Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Where have you gotten your jobs the last couple years?

eli77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Merchant Mariner. You need a TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Card) and an MMC (Merchant Mariner Credential). For the former they do a background check. You're supposed to have not comited a crime in the last 7 years. A friend of mine had something (not major) and got it. You have to explain the circumstances. You can try getting the TWIC (it might be $120). If you get it, you can pursue the MMC.
How much is the pay I heard the hours are what one month on one month off a lot of guys here in south Florida are heading to Alaska for work but a lot of them have criminal history.

corsica

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
How much is the pay I heard the hours are what one month on one month off a lot of guys here in south Florida are heading to Alaska for work but a lot of them have criminal history.
There are many positions. The ones that take less training time are unlicensed. You have 3 departments:
- Deck (outside and inside the bridge)
- Engine (inside the engine room)
- Steward (working in the kitchen)

You can start as Ordinary Seaman (OS), Wiper and Steward Assistant (SA).
You can do short courses (less than a month) and get endorsements to work in those positions. You can make $8k/month on average.
After 6 months you can upgrade (to Able Seaman, Oiler and Cook). You can make around $375/day. Maybe more with bonuses.

If you join the Seafarers International Union, you can get training for free but their Unlicensed Apprentice course is long (consider it a year in total). But you'll be way more prepared. You can look for a local school out of your pocket for some basic training and go to a Union Hall (seafarers) and tell them that you want to join them and are ready to sail. Depending on the department, they'll call you in less than a month with a ship for you to work.

Having more sea time means you can do Coast Guard tests to get a license (and become an officer). Then you can make $20k/month.
Officers work 6 months per year. Unlicensed tend to work 8 months.

It's easy to get a job as an unlicensed. You go to your local union hall and there are dozens and dozens of ships you can choose from to work. Pick the one you're interested and that's it. You work there from 60-120 days and when you're done you can take as much times as you want to go back to a ship.

eli77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are many positions. The ones that take less training time are unlicensed. You have 3 departments:
- Deck (outside and inside the bridge)
- Engine (inside the engine room)
- Steward (working in the kitchen)

You can start as Ordinary Seaman (OS), Wiper and Steward Assistant (SA).
You can do short courses (less than a month) and get endorsements to work in those positions. You can make $8k/month on average.
After 6 months you can upgrade (to Able Seaman, Oiler and Cook). You can make around $375/day. Maybe more with bonuses.

If you join the Seafarers International Union, you can get training for free but their Unlicensed Apprentice course is long (consider it a year in total). But you'll be way more prepared. You can look for a local school out of your pocket for some basic training and go to a Union Hall (seafarers) and tell them that you want to join them and are ready to sail. Depending on the department, they'll call you in less than a month with a ship for you to work.

Having more sea time means you can do Coast Guard tests to get a license (and become an officer). Then you can make $20k/month.
Officers work 6 months per year. Unlicensed tend to work 8 months.

It's easy to get a job as an unlicensed. You go to your local union hall and there are dozens and dozens of ships you can choose from to work. Pick the one you're interested and that's it. You work there from 60-120 days and when you're done you can take as much times as you want to go back to a ship.
Please DM me

eli77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Try to join the navy in 09 couldn't get in due my eyesight. Handsome Florida Alaska is recruiting heavily you guys with no experience or signing up to go over there have you been to Alaska?