When the ' Being a man ' ideal goes too far.

Swoop

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to be a huge game addict, up until age 25. I play more games than anyone I know in person. I have gone days without sleep over games. I enjoy them very much. But one day I realized that games were my way of escape. Playing games allow me to forget the trouble of life. In the game, I had control. I was very good, I had pride and a false sense of accomplisment. Soon, my fantasy meet reality. The roots of my passion for games unraveled. I knew one day I had to escape this fantasy world and beat the reality world. And so I embark on a journey to level up my character, I am refering to myself in real life. I started weight training, got a job, became more social. Got a gf. Not much of accomplishments but felt better than before. I soon realize my passion for games diminished. I never thought I would out grow that phase. But I did. There is nothing wrong with having a passion for game, it's great entertainment, as long as it is a healthy passion. I only share my story because if I could go back I wouldn't have wasted so much time in games.

btw, if there is a good game out, I'll play it but for the most part, I have pretty much stop playing games.

Reaction score
Yeah, the last time a played a video game was when Earthbound came out.

TheInfamousCBear

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to play games and read comics and all of that, and I quit when I was 17...But the funny thing is, is that when I was in these hobbies, I was more relaxed with life because I was always entertained and there was something to look foward to all the time...Plus comic books helped develop my vocab when I was younger and the video games helped keep my mind sharp...Sometimes I wish I didnt quit because nowadays there really isnt that much to do besides go to bars and clubs unless you got alot of money so spend on an expensive hobby...Games/Comics/etc. are good because they are reasonably priced, the entertain, and they keep you out of trouble...Alot of people I know who got into trouble when they were younger didnt have any hobbies, and now they got jail records and sh1t...

Blowfish

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by brucevangeorge
You sound like a >12 year old, you soyed up hippie. Stop drinking that **** and grow up! Get into the gym and flush your body with hormones that make you be a MAN. Ever heard of testosterone? It's the ****!

I hate to be the one that tells the kid there's no Santa Claus, but THERE ISNT. There's no mario or yoshi either. If all of this seems a little harsh and insulting thats because it is. No one cares about Mario. You shouldn't care either. It's an obsession.

Yes it is.

Mario is a figment of some Korean guy's imagination. He is a character in a game. A puppet if you will, to be controlled by a character in the game. In the game you do missions and quests and collect imaginary $$$ and try to get some ass from that princess peach. All of this for the purpose of "fun".

But what it this fun for? So the developers can make money. Ooodles and Oodles of money all from you who sit in front of the computer mezmerized at how cool Mario is. Well he isnt, in fact he's not even Italian.

Mario is crap. Videogames are crap. Go outside get drunk or whatever you like to do, party, meet chicks, get laid and have fun. Get it together, you can do it.
I agree with most of what you say...

But I play video-games too...

Reaction score
I also play videogames, but they get very boring very fast. I only use them to relax after a tough workout when I cannot do anything, or anything else that stresses me out. (I dont own any games either.)

I used to play alot with my friends but I snapped out of it. Why? Because they really are pointless. Think about it, you are staring at this lighted screen, controlling a virtual character through a virtual world. Why? For what purpose? So you can get virtual money and junk? What good is it?

And after finishing the game, I really wasn't satisfied. The feeling of accomplishment wore off a couple of minutes after and then I realized I wasted a whole bunch of time, time I oculd have spent doing something and having real accomplishments.

Even as a hobby I do not see the point of videogames. They should be a last resort so you can avoid boredom... kinda like books.

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
*Sigh* I hate those idiots who think that "manly men" can only do certain things.

I like Elmer Fudd, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, RoadRunner, and Wile E. Coyote.

I like the Mickey Mouse Family, Goofy, Pluto, Peg-leg Pete, and the Duck Family.

Sometimes I even enjoy those Disney animated films.

I probably have a couple hundred Disney comic books.

I'm the biggest Mario and Zelda fan. Mario and Link are my heros. My favorite Mario game is either Super Mario 64 or Super Mario RPG. My favorite Zelda game would have to be The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time a.k.a. Zelda 64 (it was the first Zelda game for the N64).

I love the Banjo-Kazooie series. The third one is going to be for the XBOX 360, and that game alone just might make me buy the XBOX 360 (even if I can't play any other games I want on it).

I don't watch television, watch sports, or play sports.

I don't work out as much as I should.

Computers are the greatest thing since sliced bread. If I thought I could spare $8,000, I'd get the ultimate workstation in a heartbeat (Dual Opt. 254s, K8WE, 8GB PC3200R ECC, 2 x 146GB U320 15K 8M/RAID 1, Dual 7800GTX). If you know what that is, great. If not, just believe me when I say that's a very good computer.

But, I'm not so stupid as to think that in the big picture, those things are real. I certainly enjoy them, and there's no reason for me to think that will ever change. But there's definately more to life. I still enjoy going out and spending time with friends.

I don't think any of those things make me less of, or more of a man. A fat man in a wife-beater, jeans, and 50" belt sitting in his Laz-e-boy (tm) watching football while drinking his tenth beer is not more manly than I am (I'm not against beer at all, but I'm sure you get my point).

I believe that "being a man" has to do with attitude.

I'm interested in being the best man that I can be. When I pass people on the street, I want them to say "there goes a good man."

Integrity, being fair and being just means much more to being a man than what his hobbies are.

So is standing up for yourself, and standing for what you honestly believe is right, even if doing so puts you into the minority.

And in my personal opinion, not cheating and being a good family man. I may not have any children now, but if I do later I won't until I have a strong foundation (earning plenty of money, having plenty of money, owning a house and two motorcars, and so on). So in that sense I'm a family man right now.

And let's not forget: To also take charge and lead, and not to take others' crap. It's OK to be a nice guy, just not a "nice guy."

To summarize: To me, being a man is more to do with attitudes and some things that you do. Most things that you do or don't do don't affect whether you are a man or not. Whether you're talking about gamers, businessmen, rock climbers, football players, or sports enthusiasts, you're going to have your pussies, losers, *******s, and jerks.

Ben