Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Kailex's Journal

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kailex said:
Chromeo, as of right now, I'd say that it's:

65% Diet
35% Gym

The reason I say this is because of how I am eating. I'm eating a LOT smarter, 6 times a day NO MATTER WHAT and I'm still losing weight. I was eating OKAY, before I visited this forum but after seeing CarlitoWay! and EFFORT and a few others post a diet regimen, I revisited my eating habits.

The problem for me was wrapping my head around the fact that eating 6 times a day meant eating after 6 PM. I've always been told that after 6 PM is BAD, so most times I'd just starve myself at around 9 PM and eat anyway, and probably not the best of meals.

Now I know how to work my Protein/Carbs/Calories to MY favor. I budget these items and it's set me up for weight loss even if I'm not hitting the gym (which of course, I am).

The gym is important for me because once my stomach starts flattening out, I want to have had the groundwork laid down for when I want to add bulk. I don't want to just lose weight based on eating and then when I hit the gym in a few months to add bulk, I can't even lift 10 pounds.

I made a resolution to Lose Weight in 2010 and Add Muscle in 2011.

My mood/swagger/confidence is OFF THE CHARTS.
Specially after yesterday.

Do I now have to spend hundreds of dollars on new clothes, Yes. It hurts my wallet. But it'll pay off now only in the dating world, but HEALTH-WISE. Do I spend a little more on food this way, Yes. But again, it'll pay off and I know it.

I don't ever feel lethargic anymore.

And the funny thing is that MANY people think I am starving myself to death. There are people who haven't seen me since May when I was over 200 pounds and see me now in August and wonder what the hell I was doing. First question is: "What diet are you on?"

Answer: "Diet?"

Lifestyle changes baby. Look at my first post in this thread and compare it to my last few. In my first post I sound SO LAZY. God I hate Past Kailex. Present Kailex is happy because Future Kailex is going to look AWESOME.
Yeah glad I could be of help. A lot of people fail to realize it's not some fad diet/pill or fad exercise routine you have to do. It's all about eating damn clean most of the time and educating yourself on the real world physiological needs of your body (necessary good fats, getting essential minerals/vitamins, lots of water, enough protein/veggies) and how some people react differently to things like carbs and certain foods (dairy being a big culprit for a lot).

Yet rock on man, I'm in the process of moving from a snug M to filling out L sized shirts. I''m lucky to have an insanely small waist (30-31, 32 is pretty loose on me still:p).

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Congrats on your progress. I'm glad my words helped you along your journey. I look forward to following your future progress and if you ever have any questions just let me know.

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just wanted to update on this. I am currently at 185. I have been "slowing down" my progress but it's because the last weeks of summer have been a little tough on me with all these BBQ's going around. :p

I took it a little "easy" on the gym in the three weeks before last because of my knee. But last week I did phenomenally. This week, I expect more of the same. I'm excited.

I went to a doctor's appointment last week because I wanted to officially monitor my progress and my doctor said to me:

Congratulations, you are no longer obese, you are now overweight.

I was stoked. I'd never thought I'd be happy to hear those words.
So the push for the last 20 pounds is here.

So far my original weight was:

230 lbs.

My current weight:

185 lbs.

I commented a few weeks ago about buying new clothes.
Well, I was with someone when I put on my new size 34 jeans and lo and behold, those are kinda loose on me now as well!!!!!
Jesus Christ.

What I have noticed is an increased contempt towards people who complain about their weight and do nothing about it except eat more. I guess maybe that's why Carlitos had to give me a swift kick in the ass in his first post within this thread and boy did I deserve it!!!

Just the thought of going to a size 32 jean size has me overjoyed. Medium sized shirters are starting to feel looser. The size 15 1/2 collared shirts that were tight on me when I was 190 lbs a month ago, now feel PERFECT.

I'm having the most fun of my life. I'm full of energy. Clothes look GREAT on me now and I am getting a TON of compliments. The satisfaction is both internal and external. I love it. And I can't even begin to say how much it's improved my sex life. I no longer have that fear of "squishing" someone when I'm on top and I last longer. It's great.

I will be welcoming 30 in the best shape of my life!

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
183 lbs and still losing.

A little distressed about certain things but hasn't deterred me from my overall goal.

My goal again: 180 lbs by Oct 16
As of Sept 29: 183 lbs

Time til deadline: 18 Days.

3 lbs in 18 days.

Definitely doable.
I'm excited. I had bought size 34 jeans/pants in Mid-August and I already feel like I should be trying on size 32. It'll happen... very soon.

Gotta keep it going!

