Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

LOST theories

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
This fvcking show drives me nuts. :cuss: :cry: :crazy: :D

Let me rephrase. This is unequivocally the greatest television show in the history of the medium. I'll back my opinion up with these:

The Writing - Hands down some of the most prolific, thought engrossing words ever uttered by actors.

The Actors - Took a bunch of has beens and no-bodys and turned them into virtual thespians. When I'm watching the show, I don't see the actors I see the characters alive; full of vigor and excitement. When they're feeling something I'm feeling it too. THAT is good writing, when it's unnoticable.

The Production - Great sets, immaculate lighting. The tempo of the show is so good it's absurd.

Now on to my theory:

I believe that The Island is the fourth dimension. The survivors are caught in a temporal rift between dimensions. Neither alive nor dead but in an altogether surreal type of existence. The Others are alive though and living in this reality.

Hear me out.

The Others have the cognitive abliity to communicate and interact with the survivors but are powerless in regards to the secrets of The Island. Which explains how Locke has heard Jacob and was healed after the crash but Ben knows only about Jacob and has been stricken with cancer and loss of his energy. I think Locke has drained Ben of his power. Also, Richard and Tom and the rest of The Others (aside from the scientists bought to The Island by the Dharma Initiative) are the pirates from the Black Rock who wandered and lived as a tribe until Ben came along with his abilities to lead them. Now it seems mutiny is on the horizon and Ben won't be able to hold on much longer.

I swear I could go on and on (believe me Mrs. K and I wake up in the middle of the night to discuss the most minute of details :D ) but I want to know what you guys think?

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Lost and American Idol are the only TV shows I must see every week.

Lost IS the best show EVER on television...and it's one huge mind fvck and so addicting.

I can't wait to see what the hell happens to Charlie next week. And damn it you just KNOW Locke is still alive.

Oh...as for my theories...

I've thought they survivors are stuck in purgatory but are being given a chance to face their own ghosts and if they succeed they will eventually get to go back. If they don't start over and try to make things right on the island then they die one by one.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
The producers have already put the kaibosh on the Purgatory theory. Although, it may have some religious significance in the grand scheme.

As far as Charlie, he won't be killed off just yet. Desmond (my favorite character on the show) has other plans that are yet untold regarding Charlie, Claire and Aaron.

Desmond again will save the season by attempting to sacrifice himself for his people. Like Christ, Desmond died and was risen with new powers of foresight.

I think the black smoke is Jacob in immaterial form. Locke will be saved and give the power of life or death to whomever he chooses. He, Desmond and The Island are linked together in some metaphysical triangle.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
KarmaSutra said:
The producers have already put the kaibosh on the Purgatory theory. Although, it may have some religious significance in the grand scheme.

As far as Charlie, he won't be killed off just yet. Desmond (my favorite character on the show) has other plans that are yet untold regarding Charlie, Claire and Aaron.

Desmond again will save the season by attempting to sacrifice himself for his people. Like Christ, Desmond died and was risen with new powers of foresight.

I think the black smoke is Jacob in immaterial form. Locke will be saved and give the power of life or death to whomever he chooses. He, Desmond and The Island are linked together in some metaphysical triangle.
I don't really follow what the producers say, so I didn't know they said that wasn't it. I think ghosts/spirits are tied in somehow...especially since that parachute chick said they found the plane elsewhere and all the remains. It could be time travel/other dimension or even alien based, lol. As awesome as the show is, just when you think you're figuring it out they take a twist or turn that blows your theories all to hell, lol.

What I know is that I'm righteously pissed the finale is on the same time the American Idol finale is on. I want to watch lost more but I know I can watch Lost online the next day but I won't be able to watch the Idol finale the next day. It really pisses me off, lol. I'll probably have an exam on Thursday too which means I'll have to study really early, lmao.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Hah...it's probably the Bermuda Triangle, lol.

Actually...I did some looking around online and the Pacific Ocean has it's own area similar to the Bermuda Triangle called Dragon's Triangle...and it's right where the parachute chick claims the plane wreck was found. They are inside the Dragon's Triangle.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
wolf116 said:
the fourth dimension is time.
No sh!t. Time on a completely different octave and wavelength.

Is that your entire contribution to this thread? If so please bugger off and watch reruns of that godawful Greys Anatomy.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Wyldfire said:
Hah...it's probably the Bermuda Triangle, lol.
Obviously it has nothing to do with the Bermuda or any of the other Triangles around the globe. The plane left Sidney en route to America. Nowhere near that part of the world.

The magnetic shield protecting the Island is man made though. Or is it . . .

