Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Whats up with the obsessive trend of getting big

foreverAFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
zekko said:
While that admittedly looks like fun, those scenes always bugged me. It seems like you wouldn't want to be filling your lungs with smoke while you were lifting, seems like it would compromise your respiratory function, you know? I've never vaporized anything though, so I can't speak to that.
when i was smoking from bongs and pipes and whatnot, i was able to lift and workout just fine. i was doing boxing and muay thai at the time and my cardio only got better. then i switched to the vape which is much cleaner, so no issues at all, there is no combustion, the material is just heated up so you inhale a light misty vapor.

Jaylan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
foreverAFC said:
how is it wrong? i was lifting only on fridays and doing judo/jiu jitsu twice a week, and i still got gains from lifting once a week for an hour. you could say it was the judo/jiu jitsu sessions that also helped, but judo and jiu jitsu training alone doesnt really develop hypertrophy in muscles, especially if you have done it for years and your body is already used to it. most regular bodybuilding split routines are only hitting each muscle group once a week anyway, so if you do a full body workout once a week and hit everything at once its really not all that different. i dont look like a bodybuilder, but im noticeably in shape, enough that women notice. it quality not quantity.
Minimal gains.

This thread is about people trying to get big. Hell, even if your goal wasnt to get big, and it was just to sufficiently train your entire body once a week, an hour a week wouldnt cut it. Thats not enough time to cause adequate hypertrophy to your muscle groups.

Maybe a complete sedentary noob who has never really lifted with make a few gains with an hour a week, but after a few workouts, hes gonna have to do a lot more working out. My leg day alone takes me 90 minutes minimum. There is no way one hour a week of full body training can compare to 4 split training days of 90 minute workouts. Full body training can compare when you put in a similar amount of time...but you didnt say that...you originally said solely an hour a week.

And btw, I can say for a fact that your martial arts training plays a huge role into your fitness and physique. So its disingenuous for you to have ever said an hour a week of training is enough. Even doctors and trainers dont tell people once a week of exercise at minimum. They usually wanna see 2-3 times a week at minimum for the average person.

foreverAFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jaylan said:
Minimal gains.

This thread is about people trying to get big. Hell, even if your goal wasnt to get big, and it was just to sufficiently train your entire body once a week, an hour a week wouldnt cut it. Thats not enough time to cause adequate hypertrophy to your muscle groups.
well, you may not get the best gains possible, but yes you can get gains and get in shape with training once a week. if you are going to complete failure and increasing weights, then your body will have to adapt.

here is an older guy going doing a 10 minute full body workout, and he has decent hypertrophy in his muscles for a natural guy his age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVhhbC51_3k

would he be even bigger if he lifted more, probobly, but the fact is he looks in better shape than most people with only 10 minutes. all im saying is that even 1 hour per week can be enough to change your body if you do it correctly, im not saying its ideal or best. its just that guys who say that dont want to spend hours in the gym every day to look decent have no excuse in my opinion.

Jaylan said:
Maybe a complete sedentary noob who has never really lifted with make a few gains with an hour a week, but after a few workouts, hes gonna have to do a lot more working out. My leg day alone takes me 90 minutes minimum. There is no way one hour a week of full body training can compare to 4 split training days of 90 minute workouts. Full body training can compare when you put in a similar amount of time...but you didnt say that...you originally said solely an hour a week.
just cause it takes you 90 minutes to train your legs, it doesnt mean everyone else needs to do the same. if it takes you that long, maybe you need to increase your intensity or find more effective ways of working out. why is it taking you that long? do you mind telling me your routine?

Jaylan said:
And btw, I can say for a fact that your martial arts training plays a huge role into your fitness and physique. So its disingenuous for you to have ever said an hour a week of training is enough. Even doctors and trainers dont tell people once a week of exercise at minimum. They usually wanna see 2-3 times a week at minimum for the average person.
like i said, grappling alone doesnt produce the type of hypertrophy that weight lifting does, look at all the gracie jiu jitsu guys, they were skinny as hell despite grappling hours per day, every single day. in fact the grappling sessions are detrimental to gaining muscle because of all the calories that are lost during training. it keeps me slim and fast and trains my cardio, but its doesnt really build muscle.

