when life won't cut you a break

joekerr31

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LoneSilver said:
You write the stuff that 99% of people are only using excuses for not being happy and you've been living on Running Smoothly and 3rd Street isn't so inspiring in my opinion unless you've been tested.

Your not living homeless or living in the Salvation Army homeless shelter with no money.... You don't know what hard times are when the chips are down unless one had lived through the darkest moments of hell
honestly, ive been through a lot. i didn't reply to your post because i was still thinking of what i wanted to say.

but i can tell you life has thrown a lot at me over the years and i've scrapped my way back into the game every time.

i don't believe in giving untested advice. the advice i give i believe in and i believe it comes from being tested.

the fact that i lost my fight for a day or two is human. it doesn't disqualify all of my past advice. it just means that i lost sight of many of the insights i've gained in my life.

and im thankful to all the guys on here who helped me regain perspective.

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm glad my post helped you see your reason for being down wasn't really justified especially not with that kind of money in the bank as it was almost a pitty party no one really deep down could believe as being a setback.

So basically you then were the 99% just finding an excuse to be unhappy for a day or two... I am glad your back to being happy... I get that way myself and I am the 1% with good reason for it that I will come to terms with in time.

Anyway, hang in there joekerr your to intelligent to let a small bump in the road get in the way of your happiness as you know then everything will work it's way out with a little persistance.

Peace

LoneSilver

joekerr31 said:
and im thankful to all the guys on here who helped me regain perspective.

Nighthawk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Glad you're feeling better Joe.

I was talking to an old lady the other day about positivity. Like she said 'Poor me, I got no shoes. Hey poorer me, I got no feet.'

But all the old 'there's always someone worse off/count your blessings' truisms don't always help when life really gets on top of you, or you actually do lose your feet. Then you have to get drunk for a bit, feel the crap and taste the bitterness, before heroically throwing off your troubles like Spider-Man does in that early Lee and Ditko issue when he's stuck under the big machine.

romangod

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
JoeKerr............... Where are you at with moving in with your mother? Have you made any firm decisions about weathering this storm?

joekerr31

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
romangod said:
JoeKerr............... Where are you at with moving in with your mother? Have you made any firm decisions about weathering this storm?
ya, im not going to move in with her unless its absolutely necessary. im going to bust my *ss this month and see what i can make develop.

the problem i have with moving back in with her is that its running from the problem. i mean, if she weren't around what would i do? whatever the answer to that question is, should also be the answer to what i do now - which is regain my fighting spirit, toss aside my pride and ego, and get out there and make something happen.

and if that means i have to take a part time job then so be it. my ego said 'come on man - you use to make 100k, you can't go back to making 30k.' - but if that's what I gotta do to get by, so be it.

but im goign to give myself a month before i start looking for a 'get by' job. im going to focus on trying to get a job im appropriately qualified for first.

if for some reason i'm totally screwed in 3-4 months and can't get anything anywhere, then i'll consider moving in with my mom. but i think if i really put my nose to the grind stone I won't have to go down that road.

joekerr31

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nighthawk said:
Glad you're feeling better Joe.

I was talking to an old lady the other day about positivity. Like she said 'Poor me, I got no shoes. Hey poorer me, I got no feet.'
one of the problems with working with a lot of people who have it good (ie. rich) is that its the grass is greener scenario. its VERY easy to feel bad for yourself when in actuality you don't have it nearly as bad as it could be - its only because you see others with so much more that you feel like you have so little.

i tell ya, i think growing up in white middle class canada / america messes your mind up as to what life is really about. it gets filled with the most absurd idiotic ideas about what life is all about.

and sometimes, like yesturday for me, even though you have adopted new life views, you slip back into the type of thinking that you grew up around.

