Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Working for Home Depot or Lowe's

oc16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I got hired as a seasonal worker as a Sales Associate. They told me I will be in plumbing, which I know nothing about. Has anybody worked at Home Depot or Lowe's? What was it like?

jimwho

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's two different companies. Ask your supervisor what your job duties are. Should probably learn how to politely tell people you're not a plumber, but help them find what their looking for. Do it yourselfers often want an explanation of what they're doing and how to do it. Just concentrate on what you stock. Don't take on other peoples problems.

oc16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's two different companies. Ask your supervisor what your job duties are. Should probably learn how to politely tell people you're not a plumber, but help them find what their looking for. Do it yourselfers often want an explanation of what they're doing and how to do it. Just concentrate on what you stock. Don't take on other peoples problems.
I know they are two different companies, but they are very similar.

Funny, I bet people come in to the store thinking those that work in the department are professionals in that area.

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I worked in a Home Depot distribution center. I wrapped it all up on pallets to be put on trucks for you all to put on the shelves and talk it up to your customers.

christie

Banned
Reaction score
I got hired as a seasonal worker as a Sales Associate. They told me I will be in plumbing, which I know nothing about. Has anybody worked at Home Depot or Lowe's? What was it like?
Congrats! That's such a great job for talking to people and learning about how to fix and build things.

I had an idea for you. If a customer gets too insistent that you tell them how to fix or build some piping or plumbing problem you're not sure of....confidently and with head held high, tell them to follow you.
Then take them up to the front of the store where the magazine and bookracks are that have the 'how to...' books and tell them "we're going to look up how to do this job together"
Get them to pick up the book. Say something about covid and that they have to hold the book. Now that you've got them connected with this upselled product that they will end up buying, it works like a charm if you get the customer to HOLD the product-the book.
Look in the table of contents with them at the front of the book for the specific plumbing theme or use the back of the book's index to look up a key word.

Then look up and back at your aisle and say you have to check on something and you'll be right back.

So you're leaving them holding the book to read on their own. $$$$ Could be some extra sales you make when they also buy the how- to books.
Chances are, they'll remember to look on their cellphones for some ideas.
Some of the older generation don't know you can search instructional videos on youtube. Maybe they'll look some more things up for themselves.

You could do the same thing on your breaks or after work.

If you're allowed to carry your phone, you can look up what they need yourself, in front of them, but this can get distracting and it takes time watching youtube plumbing videos.
Plus you want these customers spending time with those books and magazines.$$$$
It gets them in the mode of researching for themselves and might get you some time to go look up in private on your phone what they need.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am in lowes a lot. There is about one guy in the entire place who will actually do work. He's also borderline retarded and just hasn't figured out how to screw around like everyone else. Every item's location at lowes is on the web site, so when you want to find something, the employees use their phones to tell you where it is. Last week my store rearranged everything without updating the web site, which was a disaster.

And it makes perfect sense to place you in a department you know nothing about, that's the lowes way. I have had their employees ask me to teach other customers about plumbing simply because I was standing there and "looked like I knew what I was doing."

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Should be a good job. If you like to screw around and not work a lot Lowe's is great. If you want to develop sales skills and meet plumbers and possibly connect with awell-paid trade it's even better. Now is as good as any time to level up.

Billtx49

Reaction score
OP, memorize where everything in your department is located. Most big box customers are DIY or professionals and only want to efficiently and speedily locate what they're after.

Some need product quality and job related part info, and for that, the most basic hardware and up stores will send you to product manufacturer seminars.

Some customers need to be told how to do the job they mistakenly thought they could handle. For those, get to know the skill levels of other store employees during lunch and break so they can be messaged in time of need and come help those clueless consumers, or know the available self home repairs book titles to suggest…

Speaking specifically of plumbing though, the only way I have now known for years how to silver solder a new fitting on to a still leaking copper water pipe is from talking to an ex professional apartment maintenance technician… Your first clue - it involves bread…

jimwho

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
still leaking copper water pipe is from talking to an ex professional apartment maintenance technician… Your first clue - it involves bread
That cool trick works on a water service when you can blow out "King's Hawaiian" thru a hose bib. But not gum up a 600-series regulator screen. Remember you can disconnect a regulator union in seconds if the valve leaks. Or the union at the meter brass. There is a tool (Jet-swet) made for just this issue. Todays orifices on all fixtures are getting small due to water conservation, be very careful where the bread will end up when you open things up. A good plumber will use Ever-flux and do it up right with a still nagging drip. Also put a ball valve there instead of a fitting, then shut it off dry.

