what protein shake are you drinking?

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I had a chocolate shake claiming 45g of protein per scoop from the Vitamin Shoppe about a month ago. The price was very good too. Excited, I went ahead and bought it and it was nasty. But I already opened so I had to work with it. I don't want to make that mistake again!

I'm looking for chocolate flavored, decent amount of protein(should I go Whey isolate?) and not as expensive as the ripoff sh*t at GNC. Seemed like the Vitamin Shoppe had decent prices, but maybe there are better places and brands out there.

Brules Rules

Don Juan
Reaction score
I get Optimal Nutrition's double chocolate. It's like 24g of protein per scoop, something like 77 scoops per jar, and it's about $40-43 at the Vitamin Shoppe.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if you're going to go pre-flavored it's hard to beat ON for taste, the 5lb jar goes for $40 now from Amazon with free shipping. I used to buy it through one of their affiliates but had to pay shipping.

if artificial flavorings and sweeteners bother you, trueprotein lets you pick your own flavorings.

the reason to go with isolate is it has very little fat or lactose. this is ideal for a PWO (postworkout) shake, and also ideal if you are or suspect you may be lactose intolerant. you pay for getting that stuff filtered out, though.

JohnnyIrish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I also buy/use protein from trueprotein.com. (yeah as if my sig doesn't give that away). They have a great rep for quality.

I looked into the whey concentrate vs isolate and other then what throttle touched on (less fat and lactose), from all I read isolate is superior (its absorbed better) but by a very small margin. One so small you might not even recognize it through actual use. That coupled with the fact that isolate costs roughly 2x the price of concentrate, personally I think its not worth it (if I were rich and had money to burn I might reconsider.. but I'm not). Concentrate FTW

I use this whey protein specifically. You can add what ever flavor you want to it.

i am me

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i use optimum nutritions strawberry flavor...it tastes great and works well too. it has 24g of protein per scoop but its supposed to be really pure. why are u specifically looking for chocolate flavor?

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
quick thought -- don't get caught up in the 'protein per scoop' game -- they can make a scoop as big or as small as they want. look at the protein per $, that's what you're really going for, and make sure you're not getting stuff with it that you don't want.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Throttle said:
if you're going to go pre-flavored it's hard to beat ON for taste, the 5lb jar goes for $40 now from Amazon with free shipping. I used to buy it through one of their affiliates but had to pay shipping.

if artificial flavorings and sweeteners bother you, trueprotein lets you pick your own flavorings.

the reason to go with isolate is it has very little fat or lactose. this is ideal for a PWO (postworkout) shake, and also ideal if you are or suspect you may be lactose intolerant. you pay for getting that stuff filtered out, though.
I've heard good things about ON as well. Stronglifts swears by it for his whey. Might give it a shot next time I am ordering...

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Optimum Nutritions bananna.

yungahdubz

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire, which protein are you getting from myprotein.com?

Mad Manic

Banned
Reaction score
Chocolate favour from H and B, £ 11.99 a tub, wooohooo.

DonJuan11

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
I had a chocolate shake claiming 45g of protein per scoop from the Vitamin Shoppe about a month ago. The price was very good too. Excited, I went ahead and bought it and it was nasty. But I already opened so I had to work with it. I don't want to make that mistake again!

I'm looking for chocolate flavored, decent amount of protein(should I go Whey isolate?) and not as expensive as the ripoff sh*t at GNC. Seemed like the Vitamin Shoppe had decent prices, but maybe there are better places and brands out there.

That is sexy.

yungahdubz

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you have to be of a a certain age to consume whey powder? I was in Holland and Barrat and tried buying some of the half price whey protein, and the woman behind the counter asked me if i was over 18 as drinking it could damage my kidneys. She wouldn't let me buy it when i told her i was 15.

Also, Quagmire, do think this would be a good choice of protein from myprotein.com http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powders/protein-powders/brown-rice-concentrate/

Its only £8 for a kilo, with 22 grams of protein per scoop, not bad. Also its not made form whey, so it drinking it wont supposedly damage my kidneys.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The woman from H&B is exactly that, a women that doesn't know what she is talking about.

I don't know where people come up with this stuff, taking whey will not damage your kidneys and you do not need to be over 18 to take it. My god, she is talking like it is steroids.

I take 3-4 scoops of whey a day and so far, I feel fine. I actually had a blood test done a few months ago and by this point had been taking whey for some time. Guess what? My kidneys, liver etc were fine.

I'm also not sure but I don't know that the brown rice would have as good a nutritent profile as whey. Not sure on this, personally I'd just buy this:

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-supplies/flavoured-whey/whey-blend-(5lb)-(refill)/

Quagmire

SickAgain

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I got the 10 lbs protein isolate from Now Foods from vitaglo.com. It's pretty good stuff. $60 flat. Free shipping.

I blend 1/3 cup with 1/2 of oats and some water for my shake. I got the unflavored because it's healthier.