TheStig

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The whole premise of the original post is depressing. 'What's up with the obsession of getting big?' Really?

:confused:

Jaylan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
foreverAFC said:
well, you may not get the best gains possible, but yes you can get gains and get in shape with training once a week. if you are going to complete failure and increasing weights, then your body will have to adapt.
Of course if youve never lifted before and were sedentary, you can get "some" gains working out only an hour a week. Buts its very minimal compared to what you could get working out 4 hours a week or more.

here is an older guy going doing a 10 minute full body workout, and he has decent hypertrophy in his muscles for a natural guy his age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVhhbC51_3k

would he be even bigger if he lifted more, probobly, but the fact is he looks in better shape than most people with only 10 minutes. all im saying is that even 1 hour per week can be enough to change your body if you do it correctly, im not saying its ideal or best. its just that guys who say that dont want to spend hours in the gym every day to look decent have no excuse in my opinion.
Oh please. You really think thats such a good physique? Sorry but he looks like a regular bloke to me. And the ten minute workout shows that. Hes not in terrible shape, but I dont buy that he only works out for ten minutes either. It defies all the proven material on fitness out there.

I wish people would stop buying into lazy workout out routines that promise you can transform your body with only minutes a day exercising. It doesnt work like that.

just cause it takes you 90 minutes to train your legs, it doesnt mean everyone else needs to do the same. if it takes you that long, maybe you need to increase your intensity or find more effective ways of working out. why is it taking you that long? do you mind telling me your routine?
Im saying that to get strong legs and a really healthy lower body, you will NOT get that from only working your whole body once a week for just an hour. How much time does that even leave you to train your legs each week? Most people working out only an hour a week will most likely do weak leg training for maybe 20 minutes. That wont do much for them. Im not saying that everyone should do 90 minutes or do exactly what I do. Im saying they should at least dedicate an hour a week to some form of lower body training.

Have you ever done a true leg workout? Or a true conditioning workout for your lower body? I combine bodybuilding with my soccer training. Ill run off everything for you, and mind you each exercise I do a warmup set with half the weight (so 4 total sets)

- 10 minute stationary bike warmup, follow by 3 sets of 15 bodyweight jump squats to warm up the legs. Half of each set is down up to a platform to train my explosive jumps.
- wide stance hack squats....3 sets to failure, 8 to 12 reps.
- close stand 45 degree incline legs press....3 sets to failure, 8 to 12 reps.
- leg extensions.....3 sets to failure, 8 to 12 reps.
- prone hamstring curls....3 sets to failure, 8 to 12 reps.
- seated hamstring curls....3 sets to failure, 8 to 12 reps.
- seated straight leg calf raises ...3 sets to failure, 10 to 15 reps.
- bent knee calf raises....3 sets to failure, 10 to 15 reps.
- glute kick backs...3 sets to failure, 8 to 12 reps.
- glute pushdowns with the assist dip machine...3 sets to failure, 8 to 12 reps. (this exercise I use one leg to pressdown the platform)

If my legs arent killed, I will do a few sets of sprints as hard as I can. If Im too tired, I save it for the morning.

Now tell me, how in the world can I do that, and sufficiently train my legs in under 90 minutes, while giving my muscles the rest they need between sets. I like to train and make strong every single part of my legs...as well as do a bit of conditioning that will help me play soccer. But leg day is mostly for strength. And Im not a huge guy either...I just train to keep my legs strong and fit.
like i said, grappling alone doesnt produce the type of hypertrophy that weight lifting does, look at all the gracie jiu jitsu guys, they were skinny as hell despite grappling hours per day, every single day. in fact the grappling sessions are detrimental to gaining muscle because of all the calories that are lost during training. it keeps me slim and fast and trains my cardio, but its doesnt really build muscle.
Thats still a form of exercise...aka... youre NOT only exercising 1 hour a week. So its disingenuous to push the statement you did earlier. And lets be real here...you dont even really lift...so you cannot really tell anyone that an hour a week or minutes a day will be enough to truly stay fit or make the gains they want.

