Workout log

Damocles

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been lurking here for a while, and I might eventually start posting in the other forums... but, for now, this is where I'll post.

Here's Friday's workout...

Warmup: 400m jog, some dynamic stretching
Cardio: 5 miles, at about an 8 minute/mile pace, around a track.
Weights: 3 sets of one legged straight legged deadlifts, at 8 lbs each.
OH YEAH, BABY! BIG WEIGHTS!
1x12x135 BB deadlift
1x10x210 BB deadlift
1x8x210 BB deadlift... I had no collars on the bar, so I switched to dumbbells
1x10x60 DB deadlift... with one dumbbell... one handed. It was different.
... and a small assload of ab work. I don't know what I did.

The track was kind of interesting... some girl I've seen around came up to me, struck up a conversation. She knew my name somehow. We chatted for a minute, then I left to go talk to an aquaintance.

Damocles

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm 5'10" or so, 160ish...

My ultimate goals are to run a 4 minute mile, or a 9 minute 3k, pr a 15 minute 5k... by September of this year if I can, or maybe next year. Or not at all. Those are nearly world-class times, and I'm a pretty realistic guy. :D

My immediate goals are to run a sub-20 minute 5k, and a sub-40 10k... by September. These are the ones that I'll be able to hit.

Damocles

Don Juan
Reaction score
Feb 04 08

Warmup: uhh... I skipped the warmup today...

Run: Slightly over 5 miles at a pace slightly faster than 8 minutes per mile, around the oval. Followed by 3x20meters each of skipping A's, skipping B's, and heel kicks, then 3x60m strides.

Lifts:
3x10 one handed seated cable row, (25lbs, 30lbs, 30 lbs)
3x10 one handed cable push, (25, 25, 25) (It's done with one of those adjustable pulley machines, with the pulley at about chest height. Think 'punching')
3x10 DB rows (50, 50, 50) (The last set was actually 8 reps)
3x12 DB bench press (45, 45, 45)
3x10 one handed standing cable pull (25, 35, 35) (like the cable push, but a pull instead)
Pushups, with my feet on a swiss ball (17, 10, 7)

Cooldown: walking home.

I'm going to do some stretching tonight after class, and a little ab work.

EDIT: I'm in a 5k on March 2, which means I have about 28 days 'til race day.

Damocles

Don Juan
Reaction score
Feb 05 08

Warmup: About a mile long jog, some dynamic stretching, Toe walks, Heel walks, 3x60m strides

Running: I did some speedwork today, for the first time in a few months. I went a little too fast... next time, I'll go for 3:15 800's. And, next time, I won't run the first 200 in around 30 seconds.

2 sets of 3x600m tempo runs, averaging about 2:10 per 600.
90 to 120 seconds rest between runs, 5 minutes between sets.

Weights: Knee dominant leg lifts
3x10 Smith Machine Front Squats (90, 90, 90)
3x10 Goblet Squats (100, 80, 80) (I couldn't get a good grip on the 100)

Cool down: 1 more mile.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why are you doing smith machine squats, and where did you get this program from?

Damocles

Don Juan
Reaction score
I was doing smith machine squats because some guys were doing seated millitary presses in the squat rack.

The running program came from the Run University. It's their couch to 10k
http://www.rununiversity.com/couchto10k.html
... I did the speedwork today just because. I'm on week 10.

The weightlifting routine came from somewhere... It's a four day split, broken up into horizontal pushes and pulls, vertical pushes and pulls, a hip dominant leg day, and a knee dominant leg day. I tossed in a fifth day doing grip work and core work.

Basically, it's nine sets each for upper body pushes and pulls, and six sets each for knee dominant exercises and hip dominant exercises, with no set exercises. The sets are "never" to failure, except for the occasional time that I just run out of energy near the end of the workout.

Abs and grip are a little different... I do a hundred or so crunches, or twists, or some other ab exercises in various combinations a couple times a week, and maybe two hundred or so reps of various exercises on Wednesdays. Grip work is tomorrow, I'll post what I do then.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Keep your total reps for a particular movement down around 20-30. If you can manage 100+, then it isn't heavy enough.