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
KarmaSutra said:
Obviously it has nothing to do with the Bermuda or any of the other Triangles around the globe. The plane left Sidney en route to America. Nowhere near that part of the world.

The magnetic shield protecting the Island is man made though. Or is it . . .
Yeah...but they turned around mid-flight and headed back west before they hit turbulence. The plane crash and remains were supposedly found off the coast of Bali...which is in the same vicinity of Dragon's Triangle.

Just because of all the magnetic stuff with the Island I am thinking it has to be one of the Vile Vortices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vile_Vortices

It's aliens who made the shield. The Others are aliens except for Ben and the Dharma people...who were brought there by aliens who can make themselves look like people...and they are in a Vile Vortice. hahahaha Fvcking show makes me bonkers everytime I think or talk about it.

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

Other theories, which are WELL supported by events occuring in the shows... (and yes I'm a Heroes and Lost addict).

1) The island has a "father" and is seeking his children, next-in line/son. All of the losties, or MOST, have severe father issues, and severe personal issues. I needn't explain them individually, anybody who has watched the show knows this to be factual, it's merely your interpretation of what they mean. Jacob, or someone else, or the island, is the father, and in all likelihood, Locke is the son, inheritant, or next in line to command the power and truths of the island. The plane crashed for a reason, and people have come and gone who were NOT the children or descendents of the island. A further analysis of show is required, but is support by the fact Locke "heard" Jacob, but Ben did not. Also, Ben survives. Yes, remember he donated something? Where he was shot was not a critical part of his body anymore. He lives and Ben is probably overthrown. I do believe the Island holds a critical part of our world with it, and the Others were either hostiles trying to get it, or protect it from the Dharma Project. The Dharma Project, like most capitalistic business/science projects, sought to exploit the island. This may have been what the purge was for...to PURGE the island of invaders who had no right there. Ben was probably told HE was meant to be the next inheritor of the island...IF he killed his Dad. Only, he's never heard Jacob as Locke did. There's no reason Jacob is kept in a Shack like that, or lives there. Or, it's possible Jacob is IMPORTANT to the island, and Ben has overthrown him, and in some way, taken or inhibited his powers.

This would wind in with the Island being in another dimension, or something similar to the Bermuda Triangle. The station Charlie found is PROBABLY the portal location, and people were then SUBBED to the service. Locke only destroyed the illusion that people could no longer come and go. They could, IF they wanted to swim down below the surface. I'm sure Juliet wasn't told it was a 4th dimension, just that it was on a remote island and required a sub to get there. That way, they wouldn't raise suspisicion beyond what Ben truly wanted.

The Island probably attracted BACK people who fit the profile of those who would inherit the island or something similar. Hence why nothing is mere "coincidence." The numbers, people knowing each other in time, etc.

Other points...

**The Device Locke Unknowingly blew up maintained an entry and exit point for the dimensional time machine. Perhaps something happened prior, but this Machine may maintained a finite, easily located hole that enabled people to come to and fro from the island. When Locke allowed it to go, and Desmond let it slide, it demonstrated what it does. Namely, things are quite random since Locke let it fully blow...i.e. his dad, Naomi, random crap on the island. It's possible, the island has been known about through all of time in the show, and represent a theme going back as far as time itself, and that would explain the random, out of date, people, things, and ships, as well monsters.

When Desmond set off the device, it brought the plane, that was probably destined, as Locke has put it. When Locke broke the machine, the hole from which things travel, expanded, contracted, or became totally random, which is TRULY why people can't come or go as they please, although the sub represented that illusion, and now Ben is happy it's gone, b/c he no longer has to explain what the island is or represents.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thoughts/questions:

1. Richard was there before Ben, so who is he?
2. Is the island now viewable on the map b/c of the event caused by Desmond, or is it another dimension?
3. How did the Dharma Initiative come to know about the island?
4. Who was the guy originally pressing the buttons IF he was not an ex member of the Dharma Initiative? (supposedly all killed off?)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Desmond kind of explains alot. He was originally on the island. Because of what he did with the machinery, he was blown off the island, back in time, only to return again. HE must have a purpose on being there, POSSIBLY linked to something Charlie must do, as his only main purpose of being there WAS keeping Charlie alive. His flashbacks are due to the fact he was ported off 1 time path, thrown back, and then started anew. Evidently, the island didn't like the results that came out of doing it the many ways Charlie died, so Desmond is back to change all. Maybe he should realize his purpose is to facilitate Charlie's purpose? Everyone else has the daddy issues or criminal past which in some way, link them to the island. Notice also, Ben killed his dad, much like Locke was required to do so, and all other losties have daddy issues. Why? Is Jacob the father or brother to someone? Were they kids sent from the island, or part of the islands descendents that will "right" the island?

