Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

what to do with your money??? (if you have any)

betheman

Banned
Reaction score
I have a little, (GBP) ive took it out of the bank, its doing nothing in there and after what has happened in Cyprus....Ill look after my own thanks!

now, stocks /shares...forget it, way way over inflated, a crash looms!
gold/silver? you cant eat it but when the GBP/Dollar fails, which they will at some point, will hold value as currency.
Bitcoin??? uncertain about this, it seems high now but is vulnerable to technology failure.

guns and food?? cant have guns in the UK otherwise!!!

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have the same doubt, those cvnts in charge in the european parliament and the central bank said that cyprus is just an exception but to trust them is to trust a kid which says he wont be skip school anymore.

Anyway what scares me the most is that it really seems we no longer have basic rights in "united Europe", you're no longer entitled to own what is yours, they can just come and decide to withdraw from your bank account as much as they believe its necessary.

For what I recall the definition of theft is to get by force something which belong to someone lese without his agreement, does it make any difference if its done from a robber with a gun or some cvnt in tie which is not even near you?

Yeah the differene is that the robber doesnt shame you if you do your best to stop him.

Anyway many people suggested me to move all my money in a country which belongs to the union but doesnt have euro as currency, something like Poland for example which would give you a minimum protection.

foreverAFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
move to USA and buy guns

twentee

Banned
Reaction score
not very MANY guns are needed. a couple of pistols, ONE fighting rifle. A sneaky guy with night vision and a "mere" .22 autorifle, with a silencer on it, is many times more capable of surviving shtf than the fools who "think" what they want is a 308 autorifle and 10,000 rds of ammo for it. Such guys won't last a week if shtf, except by pure luck.

Unless you are a Mexican gangbanger, it is HARD to immigrate to USA. and beyond the silenced 22 autorifle (which is just a $500 thing, actually) your money should first go into training and long term, but very cheap food and supplies. Like canned Crisco fat, dehydrate your own fruit, snare deer and make your own jerky, and locally grown grain. Or drive quite a distance and buy it from not so local farmers. Grain, on the FARM is just a few pennies per pound. It's sold by the "bushel", which is 55 lbs, or 25kg, for typically less than $10 US per bushel. Many farmers store a lot of it for many months beyond the harvest season, either to feed to their animals, or to get a better price for it during the "off season". a few ads, a few phone calls and emails, and you can have wheat, rice, corn, soybeans, oats, with a few hundred kilometer drive, at worst case. Combine such a trip with something else that you are doing anyway, to save money.

if you buy the grain thru the mail, pre packaged, it will cost you 10x as much. only hard winter wheat will "keep" more than 2 years. cache some salt, non hybrid garden seeds, and some molasses.

also, need a way to cheaply, with little smoke or flame, COOK your food. Paraffin is just $1 US per lb, on the net. 50 lbs of it will cook all of your food for a year, easily, if you know how to make a "can-candle stove". it's very simple and costs almost nothing.

it's by far the best to not have all your food in your house. you want it BURIED, in metal, resealable drums, some place with hills and woods, not too far from home, say maybe 30km, and bicycle to it, at night, if shtf. it must be within 1k of a permanent water source, like a lake or river, and you must have both a cookpot for boiling it, as well as Potable Aqua' for treating it and a filter for removing the nasties. you need a concealed dugout shelter, too, but best to not have it be all the way built, prior to shtf. nO above ground building will escape being searched, many times, by the desperate. If you cant' get and stay out of sight, coming out only at night, for about a year, you will either be killed, or catch some disease that kills you, etc. Starving dog packs will be everywhere. It only takes ONE mistake, and you will be history.

shtf survivalism is a big, huge, long term subject. several entire Net forums are devoted to it.

twentee

Banned
Reaction score
I'd put VERY little of my money into "paper" investments these days. There's not much point in having more than 20k US in gold coins either. make certain that a lot of your gold is in 1/10 th oz coins. don't bother with much, if any silver. it is too common, heavy, bulky, won't buy enough to justify its bulk and weight. if you have to leave it behind, what does it (or anything else) do for you, hmm?
some diamonds, bought at the price level that pawn shops PAY for such stones, might be worth a few k. In case you have to 'keister' or swallow them to get a BIT of your wealth out of the country, as the Jews did in the late 30's, in Germany.

if shtf, so few, will have so little, that a LITTLE gold will go a LONG ways, and long before gold will have value again, you will need tons of knowledge, and a lot of gear and some stored food, just to suvive the first year. After a year, 90-99% of the Population, worldwide, will be DEAD, or order will have been restored in some way. then you can risk subsurface, plots of sprouts, which produce edible food in 2 weeks or so, if they are small, scattered, well hidden, on hilltops, in thickets, and you come and go from them in darkness. in another year, it MIGHT be safe enough to have regular types of gardens, if well hidden, etc.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
now, stocks /shares...forget it, way way over inflated, a crash looms!

