Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Why chew steroids and pump Iron?

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Following is an article in an Australian Ladies COSMOPOLITAN Magazine,

"If you prefer slim guys to more macho “me Tarzan, you Jane” brawn, you’re not alone. A new study has found women are attracted to thinner men and it’s not because they look more dapper in suits. It harks back to evolution.

The study by the University of Pretoria in South Africa found gals love a slim lad because a lean body is consistently linked to general health and a good immune system. In other words, you’re attracted to his good health, which you want him to pass onto your babies. Pretty primal, right?

Previously, it was thought women just preferred macho features, regardless of weight, because it was a sign potential beaus had high levels of testosterone and therefore a strong immune response. While they were right about females loving a powerful immune system, they've now proven women take their cues from a guy’s body weight, not how much iron he is pumping. Who would have thought that being able to fight off a flu is so sexy?!

To test their theory researchers took snaps of 69 Caucasian males in their undies, measuring their fat, immune response and testosterone levels. Around 65 percent were healthy weight, four percent were underweight and 30.4 percent were overweight or obese. Next, they showed the photos to 29 Latvian women who were in the most fertile part of their cycle, and therefore had hormones urging them to make babies. And you guessed it, the lean, Ryan Gosling-type men won hands down. Women were more drawn to the guys with lower levels of body fat.

While most women won’t kick Channing Tatum out of bed, the study shows that in a love triangle, bet on the lean lad."

Interested to hear what you all think about it?

TonyBaloney

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This study is no suprise; every woman I ever talked to about muscles etc always said they didnt like it....this was after me saying that I should pump iron and get bigger muscles.

Im not a small bloke - im 6ft, and weigh 14 and a half stone, so a good sturdy physique...i also have naturally broad shoulders (m8s who are weight lifters say id be a giant if i did pump iron)

It also did occur in my own way of thinking that slenderness is easier to maintain than muscles - gym time means less pvssy pumping at home time! ;)

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A lot of guys who lift and watch their diet ARE very lean though.

On the other hand, I know a lot of women find the bodybuilding look kind of gross. Face it, sometimes guys who lift a lot look unnatural. The lean physique is more what you would expect from a strong hunter/gatherer who has to be fast.

Something else I notice. Girls will swoon over some guys who are ripped. But won't give a second look to other guys who are ripped. Part of it is how good looking you are, and how the muscles look on you. Some guys' muscles form more attractively than others, apparently. Not all chests are created equal.

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I would take that study with a grain of salt. Most of the guys conducting that research are probably pencil necks trying to justify themselves. I would say muscular without going as far as juiced would be more of an ideal. In the last few years it has almost become a prerequisit to get buff from the gym, one only need look at most male celebrities and athletes, or watch music videos. The natural buff look from creatine and supps has never been more appealing.

Boilermaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mike32ct said:
It all must be taken in the context of height.

Skinny and lean is hot for a tall guy or ok/acceptable for a guy of decent height.

You won't hear women tell a short guy that they like him skinny and lean.
Then again, a short guy with huge masses of muscle looks like an Action Man doll.

N'est-ce pas? :p

The Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Numerous times I've had women tell me they prefer the more lean cut look with some definition vs. Mr. Muscle Head. I'm not surprised at all that the study matches what I've heard.

I've also noticed when I'm out that the Muscle heads lack a lot skills in approaching women. They parade around with their chests out pushing anybody smaller than them out of the way while trying to dominate the scene. I've never seen them get that far with girls.

If you are spending that much time in the gym, you probably aren't a very well rounded and interesting person anyways! A successful life is about balance and goes a long way in attracting women.

Die Hard

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are many distinctions to make:

*fat
*lean
*fat and muscular
*lean and muscular
*Fat, with HUGE muscles
*lean, with HUGE muscles
*fat, with ABOVE AVERGAE muscles
*lean, with ABOVE AVERAGE muscles
*fat, with SMALL muscles
*lean, with SMALL muscles

It seems the article just assumes there are 2 categories, which is very narrow minded and makes this study (or the way the article is portraying the study) worthless.

Statements like: "Women were more drawn to the guys with lower levels of body fat" are COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS. After all, Mr.Olympia, who is absolutely HUGE, has extremely low body fat. But some starving Somalian kid also has extremely low body fat...

One thing I can assure you: a guy that is lean (low body fat) and has above average (not huge) muscles, TRUMPS ALL. That's a fact and has been comfirmed by women over and over again... Like this:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/blondfitnessmodeljockwi.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/underwearhunkkneelingin.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21/biggestsportseventcrist.jpg/

Last edited:

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Die Hard said:
It seems the article just assumes there are 2 categories, which is very narrow minded and makes this study (or the way the article is portraying the study) worthless.
Great point.

Die Hard said:
One thing I can assure you: a guy that is lean (low body fat) and has above average (not huge) muscles, TRUMPS ALL.
That sounds right to me. Throw in height, and you have an unbeatable combination.

I remember a girl who dated a guy with a build pretty close to that, and he was tall. She used to talk about how she liked the length of his muscles, not about how bulgy they were.

I think if a guy can come across as physically intimidating in some way, that's a plus for him. Usually guys who have this kind of presence are big and tall, not necessarily jacked to the gills. They seem to be naturally dominant. This appeals to women because they want "protection", that's one of the natural attraction factors. If you're a short, scrawny dude, you're at a disadvantage.

U

user43770

Die Hard said:
There are many distinctions to make:

*fat
*lean
*fat and muscular
*lean and muscular
*Fat, with HUGE muscles
*lean, with HUGE muscles
*fat, with ABOVE AVERGAE muscles
*lean, with ABOVE AVERAGE muscles
*fat, with SMALL muscles
*lean, with SMALL muscles

Statements like: "Women were more drawn to the guys with lower levels of body fat" are COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS. After all, Mr.Olympia, who is absolutely HUGE, has extremely low body fat. But some starving Somalian kid also has extremely low body fat...

One thing I can assure you: a guy that is lean (low body fat) and has above average (not huge) muscles, TRUMPS ALL. That's a fact and has been comfirmed by women over and over again... Like this:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/blondfitnessmodeljockwi.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/underwearhunkkneelingin.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21/biggestsportseventcrist.jpg/

This. Repped.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like this study factored in muscle mass. There are plenty of lean, muscular guys out there that would be considered "overweight" by many researchers' standards.

A quick google image search sums it up perfectly:

Image link.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Talk is cheap.

Speaking as a guy who has been all across the spectrum (150-lb weakling, 250-lb powerlifter, 220-lb athletic), I have gotten the MOST attention and compliments at 220 lbs. I am 5'11''. I dont have a rigid 6 pack, but I am in the 12-15% bf range. I have muscle where most guys dont from years of powerlifting: upper back, legs, and shoulders. This is nothing I contrived, but it works.

I have used steroids and been REALLY muscular, but I wasnt dropping any panties at that size. 90% of females will respond favorably to an athletic build with a lean midsection. That's in the 180 lb range for most guys.

But the REAL message here is look how YOU wanna look!! Screw the girls. If you wanna be jacked, then get jacked!! If you wanna run marathons, then run marathons. Just do it with passion and girls will come.

drak_ool

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
took 9 posts for someone to state the obvious: the study does not support the title of the thread, sorry Scaramouche.

This debate has been around for as long as the community existed... I can back up colossus through my own personal experience, the bigger I get the more attention I get from females (I'm 6'1 and never made it past 185lbs). Also women get a lot more touchy-feely, which makes kino and escalation that much easier.

Boilermaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"they may not admit it to you"

:crackup:

OK - chief !

DieHard had just got it right (most objective), so did Colossus - although he was pushing it already, you just capsized the ship...

Congratulations.

P.S that guy in that picture looks retarded.

Boilermaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Most gyms you go to seem to have more males who are in shape than women. It is ironic and at the same time there are shops and specific fashion lines dedicated to women's workout apparel. Very few women venture past the treadmills or steppers and if they do any weights it is very passive.

Boilermaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mauser96 said:
LOl. I bet I can guess YOUR build!!
oh Yah?

25 wide-grip pull-ups and 25 push-ups every day.

5,11 180lbs.

Lean with above average muscle. I will send you naked pictures if you are into

lean meat.

Dude, you can't get at me. I am just perfect. :D

Wilko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Boilermaker said:
oh Yah?

25 wide-grip pull-ups and 25 push-ups every day.
Good to see another BW guy. Best part about BW is that it keeps me out of the gym - it's just a weird environment, I'm not a fan.

As an aside, no additional "cardio" BM?

When it comes to return on investment - I think most of the benefits (so far as access to more attractive women) are achieved with a fairly basic level of fitness. Seems to be a law of diminishing returns once you push past a certain point with your physique, i.e. an awful lot of extra effort for relatively little reward. Guys will have other reasons for taking it to that extra level, but I'm mindful that it doesn't make much economic sense when we're talking pure SMV.

Die Hard

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I feel a picture contest coming up, lol...

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
29 Latvian women is not a big enough sample size to draw broad sweeping conclusions from. It could be a cultural bias and other factors. I would give this no validity.