Wtf? Face muscle tension? - Weird problem help!

OnTheEdge

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a weird problem thats very annoying! When I smile I feel a weird muscle tension in my cheek area when smiling and if I try to hold a smile for more than a few seconds my muscles by the cheek/smile/slip area will start to twitch! What could be the problem and how can I resolve this? ANYONE EVER HAD THIS? It's sooooo annoying.

grr

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The obvious answer would be to smile more.

Has it always happened?

OnTheEdge

Don Juan
Reaction score
no, well i've noticed it happening when i push my comfort zone alot but it usually doesnt last this long... ive noticed it for a week now. In the past it might just be while im in that situation where my comfort zone is pushed

MuayThai

Banned
Reaction score
I sometimes get muscle twiches (like the ones you describe) in my arms, back and legs when the bones are growing. It might be the same thign with our face.

Do you look any different, even only slightly? And how old are you?

reyalp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My face twitches when I'm stressed.....also my quads, calves, tris seem to twitch a lot when I'm stressed.

Ghengis Kahn

Don Juan
Reaction score
OnTheEdge said:
I have a weird problem thats very annoying! When I smile I feel a weird muscle tension in my cheek area when smiling and if I try to hold a smile for more than a few seconds my muscles by the cheek/smile/slip area will start to twitch! What could be the problem and how can I resolve this? ANYONE EVER HAD THIS? It's sooooo annoying.
It's probably only temporary. When I'm utra-stressed, certain muscles under my eye start twitching. It will happen randomly throughout the day and it usually lasts a few weeks. It will pass quicker if you don't obsess too much about it. Just accept it and it will pass.

Wanderer*

Don Juan
Reaction score
These muscle twitches are caused by a deficiency in magnesium. i used to get muscle twitches, especially in the area directly under the eye, so i bought a magnesium supplment, and never got any more twitches ever again :up:

grr

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Multivitamins are crucial for mood control unless you can afford the time and money to eat the best.

OnTheEdge

Don Juan
Reaction score
wow, comforting to hear the positive feed back, im glad to know i wont be stuck with this forever. I started reading online and doing the dreaded self diagnosis... it led me to something called hemifacial spasm which requires botox shots and surgery to fix, god i was worried. Also, as others mentioned, the websites I searched mentioned that it usually starts by the eyes but for some reason mine is by the cheek. I will also go get a magnesium supplement. Does it need to be taken daily and forever? Where do I get it and is there a certain name for the product?

I'm pretty sure that the twitch I get is caused by the extremely high pressure situation I was in because I just got incredibly nervous and self conscious, but the thing that worried me is that its been a full week since it happened and im noticing the twitches every day. I hope it does pass in another week or so like others mentioned.

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OnTheEdge said:
I will also go get a magnesium supplement. Does it need to be taken daily and forever? Where do I get it and is there a certain name for the product?
You could get NOW Magnesium Citrate or Magnesium Malate pretty cheaply from bodybuilding.com . It's usually 2 tablets daily.