That is an investor's viewpoint, but if you're a trader, it doesn't matter. Short positions profit from downward movement, so if you think something is going down, just short it or buy some puts.

It's a lot easier to just ride the wave of idiots, though. Look at stocks setting 52-week highs, with reasonable volume, and at a price you can afford. Then look at charts. Look for something in the single-digit price range that used to be double digits, but dropped and then went sideways for a long time before hitting the 52-week high as it took off again. You can use stop loss orders to limit your potential loss, at least to some extent. Carrying anything overnight subjects you to the risk of it gapping way down on bad news, but if you're buying the right stocks that should be rare.

twentee

Banned
Reaction score
and how is that an investment? something expected to "accrue in value"? Sounds more like an indulgence in entertainment, an item that depreciates in value.

TranzedHuman

Reaction score
I'm just a student. If I had 100K on the bank sure I would be putting it somewhere else.

Fatal Jay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yep me and my dad was talking about this the other day, it's no point in giving banks any more of your money especially if it is adding no interest too it, you basically giving strangers your money. I thought about buying a few shares of stock on my job since they keep offering,but isn't stock a gamble.

I also thought about bonds, bonds is the only thing you get a return with interest, the longer the better but with the way this economy is i'm not sure if it is even worth.

Do any of you guys invest in bonds?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Unless you're a bond trader by profession, or simply mega-rich, stocks are a better deal for a typical guy. It's a myth that bonds are safer; the prices go up and down just like stocks. If you sell before maturity, you can lose a lot of your principal. There are bond funds, which are like mutual funds of bonds, but they trade at a share price that goes up and down like a stock. Something like that has a place in a diversified investment portfolio, but then again so do a lot of investments.

Fatal Jay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Unless you're a bond trader by profession, or simply mega-rich, stocks are a better deal for a typical guy. It's a myth that bonds are safer; the prices go up and down just like stocks. If you sell before maturity, you can lose a lot of your principal. There are bond funds, which are like mutual funds of bonds, but they trade at a share price that goes up and down like a stock. Something like that has a place in a diversified investment portfolio, but then again so do a lot of investments.

Ok cool, but I always thought with bond only the interest go up and down, but it's not like your losing your money right? Lets say I invest 2 grand in bonds, it's not possible of me getting back only 5 hundred bucks minus the thousand five hundred dollars I put in,right?

I always thought bonds was like the ideal way of what bank accounts was suppose to be.

betheman

Banned
Reaction score
Im not a trader so the idea of trading stock/shares daily is out for me, I work so Im not sure how this would fit in even if I knew what I was doing!

Bonds, from what Ive read and heard are very risky at present. from my novicey knowledge, it appears prudent to invest in physical, tangible assets at present, and gold/silver seem about as close to the safest option

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fatal Jay said:
Ok cool, but I always thought with bond only the interest go up and down, but it's not like your losing your money right? Lets say I invest 2 grand in bonds, it's not possible of me getting back only 5 hundred bucks minus the thousand five hundred dollars I put in,right?

I always thought bonds was like the ideal way of what bank accounts was suppose to be.
Every bond has a maturity date. It's between a few months and 30 years. If you never sell the bond before maturity and the issuer does not default, then you at least have the issuer's guarantee that you won't lose money. The shorter the maturity date and the better the credit of the issuer, the lower the rate it pays.

The problem arises when you buy a bond today, then interest rates rise tomorrow. No one wants your old bond now, because it pays a lower rate, so it will sell at a discount to face value. Your choices are to sell it at a loss or to keep a bad investment for up to 30 years. Either way you lose money.

switch

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
twentee said:
not very MANY guns are needed. a couple of pistols, ONE fighting rifle. A sneaky guy with night vision and a "mere" .22 autorifle, with a silencer on it, is many times more capable of surviving shtf than the fools who "think" what they want is a 308 autorifle and 10,000 rds of ammo for it. Such guys won't last a week if shtf, except by pure luck.