Damocles

Don Juan
Reaction score
yea, that's about where they are for abs... I don't do sitting tucks anymore, because I can do those until I'm bored. I started a little weighted ab work, but mostly it's stuff like jacknife situps, crunches, some woodchoppers once in a while, leg raises, some other exercises that I don't know the names of...

but, yeah, I don't usually go above 30 reps for any single ab exercise. It just works out to about 100 or 200 or so total reps.

Damocles

Don Juan
Reaction score
Feb 06 08

Warmup: ...
Run: 5 miles at about an 8min/mi pace, around the oval.
Lifts: Core and Grip
3x12 Standing Woodchoppers, on the pulley pillar (17.5, 17.5, 20)
3x12 Standing Lifts, on the pulley pillar (12.5, 12.5, 12.5)
(It's like a woodchopper, but I start with the bar at my waist and go up and to the side)
3x15 Hanging Leg Raises (Bodyweight, Bodyweight, 10lbs)
3x15 lying bicycle kicks (I think... I forget how many I did)
3x10 leg extensions
(I don't know the name for this exercise. It's like a sundog in Yoga, but I bend my knee at the end and my hamstring gets into the action, then I bring my leg to the front. It looks like the same motion I'd do when I'm running)

3x60s dumbbell grip, closed fist grip (60, 60, 60)
3x45s plate pinch (20, 20, 20)
3x25s (or so) dumbbell grip, open hand grip (20, 15, 15)

No finger, wrist or forearm work today. I was done after that last set.
Cooldown: Walkin' home.

I'll stretch later tonight, before bed.

Damocles

Don Juan
Reaction score
Feb 07 08

Warmup: I chatted with a guy for 10 minutes. Yea, I'm pretty hardcore about the warmups.

Run: 6 miles at about an 8 minute/mile pace, around the oval.

... then I took a ten or fifteen minute break, talked a little, ate a banana, talked s'more. Then I got back at it.

Lifts: Vertical push/pull
3x12 Standing Military Dumbbell Press (30, 30, 30)
3x10 Upright Barbell Rows (55, 55, 55)
3x10 Assisted Dips (55, 55, 55... I think)
3x10 Lat Pulldowns (100, 100, 100)
3x10 Lateral Raises (20, 10, 10) (I was pretty much throwing the weights on the first one, so I dropped to 10's)
3x10 Assisted Chinups (30, 30, 30)

Comments: I want the snow to go away. I want to run outdoors.

Other than that, my traps are starting to get stronger, and so is the grip on my left hand. I don't notice the same pull to the right that I used to have when I was doing chinups... it's more of of a gentle tugging to the right now, without any twisting. Woot.

Also, I'm going to cut my lifting volume starting next week. Instead of 18 total sets on upper body days, I'll go for 12, and on lower body days, I'll go for 4 sets, or maybe six on my quad day. I'll toss in a high volume cycle every few months, but it'll be a small one... maybe two or three weeks long.

Damocles

Don Juan
Reaction score
Warmup: 11 minutes on an elliptical trainer

Run: 5 miles, averaging about 8 minutes per mile, with a 4 minute burst at 6:something

Lifts: Hip dominant
3x10 Low Cable Pullthroughs (50, 42, 42) (I did 'em wrong. I'll do 'em right next week.)
3x10 One handed DB deadlift (85, 100, 100) (too light. I'll probably go back to one handed, one legged straight leg deadlifts for a while)

3x12 abs on the ball, crunches, side crunches, twists
3x12 leg walks (or whatever they're called...)

I'll stretch later tonight.

Comments: I did the cable pullthroughs WAY wrong. I left out about half of the range of motion. I was wondering why 50lbs felt so awkward... next week, I'll do 'em eight.

