Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

What should I get with my bonus

Should I...?

• Upgrade my gaming pc

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Upgrade my car speakers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy a shotgun

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Got a Christmas bonus. Boss told me I should buy myself something nice. I agree. Figure I'll already be receiving nice additions to my wardrobe for Christmas. So, not going to get any clothes with it.

I was considering upgrading my gaming pc's motherboard snd processor. That would be a fun rebuild. Computer building is a passion of mine. Still enjoy video games sometimes. Don't have the time for them that I used to have. I play 1 to 2 times a week.

Another consideration was new car speakers. Unfortunately Hyundai uses cheap speakers that blow easily. It would nice to put some Kenwood or Kicker speakers in there. That would get used everyday. Kind of a more practical choice.

Another consideration was buying a shotgun. Probably won't. I enjoy guns and going to the range from time to time. It would be better home defense than my AR. I don't go often though. This would get used the least.

This poll result probably won't influence my choice, but I'm having fun with considering different options.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
I've read your intentions per your list.

Non of it generates any tangible profit.

You don't hunt so the gun is out. If you hunt then the profit you gain from that activity will enrich you in so many ways.

I'm assuming you spend a maximum of 1 hour out of 24 hours in your car, so there's little profit there unless you're an Uber driver who will profit from a great set of speakers.

You spend too little time on pc gaming to actually need to invest in it since it's already working.

If I were you, at the stage in your life, I'd focus on ways to increase my power. Find something that your bonus could do towards that end.

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've read your intentions per your list.

Non of it generates any tangible profit.

You don't hunt so the gun is out. If you hunt then the profit you gain from that activity will enrich you in so many ways.

I'm assuming you spend a maximum of 1 hour out of 24 hours in your car, so there's little profit there unless you're an Uber driver who will profit from a great set of speakers.

You spend too little time on pc gaming to actually need to invest in it since it's already working.

If I were you, at the stage in your life, I'd focus on ways to increase my power. Find something that your bonus could do towards that end.
Any examples?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Smaller gun ranges don't let you shoot shotguns. Yes, it is great home defense, and guns hardly ever go down in value.

If you buy car speakers, you will probably want to get an amp as well. Underpowering quality speakers is bad for them, and sounds like crap. The best audio setups drive the sub in the back, because bass is non directional, and the mids and highs go to the sides and front. Stock audio systems are almost always crappy, even the ones people like.

HankHill

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Save/invest it but it's hard to suggest how without knowing a lot of other details.

Oh and unless you shoot often and are into guns the best home defense gun is a 357 wheel gun it'll shoot 38spcl if you want lower recoil and less wall penetration (so that you don't shoot innocent people in the other room etc).

dustmuffin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Save/invest it but it's hard to suggest how without knowing a lot of other details.

Oh and unless you shoot often and are into guns the best home defense gun is a 357 wheel gun it'll shoot 38spcl if you want lower recoil and less wall penetration (so that you don't shoot innocent people in the other room etc).
I have a 38 special wheel gun for home defense. I t won't jam and works every time. A very good selection.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
This made me think of my old but trusted lee-enfield.

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Smaller gun ranges don't let you shoot shotguns. Yes, it is great home defense, and guns hardly ever go down in value.

If you buy car speakers, you will probably want to get an amp as well. Underpowering quality speakers is bad for them, and sounds like crap. The best audio setups drive the sub in the back, because bass is non directional, and the mids and highs go to the sides and front. Stock audio systems are almost always crappy, even the ones people like.
Got one in my area that allows it surprisingly. There's already an amp in my car. Going to look into whether it is enough if I go that route.

HankHill

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a 38 special wheel gun for home defense. It won't jam and works every time. A very good selection.
Bingo. Exactly the reason I recommend it for the non-gun people, it'll fire even after 20yrs of sitting indoors. I recommend a 357 in case the bad guy is high on drugs, the 38spcl won't drop him immediately sans a headshot but the 357 will.

Despite the popular belief on the Interwebs I personally think shotguns make a terrible home defense gun.

This made me think of my old but trusted lee-enfield.
One of the first long guns I shot...great guns with lots of history.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a .357 S&W. It is a fun gun, but I would still think of my mossberg 12 gauge as a better home defense weapon, especially if you are sitting in one spot. I think it was the fbi that researched the idea, and concluded in a home invasion scenario, the person sitting behind a closed door waiting for the other person to open it has a huge advantage, regardless of weapon. A housewife could kill a Navy seal that way. The bulkiness of the shotgun is thus not a factor. A hand gun is easier to move around with in close quarters.

Wheel guns don't jam, but I am yet to see my Kimber .45 jam either. Quality ammo is important too. My Kimber is the CDP Custom II, a little nicer than base models, goes for about $1,400. I think it is well worth it. I don't want to shoot another pistol after owning this gun. Those .45 rounds feel like 9 mms coming out. The .357 feels like a cannon off a pirate ship.

HankHill

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sure, there're are better weapons but here're my reasons for suggesting what I did without typing a novel. For the versatility, cost, the ability to drop down to .38spcl rounds (cheap, no cannon like recoil, less wall penetration chance), mobility, simple to operate for a noob (or at 2am when you're half asleep), almost zero maintenance required I can't think of a better choice.

The size of the shotgun is one of the biggest drawbacks since the best gun for defense is the one that's on you.

1. If you're sitting in the family room watching TV where's the shotgun? Did you leave it in the bedroom from 5 mins earlier? What about when it's dinner time, is the shotgun left in the family room or do you awkwardly carry it around to the dining table? If it's loaded do others (minors including) have easy access to it where you last left it? The wheel gun's in my holster, loaded, ready to go without a chance of it going off unlike a racked pistol.

2. At 2am you hear something go bump...you're groggy, you tense up, may be even freeze/paralyze for 30 seconds then you reach for a bulky, heavier shotgun, which you then rack (giving you position away) vs. grabbing a wheel-gun with one hand and possibly a flashlight in the other safely as you creep up, take cover while still pointing the gun in the general direction of the perp.

3. In close quarters (where seconds matter) goodluck fumbling to aim the shotgun that sicks out a foot and a half out. With a wheel gun, most can go from holster to empty at the target if taught proper technique in less than 7 secs with fair accuracy. Shotguns, way slower.

Just my 2 cents.

U

user43770

@Bible_Belt eh 1911s feel good in the hand, but they're pricey and a pain to clean. I had a nice Springfield 1911 that sat around and looked pretty. Sold it and bought a Glock 21 SF. It doesn't feel like a 9mm, but no 45 does. Not sure why you said that.