Unless you are a Mexican gangbanger, it is HARD to immigrate to USA. and beyond the silenced 22 autorifle (which is just a $500 thing, actually) your money should first go into training and long term, but very cheap food and supplies. Like canned Crisco fat, dehydrate your own fruit, snare deer and make your own jerky, and locally grown grain. Or drive quite a distance and buy it from not so local farmers. Grain, on the FARM is just a few pennies per pound. It's sold by the "bushel", which is 55 lbs, or 25kg, for typically less than $10 US per bushel. Many farmers store a lot of it for many months beyond the harvest season, either to feed to their animals, or to get a better price for it during the "off season". a few ads, a few phone calls and emails, and you can have wheat, rice, corn, soybeans, oats, with a few hundred kilometer drive, at worst case. Combine such a trip with something else that you are doing anyway, to save money.

if you buy the grain thru the mail, pre packaged, it will cost you 10x as much. only hard winter wheat will "keep" more than 2 years. cache some salt, non hybrid garden seeds, and some molasses.

also, need a way to cheaply, with little smoke or flame, COOK your food. Paraffin is just $1 US per lb, on the net. 50 lbs of it will cook all of your food for a year, easily, if you know how to make a "can-candle stove". it's very simple and costs almost nothing.

it's by far the best to not have all your food in your house. you want it BURIED, in metal, resealable drums, some place with hills and woods, not too far from home, say maybe 30km, and bicycle to it, at night, if shtf. it must be within 1k of a permanent water source, like a lake or river, and you must have both a cookpot for boiling it, as well as Potable Aqua' for treating it and a filter for removing the nasties. you need a concealed dugout shelter, too, but best to not have it be all the way built, prior to shtf. nO above ground building will escape being searched, many times, by the desperate. If you cant' get and stay out of sight, coming out only at night, for about a year, you will either be killed, or catch some disease that kills you, etc. Starving dog packs will be everywhere. It only takes ONE mistake, and you will be history.

shtf survivalism is a big, huge, long term subject. several entire Net forums are devoted to it.
remind me to call twentee/goundra in case the zombie apocalypse happens :rock:

goundra

Banned
Reaction score
wouldn't do you any good. I'm pulling the entrance to my hole in after me! :) I aint coming out, except at night, to get water and exercise a bit, for a year after the collapse.

PlayHer Man

Banned
Reaction score
There are no "risk free" investments in 2013 (there never have been).

Looking for a risk-free investment is like looking for a friendly shark you can pet.

I see people pushing gold here again. Gold isn't any safer an investment than anything else... especially if SO MANY PEOPLE are pushing it on the Internet :crackup:. We can look at history to see what happens when investments get too much "hype". No one sells the goose that lays the golden eggs.. so don't expect mind blowing financial advice on SS.

There are definitely some great opportunities out there if you know where to look and DON'T FOLLOW THE SHEEP. When to invest in what is all about TIMING. Looking for a "sure thing" that will rise in value forever is the path of fools. Every con man in history uses the "sure thing" as a lure to swindle the common man out of his hard earned money.

I would NOT buy gold. :)

Burroughs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Fed and the government are partners in crime. The fed has monopolized the currency. Uncontrolled government spending, the printing of currency, causes inflation, decreased purchasing power. Market forces react to this inflation by driving interest rates up to compensate for that lost value. The government therefore, has to monopolize interest rates also in order to counter Market forces. This is indisputable evidence that the us is not a free market economy but rather a command economy with vestiges of the free market

