"I just moved here from Florida."

That sentence contains at least five follow-up questions she WANTS you to ask. Where in Florida? What brought you here? How long have you been in the area? What do you miss? How does it compare to here?

She handed them to you on a silver platter. And you said, "Oh cool. I come here every week. I love this band. Ummm... pretty crowded tonight."

She smiled politely. Nodded. And never texted you back.

I was that guy for years. Talking too much. Listening too little. Panicking about my next sentence while she was literally feeding me the answers.

Then I found 22 rules that fixed the whole thing. Rule number one: shut up and listen. She'll tell you exactly what to say.

Read more...

Who are you?

Cloud-uk

Master Don Juan
Joined
Feb 1, 2003
Messages
699
Reaction score
1
Age
39
Location
SE England/ York
We all play a role.

Identity is one of the rocks of life. We find comfort in our personhood. Standing alone, we look at ourselves and marvel at our distinctness. We are an individual, I am a story, a living record of a life, with dreams and desires. When we feel let down, feel despair, we can look at ourselves and find strength in our persistance. We are still here. We are still us.

We all play a roll, and we find comfort in it. This is who we are, have been, and always will be.

Of course that is all a pile of ****. Your personhood is nothing but the tentative link between one moment and the next. Every second you become a different person. Every day you are a totally different individual to the one that woke the previous morning.

There is a battle in everyone between breaking new barriers and reclining into comfort. Just because you have the same name as the man who woke the previous morning doesn't make you him. You may admire him, or hate him, but you are not him.

We feel a fear of "acting out of character". We are bombarded with advice not to be fake, to be yourself. We are goaded into the comfortable monotony of trying to be the same as the man who woke the morning before.

We all play a role. I tend to play the joker. Spread a pack of cards, there are a lot of suits to try on, a lot of roles to play. Nature doesn't see you a baby and ordane you should stay that way forever. Go with it, try everything out. The joker doesn't get used in all the games. The joker doesn't fit me anymore. The joker doesn't get a suit, and I look good in a suit.

It's not being fake if your present role doesn't fit. You may be comfortable in it, but we're all here to break down boundaries. Don't want to give up the rock of timeless identity? Never said it would be easy.

Anyway, I'm going to try on the King. May mean less jokes, less comfort, some new chalenges and lessons, but that's where I want to be. We all play roles, but are you in the right one?
 

"Why Women Dump the Guys Who Try the Hardest"

You paid for dinner. You drove. You said "whatever you want is fine" every single time. All the effort, no expectations.

And she left anyway — probably for a guy who makes her pick up the pizza.

Painful. Also predictable. Her mind quietly concludes that anything requiring zero effort from her is worth exactly zero. You became a free sample, and free samples get taken for granted.

The 22 Rules flip the dynamic. Small shifts that get her investing effort, money, and time in you — until SHE'S the one afraid of losing YOU.

Read more...

sosofresh

Don Juan
Joined
Jun 26, 2004
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
Location
u.s. of a.
it's good that you want to try on the King. you see that there is a need for change and you are taking the neccessary steps for the better. *thumbs up*
 

Mr. Debonaire

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jan 12, 2004
Messages
544
Reaction score
0
Age
39
Location
in front of my computer
good post

this explains whats been going through my own mind lately, and i think it is a phase that all young lads of about our age ponder. Up until now, you had a role that you didn't try to fit; you simply were. now, especially after visiting this site, you begin to question who you are or who you have become. This post also points out that you cloud_uk my friend are in the "inbetween" stage.

fvck this, I'm starting a new thread :rolleyes:
 
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
366
Reaction score
0
im gonna be the ace , i am higher than the king, and unlike the joker i am not excluded, the 2 is above me, and the king is below me, i am THE ONE.
 

"I just moved here from Florida."

That sentence contains at least five follow-up questions she WANTS you to ask. Where in Florida? What brought you here? How long have you been in the area? What do you miss? How does it compare to here?

She handed them to you on a silver platter. And you said, "Oh cool. I come here every week. I love this band. Ummm... pretty crowded tonight."

She smiled politely. Nodded. And never texted you back.

I was that guy for years. Talking too much. Listening too little. Panicking about my next sentence while she was literally feeding me the answers.

Then I found 22 rules that fixed the whole thing. Rule number one: shut up and listen. She'll tell you exactly what to say.

Read more...

Mr. Debonaire

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jan 12, 2004
Messages
544
Reaction score
0
Age
39
Location
in front of my computer
Originally posted by huge_guy_pimpin
actually did u watch that movie with jet li in it ?
haha ya now it all makes sense. lol

ps I think were the only ones online???
 

"Why Women Dump the Guys Who Try the Hardest"

You paid for dinner. You drove. You said "whatever you want is fine" every single time. All the effort, no expectations.

And she left anyway — probably for a guy who makes her pick up the pizza.

Painful. Also predictable. Her mind quietly concludes that anything requiring zero effort from her is worth exactly zero. You became a free sample, and free samples get taken for granted.

The 22 Rules flip the dynamic. Small shifts that get her investing effort, money, and time in you — until SHE'S the one afraid of losing YOU.

Read more...

Mr. Debonaire

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jan 12, 2004
Messages
544
Reaction score
0
Age
39
Location
in front of my computer
Originally posted by huge_guy_pimpin
yeah so today i ate a cow and 2 pens of chickens for a snack, was still hungry after.
I recommend fair maidens, they always do the trick for me
 
Top