Would you remain a Nice Guy if...

Would you remain a Nice Guy if it got you the women you desired?

• Yes

Votes: 74 64.9%
  • No

Votes: 40 35.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DjDreamer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My question is unanswered...

Originally posted by Dreamer: To those who shun showing niceness for fear of not being succesful with women, please describe the difference between a nice guy and a gentleman?
More questions...

If the jerk doesn't get laid and is frustrated wiith not receiving respect, isn't he an AFC?

If woman#1 dislikes being disrespected and woman#2 tolerates disrespect, which woman do you think has the better character? Do you adore an AFC/b1tchy woman or an 'extremely' nice woman?

Reaction score
I have no substance and will do anything to get laid. It sounds sad but at least I am honest with myself. If being a nice guy will get me tons of sex with super hot ladies, then I would start my own flower garden so I could give bouquets along with chocolates and sappy poetry on the first date.

Good thing I live in this reality and my assh*le charm seems to work wonders for me ;)

Jackal

Don Juan
Reaction score
The Big Picture: The reality of "Nice Guys" and altruism

Pook, you need to give a clear definition of exactly what a "nice guy" is. It is a very ambiguous term and can lead to many obstacles when attempting to have a quality discussion. Further, definitions for what constitutes as a "nice guy" varies between individuals.

Now what that being said, I honestly do not believe there is, nor has, ever been such a person who genuinely could be called a "nice guy." Please bear with me as I try to elucidate on this.

To me, describing someone as a "nice guy" presupposes that the notion of altruism truly exists -- and this I have a serious problem with. Does such a thing as an innate human goodness truly exist? When people do charitable acts, is it truly a display of no-strings-attached genuine altruism? Surely these do-gooders must gain *something* in return. Just because they are not rewarded in any material sense (i.e., money), does not mean they do not recieve anything for their supposedly genuine acts of kindness or bravery. And if they do recieve something positive in return for a good deed, how can we be sure that what motivated the person to do "good" was to simply do what was "right", and that it was not in any way affected/tainted by whatever positive benefits they'd recieve in return?

Though a bit off-topic, but to illustrate a point, consider a rather cliched scenario of a man rushing off into a burning home to rescue a baby trapped inside. He comes out alive having rescued the baby. The crowd cheers, and in return he recieves something positively different (perhaps admiration, publicity, fame, a token of appreciation, etc.) than what he'd normally be used to in his everyday humdrum life.

Or, the rewards for "good" behavior doesn't even have to be materialistic. For example, for those who've watched the movie The Reindeer Games, recall how in the end, Ben Affleck's character gives away and puts all of the stolen money into everyones' mailboxes for Christmas. Those people do not know who is responsible for their gift, but this does not exclude the fact that Affleck's character recieves something in return for his act. (I know, I know...this is a movie and it's entirely fictional. But to point out to slow readers, I'm speaking from a point as if those events actually occured.) He may not be rewarded in a materialistic sense, but no doubt he'd recieve emotional satisfaction for his actions.

Because the very definition of alturism means a "selfless regard for the well-being of others", it cannot truly exist in this world. Just like how chastity is not a natural state in a woman's innate nature (i.e., there is no genuinely chaste woman), alturism does not exist except only within our own mind. Alturism cannot exist because for every action there is a reaction, and with every supposed act of charity or good deed, the person recieves something positive -- whether in materialistic form or emotional form -- and *because* that person recieves something back for their actions, it is not selfLESS.

Now, to finally get back on topic to "Nice Guys" in the mating world and how this also applies to the topic of altruism, consider the example of a desparate guy who's managed to get a phone number from an HB. He'd probably call her every single day, and chat away the hours, basically allowing himself to be used as an emotional tampon. Upon every interaction with her, he makes certain to say something that'd be considered "thoughtful" or "caring", and he does everything which makes him seem as a kind and giving person. One day, the HB is sitting at home, bored out of her mind because all her girlfriends happen to be at work that night. But don't worry because she has a backup plan...and bingo! *the phone rings* She picks it up...and surprise, surprise, it's the so-called "nice guy." She hints that she is bored and has nothing to do, the guy suggests maybe they should head out and do something. So for the rest of the night, she uses him for free food, free ride, and free entertainment. All along, the poor sap thinks he's making progress.

Now, with that scenario out of the way, let me ask you: Is this guy in question truly a "nice" guy? Was he doing all of that (making a show of being caring, thoughtful, giving free food, ride, etc.) simply out of being nice and he never had selfish motivations? If you'd allow yourself to be honest, then you know the answer is a definite "no". So now, how can we label him a "nice guy" when such a label would imply altruism (which I've just discussed)? Labeling him an AFC would be more accurate, I should think.

Nice guys don't exist, and correlated to this, altruism does not exist.

