Why Am I Like This?

Brak86

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright you all. I dont know if this is some kind of psychological disorder that I have (OCD??) or just something else that has stemmed from my genetics, but I always get paranoid when i get injured. But I dont actually worry about the injury itself, i only worry about permanence. But whenever i get almost any injury, i start worrying if it will last and it will be a life-long obstruction for me.

If i knew an injury would heal, i would be perfectly alright with staying off of weights/exercising for awhile. But the thing is, now even the smallest of injuries worries me. I meditate and such try to stop thinking negative thoughts. But i always wonder whether my body will never be the same after a certain injury. Instances that have occured like hurting my shoulder, spraining my knee, and even getting kicked in the groin stay with me for awhile in my mind because i worry that my body will never be the same after. Im in good health now, and yet, whenever i get an injury i always wonder whether this one will hinder me/not make me the same. Do you all have any suggestions on how to change my thinking?

Hoppy

Don Juan
Reaction score
How about stop being a sissy? :D

Seriously though, you just need to rationalize what you're doing. You know that a sprained knee isn't going to have a long term effect. You're a guy; Stop being emotional about it and be logical.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I tend to be the opposite. I get hurt a lot and keep thinking "oh well it'll heal."

It doesn't always heal. I have recurring injuries. Both my knees are kind of weak and i'm a bit scared they might end up going all to hell as i get older but i love lifting and playing all sorts of sports and i play HARD (i'm the idiot giving 100% diving to catch balls even in games like kickball) so i get hurt and reaggravate things all the time even when i think they're healed.

I just sorta learn to live with injuries. I've never had anything really bad yet like a ligament tearing (kinda worried about that one in the back of both my knees as it gets sore sometimes). I just limp for a few days or couple weeks or have to sleep with my arm above my head or something.

For the most part things heal but don't be dumb and think you're superman and can play through things all the time.

Brak86

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yea most people arent like me. Most people dont even think twice about injuries, especially small injuries. I've never been seriously injured (knock on wood). The worst injury ive had was the sprained knee but thats it. And yet its so hard for me to rationalize injuries. I dont cry and whine about the injury when i get hurt, but i just cant stop thinking about it the next few days until it fully heals. Even then, i have to wait until i almost cant even remember the event of the injury to stop worrying about it.

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
it often happens to me too, so i know what you're talkin about:)
i think that is because we have very little medical knowledge, so we overrate small injuries, because we don't know whether they are serious or not.

gav

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
watching fight club will totally reverse your thinking

but i know where you're coming from. i'm the same sometimes, cuz the injury might stop me lifting which would make me feel ****ty

Phoenix_of_the_ashes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your body is tougher than you think, its the product of an unknown number of millions of years, respect that and use it.

Reaction score
You sound like a pregant woman.

Stop your sissying. Want to stop worrying? Get to the gym and do some ****ing squats. Go heavy. You shouldnt be able to do more than 4 reps.

This will raise your testosterone like mad. Dont like squats you say?

TOO FREAKING BAD.

Get into the gym. You'll see how strong your body is. Maybe not the fisrt day, maybe not the second but you will.

Oh and stay away from soy. AWAY. soy = EVIL. EEEVIL. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dont believe me? Check the soy thread.