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good progress here. How tall are you?

I wouldn't put much stock in the doctor's opinion on whether you're overweight. He's probably using the BMI scale, which was apparently designed for 3rd world peasants. According to BMI, I am only 1.4 points away from being obese, but it doesn't take into account the fact that I actually lift weights. The BMI scale would be more accurate if your 1RM deadlift was one of the inputs.

Just look in the mirror, when you're happy with what you see you're not fat anymore :)

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
How tall are you?

I wouldn't put much stock in the doctor's opinion on whether you're overweight. He's probably using the BMI scale, which was apparently designed for 3rd world peasants. Just look in the mirror, when you're happy with what you see you're not fat anymore :)
I am 5'8.

The doctor jokingly made that statement. He's a nutrionist and dietician as well. He was using the BMI scale when he made the comment but also said that the scale would be wrong for my body type and what I am looking to do with myself.

According to those charts, I should be at 150-155, and there's no way I am going that low. He said he wants to see me at 170 before I got even further. I still have a "gut". But looking at pictures of myself from January and now are a HUGE difference.

I think I'll be looking my best at the 165-170 range. My arms, legs, and chest have a nice shape to them, but at 183 I think I can easily lose about 18 more pounds and look GREAT.

Pimp-sicle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
First off congrats on all your progress, that's impressive and a testament to sticking to the tried and true methods of understanding how food works, the timing of your meals and most importantly that fat from food is NOT bad for you in your quest to lose body fat.

How are you allocating your carbs throughout the day? What does your pre and post workout meal break down look like? Do you have a carb up day once every week or two? Are you tracking how many grams of protein, carbs and fat your eating each day?

These are all things you'll most likely start doing as you get more seasoned in the ins and outs of dieting if your not doing it already. Your making great strides right now and completely transforming your body which is always great to see.

Secondly, not to take anything away from your weight loss, but are you getting your body fat measured? I'm certain you look waaaaay better, but measuring your body fat, using the mirror and measuring your inches are the BEST indicators from my experience in your TRUE progress.

I mention this since you mentioned your on a mission to lose body fat this year and then focus on adding lean muscle mass next year.

Keep up the rad work bro and I'm sure you'll hit your goals.

PIMP

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pimp-sicle said:
First off congrats on all your progress, that's impressive and a testament to sticking to the tried and true methods of understanding how food works, the timing of your meals and most importantly that fat from food is NOT bad for you in your quest to lose body fat.
Thank you.
Although I take credit for my own weight-loss, it's SoSuave forums that got me on the right track. There is such a wealth of information here that I can't believe I ignored for years.

It was like being unplugged from the unhealthy Matrix and realizing that I could be smarter about choices and stop being such a lazy bum. Just look at my first post in this thread. Laziness at it's apex within me.

How are you allocating your carbs throughout the day?
I limit carbs whenever I don't work out.
NO BREAD. Every two mornings or so... english muffin, not-buttered with my eggs and ham.

I've been careful about these.

What does your pre and post workout meal break down look like?
I'd say 90% of the time I'll have something with some carbs in it before workout so I can have energy. I had no clue that Carbs = Energy until I came here. So I get a good workout, go home, and then have a Whey Protein shake if I'm "lazy". If not, grilled chicken breast with french cut green beans (low in sodium).

Do you have a carb up day once every week or two?
I have a "Reward" Day.
I like to call it that. Basically, I treat myself to ONE meal that I know is great but also healthy conscious. If I do have a Carb day, I make sure that I'm doing something that involves at least walking around, which I did a LOT in the summer.

Are you tracking how many grams of protein, carbs and fat your eating each day?
Oh yes! Most definitely.
Weird part is, I used to have to look stuff up on the internet or look at labels everytime I bought anything. Now, I just KNOW. It's weird. But it's almost as if my brain has turned itself off to anything that isn't good for me.

I try to keep a good enough ratio of these three components.
I didn't know fat was actually beneficial for weight loss until I came to this forum either.

These are all things you'll most likely start doing as you get more seasoned in the ins and outs of dieting if your not doing it already. Your making great strides right now and completely transforming your body which is always great to see.

Secondly, not to take anything away from your weight loss, but are you getting your body fat measured? I'm certain you look waaaaay better, but measuring your body fat, using the mirror and measuring your inches are the BEST indicators from my experience in your TRUE progress.
Yes.
I was at a whopping 21% back in January.
I'm not at 15%.

Is it still too much? Of course. But am I getting it down. Hells yes.
I'm working harder than ever to hit my goals and do the tweaks necessary.

