"So, What Do You Do for Fun?"

She asks it casually, mid-sip. And you feel the floor open up, because the honest answer is work, gym, and a couple shows you're half-watching.

Women rarely say this out loud, but a man with a life is attractive before he says a word. The guy who spent Saturday deep-sea fishing and came back with photos and a story — he walks in already interesting.

The "22 Rules" pushed me to build a life worth talking about. Turns out the fastest way to be interesting to women is to be interested in your own life first.

Read more...

Would you date someone with an eating disorder (ED)?

Seán Kelly

New Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2019
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Age
39
Recently I had a relationship end after quite some time, the girl pressed me for commitment and I said I could only do that if she recovered from her ED 99%+. She said this was fair, but decided she wanted to start dating other people.

Thing is, I really loved this girl, and it was quite difficult to do this, the thought of her with other guys still makes my stomach turn, but at the same time I'd love if she could find someone who could make her laugh and smile, sorry it couldn't be me.

I've heard that EDs double the risk of divorce/breakup in the future, which sounds accurate to me (I'd even say it's an under exaggeration), but does anyone here feel differently? Would you stay with a girl who has an ED? Or is it always a deal breaker? If she committed to a full time recovery program would that be enough for you?

For me now, I think an ED is always a deal breaker, I'm starting to think that no one ever really recovers 100% from that (like being an alcoholic), you can never forget the reasons that drove you to an ED in the first place, and it's always an option to deal with stress in the future, even if you're "recovered" I think...

Guess I'm just hoping to connect with guys with similar experiences, and get opinions to the contrary in particular, but any contribution is welcome.
 

"I'm Not Looking for Anything Serious Right Now"

When a woman says it, guys hear a confession. A heads-up. A scheduling conflict.

Here's the translation: I don't feel anything. Right now. With you.

Watch what happens when a man triggers actual attraction. The busy career, the recent breakup, the "not in a place to date" — all of it evaporates instantly. The same woman who was guarding her freedom is suddenly free every night.

The "22 Rules" explain why. When the right switches flip, her timeline rearranges itself around you.

Read more...

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jan 10, 2008
Messages
5,752
Reaction score
4,813
Location
象外
Disorders (so long as they are valid) are very hard to get over, even with drugs and therapy.

Did you know about the disorder when you started dating her?

Kind of thing you want to DQ early on.

Eating, drugs, booze, debt, excessive (or any) tats, etc.
 

Serenity

Moderator
Joined
Aug 19, 2013
Messages
5,150
Reaction score
5,056
Age
35
Location
Eye of the storm
I've heard that EDs double the risk of divorce/breakup in the future, which sounds accurate to me (I'd even say it's an under exaggeration), but does anyone here feel differently? Would you stay with a girl who has an ED? Or is it always a deal breaker? If she committed to a full time recovery program would that be enough for you?
I would probably try digging down to the underlying cause of it and see how messed up it. If I encountered a ton of resistance I'd just back out of the relationship. Eating disorders are typically symptoms of some psychological trauma. If she was already in recovery and have made a good amount of progress I'd consider it, but take it very slowly.

For me now, I think an ED is always a deal breaker, I'm starting to think that no one ever really recovers 100% from that (like being an alcoholic), you can never forget the reasons that drove you to an ED in the first place, and it's always an option to deal with stress in the future, even if you're "recovered" I think...
It's not comparable to alcoholism. It's probably easier to recover from an eating disorder than alcoholism, because alcohol actually feels good while starvation or puking does not feel as good.

The point is never to forget the cause of something like this. It is to stop suppressing it and staving off the difficult feelings with unhealthy behavior. If the past is acknowledged and accepted as is, then that's more of a sign of healthy psychological functioning. What I'm saying is that they're not truly recovered until they reach a level where their past doesn't affect their behavior. Resisting the symptoms of an eating disorder for whatever amount of time doesn't solve the problem, that isn't recovery although it would seem that way to many. It's when the cause is dealt with that there's no risk later that they'll use this as a coping mechanism.

Anyways, best to stay away unless they're in the very late stages of recovery and you can tell that they've solved the cause and not just their symptoms. If you're unsure if she's safe then you're not unsure, she's unsafe.
 

051AV

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jul 5, 2015
Messages
503
Reaction score
312
Nope it’s not worth the hassle she will have self esteem issues to go along with it.
 

"She Made Her Decision Before You Finished Your Sentence"

Three seconds. That's how long it took. Your shoes. Your posture. The way you held your drink. Whether you looked at the floor or looked at her.

She already filed you away. Interesting. Boring. Safe. Bold. Before you even opened your mouth.

Everything you say after that is just her confirming what she already decided.

So stop rehearsing lines. Fix the first three seconds. Stand tall. Look up. Smile like you mean it. Walk like you belong wherever you're standing.

The words come later. The impression comes first.

Read more...

Alvafe

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jun 26, 2012
Messages
3,361
Reaction score
1,594
Age
42
Recently I had a relationship end after quite some time, the girl pressed me for commitment and I said I could only do that if she recovered from her ED 99%+. She said this was fair, but decided she wanted to start dating other people.

Thing is, I really loved this girl, and it was quite difficult to do this, the thought of her with other guys still makes my stomach turn, but at the same time I'd love if she could find someone who could make her laugh and smile, sorry it couldn't be me.

I've heard that EDs double the risk of divorce/breakup in the future, which sounds accurate to me (I'd even say it's an under exaggeration), but does anyone here feel differently? Would you stay with a girl who has an ED? Or is it always a deal breaker? If she committed to a full time recovery program would that be enough for you?

For me now, I think an ED is always a deal breaker, I'm starting to think that no one ever really recovers 100% from that (like being an alcoholic), you can never forget the reasons that drove you to an ED in the first place, and it's always an option to deal with stress in the future, even if you're "recovered" I think...

Guess I'm just hoping to connect with guys with similar experiences, and get opinions to the contrary in particular, but any contribution is welcome.
if you have to ask,then no, I don't have patience to deal with people anymore so the less hassle she can bring the better, also note the moment you said that she said she wanted to date other people, so she didn't liked you that much just need a sucher to deal with her, bullet dodge,

also with the whole" I hoped she find someone else who loved her and all" that really irked me.


@Grewd btw I wouldn't say alcohool would make you feelgood, they hit your brain with most of the time make you numb, its not it feel good its literally works as something to make the pain go away, with then tend to bring other kind of pain later
 

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Joined
Apr 29, 2019
Messages
2,236
Reaction score
2,822
Age
48
Eating disorders are indications of deep psychological problems and insecurities that a person has allowed to go unadddressed to the point they're sick. I've known people with them who will lie compulsively to everyone in order to continue with their disorder instead of facing the fact that they have a problem, even when they pass out for hours due to hunger and no one can raise them from it. The lack of food is worrying enough, but the compulsive lying is the real red flag here.

I would agree that you need to stay away from people like as a matter of principle, although a lot of these people keep their disorders secret so you're not likely to know about it right away unless they're anorexic to begin with. Or... fat AF on the other extreme, but that one is impossible to hide.
 

Serenity

Moderator
Joined
Aug 19, 2013
Messages
5,150
Reaction score
5,056
Age
35
Location
Eye of the storm
btw I wouldn't say alcohool would make you feelgood, they hit your brain with most of the time make you numb, its not it feel good its literally works as something to make the pain go away, with then tend to bring other kind of pain later
Yeah, you're correct. Point is that it's not comparable to eating disorders other than probably having an underlying psychological cause.
 
Top