Words men shouldn't use

TesuqueRed

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: STOP

Interesting post---got some issues, though..

Originally posted by HappyHobo
Just stop with the rules tis giving a headache.

Depends on how you take it. If it's not useful, ignore it. If it rings a bell--that's a rule that you need!

Say whatever the hell you want to say as long as it's not negative... that's all..Period

Period. AFCs say a freaking shytload of positive shyt. Look where it gets 'em...

That is sounding hippy-ish, btw...

Forget rules and formulas.. it is better if you free your mind with no limitations.

Yep, hippy-ish...soft-mind, soft-dyck = too much weed!

Ok, enough jokes (for the moment) I can hear what you say on that--it is a specific stage where you make the material your own by using live ammunition in the field--and it feels like you're winging it, making it up, pulling it outta your @ss and you don't know how you got through, but it worked. That's no rules, of course, but out of that you get a good deal of understanding from which develops guidelines...

Just dont offend anyone.

That is impossible.

And I offer you the AFC who offends no one directly, but everyone is annoyed--or offended--enough to never take him seriously or "take" them (think "spread legs" if you wonder what "take" means..)

Another thing is that you dont want to talk out of yoru ass...
(aka BABBLE) we all know a lot of girls do this but guys can be just as bad.

Absolutely dead on. Maybe I misread all the foregoing..???

Make everything you say be meaningful...
stop with the nonsense crap that nobody cares about.

Can't argue with that..

busterchaplin

Don Juan
Reaction score
um, OMG, super cute! I guess...

When I read this, I thought HappyHobo was going to lay down the law and reemphasize Mr. Latte's remark that you just have to pull it off.
Say whatever you want to say
I was nodding and smiling, revving up to pump my arm in aggreeance, when I read:
as long as it's not negative... that's all... Period
My arm didn't pump in agreeance. I lost control of it and knocked my hot coffee into my lap.

What's this guy getting at?, I wondered through the pain ....
Forget rules and formulas..
Then what's "as long as it's not negative"? A corollary?

Say whatever you want to if you can pull it off, and until you can pull it off, these rules are a good start.

Oh, and one last thing: If you want an alternative for "I don't know," and you don't really know, one I like is "I don't know yet ". This shows that you're not indifferent to the topic, implies that you'll either find out or decide soon, and it's good if you catch yourself saying "I don't know" -- you just tack on that "yet" and you're golden.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by bp1974
There are some words and phrases I've seen used here that make me want to cringe. So here's my ongoing list of words and phrases that should never pass your lips, ever again.

Feel free to add your own. I'll add more as I see them.

1. "Yummy". Just don't say it, ok? It's what little girls use to describe their candy.

2. "Oh, My, God..(OMG)". Are you gay?? No? THEN DON'T F*CKING SAY THIS.

3. "Super!" As in "That's super cool!" etc. Just, NO.

Those are my top three most hated right now. I'm sure there'll be more.

bp1974
lol.

right on man!

SnatchJP

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually, busterchaplin if you want to make a powerful statement negatives aren't useful. (Although I admit that post was a bit on the hypocritical side, but I'm sure we all get what he meant.)

Here're a couple good examples of how "positive" statements are more powerful than "negative" ones.

First of all, to define the two. To simplify things a lot, negative statements are the ones with the word "not" in them. [There is a bit more to it than that, but it's simple enough that you can figure it out on your own.]

Now tell me which one of these is more powerful:

"I don't like that" (negative)

"I hate that" (positive)

You see? lets look at a couple more:

"I'm not bad" (negative)
"I'm good"(positive)

Ones like these are obvious, there are some that aren't quite so much so. For example:

"I'm not lying!"(negative)
"I'm telling the truth!" (positive)

Beleive it or not, the positive statement will still be much more convincing than the negative one.

(Skip this part if you're not intresested in psychology) The catch with a negative statement is that it contains a positive one which registers positive subconsciously. So "I am not a crook" registers in the subconscious as "I am a crook". This is called reverse psychology, and it explains why negative statements undermine themselves to a certain extent.

Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Interesting stuff, Snatch. I also heard that if you have kids, you should use positive admonitions.
Instead of: Don't eat the cookies before dinner.
You should use: Eat your dinner before you eat the cookies.

I'm guessing that in the first statement, only "Don't eat the cookies" registers with the kid and thus upsets him.

