Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Whats with all the text messaging?

echo1212

Banned
Reaction score
My rant for the day is this. As I have been here awhile and have seen people come and go, i have noticed a disturbing and increasing trend---text messaging. My question is why? To me it is an out just to avoid social contact with a girl because they dont actually have to see you in person or hear your voice if you call them. Its just like instant messaging someone on the computer, which is also lame in most cases.

I see many many guys on here saying I texted her to set up a date or to confirm or to say hi or whatever, and to me it just screams afc. Like I said, it makes you look like less of a man because i know if I was a girl and some guy text messaged me to ask me out, I'd say the guy was too chicken to do it face to face. Also, it leaves things wayyyy to much in the girls hands. If you call her, she has to respond, if you see her, she has to respond, hell, even if you are chatting on the computer its pretty hard for her to just stop talking, unless she claims her computer crashed or something. But when you text a girl on the cell, there are so many ways a girl could diss you. She could say her cell wasnt on, she didnt get the message, she sent one back but you must not have gotten it, etc. To me, its just not DJ to text. Can you imagine James Bond or Brad Pitt TMing a girl to ask her out or whatever? Hell no!!

So lets all make a pact, no more text messaging, it will help on your quest to becoming a dj. That is all. Discuss.

NYC Dude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can imagine James Bond doing that, except it would be some fancy-shmancy cell phone with lasers and rockets and everything else you could ever want that he would be using to text message with. But seriously, unless you're in a library or someplace where you can't talk loudly/at all, and since you have a cell phone for the texting, why the fvck can't you just call them instead?

Jay26

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I hate it, everyone txt's nowdays no one ever calls, it takes me ten times longer to say **** on sms then by calling, what's the point of the phone if no one ever uses it to talk? We might as well just all get sms-machines instead.

Still, those video phones are catching on now, that's going to make things interesting;)

echo1212

Banned
Reaction score
Very true. I totally forgot about the fact that it takes 5 mintues to write out a complete sentence on a cell phone instead of just calling her up and saying the same thing-which takes 15 seconds. Again, what is the point?

WatchMeWalk

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It's just one of those stupid cellphone fads that are all the rage among materialistic people.

Blaaaaat

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It's a new accepted form of communication. Accept it, or accept that you're getting old and can't keep up with the new technologies.

elvis aint dead yet

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
That's the way it is.

Seems tooo many people on this site can't face the fact that they are aging and getting older.

Either you were once young and hip when you joined this site or you just hate everybody and the new hip technology.

Sad fact is, many of these new technologies make the world slower, rather then faster.

And from knowing many people, young and old alike, it's the way it is, get used to it. I remember when very few people had cell phones, and the same thing was said about them. Some people on this site even NEXTed a girl if she only gave them their cell phone. Sad fact is, today, I know many people who don't even have a HOme phone anymore. THey just have a cell phone.

And now with james bond like cell phones with camera's in them, games, the net, pdas, its the way the new world is.

Either you accept that fact or become one of those dinosaurs. Yeah you'll get your play, but gradually people will be looking at you as the weird one, not the other way around.

You don't have to like the new technology, but accept the fact, it's the way it is, always has been, and always will be.

BUt i do agree, it takes longer to type a text message then just to call. But the world is becomming a very impersonal place.

Why do you think the internet , text messaging, voice mail, and instant messaging and message boards have become so popular.

Our world is changing into a very anti-social climate. Go to many shopping markets and stores in my area, and they don't even have cashiers or check out people any more, they have automatic machines you scan yourself and then pay yourself. No human interaction at all.

Sad fact is, it's not the AFC or the evil people who did this, we all did. Too many grumpy people make shopping or eating or doing whatever a miserable experience.

WHy the impersonal techonology is taking over is simple, most people would rather not deal with arrogant and grumpy waiters, cashiers, etc.

Accept it, hate it, do whatever, just remember, it's only gonna get worse.

Piso

Reaction score
I used to use text messaging quite a bit - with girls and boys - when I was about 14. Now, I haven't used texted anyone in months. It's useless, really. Some might like to use texts just to make life more convenient, but I doubt they'd be the mainstay of anyone's communication anyway, no matter how young or socially disabled.

echo1212

Banned
Reaction score
Blaaaat, I didnt know that new and improved technology involved sitting there like an idiot typing in letter after letter that takes untold minutes instead of actually "calling" someone in 5 seconds or actually seeing them face to face like an actual human being.

IMO texting is for 12 year old girls and boys who are too shy or immature to actually look someone in the eye or have them hear your voice with its many inflections and nuances. I thought new technolgy was supposed to speed up the communication process between two people, not slow it down. As someone heavily involved in the tech industry and the stock market, I can personally tell you that text messaging is just a way for the large mobile carriers like MCI and Verizon to make a buck of impressionable young teenies. I would hope that no mature DJ would resort to that kind of stuff to actually "get" a girl. Go away young boy.

Last edited:

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
Originally posted by elvis aint dead yet
WHy the impersonal techonology is taking over is simple, most people would rather not deal with arrogant and grumpy waiters, cashiers, etc.

Accept it, hate it, do whatever, just remember, it's only gonna get worse.
How are you expected to learn social skills if you "don't want to deal" with people??

In other words, people who talk to girls and set up dates via text messaging are doing so because they "don't want to deal" with women. They don't want to take the time and effort to learn to interact with them face-to-face. That's consistent with two things: fear and laziness. Neither of these are characteristics of a "Don Juan."

It's so much easier to face a "date not found" from a computer screen than deal with an in-person rejection.

Not to mention the fact that it is SO easy for people to lie to/mislead others when you can't see their faces or even hear their voices.

Do you really want to deal with someone who you will be sharing body-fluids with, and possibly many years of your life with, in this manner?

Technology is good, but not when it relieves you of the "burden" of learning how to deal with people.

elvis aint dead yet

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice claim that you work in the whole mecca of "technology"

As i said, text messaging is annoying and time consuming.

But there have been numerous occassions involving computers and other new technology that seems to have slowed down society, rather then speed it up. Be it computers or what not, sometimes computers can be slower then good old pen and paper. But thats not the way society is anymore. Get used to it.

I'd rather talk on the phone or face to face with people. But in reality, it's becoming a world that isn't working like that.

As i said, text messaging is a waste of time, but there are many twenty and thirty and forty year olds who use it.

Text messaging will probably be another fad like beepers were a few years back, hopefully that is the case.

But many people once claimed computers were just a "nerd" fad. And for many years, most of the people who used computers were considered geeks and nerds and losers.

Now geez, jocks, prom kings and queens, lawyers, doctors, writers, dancers, and even the DJs on this site use computers and the net, or else, you would'nt have found this site.

Then cell phones. Too big, too annoying, too expensive. Now many people don't even have home phones. THey just use cell phones. I for one do not have a home phone. What's the point. I'm never home and it's easier to contact me through my cell phone.

But hopefully text messaging falls by the wayside, if not, don't collect your hatred and claim its some afc way to communicate.

Many meetings in the technology sector now are on conference calls or Net meetings.

Easier to communicate with the world online. And it sure as hell is a lot cheaper then a company paying for employees to fly somewhere for a wasteful meeting.

You should get out and talk to people face to face, problem is, why do you think the Net has become a mecca for dating sites.

Bars become old after a few years. Same crowd, same girls. ANd if you live in a somewhat small area, you already slept or dissed most of the girls at these bars. What's the point of going to see the same ones.

echo1212

Banned
Reaction score
Your missing my point elvis. I have no qualms with the internet, computers, cell phones, etc. These are all wonderful creations. However, have you ever tried to text message anyone on a cellphone? Im not talking IMing on a computer. I mean a cell. It is time consuming, boring, sometimes dificult, mainly just plain dumb. I mean what is the point? If the person you are trying to reach has their cell phone turned on, isnt it much simpler and faster and more personal to just CALL them rather then wait all that time writing something out, waiting for a response, wondering if they even have text messaging on their cell, wondering if they will text back, need I go on? Its simple. It goes like this.

