When employers ask "Tell me about yourself?" how do you respond?

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you go with a more personal approach such as hobbies, likes, traveling, etc.

a more professional such as accomplishments, past jobs, hobbies, etc.

or a combination?

i feel like this is a tough question but i maybe thinking too much.

EA Gold

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Also like to throw this out there.

When they ask why are you leaving your current job?

thats a little tough one i would say.

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A question like this is really asking you to sell yourself.

In one big paragraph you need to mention your previous experiences, relevent skills and goals as it pertain to the job you applied for as well as for the reason why you choose this job and company.

E

Energizer

I always respond to that by saying I'm seeking a new challenge in a new job with new people. It works like a charm.

WaterTiger

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The company doesn't give a fcuk about your hobbies, your family or what your dog's name is. They care about WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR THEM!

*Tell them how you saved your last company money.
*Tell them how you did on your last employee review (if it was good)
*Tell them how you increased sales
*Tell them about your MANY business contacts & networking skills.

The question that always threw me was:
"Tell me about your biggest flaw!"

You can't say "I don't have any!" because that makes you sound like an arrogant ass or just a liar.

You have to take a negative and make it sound good :

"I have a tendency to be a workaholic. I hate to fail at anything and I keep pushing till I get the job done."

I'm sure the other guys here can give similar examples.

Julius_Seizeher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Once, I was hired for a writing job by walking into the editors office and throwing a folder on his desk.

Another time, I was promoted to outside salesman by having business cards made and cold calling on commercial construction companies. When I brought my first set of blueprints in for a quote, the owner said, "I didn't know you were my salesman," to which I replied "I must've forgot to tell you."

Recently, I arranged a retail distributorship between a maker of popcorn and a substantial grocery chain in the midwest. While representing my practice at a special needs convention, I met a young man with Down Syndrome and Autism who had started a flavored popcorn business. So motivated was I by his story, that I was inspired to help him grow his business. So I went to the corporate headquarters of the grocer, got myself in front of the CEO, and pitched him on the benefits of doing business with my new associate. And he picked up what I was putting down.

But what's really exciting, is that I haven't even got started yet. I am in the process of getting licensed as a financial advisor with an international financial juggernaut offering an array of services so vast I can barely comprehend it. Finally, a company big enough to fulfill my destiny. I will manifest a career so profoundly awesome that I will be a legend of my industry; competitors will shrink at the mention of my name, women will swoon as they drive by my billboards, I will be the greatest advisor in my company, I will use part of my wealth to capitalize new businesses in my community.

I have foreseen it, and I realize it a little bit, a day at a time.

Anyway...

To answer your question, you must show them AMBITION. Are you a desk-riding and clock-punching, as my grandmother sais, "bump on a log"?

Or are you a bold, imaginative, ingenuitive, take the bull by the horns badass with an insane desire to succeed, like me?

Show them AMBITION.
Show them INITIATIVE.
Show them YOU MAKE IT HAPPEN.

In your mind should not be "I need more money". In your mind should be "how can I be of more service, how can I be invaluable to my employer?"

Also, WaterTiger's more technical post is highly apt. She sounds like a hot cougar, I want to have sex with her.

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They're interviewing you in terms of the type of employee you would be if they hire you, why the fvck would they be asking about your hobbies or where you wanna travel??!

Talk about your qualifications that are pertinent to the job - your education, your past work experience, your transferable skills. Blow your own horn without coming across arrogant. You should have this 1-2 minute speech memorized before going to the interview.

And as far as tell me your biggest flaw, don't BS by saying something positive and "pretending" it's a flaw. Instead something you can do to your benefit is talk about a flaw you learned you had through past work experience. Relate that past experience and objectively tell what you learned. Example: I used to overestimate my abilities and when I worked at blah blah blah I didn't realize it until this happened and I had to do this and this. It was a wakeup call and because of that experience, I strive to do this and this to make sure I don't make that kind of mistake again.

Luthor Rex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Julius_Seizeher said:
Or are you a bold, imaginative, ingenuitive, take the bull by the horns badass with an insane desire to succeed, like me?

Show them AMBITION.
Show them INITIATIVE.
Show them YOU MAKE IT HAPPEN.

In your mind should not be "I need more money". In your mind should be "how can I be of more service, how can I be invaluable to my employer?"
Don't forget to keep in your mind "how can I be a slave?"

Seems like you have that down pretty well.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Questions like that are stupid. They should ask you something specific. I could go on forever telling someone about myself.

WaterTiger

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Julius_Seizeher said:
Also, WaterTiger's more technical post is highly apt. She sounds like a hot cougar, I want to have sex with her.
I'll have this printed on a t-shirt!

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i'm going to go with watertiger's approach, i've done it before so it's just about prepping for it. My interview is around 5pm eastern. I'll let u guys know how it goes.

Julius_Seizeher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Luthor Rex said:

Ahh, the oldest proletarian tradition. Give me something for nothing.

Perhaps I am wrong to operate under the assumption that everyone else is as ambitious as I am, that everyone else wants to be rich and contribute to the greater prosperity of man as well.

It isn't about being a slave. It's about CREATING. Creating opportunity, creating wealth, creating a destiny for yourself...

Or I could be a bitter pvssy flipping boogers at a computer screen while guys like Julius Seizeher are out conquering the world.

Nah, seems like you have that down pretty well:cool: .

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Luthor Rex said:

You're right.

I believe it's a trade off, obviously all employers are looking for slave workers that will dedicate their life to the company at all costs but they know they might not always find a worthy candidate to fill that position. That's like asian style and culture(especially the japanese). American's are about doing the sufficient amount of work while progressing forward with their own personal goals. you do that by:

Compromise.

Basically what i'm going to do is get what i need out of the company whether it be money, experience, relationships, and bounce. I may be at the company for 2 years or 20 years but once i feel i can move on to a better place, i will. I'll do it in a professional way as to not build an animosity toward me. But i don't plan on being a slave for any company. I will work hard and try to advance as well as learn as much as possible.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
just got destroyed. This was definately the hardest interview out of the 20 something i've had. The interview grilled the sh!t out of me and even when i answered the questions to the best of my capabilities he asked me for more. Did not do well and bombed 1 or 2 questions.

Any idea's to increase my chances?

My friend told me to send a direct e-mail reiterating my strengths and explaining my weakness's as well as ask for another chance while confirming my interests with the company. Basically beg and apologize.

Last edited:

ENIGMA16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everyone here should pick up the book Sweaty Palms. It is probably the best book on learning to give a good interview.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is my thank you letter where i try to make up for my weakness's during the interview. Let me know if you think it needs improvement. I'm probably sending it tomorrow morning.

Dear Mr. ______,

It was a pleasure speaking with you over the phone during our interview yesterday. I enjoyed talking about the position and Company's name in general and what company’s clients actually look for when considering a project. From our conversation I was able to learn more about what the position encompasses and although I did discuss some of my qualifications I believe I have much more to contribute to the position then we had a chance to talk about. (the phone interview went about 9 minutes long and he asked the "tell me about yourself question")

During our conversation yesterday I talked about some past projects I have completed such as the Point of Sales(POS) implementation proposal and the PayPal Webpage introduction for Polaris’s clients. Also with my most recent position at GET Lifestyle Consulting I have developed presentations, brochures, and used my networking skills to market the business to potential and existing clients (did alright here). Although we talked briefly about network infrastructures(i ****ing bombed this part. i had no idea what he meant when he said network infrastructure but after i looked it up i actually know a decent amount since i set up my home network which is comprised of 6 plus computers), my understanding of the topic at the time was not clear until I researched it later. I am familiar with network infrastructures and understand how they work and how certain database systems/computers link together through routers, switches, and hubs to form a network. Among my organizational, planning, and creative thinking skills that I can provide to Company, my education and internships have helped me develop skills in the financial side of business as well (he said he knew i didn't have technical expertise but asked what kind of financial skills i could bring, i basically told him about all the past projects i did so i wanted to emphasize here my financial skills). All projects need budget forecasting for potential earnings or savings, ROI(return on investment) calculations, and your basic accounting needs such as bookkeeping and data entry. These are also some skill set’s that I possess that would make me a great candidate for this position but I believe it is my never give up attitude and my ability to adapt to any environment I enter that makes me the perfect candidate. I am a fast learner, easy to get along with, and if given the opportunity I can show you why there isn’t a problem I can’t solve with hard work, determination, a strong resolution.

I would like to thank you again Mr. _____ for your time yesterday and confirm my interests in Company and the Project Associate position. I look forward to hearing from you to discuss more in depth about what I can bring to Company and your table.

Sincerely,

AAAgent

CGE333

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to struggle with this question the same as you are- is work related, personal related info, etc...

In today's job market if you are going after a good job the competition is fierce. I would go with setting myself up to be different than other candidates. When asked the tell me about yourself question here is how I respond:

I confirm they have a copy of my resume and let them know we can definitely go thru it company by company if they want and then (before they respond) I'll say something like: "In addition to the types of things that normally get put on a resume or placed in a job ad, I'm guessing there are some other skills you are looking for"... I then say, "For example I am guessing you are looking for someone that can _______, _________, and _______ (customize these to make them relative to the position). After you have listed a few, ask them- "does that sound close to what you are looking for?" They will say yes... You then say, "we'll those are the types of things that have enabled my success so far, and that's what I would bring to your organization."

If you hit on key skills/knowledge that are relevant to the position, you have immediately set yourself apart in a good way with the hiring manager and shown that you have a good grasp of what the job entails and you have the skills to get the job done.

Desert Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why the fvck did you abbreviate stuff like POS and ROI or whatever the fvck you abbreviated WHEN YOU DID NOT EVEN USE THE GODDAMN ABBREVIATIONS LATER IN YOUR LETTER??

BLOWS MY FVCKIN MIND.

If I read your e-mail I'd be like "wtf is he doing abbreviating this useless sh1t? he's probably like those useless fvcks I knew back in school that pretended to know stuff but didn't" :down:

WaterTiger

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you remember some of the harder questions? If you do please post them so we can discuss the best answers for them and hopefully help some one else out.

Sisyphus7

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've had some strange interview questions...
"Are you a risk taker?"
"tell me a time when you took a risk at work?"
"Tell me about your biggest flaw?" is a tough one
I had one chipper guy keep asking me "are you having fun!" "are you feeling happy!?" during an interview.