its funny. suicide rates are actually higher in the richer countries than the poorer ones. the poor countries don't waste their life judging themselves against others. the 'grass is always greener' mind set can literally kill you if you let it.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
joekerr31 said:
its funny. suicide rates are actually higher in the richer countries than the poorer ones. the poor countries don't waste their life judging themselves against others. the 'grass is always greener' mind set can literally kill you if you let it.
poor in the wallet does not always equal poor in the heart.
my heart is full , therefore i am rich:)

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just want to say that I'm reading some of the best advice given on this forum, all here in this thread. I remember the following thread awhile back which had some absolute golden real-life motivational stories/fact:

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=133908

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never, Never, Never, Never give up." - Winston Churchill

joekerr31

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Bat said:
I just want to say that I'm reading some of the best advice given on this forum, all here in this thread. I remember the following thread awhile back which had some absolute golden real-life motivational stories/fact:

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=133908

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never, Never, Never, Never give up." - Winston Churchill

great link bat. very motivational!

hard to believe winston churchill was british - its rare to see a brit with an actual understanding of what drives the common man.

ElChoclo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can read a book by that pop philosopher Alain De Botton called "Status Anxiety". In your circumstances you will find it interesting. And when intelligent people get interested, they get distracted from their circumstances.

As you have no doubt worked out by now, if you divide your savings by your expenses, you have got a few years of "insurance" up your sleeve.

If things get too bad you could always think about moving to a Third World country like Bulgaria or Australia. They would probably consider you to be an international expert and you would be feted as a guru.

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lol, I wasn't aware that Australia is a third world country. A bit cynical, are we?

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I haven't read too far into the thread, but if you've got 110K saved in the bank, my heart fucking bleeds for you.

Don't get me wrong, your posts have been great, and you've given tons of great advice.

I mean, I saw the title and expected some horrible disaster like being in prison for a crime you didn't commit, or something like that. I suppose my idea of "life won't cut you a break" is on a whole 'nother level.

But now you need a boot in the ass!

If I had 110K of real money -- not borrowed at some exorbitant interest rate -- I'd become a millionaire within a matter of a few years, and it would grow and grow from there.

Very few people have that kind of money to work with. An acquaintance of mine bought a 1.75M apartment building for 1.25M with about 50K down, and got more than that in security deposits from the tenants straight away! It's amazing what one can do with that sort of money... And to have gotten there, you must be sensible and disciplined, unless it was from some sort of windfall!

If you want to invest in some Detroit area property and make a killing, I'm game. Hell, for a smallish cut, I'd just find and oversee the properties. PM me. I'm not kidding. It's like shooting fish in the proverbial barrel -- for those who have the money!

You've got time and a good mind. Investigate your options. And turn this "misfortune" into an opportunity.

bsthatcher

Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't get upset when I say this, but I'm one of the older members...

My advise is to leave the site.

Man, you've posted here so much. Do you realize how much you could accomplish if you put the effort into something else rather than posting here as much as you do? Maybe whatever problems you have could be fixed with that extra time. I spent a bit of time here too... and I've noticed that since having one less thing to worry about I've gotten more done as I used to. I'm sure that everyone sticks around since they think a magic bullet is going to pop up in some thread someday. Just realize now: It's not 'gonna happen! Most people here already have all the info they'll ever need. Time to leave.

Seriously, think about it...

joekerr31

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bsthatcher said:
Don't get upset when I say this, but I'm one of the older members...

My advise is to leave the site.

Man, you've posted here so much. Do you realize how much you could accomplish if you put the effort into something else rather than posting here as much as you do?
i have thought about it, but honestly i don't spend that much time here. while it may seem that way its only a few minutes a day.

joekerr31

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
FYI guys - i think i've got a job (its pretty much a go - just need to sign the contract next week).

not the dream job, but its a good job that pays well!

romangod

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
joekerr31 said:
FYI guys - i think i've got a job (its pretty much a go - just need to sign the contract next week).

not the dream job, but its a good job that pays well!

Good for you! :yes: Everything is starting to work out and yet you had a chance to grow as a person through this brief chapter in your life. I wish you luck.