Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

What sort of monitor are you using?

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Completely useless thread, but I'm curious as to what sort of monitor each of you is using. Please, be honest, as it's not like saying you have a 52" converted HDTV that you simulcast both the football game on one half and your computer screen on the other half is actually going to make your 15" CRT any larger. :p

That being said, I just upgraded from a HP 17" CRT that came with my old computer to a new Dell E196FP 19" LCD w/ 3 year warranty for $178.15 (15% off of $239 retail minus 25 coupon code minus free shipping), shipped. I've been told that I should have spent more for one that's digital instead of analog, but I really don't see what the point would have been since the only thing I really use it for is email/scheduling/photo editing/internet. Still, with all of the coupons, rebates, and discounts with Dell it's possible to pick up a good monitor for cheap.

What about you?

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Two 20" digital Dell 2007FP's flat screens and an old 20" analog HP1230. I primarily use the HP to watch cable while I'm working on other things.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
After you switch from CRT to LCD, you never go back. My school still has some of the old CRTs, and I can hardly look at them.

Wide screen seems to be the thing now. The high-end computer packages at the major retailers have 19 and 21" wide screens.

grinder

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You are correct, "completely useless thread".

A psp is all that is needed for viewing and as for what is viewed, only the content and quaility of thoughts are needed in this place.

Vincent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a 17" NEC, I wanna get dual screens but lack the funds right now to get a new video card and another monitor.

Le Parisien

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm using a 19 inch "Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 91" right now, it's a perfect flat screen, I bought it in 2000 for a good price, one of my best PC related investments ever.

The problem with current LCD is that the color isn't as good as on good quality CRT screens when the image isn't still. Like when watching a DVD (a lot of grainy noise), and the ghosting problem when playing fast 3D games.

Sure if you are only using your PC for "daily" tasks like Word, the Internet and some other stuff, LCD are definitely the way to go. I got a 17 inch Hyundai LCD for my parents almost two years ago, it's perfect for what they do.

Personally I'm waiting for the next generation of LCD or maybe OLED displays, with better reaction time and better color rendering. As long as my good CRT is still working, I will wait.

Potbelly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
diablo check your PMs

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
After you switch from CRT to LCD, you never go back.
Can't really agree with you. CRT does have their advantages, such as colour. LCD monitors are also hard to scan quickly from an angle.

I have a 15inch CRT and a 17inch LCD. I rarely use the LCD, unless I'm spending excessive amounts of time on the computer (more than 2 hours a day).

TheNewGuy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
15.4" WXVGA + BrightView laptop screen.

Quick note if you're buying a laptop. Unless you really need the extra-shimmer and detail of the BrightView (its the screens with the shine on them) don't get it. Its super sensitive to scratches :(

Docs

Banned
Reaction score
Laptop screen is usually blank, 19" LCD takes its place (but since the laptop is a desktop replacement essentially....).

I can work with both CRT and LCD, but I have to have it 1024x800 or higher or it drives me nuts (try changing your resolutions to 800x600 if you want to drive yourself nuts)

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
excessive amounts of time on the computer (more than 2 hours a day).

Everyone is different, but a lot of people spent much more than 2 hrs a day on the computer, especially people who use a pc for their work.

Day traders love multiple monitors. They usually cram so many on their desk that it looks like NASA Mission Control.

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Phillips Brilliance 17", 7 years old or more.

The Juan and only

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
After you switch from CRT to LCD, you never go back. My school still has some of the old CRTs, and I can hardly look at them.

Are you serious? The only advantage to those screens is the size. I dont like the colours, and the clarity isn't as good as the ol' CRTs imo.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i have a dell and its about a year and half old. i got it cheap when i ordered a new computer. the monitor is one of the older style bulking ones, but i wanted to save money and it stays in the bedroom.

GirlCrazy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LCDs all the way. They not only take up less space, but they're lighter (easier to move around), use less power, and give off less heat. Plus, they're easier to stare at (at least for me) for 8 hours a day. CRT's used to give me headaches, even with the refresh rate cranked up.

OzyBoy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
just a 17" LCD, i used have a 15" crt and that was awful. having an LCD is so much better, especially on the eyes and it takes up so much less space. :)