I mention this since you mentioned your on a mission to lose body fat this year and then focus on adding lean muscle mass next year.

Keep up the rad work bro and I'm sure you'll hit your goals.
Yep. I wanted to get my weight down first, lose some body fat in the process. Then work solely on getting my body fat to a lower level and then build lean muscle mass.

I already look GOOD, but I know I can look better.
What I didn't expect was this to be "EASY". At first it was tough for me to switch to "Eat 6 times a day" and other things advocated here. But now, everything is so simple. The gym is FUN. It's not tedious and it's a place of zen for me.

Amazing how our mind tries to trick us into believing that putting work in is "work".

Love the gym, love eating well and love buying new clothes.
Great part of this is that I'll be in my best shape at 30... better shape than age 20 and DEFINITELY better than 25.

Again, I thank these forums, it's been INSTRUMENTAL to my progress.
Best kept secret out there.

Pimp-sicle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kailex said:
Thank you.
Although I take credit for my own weight-loss, it's SoSuave forums that got me on the right track. There is such a wealth of information here that I can't believe I ignored for years.

You should take 100% of the credit; yes knowledge is power, the right knowledge that is, BUT how many people do you know that are fat, lazy and out of shape, yet do nothing about it other than to say "damn I need to lose some weight!"

It was like being unplugged from the unhealthy Matrix and realizing that I could be smarter about choices and stop being such a lazy bum. Just look at my first post in this thread. Laziness at it's apex within me.

Haha... yah not gonna argue that, but the motivation is strong and hopefully this will be a lifestyle change for you.

I limit carbs whenever I don't work out.
NO BREAD. Every two mornings or so... english muffin, not-buttered with my eggs and ham.

I don't eat bread either, I get my carbs from sweet potatoes, brown rice pasta and quinoa --- good stuff. I zig zag my carbs throughout the day; moderate carb meal in the morning, small carb meal pre-workout, big carb meal post workout, then dwindle it down to nothing but protein and fat for my last meal.

I'd say 90% of the time I'll have something with some carbs in it before workout so I can have energy. I had no clue that Carbs = Energy until I came here. So I get a good workout, go home, and then have a Whey Protein shake if I'm "lazy". If not, grilled chicken breast with french cut green beans (low in sodium).

You might get some differing opinions on this, but having carbs post workout is fine and IMPORTANT even for you in your weight loss quest. Insulin receptors are at their peak post workout and shoveling in a good dose of both will help begin muscle repair and growth.

Lots of guys preach about sticking to fast digesting carbs post workout (sucrose, dextrose etc), I'm not a fan of those things and firmly believe any type of carb (slow digesting or fast) is fine post workout. I tend to eat anywhere from .35-.5 grams of carbs of my daily total in my post workout meal. This number is always changing based on what I'm working on.

I have a "Reward" Day.
I like to call it that. Basically, I treat myself to ONE meal that I know is great but also healthy conscious. If I do have a Carb day, I make sure that I'm doing something that involves at least walking around, which I did a LOT in the summer.

Good stuff, that's a solid method.

Oh yes! Most definitely.
Weird part is, I used to have to look stuff up on the internet or look at labels everytime I bought anything. Now, I just KNOW. It's weird. But it's almost as if my brain has turned itself off to anything that isn't good for me.

Yeah I remember when I got to that point; you can start to even eye ball stuff and know approx how many ounces your eating and then calculate the carbs in your head... haha

I try to keep a good enough ratio of these three components.
I didn't know fat was actually beneficial for weight loss until I came to this forum either.

Lots of different roads you can take when you start to get stuck at a certain point; keto, zig zag, modified carb days etc.

Yes.
I was at a whopping 21% back in January.
I'm not at 15%.

Nice, that's a good change, you've not only lost weight, but also increased lean muscle mass by a noticeable amount. Too many people who lose weight do it the WRONG way and then just start to look "smaller" rather than leaner with more muscle.

Is it still too much? Of course. But am I getting it down. Hells yes.
I'm working harder than ever to hit my goals and do the tweaks necessary.

What's your target for body fat percentage?

Yep. I wanted to get my weight down first, lose some body fat in the process. Then work solely on getting my body fat to a lower level and then build lean muscle mass.

I already look GOOD, but I know I can look better.
What I didn't expect was this to be "EASY". At first it was tough for me to switch to "Eat 6 times a day" and other things advocated here. But now, everything is so simple. The gym is FUN. It's not tedious and it's a place of zen for me.

Amazing how our mind tries to trick us into believing that putting work in is "work".

Love the gym, love eating well and love buying new clothes.
Great part of this is that I'll be in my best shape at 30... better shape than age 20 and DEFINITELY better than 25.

Again, I thank these forums, it's been INSTRUMENTAL to my progress.
Best kept secret out there.

Good stuff Kaliex, definitely keep us posted and let any of us know what else we can do to help you out when you hit a wall or feel your training is hitting a rut.

Keep it up bro.

PIMP

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Update:

I was stuck on 183.2 so I decided to do something counter-intuitive.
No matter what I did, I was STUCK on that number FOREVER (2 - 3 weeks really).

So... I gained weight. Had a "pig out" weekend and shot back up to 185 last Saturday. I thought I would only get to 184, but OOPS.

Well, seeing that 185 got me back into gear and as of this morning, I am at 182.0

Yay.

Deadline: Oct. 16
Goal: 180

Looks like I might fall short of that goal. I hit the gym this morning and might go back tomorrow but I don't want to overdo it because of 1 pound. I'm sure I can hit 181 by Saturday morning, but overall, I am happy that I am making it that close.

I listed my Nov 16 goal as 170, but that might be a bit harder to make. We'll see. I definitely am going to make a push for it though.

But there's no way I am NOT making it to 165 - 170 range by Dec 31st. I'm determined to start out the new year in the best shape ever.

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Weight myself today, 179.6!!!!
I don't remember the last time I was under 180... maybe, 8 years ago? 9? Not sure.

Wow. After being stuck on 183 for a while, now I'm down under 180.

I missed my goal weight target by just less than a week, so I'm really happy about that.

Now, here's my question. At this point, I notice I still have a bit of love handles and I need to lose some of the abdominal fat. I've been doing a lot of that from the weight loss, but I want to make sure I don't end up with skinny guy/fat belly syndrome.

What can you guys recommend for me in order to reduce that area and strengthen my core?

I'm just excited thinking that by New Year's, I should be at my best weight ever. And the best part is I don't wear a knee brace anymore. My joints feel so much better without all of the added weight. I'm loving it. And just last weekend, I bought some new casual shirts to go out and they were size SMALL. That... was weird... but... AWESOME. I'm almost about to fit into Size 32 jeans as well.

Just want to tighten up my abs a little.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kailex said:
Now, here's my question. At this point, I notice I still have a bit of love handles and I need to lose some of the abdominal fat. I've been doing a lot of that from the weight loss, but I want to make sure I don't end up with skinny guy/fat belly syndrome.

What can you guys recommend for me in order to reduce that area and strengthen my core?

Diet, Lifting and Cardio are the fronts you will need to evolve.

Post up what your currently doing for each

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
At the risk of being ridiculed but with aims to improve:

Diet (Typical Day):

Meal #1: Eggs with Bacon & English Muffin
Meal #2: Snack (Fiber One Bar or Pretzels or something less than 200 Cals)
Meal #3: Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast with Cut Green Beans
Meal #4: Snack
Meal #5: Chicken or some Ground Beef with Salsa
Meal #6: Casein Protein Shake

Cardio: (every 2 days):
20 - 25 Minutes of High level Elliptical (20 minutes + 5 minutes cooldown)

Lifting:
This is where I will be VERY honest, I suck at this, I am trying to combine as best as I can, but my goal was to lose weight, now that most of it is down, I want to get it right.

So as a lifting rookie, I'll clearly declare that I do a lot of the machines like the chest press for about 50 to 70 pounds.
I do light leg machines for maybe 70 to 90.

I usually do 3 sets of 12 reps.

So, I know my lifting is probably where I need the hugest lift.

So, fire away.
I want to get this down right even if I've been "doing it wrong" up until today.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kailex said:
At the risk of being ridiculed but with aims to improve:

Diet (Typical Day):

Meal #1: Eggs with Bacon & English Muffin
Meal #2: Snack (Fiber One Bar or Pretzels or something less than 200 Cals)
Meal #3: Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast with Cut Green Beans
Meal #4: Snack
Meal #5: Chicken or some Ground Beef with Salsa
Meal #6: Casein Protein Shake

Cardio: (every 2 days):
20 - 25 Minutes of High level Elliptical (20 minutes + 5 minutes cooldown)

Lifting:
This is where I will be VERY honest, I suck at this, I am trying to combine as best as I can, but my goal was to lose weight, now that most of it is down, I want to get it right.

So as a lifting rookie, I'll clearly declare that I do a lot of the machines like the chest press for about 50 to 70 pounds.
I do light leg machines for maybe 70 to 90.