But anyway, I'm with Bob2007. I HATE being asked "Are you sure?". My mom and dad would always ask me that in the mornings before I left for school.

"You've got your wallet?"
"Yes."
"You sure?"
"No, I'm just imagining this big rectangular bulge coming out of my ass."
"Heeeey!"

Nevertheless they persisted.

chalk

Don Juan
Reaction score
"SORRY!"

Fair enough if it really HAS to be said, but one thing that irritates me about a girl im seeing at the mo is that she ALWAYS says sorry. I know were talking about blokes here and it applies the same.

Dont say SORRY to much, it's annoying and loses it' s meaning if you say it to much!!!!

FlowStill

Don Juan
Reaction score
hmmm...

Men definately should not say "I don't know", Best way to honestly avoid saying this is to be on top of your sh*t, schedule out your life make sure you know what you are going to be doing in the next couple months. Another thing men should not say is "can I.....?", If your are in a relationship and even worse if your are not, never ask someone permission to do something unless they are your parents or boss. "Do you think I'm....?" Just shut your pansy a$$ up. Never ever reveal your insecurities in a question form. First off the person answering will most likely lie and secondly know that you are insecure at whatever your questioning... If you have to, always suggest an idea in your question like "I'm pretty good huh?" or "I could make it better heh?" This shows that you recognize a fault of yours to some degree, and when people know you recognize it they will give you an honest answer.

busterchaplin

Don Juan
Reaction score
originally posted by SnatchJP
Actually, busterchaplin if you want to make a powerful statement negatives aren't useful.
So, presumably, if I were to argue against the use of negatives, I'd say "negatives are useless" instead of "negatives aren't useful", since the former would be much more powerful than the latter.

Your fanatical dislike of negatives is misplaced.

Despite your self-defeating opening line, I read the rest of your post. I read it despite that, having read numerous psychology books and language style manuals that have touched on that topic, I knew exactly where you were going. I read it despite being a writer, actor and orator.

My opinion stands.

I find it ridiculous to change your language if, as I so conveniently noted, "you can pull it off". Nevermind that I mentioned that these rules are a solid launch point if you can't do so. If a DJ is good, he won't need silly little tips. Even if a DJ needs work, your tip may go against the particular DJ's attitude or style, and, in turn, feel inauthentic when he uses it. Of course your tip will be useful for those that stutter, look at their feet with their hands in their pockets, and are barely audible when speaking to a woman. I see nothing sacrificed, however, by a confident DJ who says "Not bad" with a slight smile and a touch of sarcasm.

I applaud Snatch for feeling "good" over feeling "not bad". Hurrah for "hating" over "not liking"! But you're being way too simple about the matter. Your antithetical opening line, for instance, is an overgeneralization. Most negatives other than "not" are usually powerful:

"Her loveliness I never knew/Until she smiled upon me." (H. Coleridge, She is not fair to out-ward view)

Also, parallel use of a negative and a positive is stronger than either alone. Think of:

"Not that I loved Caesar less, but that I loved Rome more." (Julius Caesar III.ii. 273-274)
"Ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country." (JFK)

Even the word "not" without contrast can powerful:

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." (Clark Gable as Rhett Butler, Gone with the wind)

Furthermore, you assumed he meant "don't use negative structure" when he said, using negative structure himself, "say whatever you want to say as long as it's not negative". He could have meant a number of things by that: possibly don't mention bad news, or don't express a negative opinion, maybe even your enterpretation. Regardless, you should not inhibit yourself with rules of speech if you don't need them.

Don't walk on eggshells with your girl. Don't analyse every word you say, every expression you give, every action you make, or else you'll burn out before the day is over.

The most basic negative statement that a man can utter is "no". Do we, as you suggest, recoil from using it? Fear that it ever pass through our lips when we speak to women? Avoid it at all costs?

"No."

"No" is one of the most powerful words you can say to a woman.

Lastly, you give the example of Richard Nixon's "I am not a crook" as leading to his downfall. When you talk to a woman, your words do not get immortalized in print, where they are taken out of the context of your delivery and your attitude. And, of course, if you take the stance that you're getting impeached in front of the nation every time she asks you how your day was, you should try being the strong, silent type -- and never talk to another woman, ever. Quit while you're ahead.

vdk

Don Juan
Reaction score
"Basically,......." - everyone uses this word to start sentences in college class discussions. Shows you have very 'basic' vocabulary.

"Like" - use this too often and people will automatically think youre dumb.

