LOST theories

Ever onward

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Aw Penny, you gave me homework! Okay I promise to check it out...

But I subscribe to the theory that the Others are descended from those that built the 'statue foot' from season 2 and that Richard, is just an actor they tried to make look younger (but failed) in the flash back.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ever onward said:
Aw Penny, you gave me homework! Okay I promise to check it out...

But I subscribe to the theory that the Others are descended from those that built the 'statue foot' from season 2 and that Richard, is just an actor they tried to make look younger (but failed) in the flash back.
its ok you can look whenever you like for the links.
i have not given much thought to the foot yet.
with so many mysteries to lost, i believe richard isnt aging.

Ever onward

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Isn't that what's so great about Lost Penny? We can all see the same thing and the experience is different for each and every one of us. There is so much that is open to interpretation. There is so much that is applicable to all aspects of life. God I love this show!

Nighty, night!

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
do any of you older members know any show that even comes close to paralleling lost?
i grew up watching looney tunes. this is my first taste of really good tv.

Harpe

Don Juan
Reaction score
Some indicators that time travel/warping is involved:

In the last episode, the polar bear and dharma sign in an archaeological site in the Tunisian desert.

there was an episode with Desmond last season after the explosion where he was experiencing parts of his life that he had already gone through, and there was a woman in a shop that he was in who seemed to know what was going on and told him that he had to do things a certain way.

In the scene at the beginning of season three where Russeu's daughter's boyfriend was being forced to watch scenes on tv you can hear a voice that says "Only fools are enslaved by time and space."

A character was reading the stephen hawking book "a brief history of time".

I'm sure there are tons more, but those are the only ones I can remember right now.

As for shows paralleling Lost, back in the early 90's it was Twin Peaks. I was too young to watch it back then, but watching it later it seemed very odd to me that people were fascinated by this show. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but it is just so damn weird (hell, it IS done by david lynch).

It has extreme melodrama like a soap opera, random funny momements thrown in seeminly haphazardly, very dark and disturbing scenes, extremely bizzare characters who have strange speech patterns, one armed men, bob, backwards talking midget dreams, a giant, and owls who are not what they seem.

Weirdest show ever, though brilliant if you like that sort of thing (which I do). As bizzare as it was, people were fasnicated by it, and it has become THE cult show (though Lost I think is eclipsing it...). Hell, I can think of two simpsons episodes that contain references to it off the top of my head. Last weeks episode of Lost even had a reference to it in the exchange between Lock and Sawyer and their discussion of Walt.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
I agree with Harpe that Twin Peaks is the only show which has had this type of cult following. I was in high school at the time and remember I had to be home, no matter what was going on, to be in front of the tube to get my T.P. shot.

It was, up to that point, the best written show I'd ever heard. The acting was spot on too.

I still have a huuuuge crush on Sheryl Lee.

When I was a little K, my Dad brought my brother and I to see The Legend of the Lone Ranger with Klinton Spilsbury and Michael Horse as Tonto. Michael Horse always stuck in my mind as a great actor and it was another reason I am as huge a T.P. fan as I remain.

The X-Files were an enormous hit too but trailed out to nothingness after Duchovny left.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
KarmaSutra said:
I agree with Harpe that Twin Peaks is the only show which has had this type of cult following. I was in high school at the time and remember I had to be home, no matter what was going on, to be in front of the tube to get my T.P. shot.

It was, up to that point, the best written show I'd ever heard. The acting was spot on too.

The X-Files were an enormous hit too but trailed out to nothingness after Duchovny left.
i also remember twin peaks and was in high school when it came on, and my golly , i would be so upset if anyone said a word during the thing.
who killed laura palmer? it was the neatest, yet weirdest thing to ever watch. i loved the detective and started drinking coffee.
xfiles was great, but by the time it came on tv, i had to work and missed all the shows.

Ever onward

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright I'm officially warming to the time warp theory the more I think about it.

-There was an episode where Sayid was fixing a radio and Hurley was with him. I can't remember the details but I remember that Sayid got a radio signal and said "it's impossible to tell where it's coming from".

And Hurley answered back "or when?"