This was the last day of the 10 week plan... it worked quite well. I could run the 10k yesterday easily, and I was able to breathe through my nose for a good chunk of today's run. Next week will be an easy week, with only 75 percent of this week's mileage at a slightly slower pace... I don't know if I'll start speedwork yet, or if I'll build up my aerobic base a little more before I start to tackle speed. I got some homework to do.

britiny_9

Banned
Reaction score
Damocles said:
Warmup: uhh... I skipped the warmup today...

Run: Slightly over 5 miles at a pace slightly faster than 8 minutes per mile, around the oval. Followed by 3x20meters each of skipping A's, skipping B's, and heel kicks, then 3x60m strides.

Lifts:
3x10 one handed seated cable row, (25lbs, 30lbs, 30 lbs)
3x10 one handed cable push, (25, 25, 25) (It's done with one of those adjustable pulley machines, with the pulley at about chest height. Think 'punching')
3x10 DB rows (50, 50, 50) (The last set was actually 8 reps)
3x12 DB bench press (45, 45, 45)
3x10 one handed standing cable pull (25, 35, 35) (like the cable push, but a pull instead)
Pushups, with my feet on a swiss ball (17, 10, 7)

Cooldown: walking home.

I'm going to do some stretching tonight after class, and a little ab work.

EDIT: I'm in a 5k on March 2, which means I have about 28 days 'til race day.
hey really ae are having a same workout,same

Damocles

Don Juan
Reaction score
Warmup: 1 mile at about 7, or 8 minutes per mile

Run: 3.75 miles (including the warmup) at around 7 minutes per mile, with a 12 minute burst at 6:10 per mile... something like that.

Lifts: Horizontal Push/Pull
3 sets (12,10,10) DB bench press (50, 40, 40)
3x10 One handed Seated row (55, 40, 40)
3x10 One handed DB bench press (30, 30, 30)
3x10 Bent over BB rows (65, 65, 65)

Cooldown: some dynamic stretching, walking home.

Comments: I did the workout like... six hours ago, so the numbers are probably off a little. I did some ab work last night, I don't remember how much, but it was maybe 45, 50 reps total... not much.

britiny_9

Banned
Reaction score
workout

Damocles said:
Warmup: 11 minutes on an elliptical trainer

Run: 5 miles, averaging about 8 minutes per mile, with a 4 minute burst at 6:something

Lifts: Hip dominant
3x10 Low Cable Pullthroughs (50, 42, 42) (I did 'em wrong. I'll do 'em right next week.)
3x10 One handed DB deadlift (85, 100, 100) (too light. I'll probably go back to one handed, one legged straight leg deadlifts for a while)

3x12 abs on the ball, crunches, side crunches, twists
3x12 leg walks (or whatever they're called...)

Comments: I did the cable pullthroughs WAY wrong. I left out about half of the range of motion. I was wondering why 50lbs felt so awkward... next week, I'll do 'em eight.

This was the last day of the 10 week plan... it worked quite well. I could run the 10k yesterday easily, and I was able to breathe through my nose for a good chunk of today's run. Next week will be an easy week, with only 75 percent of this week's mileage at a slightly slower pace... I don't know if I'll start speedwork yet, or if I'll build up my aerobic base a little more before I start to tackle speed. I got some homework to do.
this is real workout ,i am agree with you.if you are doing a long term workout ,
then it is true then field is not mandatory ,field has whatever.

Damocles

Don Juan
Reaction score
Warmup: None to speak of.

Run: 3.75 miles at a pace slightly below 8 minutes per mile. I was breathing through my nose most of the time... it was an easy run, during an easy week.

Lifts: Knee dominant leg day
2x10 front squats (95, 95, 95)
2x10 Goblet Squats (85, 85, 85)
2x10 Side Lunges (8, 8, 8)
2x10 Transverse Lunges (8, 8, 8)

Comments: I went all the way down on the squats today. I'll see how it feels tomorrow. 95 lbs is pretty light, so I doubt I'll feel any difference. During the lift, though, I definitly had to work harder to get out of the hole. I was winded by the 8th rep each time.