Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Was it worth shutting down the economy?

bcude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My alternative plan is simple. Keep the economy open and quarantine the elderly and immune compromised. Let herd immunity actually happen. Eliminate the chance of a 2nd wave. Then the elderly and immune compromised come out quarantine within 2 months.

90% of U.S. deaths from Covid-19 is age 55 or older.
It wouldn't work because you're simplifying this using deaths as the only measurement.
Hospitals are filled with people of every age in need of ICU being severely ill, just because older people have worse odds of surviving doesn't mean younger people won't get effected, so the outcome would still be a healthcare that's completely overrun, meaning non-existent healthcare for everyone due to overload. That's just the reality with multiplicative spreads.
Second point herd immunity will always happen at one point in the future no matter the strategy, that's the only way to get totally rid of viruses like this. It's just a matter of how fast or slow you make that happen.

UK tried your way in the beginning, but changed after pressure from leading professors and scientists. Sweden are taking your approach but the economy is still basically shut down because people choose to distance themselves since most people have parents they want to protect, just like yourself i imagine. The elderly and most fragile are totally isolated and they say they wont be allowed to come out until the end of the year. The virus still reached them through their asymptomatic caregivers so that proved to be a failure but unavoidable.
2nd waves almost always occur because viruses mutate and restrictions are removed. It's not exact science, there's an element of trial, error and adaption to it.

I would love to see an approach that would actually work without having to shut down the economy for a period of time, but it's just not realistic.
The real question is the amount of measures necessary and how fast or slow you ease them back to normal.

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It wouldn't work because you're simplifying this using deaths as the only measurement.
Hospitals are filled with people of every age in need of ICU being severely ill, just because older people have worse odds of surviving doesn't mean younger people won't get effected, so the outcome would still be a healthcare that's completely overrun, meaning non-existent healthcare for everyone due to overload. That's just the reality with multiplicative spreads.
Second point herd immunity will always happen at one point in the future no matter the strategy, that's the only way to get totally rid of viruses like this. It's just a matter of how fast or slow you make that happen.

UK tried your way in the beginning, but changed after pressure from leading professors and scientists. Sweden are taking your approach but the economy is still basically shut down because people choose to distance themselves since most people have parents they want to protect, just like yourself i imagine. The elderly and most fragile are totally isolated and they say they wont be allowed to come out until the end of the year. The virus still reached them through their asymptomatic caregivers so that proved to be a failure but unavoidable.
2nd waves almost always occur because viruses mutate and restrictions are removed. It's not exact science, there's an element of trial, error and adaption to it.

I would love to see an approach that would actually work without having to shut down the economy for a period of time, but it's just not realistic.
The real question is the amount of measures necessary and how fast or slow you ease them back to normal.
Except hospitals are not full. They are empty in most places. I have seen it with my own eyes. People are not being given proper treatment for thousands of other illnesses. How many will die from that? Is it somehow worse to die from coronavirus than a heart attack? Read that again. Due to this overreaction, most of healthcare is being completely neglected. All focus on one disease as rooms sit empty and nurses sit idle.

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Majority of those hospitalized are older. While there are many younger who are hospitalized l, many of those had compromised health. They would be quarantined as well.
As for taking it less serious. Have you been to Walmart? I guarantee to you that is where it is spreading.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
@Spaz you flatter me even more you silver tongued devil.
I just saw Walmart written somewhere.

How abt you entertain us with some stories of those tunnels underneath, you know the one where the US military or China dug up for some invasionnnnn?

I can't wait to hear all abt it...

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
Majority of those hospitalized are older. While there are many younger who are hospitalized l, many of those had compromised health. They would be quarantined as well.
As for taking it less serious. Have you been to Walmart? I guarantee to you that is where it is spreading.
What's the percentage of young people (18-49) that's obese (that's likely prone to hypertension) in ur location?

GoodOne123

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I see your point, but as I stated before even people with compromised health conditions will not take quarantining as seriously as a total lockdown situation.

Let's say the government had advised people with health problems to quarantine themselves. I'd bet the majority of 20 something people with asthmatic problems will not turn down the opportunity to go out to the club with their friends. It's very hard to self isolate when everyone else is out having fun. I suspect the government knew this which is why they are doing a strict lockdown.

That's a fair point that Wal-Mart probably spreads the virus around, but I'm sure that it would be 10 times worse if all retail stores, clubs, bars etc were open too.

I don't entirely disagree with you, but I think both sides of the argument have a point.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Except hospitals are not full. They are empty in most places. I have seen it with my own eyes. People are not being given proper treatment for thousands of other illnesses. How many will die from that? Is it somehow worse to die from coronavirus than a heart attack? Read that again. Due to this overreaction, most of healthcare is being completely neglected. All focus on one disease as rooms sit empty and nurses sit idle.
Read more. You are speaking on something you have no credibility on. We know you want to just "let it rip" to save the economy, but that creates the exact problem you describe here. The hospitals will certainly be overcapacity for COVID-19 while everyone who has a heart attack will simply die.

"Hospitals are empty in most places from what I've seen" is bullshvt. That's an anecdotal fallacy. Knock it off.

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What's the percentage of young people (18-49) that's obese (that's likely prone to hypertension) in ur location?
Well, a quick search reveals the obesity rate for U.S. adults ages 20-39 is 35.7%

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Read more. You are speaking on something you have no credibility on. We know you want to just "let it rip" to save the economy, but that creates the exact problem you describe here. The hospitals will certainly be overcapacity for COVID-19 while everyone who has a heart attack will simply die.

"Hospitals are empty in most places from what I've seen" is bullshvt. That's an anecdotal fallacy. Knock it off.
Attacking credibility is a fallacy as you lack an argument against the actual substance of the argument.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Seriously? Why are you so contrary? It's happening. Here's another link, check out the graph. This is the largest decline in health care employment in the last 30 years. Probably longer, but the graph only goes back 30 years.

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/8/21213995/coronavirus-us-layoffs-furloughs-hospitals
Anecdotal evidence. Even if this becomes a widespread national issue, it's a function of the U.S. health care system being for-profit. Hospital layoffs described here are a solvency issue. What an efficient way to run a country's health care system...

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Substance requires data points, facts, and sources. Your anecdotes are insufficient.
You claimed hospitals will be over capacity without sufficient evidence. You are a troll

Last edited:

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Last edited: