When a girl talks about ex-BFs, guys she dated, etc.

TVman

Reaction score
I'm friends with this girl, we've hung out a bunch of times and had fun, but usually with other people too...interest may be there, I'm not sure. One thing I notice about her though is she likes to bring up things about guys she used to date when it comes up in conversation. Like we'll be talking about truck drivers and she'll say "Oh, my ex was a truck driver," or she'll complain about BFs she used to have, the oldest guys she's dated. Sometimes it's relevant to the convo, sometimes she almost just throws it out there.

Is there anything to be deduced from this or am I trying to read too much into it? I thought maybe she's trying to increase her value in my eyes, to make me think "Oh, this girl must be desirable if she's dated a lot of guys." This girl is pretty average in the looks department. She might be "cute" to some guys but most probably wouldn't pay her much attention, especially not in L.A. Her personality though is a winner, she's pretty outgoing, likes to be one of the guys and joke around and all that though.

MisterMcGee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ask her out and stop thinking she's trying to take charge. She won't take charge unless you set the path for her and open the door - ask her out.
Her talking about 'whatever' shouldn't be something you think about unless you've already set the terms of your relationship between you and her. Right now you're friends - anything goes.

E

Energizer

If a girl brings up her past boyfriend's, ONS' or FWB's, it means one of two things.

1. She is testing to see how much you like her, if you show jealously she'll know you like you and of course she wants to see if you are confident and not insecure.

2. You're nothing more than a friend and have been well and truly friend-zoned.

TVman

Reaction score
Well, I did ask her out to go ice skating this weekend because she mentioned how much she wanted to go last week...unfortunately I didn't know that she'd also mentioned this to other friends of her's earlier, so it could be just us skating or us and other friends of her's. I'm gonna see how that goes, if it goes all right I'll ask her to dinner or something. I got this :rockon:

Vypros

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
She's in high school, right?

Or still in her teens or damn close to it.

This is a trait of younger girls. And I think it's a mark of insecurity on their part, or immaturity of sorts. The older women get, the less they tend to talk about ex-boyfriends unless it's completely relevant to the conversation or you ask about them.

Sir_Turtle

Don Juan
Reaction score
In highschool and undergrad in college having a boyfriend or girl friend is still something of a social status symbol. If you're still in this stage of life she my just be immature,selfish, and arrogant..

instead of trying to figure out how she's trying to manipulate you just assume the most obvious until you've reason to believe otherwise. Right now you're giving her too much credit.

TVman

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...

She's 25. Whenever she brings up her ex's though it's in a group setting, never when we're talking one on one. Maybe I'm trying to read too much into it...

drtk

Don Juan
Reaction score
TVman said:
She's 25. Whenever she brings up her ex's though it's in a group setting, never when we're talking one on one. Maybe I'm trying to read too much into it...
This. It's not even important for your interests. Besides, if you start wondering these kinda things even before this relationship goes anywhere, you can't aspire to something stable. As soon as you beggin to be jelaous with young HBs, it's almost always over. Either she'll break up with you or you are pusshing her into some other dude's arms.

Energizer said:
If a girl brings up her past boyfriend's, ONS' or FWB's, it means one of two things.

1. She is testing to see how much you like her, if you show jealously she'll know you like herand of course she wants to see if you are confident and not insecure.

2. You're nothing more than a friend and have been well and truly friend-zoned.
Energizer is right on the money, depending on how you play these kinda sittuations, the results you get. I once got confused because of this HB that would talk to me almost only about her BF, I played that **** right without even noticing and she started to cheat to him with me. If you wish you know a little more details, check out Girl #1 of this post out of my journal. I see where you're coming from. Play it good and get the girl. Hope I was of help.