currently live in but planning to look for another property so that I can rent this one out as well. Every property is paid off by rent money from another property so zero dollars come out of my pocket, yet I have multiple assests thanks to good credit and the bank.

If you have good credit, this is very very easy to pull off. You need some connections in the real estate field to help you find cheap fixer upper properties in neighborhoods that are going up in value. And it also helps to have connections with house builders and construction crews. I have a real estate uncle who advised me through most of it and according to him, it’s very foolish to follow the American dream and just buy one property and spend 30 years paying it off. Not when you can use debt to buy even more assets. Broke people actually don’t know that debt is actually a very good leverage to accumulate assets that will pay dividends decades from now.

The financial world runs on credit and credibility. If you have assets, the banks will give you more leverage. It’s actually in alignment with Jesus’s law of abundance: “For those who haveth, more shalt be given unto thee, and for those who hath not, more shall be taketh away” or something like that.
i find her somehow charming although shes crazy all over her head

Did consider this idea myself after I spent few nights in a car traveling around.. Living in a car is total freedom, the money saving is only a plus

Your posts are kick ass bro
learning from you a lot!

Lookatu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Working on cars is something I love and hate. You're right, it's not that hard if you take the time to learn the basics and go from there. I try to do my own work on things I feel comfortable with. I've been doing my own oil changes for the past 15 years, my own brakes, valve cover gasket, alternator, you know easy stuff. I don't own enough tools for certain jobs. Sometimes I just don't want to deal with it. I only drive cars that are easy to work on and considered reliable like Toyota & Honda. If you know how to work on cars, have the space & tools, you can make some really good money on the side.
Yeah just to clarify, I meant basic maintenance stuff. Dealers totally rip off customers these days on the most mundane stuff. Like $45 to change wiper blades? LOL

Personally I think EVERY male should have basic skill set including being able to change headlight bulbs, oil, air filter and stuff like that.

One of my older coworkers where he's a youth leader at his church was amazed that most of the kids in his program didn't even know how to turn a screwdriver or hammer a nail in. Pitiful.

Vice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm semi-frugal. I will not hesitate to drop $6k on a mattress, but the one I purchased was used so I got it for $1k. You spend a third of your life sleeping, investing in that area of life is critical.

However, I buy used tires for my car, and used parts for when things break down.

I rarely go out to eat, but I drop a pretty penny on lightly used Williams-Sonoma cookware from eBay.

I spend more money on higher quality, clean, organic meats that were either wild or raised on quality food and in stress-free environments.

Vice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Frugal people tend to be poor because they were frugal.

Well most of time.

OP, you must learn how to spend more because that creates more incentive for you to earn more and thus forcing you to open ur mind which in turn opens many possibilities.

I trust with this message you don't end up spending until you can't even buy a proper meal.
Please don't offer bad personal financial advice to people.

Craig Dates

Don Juan
Reaction score
Please don't offer bad personal financial advice to people.
Don't feed the trolls. Spaz is as right on things as the federal gov't. He's the only poster here who gives advice, but pots no proof or receipts. He claims to be a Mr. know it all with many businesses and lots of sexual experiences with men and women. For all we know he lives in a mud town somewhere in Asia. His knowledge of English so so good that he doesn't even know that Spaz means sane or mentally retarded.

Would you take advice from a mental retard?

You know who else lives a humble life, Warren Buffett, Mark Zuckerberg, and many more. Spaz needs medicine.

Xenom0rph

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
On a side note: how can an underground bunker be safe when someone can just park a truck on the door and trap people inside? I have never understood this concept, being trapped underground is the last thing I'd want. I'll take my chances on the surface....

