Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Making a Synthesizer: Do I sell it or release it as freeware?

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys, so for those of you who know me, I'm a programmer. I'm working towards one of my dreams of building a soft synthesizer. I plan on entering it in two competitions. If I win, it will look great on my resume. And I'll have accomplished my dream. But my question is, when I finish this program, do I put it on the internet for people to use in the spirit of good will? More people would be more likely to use it if it were free, and I could post the code to GitHub for prospective employers to see. Or, do I try and sell it for a reasonable price to make a profit? I'd like to know you all's thoughts.

switch7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys, so for those of you who know me, I'm a programmer. I'm working towards one of my dreams of building a soft synthesizer. I plan on entering it in two competitions. If I win, it will look great on my resume. And I'll have accomplished my dream. But my question is, when I finish this program, do I put it on the internet for people to use in the spirit of good will? More people would be more likely to use it if it were free, and I could post the code to GitHub for prospective employers to see. Or, do I try and sell it for a reasonable price to make a profit? I'd like to know you all's thoughts.
All depends how good it is. Would be interested to hear some samples of what it can do

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
Creative technologies made huge $$ back in the late 80's - early 90's selling that.

You should offer it for free but link it with adware to generate income.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Release it free, ask for feedback, use the feedback to make it better and then later sell it. Use freebie user testimonials to sell it.

There are tons of soft synths out there, both free and paid.

logicallefty

Reaction score
Release it free, ask for feedback, use the feedback to make it better and then later sell it. Use freebie user testimonials to sell it.

There are tons of soft synths out there, both free and paid.
This^. I never buy software that I can't try out first. But if you provide it to me for free for a few months and it blows the drawers off my waste, then as soon as you start charging for it I will gladly pay you for it at that time.

wifehunter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Is it a 64bit VST?

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
Plenty of good advice here OP. I would personally take Taiyuu's advice.

Chase your passions OP and be effective in it. You'll be great if you do so.

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Plenty of good advice here OP. I would personally take Taiyuu's advice.

Chase your passions OP and be effective in it. You'll be great if you do so.
I will. I appreciate the great advice!

wifehunter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

wifehunter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
good stuff. You program all those drum tracks yourself or you use loops?
Both, I program and use loops. It makes things more interesting. Thanks!

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

wifehunter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your music sounds great dude, it’s really well mixed. I might hit you up on here for some producing tips! And I’m not sure what genre you would call this... but I’m thinking it has some techno elements. Don’t quote me on that cause I don’t really listen to that genre like that lol
Thanks!

Sure, I can give tips! But, at the end of the day, only you can decide what works for you and your music.

By the way, if you have any requests for features that should be in a VST feel free to let me know! I’d definitely like some ideas/feedback from producers other than myself. What VSTs do you use now?
Sure, I can help with ideas.

Vsts? For synths, I mostly use Waldorf's Largo:

ref: https://waldorfmusic.com/en/largo-overview