What Should I Do?

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey,

Ever got the time where you have no choice and stick to a bunch tough, mean bully people in one area.

Well, one of my neighbors and his family are those people. They've been bother my family and I for a really long time by making a lot of noises in front of my apartment everyday from about 9:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. The kids always screaming and pounding some things, and the parents talk really loudly right outside my apartment every single day. I want to avoid them but I live right next door to them. This problem really irritates me.

Once, my dad nicely told them to please quiet down, and they want to beat him up just for that. The parents even taught his little kids to be mean to us too, but imitating Chinese language (we're Chinese, and the neighbors are black).

So then I wrote a letter to the manager of where I live, but he makes excuses that he only complains at 11 p.m. I know he was helping the neighbors since he's black too. The place where I live is really clean and comfortable for poor people like us. Even if i got a chance to move out, isn't really worth it. I really want some payback on them, like facing a bully.

Anything I can do to overcome this everyday problem. I mean, can't even study because they just bothering my family and me? If the manager wouldn't help us, who will? Should I call the cops? If I do all these, do you think they will gang my family and I up?

I just want a peaceful place to live like everyone else in this apartment.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hi i manage a hud apartment complex.

this is what i suggest you do .

1. start calling the police and say they are disturbing you when they are the loudest .

2. write a complaint letter .
it should say something like this :

6-9-05
Village Apartments,

attn: Manager

I, name and address, have a complaint on my neighbor , name and address.
the neighbors are loud at all hours of the day and night. i keep asking them to calm down and they continue to disturb my family.
i have complained about this before and nothing has been done.

please see lease section 14 houserules d: causing or permitting disturbances, loud or boisterous noises , any threatening or objectionable acts will not be permitted in the apartment community by any lessee, lessee's household members, lessee's guests or any one under the lessee's control is not permitted. in consideration of your neighbors, no loitering on the apartment community grounds will be allowed by any lessee, lessee's household members, lessee's guests or anyone under the lessee's control after 10:30 pm . in addition , all tvs, stereos, radios, musical instruments, audio equipment must be reduced in volume after 10:30 pm so as not to disturb your neighbors.

please send this resident a 15 day notice to stop disturbing my family so as we can enjoy our home in a quiet and peaceful enjoyment.

please ask them to stop giving us a hard time , discriminating , molesting and harassing us for being a little chinese. we dont give them a hard time for not being a little chinese.

for any questions or concerns , please contact me at 555-5555.
your name

you will have to change the information to your correct situation and find your lease. the lease will have a house rules section and this will be one of those things. i wrote out something similar in mine found at that lease section. you have to quote yours.

make a copy each time you complain.

do not tell the manager , but if nothing gets done.. send a copy to the main office of whoever owns the apartments and send one to hud!!

it will get taken care of if you start sending copies to hud saying the manager does nothing.

when the manager gets the complaint they send a lease violation to the resident and it gives like 15 days to correct the problem. if it keeps up they get another. after a while the manager can go to court to evict them, but you will have to go to testify against them.

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks for the advice,

But what I worry is will they start hunting me down if I take actions? I mean, they probably have friends that are tough too right, like the bullies for example.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
oh wait,

they won't know. ok
if they get the violation, they will figure out who complained without anyone telling them.
watch your tires, thats the first thing they flatten.

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by penkitten
if they get the violation, they will figure out who complained without anyone telling them.
watch your tires, thats the first thing they flatten.
Don't mind her, she's had a rough day.

al77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by penkitten
hi i manage a hud apartment complex.

this is what i suggest you do .

1. start calling the police and say they are disturbing you when they are the loudest .

2. write a complaint letter .

do not tell the manager , but if nothing gets done.. send a copy to the main office of whoever owns the apartments and send one to hud!!

it will get taken care of if you start sending copies to hud saying the manager does nothing.
penkitten,

I have a similar problem with loud neigbours.. wrote two complaint letters, for some time the neighbours became more quiet... than went back to their usually loud talking and partying.
All I know is where my leaseing office is.. how I go about finding
where is the hud?

There are some people at leasing office, should I find the manager and talk to him\her and giv eher my complaint letter?
or it doesn't matter who I speak to?

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well i suggested the other guy contact hud because he said he lived in low income apartments, which would have some sort of section 8 thru hud or rural devolpment. he has already spoke to his manager and the manager isnt doing anything about it .

the manager has to follow a legal process and do whatever his lease says and what the state laws say. in my state , i give a 15 day letter to correct the problem and then another and another until i can finally have enough proof that these people should be evicted and have evidence and then i can go to court .( our company has an attorney for stuff like this too )

if i were you, i would just write everything down in writting and then take it to the manager and sit down and talk to him a few minutes.
try not to get upset , just explain what has been going on.

then the very next time these people disturb you again, i would go right back down to the manager. then the manager can see the first violation did not convince them to stop and can send another .
this continues for a while and then they can evict them.

as for complaints, legally they cant say who complained however some residents will figure it out and give you even more ****.

if they do , call the police and complain more.

hope that helps.

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks for the advice.

the main issue that i'm worry is that they will give me sh*t if i take action. does anybody thinks calling the police will solve all these problems? after all, i'm sure they have friends or groups who are as bad as them. u know, like bully hangs out with other bullies, for example. if not, any advice that will keep me safe and my family as well?