Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Why are we so nice these days?

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is an odd question, but has anyone noticed that we (humans) are getting nicer and nicer these days?

I mean, a thousand years ago, it was perfectly okay for kings to rape little girls, soldiers to massacre an entire city, and slavery was legal. Today we talk about charity, humanitarianism, and we even treat animals nice!

I can't really believe its evolution, because if that was the case, wouldn't we be seeking more efficient (rather than humane) solutions? Is there some kind of strange clock in our heads which make us nicer to each other by the minute?

Teflon_Mcgee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's just a natural progression of a civilied society.

And for the record, there are still places where leaders rape little girls, soldiers massacare entire cities and slavery is common.

Becoming nice is not a progression of human beings. At the core we are still the same animals we were in the beginning.

The only difference is we have a society that dictates our behavior as a whole. And that society evolves as people maintain it.

The thing most people never get to experience is that of being placed in a hostile, kill or be killed enviroment such as prison or war. It is amazing how it changes people while in that enviroment (yes, I speak from experience.)

It really does break down to those with power doing what they want and acting out there emotions on those less powerful. Just like a pack of lions on the African plain with the exception that humans will act and be violent for hate, malice, revenge, jealousy, and other emotions.

For amazing insight into this look at the novel, "Lord of the Flies." That is how things break down without an advanced cohesive society. Anybody who says different has never left the confines of civilization and rules and consiquence.

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Its interesting, because I lived in a few very poor but stable countries, and even though the law is far more strict, the violence there is quite astounding. It gets to the point where you can get killed over 10 cents worth of food, or open corruption (like a cop demanding money from a shop owner, or he will come back to kill him).

I thought it was interesting how folks in rich countries (like the US or Europe) would be more likely to be 'nicer', or at least express shock at bad behaviour like corrupt cops or violence.

Deep Dish - If altruism is evolutionary, wouldn't it be more efficient for people to discriminate by race/religion/nationality? The article you showed me talks about altruism towards "relatives" (same race, religion, nation, etc) being more effective, but our societies seem more open and tolerant, compared with the past.