Moving on to the next question: How is it that "nice guy" behaviors generally get a positive response in interactions with people in everyday matters, but fail miserably in matters of attracting women? No doubt, the generalized rule of the thumb in everyday interaction is that in order to be respected, you must make a show of respecting others, and being considerate and giving, is for the most part, warmly recieved in business matters and everyday casual interactions.

All of this works for the most part because order and feelings of security and safety are deeply rooted and sustained by acts of giving and reciprocation. People do not give nor go out of their way in appearing to be considerate and thoughtful because of some romanticized notion of altruism. We give in order to recieve; and whether what we recieve be of material nature or emotional does not matter, but what matters is that ultimately by giving, we help establish a sense of security and order in our lives. To further explain, we give and by doing so we indirectly put the reciever in a state of unspoken indenture to return the same sort of "kindness." Through this act of giving of ourselves or material goods, we are somewhat assured that we will not be hurt/harmed in any form, but rather most likely we'll recieve the same positive sort of treatment back.

This "positve sort of treatment" is just what we naturally crave/need because life is unpredictable and the world is often chaotic, hence by giving we recieve some psychological comfort in likely hope that we'd also benefit from the reciever. This is how human lives are largely ordered. Of course, there always will be individuals who do not care for such rituals of "giving and reciprocation", so to protect our best interest as a group from such people, there are laws.

Finally, to get back to one of the main issue: Then how is it that such rituals of giving and reciprocation does not also work in attracting women? The fact is, this principle of reciprocation may work in everyday matters, but is ineffective when applied to sexual matters and attracting women. Because the supposed "nice guys" does not know this, they believe that by being giving and seeming to be considerate and thoughtful, it'll also work in attracting the women they desire. And why not? It normally works in everyday interactions with people.

When it comes to sexuality, it is an entirely different ballgame. Humans are not a tabula rasha (a clean blank slate at birth); society does not program/mold us into whatever it wishes. There is an INNATE set of instinctual characteristics in our nature that artificial constructs of society can never touch nor change. Basically, there is an innate common set of traits each gender desires in the opposite sex. And these traits are what triggers attraction, and unfortunately for the so-called "nice guys" giving themselves away and kissing ass is not what triggers that button -- though unknown to them. No, instead, they come across as desperate-needy-losers.

To sum up some thoughts, there is no altruism, and there is no such thing as an unconditional love -- they are romanticized notions existing only within our mind. I've read somewhere (perhaps on this board) that we do not fall in love with someone, but we fall in love with what we can get, or *imagine* we would get. Likewise, there has never been a genuine nice guy, only that he was simply ignorant of what attracts women.

Pook, if you've read everything up to this point, I hope you have an idea of why I do not like this simple yes or no question, and further, why I think such a question is a bit misguided to begin with.

Now, for me personally, a better question would be: Knowing women for what they are and are not, if given an opportunity to somehow erase all I know and go back to ignorance as in my AFC days, would I do it? Knowing what I know, I can never romanticize them as I was once so prone to. I can never have one-itis again, and looking back, honestly, I miss that at times.

P.S. Even if in a fictional world, women were instinctually attracted to a "nice" guy, I'd be whatever I am. And further, as long as a woman's nature remain the same as it is in reality, they would not motivate me -- as they once did -- to go out of my way in some attempt to please their fickle emotions. Sex is cheap and common, and it is no longer an ethereal experience it once was.

P.P.S. Edited for clarity...hopefully.

DjDreamer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Helter Skelter: People love being treated nicely and with respect.

Being nice=being rich

You can't argue with success
True...

Nice rich guys try to treat everyone well, nicer rich guys zealously attempt to persuade their companions to be more caring and the nicest rich guys donate huge sums of money to the needy.

A blend of jerkyness and niceness ignites a woman's lust... When jerkyness is the dominant factor, it's a problem for society, it's sadism. When niceness is the dominant factor, it's a problem for logical thinkers, it's an act of altruism/being extremely high.

Moderation of character is a tight rope. When you lean to the left or lean to the right, it's a problem.

Blaaaaat

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If being a nice guy would make me happy I would.
If being a nice guy would make me unhappy I wouldn't.
If being a nice guy would get me where I want to be, I would.

All what matters is that my goal is "happiness" (trying to get the things out of life I WANT out of life, this includes love, but it includes more the that alone) and I will ride whatever road I must take to achieve this.

The question is, what do you want out of life.

High Voltage

Don Juan
Reaction score
I must say I never expected to see so many 'yes' answers in this poll, and certainly not the majority! At the time of this post, 65 % of posters answered 'yes'.

Ironically, being a DJ has nothing to do with women - this has been said many times. Becoming a DJ is a personality shift where one becomes a better person. Your success with women does not alter your value or how good of a person you are.

In my hardcore AFC days I would have answered 'yes' to this question... I would have done anything to get girls. Now there is no hesitation... NO! But why?

