What job skills make you more valuable?

kabatura

Don Juan
Reaction score
Apart from having a degree, what things are employers looking for people to know that will make them more desireable and earn more. I am thinking corporate manegerial type of jobs. Example, my dad has been given a lot of training with Excel at his job, so I know that being proficient in Excel would definitely help.

MacAvoy

Banned
Reaction score
Technical skills like excel aren't huge in managerial type jobs. Transferable and soft skills. The ability to adapt, the ability to lead, inspire your troops. Don't be afraid to admit your faults / mistakes.

I'm not really in job hunting mode, so I can't think of anything else right now.

Wiesman44

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
kabatura said:
Apart from having a degree, what things are employers looking for people to know that will make them more desireable and earn more. I am thinking corporate manegerial type of jobs. Example, my dad has been given a lot of training with Excel at his job, so I know that being proficient in Excel would definitely help.
Corporate managerial job, best way to get in:

1) Ivy league degree or very high GPA from respectable school
2) Internship from firm your applying to, or a very good internship somewhere else from competition.
3) Connections
4) Skills: being ruthless, cuthroat, willing to kiss ass

Only way you can make it in the corporate world is by doing #4. I was in the corporate world for 2 years after college and i hated it. I'll never do it again.

L B

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great attitude, hardworking, willingness to do what others will not, ability to build rapport and get along with everyone (even if you don't like them), able to manage/babysit your staff, able to lead, and has a great ability to train a loyal team of staff.

Ken785

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The ability to COMMUNICATE and SELL!!! 2 most important in life and work!

Caesar20

Don Juan
Reaction score
#4.
also don't feed offended if your boss takes all the credit for your work at first, just do #4 more (the one that relates to the boss).

ZenGodMod

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm already a manager. Something i didn't think would happen so fast.

Here is my secret.

Everyone around knows the kiss butts do whatever it takes advice given. It won't excel you, it'll keep you alive to survive.

Be an unmovable piller that can't be attacked or shifted. Loyal to your beliefs and make people believers in you.

Once they believe in you, you can move mountains and divide seas.

Then your worth more them and become more then valuable

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Show up for work on time and often! I can't express enough how much this assist you when working for someone.

kabatura

Don Juan
Reaction score
I feel you Bible Belt. That's where I want to be also. But I am going to be finishing school in about a year and I'm thinking I may have to bite the bullet and be a schmuck for a while to make some money by one of the least risky ways. I am wondering what I can do now apart from the required schooling for my degree to make it much more likely for me to get hired and do whatever I can to make the initial pay scale as high as possible.

splinterkb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
People that know 2 or more languages are usually pretty valuable. If you know 3 languages.. you'll probably be guarenteed a good position.

Effington

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wiesman44 said:
Corporate managerial job, best way to get in:

1) Ivy league degree or very high GPA from respectable school
2) Internship from firm your applying to, or a very good internship somewhere else from competition.
3) Connections
4) Skills: being ruthless, cuthroat, willing to kiss ass

Only way you can make it in the corporate world is by doing #4. I was in the corporate world for 2 years after college and i hated it. I'll never do it again.
The top three are definitely big ones [ESPECIALLY #3]. As for #4, no one likes a brown-noser, but it's definitely important to get along with the bosses and fit in. In some companies, the bosses go out drinking with their departments--join in if that's the case. If they're family men then don't talk about your weekend barhopping adventure over the state. When it comes down to it, it's simply about reading people.

As someone else said, the ability to sell yourself is huge. That's basically your interviewing skills; sooooo important.

I think what the original poster is looking for are those tangible items for your resume that you can add to make you stand out. So you went to Random State U with a Bachelors degree in general business/english/journalism/whatever, and want an entry level job, but it's hard to differentiate yourself with those types of degrees because a lot of times you don't get specialized knowledge from those types of programs.

Excel is a huge one; a lot of places look for advanced knowledge. In my most recent job hunt, I'd say 75% of my interviewers asked if I knew pivot tables and vlookups. Any type of major computer system is a huge plus. Right now the big thing is SAP. A lot of older companies sometimes use AS/400, so if you learn some JCL you'd be in. For me, I took a few programming classes in college, so it was very easy to sell that I caught on very easy to any new programs if I didn't have any specific work experience with it. As someone else said, knowing multiple languages can be extremely beneficial, but that is with select companies. Another thing I'd do is join professional affiliations. For example, in my field, APICS is a large group and actually certifies its members in inventory management and is a very respectable certification.

Obviously my list is very much computer-based knowledge, but that's soooo important nowadays. I don't want to brag (Ok, I kinda do!) but 4 weeks into my new job, I'm already known as the Excel guy, where every manager in my division comes to me with spreadsheet questions, and I've saved my boss countless hours of work by automating several of his processes he used to do manually. It's been a great first impression.

It depends on what type of job you want, though. The *best* way is to go to monster.com and look at the requirements for jobs you are interested.

Hope this helps!

Aboleo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Forget all that stuff. Being a suit in a major real estate agency was one of the worst experiences of my life. Those people and all those like them are some of the most worthless excuses for human beings that I have ever seen.

Learn how to turn a lathe, run a milling machine and weld. If you can do these things then it doesn't matter what happens to the market, you'll have value when times get hard while all the corporate manegerial types will be running around like chickens with their heads cut off. If all you know how to do is play with software and suck corperate ****, then it is time to get your hands dirty and learn something useful!

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Caesar20 said:
#4.
also don't feed offended if your boss takes all the credit for your work at first, just do #4 more (the one that relates to the boss).
if you're working corporate, one of your basic goals for promotion/survival SHOULD be to make your boss look good

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ZenGodMod said:
I'm already a manager. Something i didn't think would happen so fast.

Here is my secret.

Everyone around knows the kiss butts do whatever it takes advice given. It won't excel you, it'll keep you alive to survive.

Be an unmovable piller that can't be attacked or shifted. Loyal to your beliefs and make people believers in you.

Once they believe in you, you can move mountains and divide seas.

Then your worth more them and become more then valuable
interesting advice. but what happens when you butt heads with coworkers who have equal or more leverage than you do?

ZenGodMod

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ready123 said:
interesting advice. but what happens when you butt heads with coworkers who have equal or more leverage than you do?
That is a very good question. Questioning is good!
The answer is to assure your answer is beyond question! Stand by it and they all follow.

Hard to grasp? Think about it. Then get back to me.

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ZenGodMod said:
That is a very good question. Questioning is good!
The answer is to assure your answer is beyond question! Stand by it and they all follow.

Hard to grasp? Think about it. Then get back to me.
so you would expect your boss to bend to you if your views are different?

that's a good way to get fired