whats the best time of day to drink ur protein shake?

CaptianMorgan

Don Juan
Reaction score
i only drink one protein shake a day and i was wonderin what the best time of day to drink it?

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As above if you only take one per day. Why only one though? You guys in the USA get whey so cheap why not have a shake upon rising before breakfast too? Workerouter's shake would make a good mid morning snack also and Diesel's postworkout nutrition adivce on the same thread is golden I might add.

The prices on www.1fast400.com are superb value. Shame whey would incur such large duty on import to the UK due to the weight or I would be buying from there. The prices are less than I pay trade over here!

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
After your workout. Now You need more than one per day unless you are eating over 100g of food based proteins.

I also can't stress enough to take a BLEND before bed if you are trying to bulk. Think about it. You usually sleep what 4-8hrs a night depending on the person? So take into consideration if you were awake you would be eating every 2hrs. So that means 2-4 meals missed when sleeping. You need Aminos in that body when you hit the sack so you stay in an anabolic state, and not catabolic. Hit 50g of a blend of protein, and your set.

I use a custom protein from the protein factory that contains milk, egg, whey, and casein protein in certain %. as my bedtime drink

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
regardless, protein should be INCREASED and carbs decreased for cutting. The reason behind this is cause some of the aminos will be used as FUEL to replace the carbs.

What is your intake per day?

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by CaptianMorgan
maybe i take one a day because im NOT trying to bulk. im tryin to cut up.
Cutting or bulking you still need regular protein. Certainly you need more total grams of protein when bulking but you mainly need more calories and you won't increase calories significantly with some whey in water or skimmed milk.

At 16 I woudn't be too concerned with trying to cut or bulk anyway. You're body is going through many changes and will continue to do so for a few years to come. Just train, eat and enjoy it.

CaptianMorgan

Don Juan
Reaction score
well what im tryin to accomplish is to be as strong as possible for the weight class that i am in for wrestling, thats why i drink a protein shake. Anyways this is what my protein shake looks like.

3/4 cups of whey protein
2 cups of Vitiman D or 2% milk (whatever is in my fridge)
2 scoops of chocolate ice cream
about 5 strawberries
1 banana
1 scoop of peanut butter

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually I am looking for TOTAL protein intake per day. I want to know HOW much you are getting. 8g per 8oz Milk, I would say roughly 15-22g per scoop depending on company, so that leaves you with under 75g including the Peanut Butter. What other protein do you get per day?

CaptianMorgan

Don Juan
Reaction score
well in the morning i will eat 2 boiled eggs, and ill eat a steak about every other day, and ill eat chicken on the days in between.
idk my lunch schedule is usually fuked up cuz i sometimes go to work in the afternoon. i usually wake up at 11, eat breakfast, and then at 3:30 ill have a big dinner, and a piece of chicken or spaghetti at midnight when i get home. ill fit my protein shake somewhere in there. i really cant think of any other protein i intake each day.

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by CaptianMorgan
well in the morning i will eat 2 boiled eggs, and ill eat a steak about every other day, and ill eat chicken on the days in between.
idk my lunch schedule is usually fuked up cuz i sometimes go to work in the afternoon. i usually wake up at 11, eat breakfast, and then at 3:30 ill have a big dinner, and a piece of chicken or spaghetti at midnight when i get home. ill fit my protein shake somewhere in there. i really cant think of any other protein i intake each day.
Ok, 2 eggs is like 6g, so you get more in a glass of milk. No problem with eggs, but if you are eating them for the sole purpose of protein, 6 egg whites or more is what you need. Chicken your looking at about 35-42g of protein.

So by my calculations I get roughly 80-100g of protein per day. 100g if your lucky.

Your waking up at 11am will ruin it right there. If one gets up at 7am, by 11 they should have already had TWO meals.

So by the time you get up there are some out there who have already taken in 40-60g by 11am. 20g/20g or 30g/30g or what ever people do, but its close.

If you have to get up at 11am, I suggest if you are awake before then, get up chug a shake, eat some cottage cheese, milk, what ever then go back to bed.

