Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Education Opportunities

Fzatf

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I am completing my associates degree this summer and have a couple of options.

I'm currently on disability and will have an opportunity to study while I'm watching my daughter while my soon to be ex-wife works. I can either take out student loans and work on my bachelor's degree for computer science or I can study programming full time to become job ready within a year or two.

I'm looking for advice regarding going for a programming job with or without a degree. If I go the degree route it will take me longer to get the programming education done. If I go the self study route I may have trouble getting taken seriously for interviews without the degree.

If anyone in the field could weigh in it would be much appreciated. Also advice from people outside the field could offer additional perspective.

BoySam

Banned
Reaction score
Some specialities like medicine and biology need a university degree for safety reasons, it’s difficult to judge how good a doctor is by their portfolio, they can’t effectively prove how good and ethical they are with a portfolio.

I believe that painters, cooks, singers, programmers and even mathematicians actually don't need a degree, because what matters is what they can do. A good institution doesn’t imply in a good programmer, so start studying!

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Some specialities like medicine and biology need a university degree for safety reasons, it’s difficult to judge how good a doctor is by their portfolio, they can’t effectively prove how good and ethical they are with a portfolio.

I believe that painters, cooks, singers, programmers and even mathematicians actually don't need a degree, because what matters is what they can do. A good institution doesn’t imply in a good programmer, so start studying!

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Look up coding schools/academies in your area. They are offered by specific companies and often end with a job offer.

IKO69

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with the above - the best and shortest way is to probably do some sort of coding bootcamp --- it costs a couple of thousand dollars but it is pretty legit. I'm majoring in IT and i've done some coding but I was thinking of going to one myself to get my coding ability up.

A Comp Sci degree isn't completely necessary but it will be at some point. Now adays everyone has a college degree - unless it's a STEM degree it doesn't really prove much except that you are able to show commitment and persistence in getting through...which is valued sure. The most important thing for you coders is to just have a portfolio of projects you've done and can show off.

DEEZEDBRAH

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am completing my associates degree this summer and have a couple of options.

I'm currently on disability and will have an opportunity to study while I'm watching my daughter while my soon to be ex-wife works. I can either take out student loans and work on my bachelor's degree for computer science or I can study programming full time to become job ready within a year or two.

I'm looking for advice regarding going for a programming job with or without a degree. If I go the degree route it will take me longer to get the programming education done. If I go the self study route I may have trouble getting taken seriously for interviews without the degree.

If anyone in the field could weigh in it would be much appreciated. Also advice from people outside the field could offer additional perspective.
You can declare bankruptcy on everything from house, car, visa, line of credit, etc but you can't on a student loan. Itd blood money. Furthermore, the stats on paying off student loans are in. Don't do it.

If yiu are outsourced and have a gov grant or a severance package to pay school, fantastic. Go get a trade or stem degree.