Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

What is the RIGHT way to quit a company?

I love Hyori Lee

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi.

I need some help here. There's a company that I'm very unhappy with and I think I've decided that my final day of work is going to be in the beginning of next month. With each passing day, I've grown more and more unhappy with what's going with my company..ie. new management, poor compensation, terrible working conditions, etc.

What makes this a bit difficult..is that the company actually wants me.

But I've made up my mind. I love the people there but I don't think there's a future in this career that I'm in.

And it's not my co-workers that suck...it's the company.

And so I'm wondering what I should do to quit with "class". Have any of you dealt with this before and how do you deal with it?

Page

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
send a proper two-weeks notice.

While you're at it, drop the hint that you might consider staying (if you are open to that possibility) if you got better pay and better working conditions; the company wants you and therefore you have bargaining power.

Hyde

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm an assistant manager so I think I can give you a few hints.

- Put in a two week notice. I can't stress how important it is to put in your two week notice. It'll help both the company and yourself if you put the two week notice in. It'll give you a better job reference in the future on your application, and it'll give the company time to look for someone to replace you. Also, if you ever need a job in the future and you think about returning to the company, the company will be more likely to accept your request to work with them if you quit with a two week notice.

- Show up on your last day. This seems obvious, but I can't count how many times we've had people put in a two week notice and then not show up on their last day. It puts us in a rock and a hard place, because we have to find someone to cover that shift (and who-ever is there at the time usually ends up having to stay until we can find someone, which only makes that person angry).

- During those two weeks, work like you'd normally work. Don't slack, thinking, "I'm quitting, anyway".

- Look for another job in your spare time. This is for your benefit. You don't want to spend too much time being unemployed.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Page said:
send a proper two-weeks notice.

While you're at it, drop the hint that you might consider staying (if you are open to that possibility) if you got better pay and better working conditions; the company wants you and therefore you have bargaining power.
Most people who stay with a company if offered additional money usually leave within six months anyway. It's not all about the money if the working environment sucks.

Put together a proper resignation letter and send a copy to your boss and HR. DO NOT say anything negative if you are asked to have an "Exit Meeting." Whatever you say can be held against you if you ever need to use the company as a reference or for a background check for any subsequent positions.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hyde said:
...- Look for another job in your spare time. This is for your benefit. You don't want to spend too much time being unemployed.
I suggest having another position secured before putting in your notice. Believe it or not an employed person is much more marketable than an unemployed one.

djbr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Augie

Don Juan
Reaction score
First depends on your relationship with your boss, if you get along ask about moving to another role, if not start looking for another Job upon gaining Employemnt then offer 2 weeks notice and remain Professional until the last minute of the last day.