Self-respect. I like who I am becoming and I couldn't imagine myself any other way. Am I successful with women? No not really. But the DJ mindset has made women inconsequential. I have not 'accepted' the fact that I don't get lots of girls, it is just not a priority anymore. This is a very strange thing for me to say since at one time getting a girl consumed my universe.

There is so much more to life than girls.

- HV

MoAF

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by dietzcoi
The question is flawed - fantasy worlds do not exist.

I think he is trying to find out how many of you would vote yes to find out how many of us are still deep down AFC.

Those who voted YES - bad news, you are still AFC deep down.

Not a single one of us should have taken his bait and voted YES.

Disgraceful.

Dietzcoi
No, I'm sorry, your wrong. If being a Pirate/Lumberjack/Sexy Jerk Didn't get women, and you all just wanted to 'be yourselves' and not try and improve your effeminate side, you would be the losers who need to take a moment and look @ [fantasy] reality.

Oh and, just for good measure... this IS a stupid thread.

And there is little more to life than girls... reproduction is mandatory, having a cool car/ultimate happyness is not. Those are things you round your life with, but if everyone just said "to hell with women, I'm going to be a lumberjack [in this fantasy reality]" then it wouldn't be too spectacular for our species, would it?

DjDreamer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What good is reproduction if in the next 1000 years the earth gets annihilated by an asteroid? What good is reproduction when the opposite of the "big bang" is the "big crunch"?

If a guy wishes to spend the rest of his life as a lumberjack then so be it, that leaves 1 more woman available for a DJ to have fun with...

HuuBinh

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
In this scientific world where being nice will get women. It implies the concept of being the nice guy as ideal relative to being a dj. Instead of working hard in reality to portray the djs characteristics in order to improve one's life. This person must work as hard in this unrealistic world to portray the nice guys mindset. (It may not be as easy as we think now bc us djs mostly focus on the dj mindset and way of life, but not much into the nice guys philosophy).

In this alternate world, what really improves every aspects of his life is being nice. In contrast to being a dj in reality. Therefore, if being nice is what drives a person toward success in every path, then one must adapt.

I believe that most of us in here, if we were to live in this fantasy world, our current dj mindset will be altered bc we will no longer believe and feel that being a dj can realli improve and bring us toward happiness, but only misery. Thus a DJ would become an AFC in this fictitious world.

LionFox

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by dietzcoi
The question is flawed - fantasy worlds do not exist.

I think he is trying to find out how many of you would vote yes to find out how many of us are still deep down AFC.

Those who voted YES - bad news, you are still AFC deep down.

Not a single one of us should have taken his bait and voted YES.

Disgraceful.

Dietzcoi
Yeah man.. Kind of suprising.

StockTrader

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think you can still be nice and get women. The key however is how nice are you??

Are you constantly agreeing with her? Constantly showering her with attention, calling all the time, offering to do "nice things" that you go out of your way for when its still real early in a relationship? Do you ever let your true feelings come out?

Being nice is vastly overrated IMO as a turn off for women. Being nice to the point of showing no backbone turns them off. Being nice to hide your underlying low self esteem is a turn off. There is nothing wrong with people being nice and charming. Nice + being confident will get you farther than being nice with no confidence.

Helter Skelter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pook

Is this a trick question?

Some have speculated so. How about a follow up regarding our opinions. What were you trying to learn from us?

legolas

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pook
Be honest.

Let us say, in a strange alternate world, women would LOVE you if you were a Nice Guy. In this world, you could do all the things you wanted to do. You could be sappy. You could write her poetry and SHE WOULD LOVE IT. The more of a Nice Guy you were, the more women in general would love you.

And in this alternate world, the jerks and players would be the ones SNEERED at by the women. If you were a jerk in this world, no women would like you. If you were ****y, they would dismiss you immediately.

Would you remain a Nice Guy if you were in this alternate world?
Pook,

Very interesting philosphical question you pose.

Let me make a few assumptions here. First of all, the definitions of "jerk" and "nice guy" are taken from this world, so we all know what they mean. Second, there are no hidden assumptions that if you were a jerk she would love it but act like she hated it. Let us suppose that she would LOVE it for real if you were a nice guy and not think she loves it but really not like so much. So in a few words this ALTERNATIVE world is not OUR world in disguise.

Also let's assume that women in this world would act pretty much the same as in our world except for this little quirk.

Given these preliminary assumptions, I think I would try to be someone in between "nice" and "jerk" for the only reason that I would not want to nice JUST so that I would have all the girls jumping my weiner. I mean, a guy has to draw the line somewhere and have a backbone and his own thoughts and convictions. This is based solely on what the definition of a nice guy means to us in this world.

This means that if you really loved the girl, you'd be nice to her anyway whether she loves back or not, but given that she does, that's an added bonus. Of course there'd be the ones who would fake being nice just so they could get the girl and then turn to the real jerks they are once she's in the sack. If you're not nice by nature then you'd act nice, and that's not the answer.

If I was a jerk by nature, and all the women sneered me, so I wouldn't be getting any, and the DJ forum told me that to get some I'd have to be nice, then I would definitely try and do nice things for her and stuff so I could get her, but I'd be burned later. So in the end I'd end up somewhere more closer to the "nice" in the nice-jerk continuum, but not in the extreme, given that extremes do exist.

If I was nice by nature, I wouldn't have to learn anything I'd just be myself BUT after a while I know she would probably get bored UNLESS my nice things were different and interesting each time around. That is if I kept the elemnt of surprise still in the game.

In the end I have a suggestion Pook. Next time you pose a philosophical question like this one, pleas define the assumptions first so I wouldn't have to define my own.

crackhead

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Quick
I learned a lot from coming to this site, and I was able to choose the tips that would help me the most. None of those tips include changing my fundamental nature. I'm just no longer a pushover, i don't give girls credit they haven't earned, and I know what behaviors cause a loss of interest.

On point

crowes22

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I haven't read all the replies to this thread, so maybe this has been said, but it has very little to do w/ nice.

I know what Pook is saying about being a wussy boy 'nice guy', telling your feelings to her and all the gay shyt that accompanies that type of behavior, but little of that matters until you get to the core of the problem.

I know Pook agrees cause he has written on it, but my nice guy problems were all due to being afraid my own sexuality would scare/offend her- That's it-nothing else--that IS the 'nice guy' problem.

You can get away w/ all the other 'mistakes' and be succesful once the idiot nice guy grows some balls or becomes enlightened and isn't 'afraid' to be sexual.

As Pook would say, (and I agree), nature will take care of the rest, this world or that--doesn't matter.

I wouldn't be either 'nice' nor 'jerky', I'd personally be sexual, something that eluded me for quite some time.

aBAzLLnA

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
im gonna have to give this a huge HELL NO.

being a man means that you are supposed to dominate. why else do you think God gave men the ****s?

i wouldnt give a damn if woman would like me if i became a 'nice guy' cuz really, being a 'nice guy' is disrespecting your own sex!

~ivan

Bungo Pony

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No. I'd be screwing myself from having true happiness. I was a Nice Guy when I landed my Ex-fiance. I only got nicer and turned into a nice doormat. I put my own finances in jeopardy just to keep her happy. I gave that girl anything she wanted, and I got treated like 5hit in return.

I'd rather have the choice of a few rare women and my hand rather than create my own unhappiness. I'd rather fvck my hand rather than fvck a woman who only loves me for my slavery. Now that I've experienced the other side of things, I would never place my happiness in someone else's hands. True happiness and contentment are much more important than women.

Imbrondir

Don Juan
Reaction score
Not just in a fantasy world. I'd be a nice guy in this world too, if I had gotten 'the girl'. Forever, without further questioning. Now on the other hand, after getting a taste from the other side... uh, is porn still available in your fantasy world?

Btw, I think this world would be really different from ours. I think women would be the rulers, and sit on all the administrating positions. Everybody would probobly be more concerned about helping others than themselves. More like a communistic way of living if you want. Economy and inventions would be much weaker. Now there's a reason why nature chose the stronger male as the 'reproducer'.

laydee1

Don Juan
Reaction score
There's hope for us nice girls then!!! ;)

Traditionally I have been out with "older" guys who treat me with respect and when I became incredibly attracted to a younger guy, I just could not work out what all these weird games were about!

Then I found out about DJing...and from this site, some guys have really got the idea about being confident and all that - and some just haven't and think it involves being a bastard to a girl just because of the sh!t he's been through and no matter how nice she is to you.

I'm not up for playing games with a guy - I'm not going to put him through sh!t tests - I just want him to be himself and if that's a nice guy, that's fine.

He won't BE an AFC just because he's nice....and if he was, I wouldn't see it anyway.

bp1974

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not up for playing games with a guy - I'm not going to put him through sh!t tests - I just want him to be himself and if that's a nice guy, that's fine.

He won't BE an AFC just because he's nice....and if he was, I wouldn't see it anyway.
That's nice, but there's a particular type of 'Nice Guy' that we generally mean when we talk about nice guys here.
You would see it, because whenever you said "What shall we do tonight?", his answer would be "I don't mind..". Whenever you said "Shall we eat Chinese or Indian?" he'd say "Whatever you want, I like both". Etc, etc. He thinks conflict is scary so he'll always agree with you. Whatever you like, he likes too. He voices no opinions of his own in case you disapprove, and he always wants to do things for you no matter how much trouble.

This is what we mean by Nice Guy, and one of the purposes of this place is to help de-program this kind of guy.

bp1974