I'm too tired to think of more.:eek:

hardwork

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I second that!

Originally posted by vdk
"Like" - use this too often and people will automatically think youre dumb.
My friends and I took this to new heights, fashioning a game out of counting how many times the "twittier" folk in our classes would use "like" per sentence.

The record, I believe, was 38 times in a two-minute dissertion on, like, how Lo-Wan was, like, this totally strong but, like, un-fairly-judged woman in, like, Pearl Buck's The Good Earth.

I shudder to think of sitting through that again. Behold:

«shudder»

busterchaplin,

I had never seriously thought about the strength of the word "No". Thank you for that.

I found especially meaningful the following:
Originally posted by busterchaplin:
Don't walk on eggshells with your girl. Don't analyse every word you say, every expression you give, every action you make, or else you'll burn out before the day is over.
A great tip in and of itself, to be sure!

My only REAL contribution to the thread is thus ;):

For lack of a better word for it, the “chuckling” that so often follows a declarative statement is going to drive me berserk. I think you all know what I'm talking about...
Originally jettisoned from the festering mouth of some nameless half-wit:
Yeah, but I like the Raiders more. «heh»
Few people notice it, but once you do, that half-assed chuckle at the end of every declarative sentence you hear will sound like a foghorn every time.

It's all an insecurity thing, really, and has nothing really to do with "words men shouldn't use", but if you're out and about--say, macking--make sure that you're not half-laughing after everything you say. (I've only really ever heard guys do this, and it happens most often in situations they find themselves outside their Comfort Zone.) It's official: it's obnoxious, reflects poorly on you, and is a general anti-desiac.

duke007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I learnt not to say "I don't know" from a young age.

I remember this old Canadian kids show where the characters were covered in green slime if they said the evil words.

It was always funny when they tricked the snobby chicks into saying it!

Aah they don't make kid's TV like the used to...

What was this show called anybody?

silverdog

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by duke007
I learnt not to say "I don't know" from a young age.

I remember this old Canadian kids show where the characters were covered in green slime if they said the evil words.

It was always funny when they tricked the snobby chicks into saying it!

Aah they don't make kid's TV like the used to...

What was this show called anybody?
I believe it was called you can't do that on television.

DJ Fedorov

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by duke007

I remember this old Canadian kids show where the characters were covered in green slime
Sounds like something from Nickelodean, ahhh the good ol' days, we should make a thread about which cartoon characters we're DJ's. Like Tommy Pickels from Rugrats, now that a real DJ right there but then that Doug character was a AFC, he'd get all nervous when Parry Mayonaise walked by... :D Ok I'm done... heh

Genghis Juan

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's a few more words

1. Software
2. Compiler
3. Model (Computer Models not Fashion Models)
4. Analysis
5. Economic

I go to B School, and when Im making small talk in the school pub or in the classroom, nothing scares away the girls faster other than anti-female remarks than techo babble. Something about IT & engineers in the class just have a masturbatory experience in upchucking their knowledge of this boring S**t to anyone in their vicinity. I really feel like telling the to s**t the f**k up!!

HappyHobo

Banned
Reaction score
You have it all wrong.

First off Tesquered and BusterChaplin,

From reading your posts it seems like what you are doing is seeing if you agree or disagree with my thoughts.

Lucky for you, many people on this board are like that and it's not just you two. By reading and seeing if you are for or against what another person has said is sheerly along the lines of ignorance.

It's not if you agree or disagree with another's views .. it's whether you understand them first... to believe or not believe in what they are saying. And for the most part from what i read, you two are NOT understanding what i am saying but only looking for things that satisfy YOUR views... You are not understanding before you AGREE or DISAGREE.

Despite yoru actions i am not offended and appreciate yoru responses but would just like for more people to be more understanding first, instead of looking to concur or contend with whats posted.

Now, i will try to elaborate on my previous post. What i have emphatically said and expressed great opposition towards is limiting yourself to rules and formulas. If you fix yoruself on rules and formulas you will be incapable of adjusting.... and every situation will be different because life is a process and everything will eventually change. Formulas and rules prevent you from thinking independently and finding out what works for YOU..
You will rely more on the fomula or rule.

Remember, MY message is a GENERAL message and not neceesarily taking in the context by the subject started by the thread initiater.

HBK

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ive a freind that never stops calling people gay,or compares every situation to a gay senari, or your mama jokes !!!!! i mean hes 20 wheres the dignity in that