If you are limiting your exercise frequency to once a week, then you basically only have intensity and volume to play with, and there is only so much intensity and volume you can add to one short workout session within a week.

Michele l'Arcangelo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
foreverAFC said:
One weird trick to simply add pounds of muscle by working out 10 minutes once a week!

Trainers HATE him!
Bodybuilders DESPISE him!
Boyfriends are JEALOUS of him!

foreverAFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jaylan said:
Oh please. You really think thats such a good physique? Sorry but he looks like a regular bloke to me. And the ten minute workout shows that. Hes not in terrible shape, but I dont buy that he only works out for ten minutes either. It defies all the proven material on fitness out there.
compared to most people yes, he is probably in better shape than skinnyguy and he is definitely in better shape than the majority of people out there., you are forgetting that we are suffering an epidemic of obesity in this country. he may not look great compared to arnold or a pro bodybuilder, but id say even 80 percent of the male population out there isnt even on this guys level.

Jaylan said:
I wish people would stop buying into lazy workout out routines that promise you can transform your body with only minutes a day exercising. It doesnt work like that.
im no promoting lazy routines, im trying to convince lazy people that they dont need hours a day in the gym to see improvements.

Jaylan said:
- 10 minute stationary bike warmup, follow by 3 sets of 15 bodyweight jump squats to warm up the legs. Half of each set is down up to a platform to train my explosive jumps.
- wide stance hack squats....3 sets to failure, 8 to 12 reps.
- close stand 45 degree incline legs press....3 sets to failure, 8 to 12 reps.
- leg extensions.....3 sets to failure, 8 to 12 reps.
- prone hamstring curls....3 sets to failure, 8 to 12 reps.
- seated hamstring curls....3 sets to failure, 8 to 12 reps.
- seated straight leg calf raises ...3 sets to failure, 10 to 15 reps.
- bent knee calf raises....3 sets to failure, 10 to 15 reps.
- glute kick backs...3 sets to failure, 8 to 12 reps.
- glute pushdowns with the assist dip machine...3 sets to failure, 8 to 12 reps. (this exercise I use one leg to pressdown the platform)
sounds like tons of overlap and uneeded sets and exercises. my legs are sore as hell today from last nights workout, i did 4 sets of clean and press, 4 sets of deadlifts, 3 sets of dumbell squats, and 2 sets of lunges. i went to complete failure, and all that took me only 30 minutes. i worked abs and upperbody for next 30 minutes, doing 4-5 sets of rows, 3 sets of shoulders, and 4 sets of chest. i was out of the gym in one hour and my body is completely sore all over.

foreverAFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jaylan said:
Thats still a form of exercise...aka... youre NOT only exercising 1 hour a week. So its disingenuous to push the statement you did earlier. And lets be real here...you dont even really lift...so you cannot really tell anyone that an hour a week or minutes a day will be enough to truly stay fit or make the gains they want.
i dont really lift? sounds like you are the one taking it easy and coasting in the gym, wasting your time with tons of isolation work. you really need that long to tire out your legs?

my statement is not disingenuous when i clearly stated that i trained in martial arts twice a week in addition to one day of lifting, however in my opinion martial arts training doesnt develop hypertrophy or sculpt muscles.

Jaylan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
foreverAFC said:
compared to most people yes, he is probably in better shape than skinnyguy and he is definitely in better shape than the majority of people out there., you are forgetting that we are suffering an epidemic of obesity in this country. he may not look great compared to arnold or a pro bodybuilder, but id say even 80 percent of the male population out there isnt even on this guys level.
And Im not comparing him to a bodybuilder either. His physique doesnt look amazing to me. Hes got a good workout pump, and I definitely think he works out more than hes saying. And while he does look ok, I dont buy at all that he only works out 10 minutes a day. And I dont think people should be told to only do that much of physical activity.
im no promoting lazy routines, im trying to convince lazy people that they dont need hours a day in the gym to see improvements.
And this is why people take shortcuts...because many do think they will see dramatic improvements because some folks tell them they can change a lot in only minutes a day.
sounds like tons of overlap and uneeded sets and exercises. my legs are sore as hell today from last nights workout, i did 4 sets of clean and press, 4 sets of deadlifts, 3 sets of dumbell squats, and 2 sets of lunges. i went to complete failure, and all that took me only 30 minutes. i worked abs and upperbody for next 30 minutes, doing 4-5 sets of rows, 3 sets of shoulders, and 4 sets of chest. i was out of the gym in one hour and my body is completely sore all over.
Overlap?

lololol...I do 4 quad focused exercises, 2 primarily focused hamstring exercises, 2 primarily calve exercises, and 2 primary glute exercises. Each part of my lower body gets zeroed in on so each part works, grows, and performs better. I do a bit more quad stuff because I wanna focus on increasing the size of my quads.

So no, none of my exercises are unneeded. I make sure each part of my body gets hit hard and hit well each week. And I do loads more than just rows for my back. You dont get a strong and well developed back by doing just rows for a few reps. My back day consists of 8 workouts that target traps, middle back, lats, and lower back. Pullups should be a staple of any upper body routine btw.

Of course your body will be sore from what I consider a little bit of work. But I definitely wouldnt get sore from your workout. And heck, I do 4 to 5 times as many exercises as you each week, plus training till failure...but because I eat right I dont get as sore as I used to...but my lifts are increasing. Im not a big guy either (5'9 180, size 32 pant) and I know id get even slimmer if I started your routine.

So anyways, as I was saying....no overlap or unneeded exercises in my routine. I just want to maximize my gains and conditioning of my muscles...and I cant do that my only doing a few exercises once a week. I target each muscle group individually, and give each small group at least 2 to 3 exercises that push it to its limit each week. And for the bigger muscles 4 exercises on their workout day.
foreverAFC said:
i dont really lift? sounds like you are the one taking it easy and coasting in the gym, wasting your time with tons of isolation work. you really need that long to tire out your legs?

my statement is not disingenuous when i clearly stated that i trained in martial arts twice a week in addition to one day of lifting, however in my opinion martial arts training doesnt develop hypertrophy or sculpt muscles.
And your not getting much hypertrophy from what you are doing. The only reason you feel sore is because your body isnt used to that bit of lifting you are doing. If you did a routine like mine, I guarantee youd be 3 times more taxed and get a lot more gains. The reason it takes me a long time to tax my legs is because my legs are used to very taxing routines. Your routine would cause me to lose gains, and feel no soreness at all.

Lmao @ me "taking it easy and coasting in the gym". Every guy on this forum who lifts seriously would laugh at you after having seen my leg day routine. You think thats taking it easy when I do more work in one day than you do all week lifting? And in a week I easily lift 4 times as much as you. And while I know for a fact my volume outpaces you, I wouldnt be surprised if I outlifted you in each of your workouts because the way I train leads to more gains.

So slow your roll before telling me Im taking it easy. You really need to look over my routine again before you say such silly things. You highlighted your routine as containing 8 exercises...of which the lower and upper body gets only 4 exercises each week. I gave you my routine that highlights 10 exercises, just for lower body...meanwhile my other split days get at least 8 exercises those days as well.

So Im doing intense lifting 4 days a week, about 35 exercises each week vs you doing 1 day a week and only 8 exercises, but youre telling me Im taking it easy and coasting? Im stressing my muscles to failure on each rep of each exercise, making sure that last rep is the rep I can barely get up. Yet youre telling me Im taking it easy. Laugh my fvking ass off. Please go.

All this said, if lifting works for you once a week...great. I have no issue with that. I just have an issue with the statement that 1 hour a week is all you need...when this thread is about dudes getting big. You responded to someone saying one can get big by lifting an hour a day 4-5 days a week.

Last edited:

foreverAFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jaylan said:
And Im not comparing him to a bodybuilder either. His physique doesnt look amazing to me. Hes got a good workout pump, and I definitely think he works out more than hes saying. And while he does look ok, I dont buy at all that he only works out 10 minutes a day. And I dont think people should be told to only do that much of physical activity.

And this is why people take shortcuts...because many do think they will see dramatic improvements because some folks tell them they can change a lot in only minutes a day.

Overlap?

lololol...I do 4 quad focused exercises, 2 primarily focused hamstring exercises, 2 primarily calve exercises, and 2 primary glute exercises. Each part of my lower body gets zeroed in on so each part works, grows, and performs better. I do a bit more quad stuff because I wanna focus on increasing the size of my quads.

So no, none of my exercises are unneeded. I make sure each part of my body gets hit hard and hit well each week. And I do loads more than just rows for my back. You dont get a strong and well developed back by doing just rows for a few reps. My back day consists of 8 workouts that target traps, middle back, lats, and lower back. Pullups should be a staple of any upper body routine btw.

Of course your body will be sore from what I consider a little bit of work. But I definitely wouldnt get sore from your workout. And heck, I do 4 to 5 times as many exercises as you each week, plus training till failure...but because I eat right I dont get as sore as I used to...but my lifts are increasing. Im not a big guy either (5'9 180, size 32 pant) and I know id get even slimmer if I started your routine.

So anyways, as I was saying....no overlap or unneeded exercises in my routine. I just want to maximize my gains and conditioning of my muscles...and I cant do that my only doing a few exercises once a week. I target each muscle group individually, and give each small group at least 2 to 3 exercises that push it to its limit each week. And for the bigger muscles 4 exercises on their workout day.
And your not getting much hypertrophy from what you are doing. The only reason you feel sore is because your body isnt used to that bit of lifting you are doing. If you did a routine like mine, I guarantee youd be 3 times more taxed and get a lot more gains.

Lmao @ me "taking it easy and coasting in the gym". Every guy on this forum who lifts seriously would laugh at you after having seen my leg day routine. You think thats taking it easy when I do more work in one day than you do all week lifting? And in a week I easily lift 4 times as much as you. And while I know for a fact my volume outpaces you, I wouldnt be surprised if I outlifted you in each of your workouts because the way I train leads to more gains.

So slow your roll before telling me Im taking it easy. You really need to look over my routine again before you say such silly things. You highlighted your routine as containing 8 exercises...of which the lower and upper body gets only 4 exercises each week. I gave you my routine that highlights 10 exercises, just for lower body...meanwhile my other split days get at least 8 exercises those days as well.

So Im doing intense lifting 4 days a week, about 35 exercises each week vs you doing 1 day a week and only 8 exercises, but youre telling me Im taking it easy and coasting? Im stressing my muscles to failure on each rep of each exercise, making sure that last rep is the rep I can barely get up. Yet youre telling me Im taking it easy. Laugh my fvking ass off. Please go.

All this said, if lifting works for you once a week...great. I have no issue with that. I just have an issue with the statement that 1 hour a week is all you need...when this thread is about dudes getting big. You responded to someone saying one can get big by lifting an hour a day 4-5 days a week.

im 5'9 and 180lbs with 31 or 32 waist also, and i spend less time in the gym. looks like we have the same results, but im doing it much more effectively. i was 140 lbs back before i started lifting over 10 years ago.

Jaylan said:
it doesnt sound that intense at all when you need that many sets and exercises and that much time, it can be done much more effectively.

here is a 2 minute workout that is more intense than any workout you described, when you have real intensity with full body weight you dont need to wast 90+ minutes 4-5 days a week to get results

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUKwicAz054

sitting on those seats and doing sets of isolations really isnt that impressive

Jaylan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
foreverAFC said:
im 5'9 and 180lbs with 31 or 32 waist also, and i spend less time in the gym. looks like we have the same results, but im doing it much more effectively. i was 140 lbs back before i started lifting over 10 years ago.
This again shows you dont know what you are talking about. My buddy in the gym is the same height as me but weighs 5 less pounds with the same pant size, but looks bigger than me. He follows a bodybuilding routine and puts on mass. If you knew anything about the way him and I lift and training in general, youd know you cant simple state you stats, and assume you look the same as me or lift the same as me.

We specifically train each body part to get bigger and lift heavier. How much do you leg press? Its silly for you to think you are doing something as effective as me simple because you state body stats and dont tell me how much youre lifting.

This is me back @ 175.

Look at this video. I know both these guys. The second guy is my homeboy...5'9 175 lbs. Despite weighing the same, its obvious my homeboy is bigger than me. And Ive seen him lift in the gym...he definitely outlifts me. And we have the roughly same height, weight, and roughly the same pant size.

You gonna tell me you train more effectively than him just because you have similar height and weight? I guarantee hes bigger than you and lifts much heavier than you. Also, I believe the first dude is around 5'7 and around 170 lbs. Stats dont mean much without knowing someones muscle or fat percentage. And even then its better to see a picture.

Also, look at their back definition and look at the correct form being done on that first pullup.

it doesnt sound that intense at all when you need that many sets and exercises and that much time, it can be done much more effectively.

here is a 2 minute workout that is more intense than any workout you described, when you have real intensity with full body weight you dont need to wast 90+ minutes 4-5 days a week to get results

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUKwicAz054

sitting on those seats and doing sets of isolations really isnt that impressive
Its not intense? yeah, theres nothing intense about squatting 3 sets to failure, than leg pressing 3 sets to failure, than extensions to failure...then all my other exercises and all doing wind sprints to failure. yeah thats not intense at all :rolleyes: Let me just do your little 2 minute or 10 minute workouts each day. Sooooo much more intense. I guarantee that you wouldnt make it through an entire workout with me.

Look at the dudes I just linked you to. They follow strict training regimen similar to what I do, but on top of that they eat correctly and stay on top of their protein and calorie intake, which I dont do. (especially since I dont wanna get too huge for soccer)

You think Im gonna get my goal body of Christiano Ronaldo, or do you think my friends would have got the mass or cuts they have doing 2 minutes or 10 minute workouts? Get the fvk outta here with that nonsense.

Lastly, that video sucked. Crossfit kipping pullups are all momentum and not how you properly do pullups. If you want a strong and wide back, you must do pullups properly. Not that swinging bullshh!it. The video I provided shows proper pullup form in the first pullup. The second pullup was obviously a joke pullup making fun of kipping.

foreverAFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jaylan said:
This again shows you dont know what you are talking about. My buddy in the gym is the same height as me but weighs 5 less pounds with the same pant size, but looks way more massive than me. He follows a bodybuilding routine and puts on mass. If you knew anything about the way him and I lift and training in general, youd know you cant simple state you stats, and assume you look the same as me or lift the same as me.
actually if our waists are the same i think its fair to assume we are the same size and body shape.

Jaylan said:
http://instagram.com/p/mymJCrHHL0/

Look at that video. I know both these guys. The second guy is my homeboy...5'9 175 lbs. You gonna tell me you train more effectively than him just because you have similar height and weight? I guarantee hes bigger than you and lifts much heavier than you. Also, I believe the first dude is around 5'7 and around 170 lbs.
to be honest i look pretty similar to that guy. how much time does he spend in the gym ? i used to work out 2 hours 3 days a week with less intensity and got decent gains, but then i got better gains when i increased the intensity and made the workouts more efficient. more doesnt always equal better, its the quality that really counts.

Jaylan said:
You think Im gonna get my goal body of Christiano Ronaldo, or do you think my friends would have got the mass or cuts they have doing 2 minutes or 10 minute workouts? Get the fvk outta here with that nonsense.
i posted that video to show the difference in intensity between full body type workouts vs sitting on a seat doing isolation sets for 90+ minutes. there is no way your workouts are as intense as you claim, which is why you need 90+ minutes, you wouldnt be able to workout for 90 minutes with the intensity of the guy in the 2 min video. your workouts could be more efficient.

Jaylan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
foreverAFC said:
actually if our waists are the same i think its fair to assume we are the same size and body shape.
Untrue...because everyone has their own fat and muscle percentage, and also different bone densities as well. Also, you may carry weight different than me.

http://www.mybodygallery.com/

That site is a perfect example of how variable people can look with similar height and weights.

to be honest i look pretty similar to that guy. how much time does he spend in the gym ? i used to work out 2 hours 3 days a week with less intensity and got decent gains, but then i got better gains when i increased the intensity and made the workouts more efficient. more doesnt always equal better, its the quality that really counts.
Pics dude pics. Dont just say you look similar. Back it up.

And these guys get supremely quality workouts to go along with great diets. Remember, they workout each body part isolated, because that IS the most efficient way of evenly building size. Any study on fitness will tell you that working out only 1 hour a week will not give you necessary hypertrophy for maximum muscle building throughout your entire body.

You need to evenly train each muscle group and do it with great intensity. And yes, that takes time. You arent going to get max gains working out once a week. It just wont happen. Remember what thread you are posting in, and remember what post you originally responded to. You were the one that said someone can get big with 1 hour a week of lifting.

Studies and veteran lifters here and on other sites will tell you that is patently false. You may be able to make progress and not look like the typical sedentary American...but you will not get "big" with such little activity.
i posted that video to show the difference in intensity between full body type workouts vs sitting on a seat doing isolation sets for 90+ minutes. there is no way your workouts are as intense as you claim, which is why you need 90+ minutes, you wouldnt be able to workout for 90 minutes with the intensity of the guy in the 2 min video. your workouts could be more efficient.
Dude, you dont even see what my workouts look like. There are times I do light cardio in between sets, or times where I do abs between sets because I like to hit abs 3 days a week. Hell sometimes I combine two split days, and enjoy 2 hours in the gym...and only resting after my heaviest of the heavy lifts. Which means on those days I might do a set of incline dumbell presses, and then immediately do some hamstring curls right after.

Dont ignorantly assume my workout routine isnt intense just because I do a split. And btw, most people who do full body routines dont do them in a circuit with no breaks. I see most people take their 90 second breaks between sets just like everyone else.

Plenty of guys in the gym who do split routines, will do circuit training without breaks to keep their heart rate up and the intensity at its highest. But even if they take breaks, that does NOT mean their workouts arent intense. I would love to see you try to squat and leg press the weight the big dudes in my gym lift, and then tell me its not intense after you get done pushing yourself to failure.

Theres a REASON that the guy in that crossfit video was able to move back and forth from the pullup bar to the barbell. First off, he had terrible pullup form and cheated with momentum. Secondly, he wasnt pushing his max weight for reps. If he was pushing as much weight as he could do for 8 reps, he couldnt be able to make it to the pull up bar. Hed need his rest.

The thing about continuous intensity training that you keep harping about, is that you spread out your available energy in one continuous burst. If that works for some people, great. However, a lot of other people like putting as much energy as possible into particular lifts, and pushing themselves to the limit in the exercise they are currently focusing on.

Point being, Ive done circuits without rest...but I hate doing that on my leg days because it decreases the weight I push. And remember, I said Im trying to increase my leg size for the summer. So what would I rather do? Rush through my leg day and lift less weight in an hour? Or lift maximum weight in 90 minutes by letting my muscles rest and preparing my body for the next set of reps?

Its downright silly of you to post a Crossfit training video in a thread about GETTING BIG. Crossfit is not at all about getting big. Crossfit is about cross training, circuit training, and overall functional fitness. Dudes who wanna get big bodybuild. So basically, working out the way you are describing will not get someone big in the most effective or efficient manner. It just wont.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
slikkmeister said:
The answer to the OP's original question is right here...

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60002
"What every skinny guy should know". I never cared for that post because it makes it sound like what level of girl you get is directly related to how much muscle you put on and pretty much nothing else. Also, it's pretty certain Pook just made that whole thing up.

slikkmeister

Don Juan
Reaction score
"Also, it's pretty certain Pook just made that whole thing up."

You do realize that Pook's posts are the most prolific on this site right?

And that's not just my opinion, that comes right from every other blog out there dealing with MGTOW and DJ'ism...

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
slikkmeister said:
"Also, it's pretty certain Pook just made that whole thing up."

You do realize that Pook's posts are the most prolific on this site right?
Lol, I know who Pook is. What's the matter, did I disrespect your hero? Sorry, I'm not big on hero worshipping. Anyway, yes, Pook is a good writer.
Yes, Pook is well known and prolific. Yes, Pook has made great contributions to the field of pickup and the manosphere. That doesn't mean that he is always right, and it doesn't mean that he didn't fictionalize his post. By that I don't mean that he didn't work out or that it didn't help him with girls.

But that whole scale bit where he can only get a better grade of girl once he gains each 10 lbs., that part is obviously made up. Pook was (apparently) a tall, good looking guy, and he made a prior post that completely contradicts his skinny guy post. Here is a quote from something I posted in that thread:

I was just reading Pook's Kill That Desperation thread.

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16926

This thread was started in 2004. That thread was written in 2000, presumably when Pook was still "skinny". In that thread Pook says:

"BTW, chicks LOVE tall thin guys. I don't know why, but they will go after them."

That seems to contradict the point of this thread, which is that he didn't have success until he bulked up.
He also said this, which again pointed out how girls were attracted to him, long before he bulked up:

Quote:
For some reason, I tend to attract flocks of chicks. They hit on me, touch me, try to get me to ask them out (and I don't, heh heh). Other guys my age I talk to a few have had the same thing. We found out the reason why, as was summed up by what one girl told me:

"You're not like most guys. You're different, intelligent, and SEXIER THEN A GREEK GOD!"

OK, maybe she didn't say THAT. But she did say that I was different and not like most guys. Why? Because I WASN'T hitting on every chick. I wasn't out 'hustling' the girls.

TheBossman

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's funny how women and it seems a good many men, think a heavy set will turn them into Ronnie Coleman overnight.

"I dont wanna get too big."... Yeah ok buddy. Better skip that second set. Would suck to get into your car and find your huge swoll arms won't fit inside.

slikkmeister

Don Juan
Reaction score
"But that whole scale bit where he can only get a better grade of girl once he gains each 10 lbs., that part is obviously made up. Pook was (apparently) a tall, good looking guy, and he made a prior post that completely contradicts his skinny guy post."

Yea I see where you figure he contradicted himself...But, in his blog 7 years later he goes on to reiterate how building muscle is the way to go again.

From Pooks mill:
http://dapook.blogspot.com/2007/12/pook-grows-wings-co-workers-stunned.html

I'm a firm believer that lifting is the number one thing you can do for self improvement... I do it for the way I feel and to get girls also. I never imagined my life could be like this in any way, shape or form.

Pook is a quasi-hero to me and a lot of other guys. But, I wouldn't exactly say that I worship him. His beliefs just tend to echo my own after I really took a good, hard look at the world around me. I actually believe Rollo is a better writer than Pook!

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
I personally have gotten more from Pook than any other member here on SS--but being merely 6'3" and 200 lbs., he now claims that women can't keep their hands off of him? I'm just not buying that. Too easy.
Yeah, one of the great things about Pook is that he wasn't trying to sell a product like most of the well known PUA gurus. I mean yeah, he started a blog later, and maybe that made a little money, but as far as I know he wasn't running $3000 bootcamps lol.

One of the bad things about the pickup industry is a lot of of it is presented as being very simplistic, and makes grandiose promises in order to suck guys in. Pook's linear example of 10 lb. gains comes off very much like one of those commercials promising results. "I'm lousy with women. But if I can just gain 10 lbs., I'll be able to bang 6's! If I gain 20 lbs., I'll be banging 7's! If I gain 30 lbs., I can bang 8's! If I gain 40 lbs. I'll be able to get 9's! And if I gain 50, all women will fear me and bow to my will!".

Like you say though, it doesn't matter so much if it Pook fictionalized a post, what matters is the point that' being made. And yes, it is beneficial to lift weights, for a number of reasons. As far as attracting women goes, I don't think it will work for every dude, but probably most guys can benefit from it.