Obviously there's MORE to the island, Ben and Locke both believe so, and it has demonstrated as much even if one doesn't think too hard. Regenerative properties. Infertility issues. Food. Plants. Animals. Weather (always perfect, aside from rain?)

A-Unit

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lost is one of the few TV shows I'm into too. It's the most unconventional series I've seen since Twin Peaks in that it is open to a lot of questioning and interpretation.

I usually find that whenever I form a theory, it gets ruined with every episode I see. The problem is that while the series is making money, they're going to keep the questions open ended and keep adding more. I'm starting to think now that it'll end up getting axed before we get the answers we've been waiting for (as was Twin Peaks).

Anyway, I enjoy reading the theories. Maybe we'll know more after the season finale this week.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Btw. Michael and his son Walt haven't returned to the island all series. Any theories on what happened to them?

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Jariel said:
Btw. Michael and his son Walt haven't returned to the island all series. Any theories on what happened to them?
I think they will reappear...

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
The brief glimpse of Jacob showed him to be an older black male. I don't know if it's important but the only other characters of color were Walt and Michael.

Perhaps Jacob is the future incarnation of one of those two?

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
I think Walt is very important to the mystery of the island. I wonder if when Ben sent them off if he had someone else capture them and take them to the underwater station. I think Walt and Michael are either still on the island or will show up again like Desmond did.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A-Unit said:
Thoughts/questions:

1. Richard was there before Ben, so who is he?
2. Is the island now viewable on the map b/c of the event caused by Desmond, or is it another dimension?
3. How did the Dharma Initiative come to know about the island?
4. Who was the guy originally pressing the buttons IF he was not an ex member of the Dharma Initiative? (supposedly all killed off?)

A-Unit
1. unsure at this point however everyone talks as if he does not age at all. i think that he has aged, but slowly and that was one of the dharma projects about anti - aging. i believe the children that showed up to the barricks recieved shots in order to help them age and grow accordingly. i also believe that if you are not aging , then it would be hard to have your body go thru a normal pregnancy. the babies are aging, whereas the mother's body isnt preparing for it and that is why they are dying.
2.yes it has to be visible for penny's company in the artic boat to have seen evidence that it exsists and to send naomi to rescue desmond.
3.i believe the island is visible without the shield that bubbles over the island controlled by the looking glass hatch. it blocks all interferrence in and out of the island so they wont be found. i think dharma did that to keep the secrets and experiments secret at the time they were there.
4.there were two original guys pushing the button in the swan hatch for dharma radsinsky and inman.radsinsky painted the map on the blast door and then he edited the orientation tape and then blew his brains out with a gun and his guts were still on the hatch ceiling. then desmond came and kinda took his place. inman went and fixed up desmonds boat and planned to escape on it until desmond followed him out and accidently killed him. inman is also the man that was connected to kates step dad in the military and made syaid torture a man for the first time.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
KarmaSutra said:
The brief glimpse of Jacob showed him to be an older black male. I don't know if it's important but the only other characters of color were Walt and Michael.

Perhaps Jacob is the future incarnation of one of those two?
he looked white to me, and people on the lostpedia are putting pictures of locke up to jacob trying to same they are the same guy. i do not believe they are the same man.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A-Unit said:
Obviously there's MORE to the island, Ben and Locke both believe so, and it has demonstrated as much even if one doesn't think too hard. Regenerative properties. Infertility issues. Food. Plants. Animals. Weather (always perfect, aside from rain?)

A-Unit
these were the things that dharma was researching and doing experiments on the island when they were there :
Mathematical Forecasting Initiative (mfi)
Worldwide Wellness and Prevention Development Program (wwp dp)
Mental Health Appeal (mha)
Electromagnetic Research Initiative (eri)
Institute for Genomic Advancement (iga)
Life Extension Project (lep) zoology,
Educational Outreach Imperative (eoi)
meteorology, psychology, parapsychology, zoology, electromagnetism, and utopian social Engineering

Last edited:

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
penkitten said:
he looked white to me, and people on the lostpedia are putting pictures of locke up to jacob trying to same they are the same guy. i do not believe they are the same man.
I just watched the episode again and it is a white guy. I think he looks a tad like Kristophersons' Whistler in Blade II.

I think that Jacob is able to manifest himself as the black smoke prowling the jungle. Remember, Locke was the first to stare down the black smoke and go away unscathed. That is why Locke has become the chosen one.