Your Ride, your music?

On_the_Top

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello people, kinda new here, I would like to know what type of music you choose when ever you hang out with or date girls?? Myself, I like rap/hiphop, but allot of times the radio gets annoying(specialy with this Dirty south mess) so I allot of times I listen to my old school rap cds with artist, like GrandmasterFlash&the Furious five, classic Biggie smalls, Whodni, Public Enemy, KRS-One, NWA,etc. Now I know allot girls like the just about anything new played on the radio, speacialy in my age group (early college and late highschool) but my rule is "My ride, my music, don't like it, then get the phuck out." Now my guy friends don't push it (in fact most enjoy it), but a few girls like to try and have their way, Any comments on this?

On the flip side, every once in a while I like to listen to smooth R&B or swing type Jazz (not that gay Kenny G sh!t.)

fyzix

Don Juan
Reaction score
I NEVER listen to hip hop. I listen to lots of cutting edge alternative, some trip-hop, acid rock, industrial, things that people usually don't here but won't be offensive. Sigur Ros, Massive Attack, Radiohead, Queens of the Stone Age, Jane's Addiction, Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Orgy. People who listen to hip-hop in my town tend to be classless: hood rats or idiots trying to look like rappers. It's ridiculous really. My choice in music makes me unique. When I'm in my car listening to Massive Attack, chances are, the girl I'm with has never heard of them. This sparks intrigue and sets me away from the crowd.

I also like metal, but I never play it when someone's in my car. I also am careful with NIN and Tool, their older stuff is a little too aggressive. I listen to a much wider variety in privacy.

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
Used to listen to rap/hip-hop all the time. Then it all started to sound the same, so I started listening to alternative rock, mostly. I can put up with either...just don't put any damned country on. :p It bugs me when rednecks complain about how a lot of rap is just hijacking and remixing other songs, cuz I used to listen to a country station when I worked the night-shift at the supermarket (the old guy in charge was into it) and every other song was a cover of some pop song. :rolleyes:

Back when I was in college, we all had a rule that shotgun controlled the radio...but then we all listened to the same kind of music. I'd imagine you should let her listen to what she wants, but you have ultimate veto power over anything she puts on. It's easy for me cuz I have steering-wheel controls. ;)

fyzix

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't let anyone touch my stereo, my car, my music. I'll consider change on request, but that's as far as it goes.

PEACEDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I mostly listen to songs which can be rap, R&B, rock, ballad.. whatever, just as long the meaning of the song is good, none of the I love you girl crap. Club songs work good.

Wysiwyg

Don Juan
Reaction score
I love alternative rock and grunge: Pearl Jam, Stone Roses, Dandy Warhols and other stuff. I like jazz too, the ones made by Miles Davis and Chet Baker. When with a girl i try to avoid some heavy musics, but i never stop listen what i'm used to. What to listen? It depends on the vibe at the moment.

Mr. Latte

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Raaadiohead:D I'm also HUGE into Portishead (it has a very "unique" flavor...most girls have never heard anything like it)...and The Smashing Pumpkins (not the hard stuff, but the piano and harp stuff) is AMAZING. And you can never go wrong with Miles Davis or John Coltrane.

lynx

Don Juan
Reaction score
I know this sounds strange, but a friend of mine plays classical music. This is very relaxing, especially in traffic jams. He plays it because it's the music that makes him less tense.

Mr. Latte

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I love classical music. But I'm more into jazz (REAL jazz, like Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, John Contrane, & Billie Holiday, not this new age acid jazz)

Rubbers

Don Juan
Reaction score
rap

I usually bump hip hop but there's no tellin what you'll hear in my car. My cd changer had everything from Jay-z to marilyn manson

Wysiwyg

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr. Latte
Raaadiohead:D I'm also HUGE into Portishead (it has a very "unique" flavor...most girls have never heard anything like it)...and The Smashing Pumpkins (not the hard stuff, but the piano and harp stuff) is AMAZING. And you can never go wrong with Miles Davis or John Coltrane.
Yeah, Portishead rules! Go for Hooverphonic and Lamb too, they're very good. And i think i don't need to mention Massive Attack. :D

bugsquish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A lot of good suggestions here. What about a slice of breaks? Crystal Method, Propellerheads, Lunatic Calm, Hive, etc. All upbeat and pretty cutting edge.

iqqi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if you only play what you want to listen to, and the girl hates it, and you are insensitive to her feelings, common sense will tell you she won't enjoy riding with you, or perhaps even your company. if i were a dude with a lady in my ride, i'd play r&b rather than the regurgitated rap shiat on the radio now.

and look into expanding your horizons. if you are into tight beats, i'd start off by checking out Nine inch nails "closer", and smashing pumpkins "eye". download them! and check out the vines version of "ms jackson". my thugged out lil bro made me bump it, thinking it was pharrell, hahahha!

it must be night for these next two to even be allowed on your radio:

on the more mature r&b tip, check out gary taylor. buy his album, love dance. that shiat is tiiiight.

never hesitate to play some sade either.

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
When i have a lady in the ride i put on Do or Die's "Headz or Tailz" Cd. That has some smooooooth flow. I guarantee that the chick will like it.

On_the_Top

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah the majiorty of most rap songs on the radio today are crapm they are just remakes of older R&B or rap songs. Hetch allot of the newer artist are doing remakes of popular songs from just under 3 yrs ago, thats why freestyling has become so popular again. Then you got allot of these rappers comming from the south just butchering the standard english and slang english language.(Happen to love NY or LA rappers btw) As far as rock, I can't really get into that metal stuff, but I like listening to a good electric guitar solo, or posibly classic Jimie Hendrix, but mostly that stuff isn't me.

Oh to the comment about not be in touch with a woman feelings, I don't care if she doesn't enjoy riding with me (thats the beauti of a car, I can drive to find somone else) now unless she is horribly offened, such as culture and or religion wise, then what I play is what she is going to listen to, or feel free to walk.