I usually do 3 sets of 12 reps.

So, I know my lifting is probably where I need the hugest lift.

So, fire away.
I want to get this down right even if I've been "doing it wrong" up until today.
My general answer here would be to keep doing the cardio your doing, follow the where to start thread for lifting and simple starting diet. Its very generic info but it would be better than what your doing. If you interested in customized plan pm me.

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Update:

I'm now at 175.8.
I think I know now how I want to shape up. I just want a basketball-ready body. Now that I'm 25 pounds lighter than I was last spring, I think I'll be a lot more ready for this spring in order to hoop it up.

I think I'm going to start looking into routine workouts for people like Chris Paul, Deron Williams and other point guards and shape it to something more my style.

So basically, I don't want to bulk up so much, I just want to really get in shape. I really need to get this ab area down. I've switched a few things that I've been eating in order to reduce sugar intake (I will miss you baked beans), but I really, REALLY want to get in shape. I'm hoping to up my gym workouts. It's November, and I hope that by April I will be at a really good shape in order to keep up with the youngsters on the court.

Anymore suggestions are welcome.
I've been really laying some time into The Vault and getting more knowledge out of it.

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey all, I just wanted to update my situation.

I'm yet to upload my two pictures that I promised to show here, but I didn't want to be just another guy who was progressing and then just STOPPED posting... so here it is:

- Currently at 160.8

I'll be honest, winter was KINDA lax for me, with no weight gain and only minor loss but ever since the weather started turning around in the beginning of April, I jetted down to 160.

Tomorrow I am headed to Puerto Rico to visit family. Many, if not most, have not seen me since I was 210 pounds, bald, and wearing a goatee while badly dressed.

I can't wait to see what everyone's reactions are.

BTW, let me add this again: People can be MEAN. Even as I STILL lose weight, people I have worked with for over a year, still try to belittle me because of my weight loss and how much younger I look now. I'm going on 31 and a ton of people thought I didn't look a day over 25. I've had these people offer me junk food to no end. They won't quit. It's funny how easily I can turn them down now.

Thanks So Suave :)

loveshogun

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kailex said:
Hey all, I just wanted to update my situation.

I'm yet to upload my two pictures that I promised to show here, but I didn't want to be just another guy who was progressing and then just STOPPED posting... so here it is:

- Currently at 160.8

I'll be honest, winter was KINDA lax for me, with no weight gain and only minor loss but ever since the weather started turning around in the beginning of April, I jetted down to 160.

Tomorrow I am headed to Puerto Rico to visit family. Many, if not most, have not seen me since I was 210 pounds, bald, and wearing a goatee while badly dressed.

I can't wait to see what everyone's reactions are.

BTW, let me add this again: People can be MEAN. Even as I STILL lose weight, people I have worked with for over a year, still try to belittle me because of my weight loss and how much younger I look now. I'm going on 31 and a ton of people thought I didn't look a day over 25. I've had these people offer me junk food to no end. They won't quit. It's funny how easily I can turn them down now.

Thanks So Suave :)
Glad to hear it, brotha. I myself, when I left college, was 5'10" and 185, but my ratio was something like 20% fat and 80% muscle - not horrible, but considering I used to be a gymnast, I was tired all the time, and I had much lower self esteem than I had when I was in good shape.

Anyway, one day I decided I was tired of it. Took a lot of work, every day, but both you and I know it's worth every second to wake up feeling capable, yeah?

At 175 now, with a fat/muscle split closer to 12/88. Dancing competitively (which gets me tons of women) and training every day. Life is as good as you make it.

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I currently weigh in at 155.
I am very happy to inform that it's ridiculously HARD to buy clothes for myself. I'm a 14 to 14.5 in my neck size. I'm a size 30 in jeans.

Wtf, I didn't know it'd be this hard to find clothes ever.

BUT I LOVE IT.

I've enjoyed playing the living hell out of basketball and I figured, now would be a good time to upload my progression pictures.

I have one from 2007 and one from two months ago. I was at 165 at the time of the recent picture, so I'm even "skinnier".

2007 at 220 lbs: http://i53.tinypic.com/fyfoes.jpg

2011 at 165 lbs: http://i54.tinypic.com/v7d2tt.jpg

I did this, but SoSuave pushed me there every step of the way.

It can be done fellow SoSuavers, and it has CHANGED. MY. LIFE.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Congratulations on your accomplishment! Take all the credit for this transformation. You put in the work, you found the resources, this was all you!

Maintain your results and keep your eyes open for a motivated person thats where you previously were and point them in the right direction for making there own transformation!