Who initiates divorce?

Poonani Maker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Who initiates divorce?

The National Center for Health Statistics reports that from 1975 to 1988 in the US, in families with children present, wives file for divorce in approximately two-thirds of cases. In 1975, 71.4% of the cases were filed by women, and in 1988, 65% were filed by women.[2]

According to a study published in the American Law and Economics Review, women currently file slightly more than two-thirds of divorce cases in the US.[3] There is some variation among states, and the numbers have also varied over time, with about 60% of filings by women in most of the 19th century, and over 70% by women in some states just after no-fault divorce was introduced, according to the paper. Evidence is given that among college-educated couples, the percentages of divorces initiated by women is approximately 90%.

In their study titled "Child Custody Policies and Divorce Rates in the US," Kuhn and Guidubaldi find it reasonable to conclude that women anticipate advantages to being single, rather than remaining married.[4]

When women anticipate a clear gender bias in the courts regarding custody, they expect to be the primary residential parent for the children and the resulting financial child support, maintaining the marital residence, receiving half of all marital property, and gaining total freedom to establish new social relationships. In their detailed analysis of divorce rates, Kuhn and Guidubaldi conclude that acceptance of joint physical custody may reduce divorce. States whose family law policies, statutes, or judicial practice encourage joint custody have shown a greater decline in their divorce rates than those that favor sole custody.

~
~
~I rest my case. Women are the weaker sex.

Looks like that dumbazz English king fvcked it up royally many years ago. Henry VIII of England is known for founding the Anglican Church partly in order to obtain a divorce.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I believe marriage is a vehicle for women to both have their cake and eat it too. There is tons of literature on this subject. That's not to say that marriage in and of itself is bad. That's where a lot of guys here make a mental mistake. It is only good or bad in relation to the people and situation being considered.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Poonani Maker said:
Looks like that dumbazz English king fvcked it up royally many years ago. Henry VIII of England is known for founding the Anglican Church partly in order to obtain a divorce.
i am so glad you looked that up, because i will now refer every one to exactly which man started divorce.....

armadon

Don Juan
Reaction score
penkitten said:
i am so glad you looked that up, because i will now refer every one to exactly which man started divorce.....
Don't forget he likes to chop heads off too!

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hope our constitution gets amended so that gays and lesbians are allowed to marry. When that happens it will be the nail in the coffin for marriage. Marriage will have no meaning. When that happens I think I'll get myself 4 or 5 wives with iron clad prenups for all.

Heh that would be a trip.

Obsidian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
interesting perspective, Maxtro

That part about college-educated women is wild. I didn't realize that.

Poonani Maker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Poonani Maker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Last edited:

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Poonani Maker said:
Divorces were possible beforehand, but had to go through the pope. The pope wouldn't grant one, so Henry, being an Alpha male, just started a new national religion with himself at the head.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lies! They are all sugar and spice and nice! They would never ... those are cooked statS!!111! Down with the patriarchy!

Wheew, sorry, I was channeling iqqi there for a minute.

iqqi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bigjohnson said:
Lies! They are all sugar and spice and nice! They would never ... those are cooked statS!!111! Down with the patriarchy!

Wheew, sorry, I was channeling iqqi there for a minute.
this thread has been done before. they always leave out the part where they say WHY its mostly women initiating divorce.

Discoverydotcom
thediscoverychannel said:
Two-thirds of all divorces are initiated by women. One recent study found that many of the reasons for this have to do with the nature of our divorce laws. For example, in most states women have a good chance of receiving custody of their children. Because women more strongly want to keep their children with them, in states where there is a presumption of shared custody with the husband the percentage of women who initiate divorces is much lower. Also, the higher rate of women initiators is probably due to the fact that men are more likely to be "badly behaved." Husbands, for example, are more likely than wives to have problems with drinking, drug abuse, and infidelity

Rovalier

Don Juan
Reaction score
iqqi said:
this thread has been done before. they always leave out the part where they say WHY its mostly women initiating divorce.

Discoverydotcom
I don't doubt there are ****ty guys out there. But I also doubt it is that lopsided.

Consider this: in most traditional families you have the father instilling discipline and morality on children. If you do some research you will find that youth deviance tends to be lower when children have a "father figure". Father figures include biological fathers, adoptive ones, uncles, grand fathers, teacher, mentors and so forth. In contrast, single mother families yield greater youth deviance. Now if guys tend to behave badly why is this the case? You can't instill morality and discipline in the first place without having any at all. Like I said, I am sure there are ****s, but I really doubt the majority of married-but-divorced educated men (at 90%) behave that poorly.

iqqi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rovalier said:
I don't doubt there are ****ty guys out there. But I also doubt it is that lopsided.

Consider this: in most traditional families you have the father instilling discipline and morality on children. If you do some research you will find that youth deviance tends to be lower when children have a "father figure". Father figures include biological fathers, adoptive ones, uncles, grand fathers, teacher, mentors and so forth. In contrast, single mother families yield greater youth deviance. Now if guys tend to behave badly why is this the case? You can't instill morality and discipline in the first place without having any at all. Like I said, I am sure there are ****s, but I really doubt the majority of married-but-divorced educated men (at 90%) behave that poorly.
I hear what you are saying, but like you say in your last statement, I highly doubt that the majority of women initiating divorces are doing so just 'cause.

Knowwhatimean??

Reaction score
statistics is paralysis by analysis

you dont wanna even go there, just live YOUR life as if statistics DONT exist

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ultimate Player said:
statistics is paralysis by analysis

you dont wanna even go there, just live YOUR life as if statistics DONT exist
nice

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
iqqi said:
.... they always leave out the part where they say WHY its mostly women initiating divorce.
This assertion is supported by which studies? Looks like horsecrap to me.

Don't get me wrong, if the laws were slanted the other way men would be lining up to take advantage too. Maybe to a lesser degree, but it would still happen. I love that the guy across the hall is required to pay support in an attempt to provide his ex-wife with the "quality of life she has enjoyed during the marriage" but she isn't required to come cook, clean house and wash his socks like HE is used to enjoying.

Poonani Maker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bigjohnson said:
I love that the guy across the hall is required to pay support in an attempt to provide his ex-wife with the "quality of life she has enjoyed during the marriage" but she isn't required to come cook, clean house and wash his socks like HE is used to enjoying.
Well, it's TOtallY backwards than how it was back during Jewish times, where a Man could divorce his wife for even talking to another man in public. Back then, they were treated a notch above livestock. I learned this in Bible class tonight. However, I also learned that God is like a Woman who is searching for her lost coin - Luke 15:8-10 :rolleyes:

Obsidian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So do 90% of college-educated women marry "badly-behaved" men, iqqi? :rolleyes: Wow what a lame explanation