-The whole mystery of Flight 815's wreckage being found underwater. It seems to suggest an alternate reality where the flight crashed in the ocean and there were no survivors. However in the flashback of the pilot on Naomi's crew, the pilot saw that the corpse of the pilot of 815 wasn't wearing a wedding ring and that raises doubts if the wreckage is authentic.

Hmmm

Harpe

Don Juan
Reaction score
Lost and Smallville are nothing alike, please.

The thing about the shows you mentioned as being good are that most of their episodes were stand alone; they had a different story to tell each week, though there was always the over arching mystery behind the show. The x-files was also great at keeping up the sexual tension of Mulder and Scully by keeping the 'drama' between the two of them to an absolute minimum. There would be small moments between the two of them occasionally that would hint at their mutual attraction or perhaps just their 'closeness', but there was never really any 'drama' between the two of them. And it worked.

The thing about Lost is that they pretty much do the exact same thing with Jack and Kate. It is a little bit more out in the open, but overall they keep up the sexual tension between them. Very few minutes on the show have explicitly involved drama between them. And that is mostly true for all the other characters, with perhaps the exception of Shannon and Sayid (which was a weird relationship...)

That being said, Lost is essentially character driven. Having a different mystery to solve each week doesn't really work because of the dynamic of the show. Instead of solving a new mystery each week, one big complicated mystery is revealed to you bit by bit. In the mean time, the main focus of the show is the drama that comes from the flashbacks of the characters, with each one having to deal with issues that have arisen in their lives. It seems to be that for many of them their purpose for being on the island is to resolve some of these issues, or die in the process.

If you do not like that sort of thing, or if you do not have the patience for its slower pace, you will not like Lost. However, you are missing out on one of the most complicated and intriguing mysteries in any media form. For me the best episodes of Lost are not the stand alone episodes dealing with individual characters, but the ones that more actively explore the mysteries of the island. I think that is probably why I am liking this season so far....less character drama, more mystery. As the series comes closer to ending I think we will see more of the mystery aspect of the show come out, or at least more 'action' episodes with immediate plot considerations taking precedence.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
kickureface said:
wtf is dr who
dr who came on when i was really small on pbs... his place was like this tiny thing, but once inside it was huge! other than that, and the english accent, i dont remember what it was about.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Doctor Who was a pretentious flop of a show built on Trekkie nostalgia.

Lost is so engrossing because you will never, EVER know what will happen with the character you epitomize most. That's the cleverness of Lost. They have every single Jungian Archetype covered so there is something for everyone. There are even those Shadow Archetypes which you loathe of yourself in the characters as well.

Ever onward

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Who do you guys think will be the next of the oceanic 6 to be revealed?

They have yet to show a flash-forward for Kate so it could be her. However, I don't think they'll show anything about her yet as it may reveal too much of the Jack-Kate-Sawyer triangle and the writers want to keep us guessing for as long as possible. I think Sayid will be the next one. Because I'm sure at some point the writers are going to want to show what happens with Nadia once he gets off the Island.

Also, did you hear that the writers strike is settled? Sounds like they may have new episodes ready by the time we get to the end of 8 they are currently showing us. Sweet!

Harpe

Don Juan
Reaction score
Might be Claire. Desmond's said that in his vision he saw Claire get on a helicopter (though whether or not that means she actually gets off the island, who knows). It's pretty much the reason Charlie decided to go to his death, so It'd be a shame if she wasn't one of the 6.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
I'm thinking it will be Claire as well. Though she is on Locke's side of the fence she is the only one with child and that will play a significant part with the whole Dharma experiments and getting her checked out.

Ever onward

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmmm now that I brought up the Sayid/Nadia aspect that got me thinking. Is Nadia supposed to be dead or alive?

Remember on Season 1 when Rosseou was interrogating Sayid she asked him about the picture of Nadia and I'm pretty sure he said Nadia was dead.

But then in one of the flashbacks didn't someone tell Sayid that Nadia was alive??? I think it might have been the government agents trying to get Sayid to work for them to infiltrate that terrorist cell....

Can't remember...

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
nadia is alive, as we saw her in a flashback with john locke before he got on the oceanic flight. he believes her to be dead, but she is not.