Billtx49

Reaction score
On a side note: how can an underground bunker be safe when someone can just park a truck on the door and trap people inside? I have never understood this concept, being trapped underground is the last thing I'd want. I'll take my chances on the surface....
The best bunkers have multiple completely hidden escape hatches…

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

• Never ever buy any large dollar item new. This means cars, boats or houses.
  • Do not buy a house in an area where the market is in a bubble.
  • Buy everything cash if possible. If you can't afford it cash, don't buy it.
    • If you really want to buy something, pay at least half of the value as cash and finance as little as possible.
  • Avoid credit card usage where possible.
  • Expensive/exotic cars, they depreciate quickly and are usually horribly expensive if you keep them any length of time.
  • Big houses (that they live in).
  • Any kind of collector item. There are exceptions to this if you're an expert in a field of collection.
  • Expensive clothes or shoes
  • Art
The end goal is not to be a slave to things. I'd rather buy experiences than things.

I wouldn't say I'm cheap, I will spend good money on relatively useless items like sailboats because they teach me a lot about navigation and such, or they're great social tools to get to know people. But unless you're buying something that you're passionate about or is directly useful to you, purchasing things is usually an empty experience.

People are fickle, they think that buying something will give them some kind of satisfaction, but in reality they're going to be bored with it as soon as they get it and will be looking at something else to buy to scratch an itch that can never be relieved.

Georgepithyou

Banned
Reaction score
Yep i dont see the point in wasting money.
Never buy brand name stuff, they are all made in china anyways.

Buy foods in bulk when they are on sale, dont need to buy the luxury brand foods.

Dates are always cheap, i order starbucks water on first dates.

I only ever buy things i really need, I grew up in a working class family so it's all pretty much engrained in me. Even if i win the 100 million dollar lottery tomorrow I wouldn't change my lifestyle.

Last edited:

Blacksheep

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Just got into that after took some difficult decisions.

Basically:

Live on a small place, like a flat or kitnet. You don't need a big place. The simple, the best.

Food = Eat basics and real food.

If you want to got really cheap eat only eggs as protein.

Rice and beans, as they are good on nutrition content and cheap.

Vegetables.

Cut down completely credit card, only for really essential stuffs.

Make a list of everything you spend on a month and check what can be eliminated.

What I learned with all that: We don't need much to be happy. And the simple things in life is the best ones.

When I was living on one of my father's house, it was really big. 2 floors house + one small house in tha backyard. Too much stress and too much stuff to fix to keep the house ok.

Now on a flat apartment, it's so perfect. 1 hour to clean the house, and being minimalist I can use my energy to do what matters.

I still have to fix some behaviors, cause sometimes I feel the need to eat or drink something different. But it's all about habits.

Also, living by yourself can teach you such a great lessons in life.

The goal depends on what you want. I'm doing that because I've been abused for so many years in my family environment. I got sick in so many ways and this situation now is the path to cure myself.

And man, I have so much time to think about everything. A lot of stuffs we consume is pure crap. The beauty in life will always be on simple things...

cola

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
what about you, cola?
I live a life of excess... I have expensive taste in clothes, particularly sneakers. Being invited somewhere constitutes a trip to Nordstrom’s for at minimum a new shirt. It would be an anomaly for you to ever see me in the same outfit twice(besides gym stuff). It’s not uncommon for me to drop $200 - 300 on a pair of sneakers, I’d say every three months. Jordan’s, yeezys. With over 25 pairs of sneakers all practically new sometimes the shoes will sit a half year before being worn.

I enjoy expensive cuts of steak, expensive sea food. I enjoy professional massages atleast once a month. I pay $30 for a bald side fade haircut weekly. I get my feet pedicured monthly. Theoretically, 30 years old with no kids, making 60,000+ yearly in the northeast I should have thousands in the bank. But I do not due to expensive hobbies & lifestyle .. Not glorifying any of this just being completely honest

thus the creation of this thread.

Basically I spend money like a 23 year old white girl from Beverly Hills. I’m somewhat metrosexual if anyone uses these terms anymore. I own 30+ bottles of cologne, ranging from $30 Azzaro Chrome to $350 Creed Aventus
One good thing I will say about myself is very little debt, all things considered. All this folly is funded with cash not credit.
However I am what you call “hood rich”.. I have all these worthless material flashy things but no assets. Car is financed, live in apartment .. etc etc

Last edited: