Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

What's the Deal With Hi-Glycemic Carbs?

prosemont

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been reading here and there about hi-glycemic carbs.

Some say first thing after a workout you oughta be taking them in.

Questions:
1. What's the purpose and how does it work?
2. How much to take in in calories and/or grams?
3. Does it matter whether you're cutting or bulking?
4. Food sources for these carbs?

Thanks bros.

LucidDreamer

Don Juan
Reaction score
I take 50-60 g dextrose (corn sugar) after every workout. You can order it online or at a brewery supply shop...some health food shops have it too. I think it has about a 150 GI, pretty high compared to table sugar.

Duke Togo

Don Juan
Reaction score
1. the purpose of high gi carbs (they all contain a sugars) are to cause an insulin spike and replenish glycogen stores, lost sugars that are expended during intense exercise, this will help the recovery rate, repair of the muscle when taken with a form of fast absorbing protein such as whey, the protein gets shuttled directly to the muscle giving optimal recovery. the problem with prolonged spikes 10 years+ is eventually you will become desensitised to insulin, and it may cause diabetese. the best thing to do is to use a complex carb rather then simple with a moderate gi rating, which will cause an insulin RESPONSE, not a spike, which is healthier and much better for protein synthesis, overall homeostasis of the body.

2. reccomended for simple carb is 50grams, using the 2:1 scale, 2 being carbs, 1 being protein. so 50 grams dextrose, 1 scoop whey. reccomended for complex carb is 1 cup oatmeal, 1 scoop whey.

3. insulin spike derived from a simple sugar/high GI will spill over into fat stores, as some glucose will not be utilised and become stored as fat, this is where the complex carb is superior again (oatmeal)

4. dextrose, maltodextrin > simple spike
oatmeal > complex response

prosemont

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke Togo
1. the purpose of high gi carbs (they all contain a sugars) are to cause an insulin spike and replenish glycogen stores, lost sugars that are expended during intense exercise, this will help the recovery rate, repair of the muscle when taken with a form of fast absorbing protein such as whey, the protein gets shuttled directly to the muscle giving optimal recovery. the problem with prolonged spikes 10 years+ is eventually you will become desensitised to insulin, and it may cause diabetese. the best thing to do is to use a complex carb rather then simple with a moderate gi rating, which will cause an insulin RESPONSE, not a spike, which is healthier and much better for protein synthesis, overall homeostasis of the body.

2. reccomended for simple carb is 50grams, using the 2:1 scale, 2 being carbs, 1 being protein. so 50 grams dextrose, 1 scoop whey. reccomended for complex carb is 1 cup oatmeal, 1 scoop whey.

3. insulin spike derived from a simple sugar/high GI will spill over into fat stores, as some glucose will not be utilised and become stored as fat, this is where the complex carb is superior again (oatmeal)

4. dextrose, maltodextrin > simple spike
oatmeal > complex response
Excellent response -- thanks.

I'm trying to incorporate fruit into my diet for the overall health benefits (I never eat fruit because of the sugar) so eating fruit post workout with whey might be a good time to do that and get added benefit from it. Comments?

Hot Ice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by LucidDreamer
I take 50-60 g dextrose (corn sugar) after every workout. You can order it online or at a brewery supply shop...some health food shops have it too. I think it has about a 150 GI, pretty high compared to table sugar.
I eat 200 grams corn after workouts usually.

About 50grams high GI carbs.
Also bananas and otehr fruit.

Duke Togo had some good advice there.
I think you could use high GI spikes when you train the most important muscle group there at that time. On the other workouts use oatmeal...

prosemont, I would eat the lowest GI fruit and save the high GI ones post workout. By the way, fructose isn't that bad.

Duke Togo

Don Juan
Reaction score
fruit contains the sugar fructose, fructose replenishes liver glycogen mostly and muscle glycogen partially.

the optimal carb for -results THEN health- is dextrose, the optimal carb for -health THEN results- is oatmeal. the results being minimal between the two.

eating fruit any other time apart from postworkout is fine if you eat it in moderation and maybe choose a few pieces of low glycemic fruit. dont go overboard like many do and never eat fruit because it contains sugar, the nutritional value is worth it.