Protein intake for people is always less then they think. You'll hear I eat 2 chicken breast, 1 scoop of protein, 8oz of cottage cheese, and 160z of milk a day. Oh really? That's only barely 100g of protein per day.

So when people think they eat alot, their usually short 50-75g per day.

Think about it in easy terms. 6 small meals a day, and 25g per setting. 25x6= 150g. Now that's about average. People push 175-220g and stuff like that, but I think you get my drift. Seperate your protein, or if you can't eat that many meals, get up at night chug a shake, eat some cottage cheese, what ever, but keep the protein flowing.

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Getting ripped comes with a variety of techniques. One has to keep protein high as their carb intake is lower for getting ripped. that's why when cutting we suggest more protein. If you aren't eating carbs, the fuel for your body has to come from somewhere. And that source is protein. Protein is RARELY used for fuel except when cutting or getting ripped.

Also too, water has some importance in that look too. i'm not suggesting you take diurectics, but when one excretes a little more H20 too, the skin becomes tighter and giving you that ripped effect. You don't want to stay on diurectics too long if you ever take them. And when you do, always drink 8oz of water extra for every 8 you lose. Also if your diurectic doesn't have potassium or sodium (electrolytes) in them, you will also need to increase those as well when on a diurectic.

Another thing I would reccomend is Glutamine when cutting. glutamine plays a bigger role in the body when cutting then when bulking.

Kwah

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How the christ can you guys keep track of your protien intake? I have no friggin clue whats in half the stuff I eat.

Like I ate 4 pork chops last night, they were average size, but I have no freaking clue what that works out too.

How the hell can you work all this stuff out without waisting an hour of your day just calculating what you ate?

Drex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kwah
How the christ can you guys keep track of your protien intake? I have no friggin clue whats in half the stuff I eat.

Like I ate 4 pork chops last night, they were average size, but I have no freaking clue what that works out too.

How the hell can you work all this stuff out without waisting an hour of your day just calculating what you ate?
First of all that's a lot of pork chop. Hope you dont eat that much very often because if that's your main source of protein you are gonna get fat.

You can buy nutrition books that give you the food values of the more common food sources. I'll give you a list of some of the more popular protein sources and their values.

1 oz. of Chicken Breast = 35 calories, 8g protein, 1 g fat

1/2 cup Cottage Cheese = 80 calories, 18g protein, 1g fat

1 Large Whole Egg = 75 calories, 6g protein, 1g carbs, 5g fat

1 oz, Lean Ground Beef = 75 calories, 7g protein, 5g fat

1 oz Fresh Salmon = 40 calories, 6g protein, 2g fat

1 oz Canned Tuna = 35 calories, 6g protein, 1/2g fat

1 oz Fresh Tuna = 30 calories, 7g protein

1 scoop Precision Protein (whey) = 100 calories, 20g protein, 2g carbs, 1g fat

Drex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kwah
I dont eat for pleasure, I eat to stay fit. I basically have a set diet and I eat the same things day in and day out. I only have to calculate my portions once and then I am done until I decide to up my daily intake of calories. It's surprisingly easy to know how many calories a day you are eating and how many grams of protein, carbs and fat as well. I think the hardest part is just preparing 6 meals a day.

Kwah

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Funky. Thing is I just eat what gets cooked. And as I am a farm boy I eat a lot. I guess I should fiugure it out.

To me food is food, but other people cooking food is even better.

numlock

Don Juan
Reaction score
why does everyone use optimum nutrition whey? doesnt' that stuff only have 22g of protein per serving?

i use an isolated whey protein by IsoPro, 30g protein per serving, with only 1g of carbs

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
sometimes you just remember things. After you eat so much, you can go... whole milk has 150cal, and 8g protein. And egg white has 3-4g protein. Organic Omega 3 eggs have 7. etc etc.

As far as Optimum goes, I don't think everyone buys it, but again like I said in my post debating with bigforearms. You have to CALCULATE the serving to give you % protein per scoop. It's all about the serving size and %. NOT about what it says on the label.