I'm not sure really, just heard this from a Home Depot kid.

Billtx49

Reaction score
Todays orifices on all fixtures are getting small due to water conservation, be very careful where the bread will end up when you open things up.

I'm not sure really, just heard this from a Home Depot kid.
You sound like a pro, I was under the impression that once the 1-3” back bread was sufficiently torch singed after the valve fitting was soldered on it would pass thru any toilet inlet ball valve or fuacet With the aerator temporarily removed…

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Only old men know how to do copper. Everything is pex now. Copper is actually much harder to do correctly than most people realize. Poorly done jobs will not leak, so much as they make the water swirl around messy connections, which then pits the pipe from the inside out.

I just use a little tubing cutter and pop on a sharkbite fitting to the copper, then pvc or pex into the other side of the sharkbite.

Billtx49

Reaction score
Well it’s only taken pex about two decades to get to 60% of new construction, but chances are if you buy a house built before 2000, and quit a few inner city buyers do, you need some old time skills to keep the plumbing historical integrity …
No one wants a 1920’s or so Mission or Craftsman style home that’s been hacked up.

jimwho

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You sound like a pro, I was under the impression that once the 1-3” back bread was sufficiently torch singed after the valve fitting was soldered on it would pass thru any toilet inlet ball valve or fuacet With the aerator temporarily removed…
Actually!!! That's genius. Never thought of that. So you torch it before turning on the water. I'm not worthy Master Poe. Don't know what you call it, but there is a round insert/ball that seals the drip, then you torch it and it liquefies. Never used them.

Last edited:

jimwho

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just use a little tubing cutter and pop on a sharkbite fitting to the copper, then pvc or pex into the other side of the sharkbite.
Did that for my daughter today. Had polybutiline, so I transitioned to Pex by way of sharkbite. Saved the day, Lucky..

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Did that for my daughter today. Had polybutiline, so I transitioned to Pex by way of sharkbite. Saved the day, Lucky..
Your daughter lives in a trailer, i would guess. I work on them a lot. Polybute sucks. Shell oil company spinoff, went bankrupt for its bad product that flooded trailers when fittings failed.

oc16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well I started my job and have been on the floor 2 nights in plumbing. They kind of feed you to the wolves and people do come in asking for plumbing advice. Thank Goodness for the Home Depot App.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
I am in lowes a lot. There is about one guy in the entire place who will actually do work. He's also borderline retarded and just hasn't figured out how to screw around like everyone else. Every item's location at lowes is on the web site, so when you want to find something, the employees use their phones to tell you where it is. Last week my store rearranged everything without updating the web site, which was a disaster.

And it makes perfect sense to place you in a department you know nothing about, that's the lowes way. I have had their employees ask me to teach other customers about plumbing simply because I was standing there and "looked like I knew what I was doing."
Not anymore. They move s hit around and the location on the app is not always the case at Lowes. They've even told me multiple times that the app is never right. I was looking for window molding the other day. The app said they had 46, they actually had none. Home Depot seems to be better at inventory than Lowes it seems. Sadly, the people working there are usually useless. The old white dudes and any Hispanic dude seem to know what they are doing and would actually help. It's hit or miss with others.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What I would do is look at everything being sold in your section, and think how you would use/install it. If you can't come up with anything, then make a note of it, and when you're back home, do a Google search that gives you the general idea. The idea of going with the customer to the "how-to book" section is great since not only will you be giving what the customer needs to figure out what to do, but you'll learn it as well, making you that much more knowledgeable in the future.

I like to go to my local independent hardware store whenever possible as they have folks who know how to use what they sell.