You "Hey Stella, whats up?
Her "Not much. you?"
You Oh, just wondering if you want to hang out on Friday, how about 7?"
Her Sure, sounds great, its a date!"

Now, is that so hard? Or would you rather type all of that out and hope you get a response? Comn, use some dj common sense.

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee

Originally posted by elvis aint dead yet
You should get out and talk to people face to face, problem is, why do you think the Net has become a mecca for dating sites.
Because people are unsuccessful in real-life dating, but instead of working on their appearance, attitude, social skills, ambitions, etc, they just go on the Internet and find other people who were unsuccessful and desperate for companionship.

Does it work? Yes. Is it "Don Juan"? No.

It's a crutch. That's all it is...for people too lazy to learn to walk.

Sure it has its benefits when you're talking about paying for airfare or long distance or some other alternative and you need to save money for business/personal expenses, but in reality, you would ALWAYS rather meet in person.

Do you realize the wealth of visual and auditory cues you lose in a conference call? I was on a conference call a couple weeks ago where a software vendor was trying to pitch their product, and we were basically sitting there laughing amongst ourselves about how inadequate the product was for our needs, but we didn't want to tell THEM that, so we just left the speakerphone on "mute" and then politely responded when it was our turn.

Do you want to communicate with a potential girlfriend/lover like that?

mr bum bum

Reaction score
Great post echo.

Im kind of a newbie here when it comes to posting, but i have followed the forum for awhile. To me this is one of the best posts I"ve seen on here. Actual advice on what not to do. I have a friend who happens to be a girl and one day i was sitting with her at our local bar and she received a text asking her out from some guy she had met the week before. Her reply was if the guy doesn't even have the guts to ask me in person or over the phone, thats no one I would want to date. Its just so juvinille. So my advice would be to listen to echo, sounds like hes onto something good here.

silverwex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi all.

Well over here in Ireland and the UK we usually text girls first for a while before we ring them. Its massive over here - and its the main form of communication amongst young peope. I dont think its as big over in america.

Just to summarise: Texting is massive in europe and its normal to text girls first, then after a while you phone em up.

mr bum bum

Reaction score
Again though, look at your age and your friends age. Texting is for kids. Mature djs need not apply to such shananagins.

myfriendblu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by echo1212
My rant for the day is this. As I have been here awhile and have seen people come and go, i have noticed a disturbing and increasing trend---text messaging. My question is why? To me it is an out just to avoid social contact with a girl because they dont actually have to see you in person or hear your voice if you call them. Its just like instant messaging someone on the computer, which is also lame in most cases.

Hey,
As many of you have noticed, there are alot of european posters here, especially from the UK. Unlike here in the states like u and me, cell phone calls in europe, especially the UK, are hella expensive right now. Its not like here, where you get all kinds of incentives and free nights/weekends and thousands of minutes for 30-40 bucks. In the UK, talking on a cell phone is VERY pricey, so most people opt for text messaging because its cheap. It has NOTHING to do with being an AFC.

silverwex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
myfriendblu: too true.

As said already, its a european thing. absolutely NOTHING to do with being an AFC

echo1212

Banned
Reaction score
Well, believe what you want, but it is afc and as long as you persist in using it, you are afc's my friend. Get some social skills and learn how to communicate face to face or at least on the phone. I once dated a girl who told me when she lived in France she used to do it, when she was 15. I asked her why she didnt do it now, shes 22 btw, and she responded that it just was extremely lame and accomplished nothing. Not to metnion I would have to say that by the time you got done texting back and forth all of the time, the expense of that would be equal to or greater than one 5 minute phone call. Please, come up with something better. Discuss.