twentee

Banned
Reaction score
gold is a store of wealth. It rarely makes money. what it does is prevents the loss of all your money, as often happens in currencies and stocks and bonds. Everyone should own a bit of gold, preferably in 1/10th oz US Eagles, so thaat you can buy small item,s. These small denomination coins are normally sold at a preimum price above the price of a1 oz coin, google for The Coin Store, in Farmington, NM for the best prices. Many stores charge you 3 x as much more to sell it to you, or pay you 3x as mch less to buy it from you (relative to the "spot price". Inflation has averaged 5% per year in the US for the past 40 years now. If you would have buried 1 million dollars in currency in 1973, it would know buy about what 400,000 will buy today. But if you had buried a million worth of gold in 1970, you could now buy 12 million dollars worth of other stuff today.Back then, gold was $135 an oz. today, gold is $1600 an oz. A big new ford or chevy, in 1970 was $4000, or 30 ozs of gold. today, gold is $1600 an oz, and that same big ford or chevy will cost you $40,000, say 25 ozs of gold. we had factory jobs that CLEARED, after tax, a bout $5 an hour, in 1970 and you cojld buy 12 gallons of gas with that hour's work. gas was 40c a gallon. now to buy 12 gallons of gas, you need to clear $40 an hour, and you'd have to gross $60 an hour to do that

So you just go head the BELIEVE the bs about how gold means nothing. Don't disturb your little fantasy bubble about what other people are doing to your net worth, your future and your abillity to resist the tyranny that they have in mind for you. 50 lbs is a million $ in gold, AT TODAY'S PRICES. A strong man can RUN with a 50 lb backpack. 40 years ago. that 50 lbs in gold (12 troy ozs per lb, not 16) wos $75,000 worth of gold. U woud have need 12x as much of it in order to have had a million dollars in gold. Politicians ALWAYS curry favor with those who have money to elect and unelect them. They do it by printing money, so they can have wars the noboy wants, and so they can pay for all the welfare goodies, to the farmers and corporations. The little guy always gets it up the arse, in the end. that's why the "movers' HATE gold, it lets you have a standard by which to judge how your paper 'money" is doing, and it's RARELY doing very good, compared to the price of gold.

PlayHer Man

Banned
Reaction score
twentee said:
gold is a store of wealth. It rarely makes money. what it does is prevents the loss of all your money, as often happens in currencies and stocks and bonds. Everyone should own a bit of gold, preferably in 1/10th oz US Eagles, so thaat you can buy small item,s. These small denomination coins are normally sold at a preimum price above the price of a1 oz coin, google for The Coin Store, in Farmington, NM for the best prices. Many stores charge you 3 x as much more to sell it to you, or pay you 3x as mch less to buy it from you (relative to the "spot price". Inflation has averaged 5% per year in the US for the past 40 years now. If you would have buried 1 million dollars in currency in 1973, it would know buy about what 400,000 will buy today. But if you had buried a million worth of gold in 1970, you could now buy 12 million dollars worth of other stuff today.Back then, gold was $135 an oz. today, gold is $1600 an oz. A big new ford or chevy, in 1970 was $4000, or 30 ozs of gold. today, gold is $1600 an oz, and that same big ford or chevy will cost you $40,000, say 25 ozs of gold. we had factory jobs that CLEARED, after tax, a bout $5 an hour, in 1970 and you cojld buy 12 gallons of gas with that hour's work. gas was 40c a gallon. now to buy 12 gallons of gas, you need to clear $40 an hour, and you'd have to gross $60 an hour to do that

So you just go head the BELIEVE the bs about how gold means nothing. Don't disturb your little fantasy bubble about what other people are doing to your net worth, your future and your abillity to resist the tyranny that they have in mind for you. 50 lbs is a million $ in gold, AT TODAY'S PRICES. A strong man can RUN with a 50 lb backpack. 40 years ago. that 50 lbs in gold (12 troy ozs per lb, not 16) wos $75,000 worth of gold. U woud have need 12x as much of it in order to have had a million dollars in gold. Politicians ALWAYS curry favor with those who have money to elect and unelect them. They do it by printing money, so they can have wars the noboy wants, and so they can pay for all the welfare goodies, to the farmers and corporations. The little guy always gets it up the arse, in the end. that's why the "movers' HATE gold, it lets you have a standard by which to judge how your paper 'money" is doing, and it's RARELY doing very good, compared to the price of gold.
Look... believe what you want bro. Emotional fear-based thinking is a sh!tty way to invest. Gold is a "store of wealth" if you buy it at the right time with the right currency. :)

The right time to buy Gold is during a booming economy.. not a recession. Recessions are when you SELL gold. The only reason you can even buy gold is because someone else is SELLING it. Now why would they be selling it? Hmmm...

You'll all see what I'm talking about in a few years. Stay ignorant and keep watching for the falling sky bro. :crackup: